Charge for Cappuccino in MDR?

fsdj1097

Hello All,

Friends of ours just disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam yesterday in FLL. She sent a text to DW that they were charged for cappuccino in the MDR.

This was a 7-day Holiday cruise.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just off the Statendam (Dec 21) and we were NOT charged for cappuccino in the MDR. This seems to be rolling through the fleet but it's wasn't fleetwide as of Dec 21. We ordered it the first night (fixed dining) and after that it was brought without our saying anything at all, except to thank the server for remembering it.

From concerns raised on the earlier thread about new MDR beverage charges, the "filtered water" in the carafe that carries a fee was in evidence and I saw a few tables with it but it certainly wasn't pushed; no one ever approached us about it. The carafe itself is very attractive; maybe they should just offer those for sale. ;)

A neighboring table on Christmas Day was ordering dessert... they were talking very loudly, so I heard it all (whether I wanted to or not ;)). They ordered specialty coffees... and the dining steward requested their key cards to apply the necessary charges. They were "surprised" (negatively, of course) by the change. I noticed that the charges were NOT on the dessert menu.

12/26 and 12/27 we ate elsewhere. We were back in main dining on 12/28... and I noticed the charges were listed on the dessert menu. For 12/29's International Menu (the one with the dishes from different regions of the world), there was no listing for specialty coffees in the dessert sections... so no prices.

<snip>

From concerns raised on the earlier thread about new MDR beverage charges, the "filtered water" in the carafe that carries a fee was in evidence and I saw a few tables with it but it certainly wasn't pushed; no one ever approached us about it. The carafe itself is very attractive; maybe they should just offer those for sale. ;)

I agree. I had the same experience on the N.A. I wonder if they concentrate more on people that drink "bottled" water.

A neighboring table on Christmas Day was ordering dessert... they were talking very loudly, so I heard it all (whether I wanted to or not ;)). They ordered specialty coffees... and the dining steward requested their key cards to apply the necessary charges. They were "surprised" (negatively, of course) by the change. I noticed that the charges were NOT on the dessert menu.

12/26 and 12/27 we ate elsewhere. We were back in main dining on 12/28... and I noticed the charges were listed on the dessert menu. For 12/29's International Menu (the one with the dishes from different regions of the world), there was no listing for specialty coffees in the dessert sections... so no prices.

Hello trvlcrzy, what ship were you on over the Christmas holiday?

We were on Westerdam 12/16-12/23 and never charged for espresso or cappuccino in the MDR. I saw a display for the filtered water at the entrance, but it was never mentioned by our dining staff. We were given and drank regular water out of the pitchers. No charge, tasted fine.

HAL has been "pushing" the filtered water for a bit now - I experience it last May and again in Dec, 2012. One of the waiters even seemed confused when we requested the "normal" water from the ship - which is quite good IMO - after he offered the bottled water. Dumb like a fox as they say.

DaveOKC

We were on the Zaandam 08Dec12 to 29Dec12. There were not any charges for cappuccino or expresso in the main dining room and there was no prices on the menus. (main or desert) Are passengers happy now that HAL has changed the star status and added a fifth star for 500 days? Take care.

Just off the Zaandam this morning. No charge for cappuccino/espresso in the main dining room at any meal. The filtered water (said it was sparkling) was being pushed at first for $9.95 for a refillable carafe for the meal. I'm sure the waiters were required to push it. Saw a few takers. The other night, it was down to 99 cents for the carafe. Still didn't want it, the regular water is totally fine.

Just off the Zaandam this morning. No charge for cappuccino/espresso in the main dining room at any meal. The filtered water (said it was sparkling) was being pushed at first for $9.95 for a refillable carafe for the meal. I'm sure the waiters were required to push it. Saw a few takers. The other night, it was down to 99 cents for the carafe. Still didn't want it, the regular water is totally fine.

We didn't get asked about buying the water, but at times they were quite pushy with selling drinks.

Archived