Just home from the Legend with a brief review.

sherin65

The Great:

Embarkation was very smooth.

The service staff on the ship was some of the best I've encountered anywhere.

Chocolate melting cake.

The Amazing Cozumel Race excursion.

The X-Rails to Green Grotto Caves excursion.

Serenity! Such a nice area on Carnival ships and I Loved that the staff removed the items of chair hogs trying to save seats for 2+ hrs!

The very good and good:

The ship itself-it's about 10 yrs. old and in really good shape.

The comedians were hysterical.

Majority of the food at the buffet and dining room.

The just okay:

The ships staff of entertainers and shows. I feel the singers and dancers were talented but the shows carnival purchased this year were not as good as those I've seen in the past.

Shopping could have been better. The choice of clothing items on board wasn't very exciting.

It seemed as if there were often times where there just wasn't much to do. I solved that problem with some naps.

Coral Breezes tours in Belize.

Rony's tours in Roatan.

The sad: A man passed away on Christmas Eve. I cannot imagine how hard that was for his family. My thoughts and prayers were with them often throughout the trip.

The BAD!!!:

Disembarking, not because it wasn't handled well or anything, but because I had to leave.

Kinda Cool:

Making a detour on the way home to spend NYE in Nashville. Made me feel like I was still on vacation and slightly postponed my post cruise depression. ;)

If you have any questions just ask.

Sher

I haven't read any bad reviews but I have seen people comment and express concern about bad reviews.

In my opinion, the time you have on a cruise largely depends on your attitude and how you handle different situations that come up.

Our cruise wasn't perfect but it was fun and we were able to work around some of the potentially bad things.

For example, I read bad reviews about premier parking just a day or two before we were heading to the port. We decided not to cancel. We had my husband drop us off at the port with all of our luggage and then he took the shuttle alone (he did have to wait for a bit). After the cruise, he ran to the lot and drove back to pick us up. Their shuttle service is lacking but our car (brand new) was safe and undamaged and the cost was half the price of parking at the port.

The Coral Breeze tour began fine. There were 10 of us in our group so they gave us our own boat with a captain and guide.

While snorkeling at the second stop, our guide got a ticket because the ratio is 8/1 and we had 10 ppl. He explained that two of us were just observers but that didn't make a difference. That took probably 20 min or more. Then, the guide was visibly bothered so he wanted to go back to where the boss (and the bigger tour boat) were and talk to him about it. In hindsight, he should have taken us to Caye Caulker (we were right there) and dropped us off so we could shop/eat, etc. before handling the ticket problem. That only gave us about 40 min. and the restaurants were all packed by the time we finally arrived. Thus, we only had time for drinks and nachos instead of lunch and didn't get to shop at all. We were full throttle back to the ship to make it on time.

I understand that the guide was upset and was only doing what he was told, but come on...those companies all know the rules.

Otherwise it was fine, like I said, we had our own boat and the tour guide was very nice and informative. We learned a lot about the area. It was an inconvenient snag and didn't ruin our trip but earned it a "just okay" for me.

I too, thank you for posting a review of this GREAT ship. We've cruised "Legend" a bunch of times, and have ALWAYS enjoyed our "Legend" cruises. It seems to me that very often, folks who enjoy their cruises seldom post a review, but if they have a bone to pick, the first thing they do is sit down, and post a review. Guess that's human nature? :confused: Anyway, welcome home, and time to book another cruise! :cool:

"SKY"

Help?

We're going out on the Legend next week and were curious if there is a Carnival sponsored costume party at any time during the cruise???

We've been several times before but could't remember if there is a scheduled event for one???

Couldn't find one in the old Carnival capers either

Thanks

I too, thank you for posting a review of this GREAT ship. We've cruised "Legend" a bunch of times, and have ALWAYS enjoyed our "Legend" cruises. It seems to me that very often, folks who enjoy their cruises seldom post a review, but if they have a bone to pick, the first thing they do is sit down, and post a review. Guess that's human nature? :confused: Anyway, welcome home, and time to book another cruise! :cool:

"SKY"

I sailed her several times and have 2 more scheduled! When are you going next?

My cruise in November was probably one of my very best.

OP, did you have a balcony? Mine was missing the sheer curtain and I'm wondering if they've all been removed.

Can you comment on the food in the MDR and your service. I have read so many bad reviews about the food quality and poor service. I realize that this is an overall personal issue but you were just on board so I thought your experience would prove helpful.

Thank you

OP, did you have a balcony? Mine was missing the sheer curtain and I'm wondering if they've all been removed.
We did not have a balcony. Our friends did and I know they loved keeping the door open at night but I do not recall what the curtain was like, sorry.

We're going out on the Legend next week and were curious if there is a Carnival sponsored costume party at any time during the cruise???

We've been several times before but could't remember if there is a scheduled event for one???

I do not recall any type of costume party listed in the activities.

Can you comment on the food in the MDR and your service. I have read so many bad reviews about the food quality and poor service. I realize that this is an overall personal issue but you were just on board so I thought your experience would prove helpful.
Our service was overall very good. We ate all of our dinners in the mdr and had early seating which was packed. Two nights out of the seven our service was painfully slow. All the other nights were fine. The servers were very nice and attentive. I LOVE bread and all the bread choices were great. The dinners were all good to very good with one exception. I did not order the brisket but several ppl at my table did and they were not happy with it. They did however, enjoy their dessert that much more and went out to the buffet area for pizza later that night. IMO brisket is not a good cut of meat. It is very fatty and needs to be slow cooked for hours to make it tender. I had doubts as to whether or not cruise ships chefs know this about brisket so I stayed away from it. Turned out to be a good idea. My family/friends said it was fatty and tough.

I had soup twice that was fabulous, I think one of them was potato and the other was the french onion, the shrimp was good, the filet was good and so was the salmon.

I didn't eat dessert every night but I had the chocolate melting cake which was awesome, the tiramisu was very good and some kind of apple caramel thing was ok but a bit too sweet for me (not a huge fan of caramel so, subjective).

I don't drink coffee but for those that did the waiters were very efficient with refills, etc.

One night when we were not planning much for after dinner, we walked up to the buffet to check it out. If we hadn't been with a large group of ppl for dinner each night, we may have had dinner up there a couple of times. The choices seemed to be almost everything from the dinner menu.

I gained 4 lbs so I guess they did all right ;)

Hi Sher,

I've been on the Legend twice before and will be again last week in Feb. Do they still do the conga line after dinner and in addition to the past guest party, do they still hold a captains cocktail party?

• 4 weeks later...

I do not recall a conga line after any of the dinners. I think there was a captains reception or party of some kind but it was on the promenade and we never found it.

I forgot to mention earlier that when we boarded and went to the buffet area for lunch, there were servers passing out free champagne. We drank several glasses. Don't recall that ever happening before.

Archived