Cruises to Italy/Mediterranean

jakeHOU97

Hi there, my extended Family and I recently had an debate. We want to go on a vacation to Italy/Europe area, and I suggested a cruise, since there is cruises that go to quite a few Italian ports during the trip.
So my question is, is it better to do a cruise to the Italy/Mediterranean rather than flying to Italy and viewing the countryside. Is the cruises Europe/Italy good ports and is there enough time in port a day to do stuff?
Thanks

[quote name='jakeHOU97']Hi there, my extended Family and I recently had an debate. We want to go on a vacation to Italy/Europe area, and I suggested a cruise, since there is cruises that go to quite a few Italian ports during the trip.
So my question is, is it better to do a cruise to the Italy/Mediterranean rather than flying to Italy and viewing the countryside. Is the cruises Europe/Italy good ports and is there enough time in port a day to do stuff?
Thanks[/quote]Wow, you will get a lot of feedback to this. We did our first trip to Europe on the Liberty. It gave a good flovor of everything and we spent a couple of days pre and post cruise in Rome.

:DWe are finally getting to Europe this year. But only a couple days pre TA

So we are going to be doing a Med cruise next year since there are so many places to see and we like to cruise. Spend a few days pre or post cruise as well. Maybe even do a B2B
While I dont think there is enough time in ports to do everything. We will just have to do another in a few years

Btw here is a good thread about 12 day med cruise
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1759692[/URL].

Tough decision. I have only done land trips to Europe previously. I have enjoyed each of them but we also didn't move around a lot; spending several days to a week in a city or area.

We are currently waiting for 2014 itineraries for Mediterranean cruises. We are celebrating several things that summer and my oldest is very interested in ancient history so we think this will be the best way to hit several cities/countries in one shot.

Most itineraries seem to spend 10-12 hours in port. You can do quite a bit in that amount of time with really good planning. Will you see everything? Not even close. What you will get is a taste of each place you visit. You will make great memories, see some of histories most remarkable places and have meaningful family time.

If you do decide on a land vacation check out Rick Steves and Fodor's; both have been invaluable in my own travels.

We did the Breeze Mediterranean cruise last June and it was fantastic! We sailed from Barcelona and spent two days there first. It was so easy going to all those fantastic ports from the comfort of your cruise ship. We saw Marseilles, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Dubrovnik, Messina and Majorca and Venice all in 12 days. There were only 3 sea days so we saw alot. There was ample time in the ports as long as you started your day as soon as you were allowed off the ship. Being on the Breeze was just such a relaxing way to travel, you only have to unpack once and no travel between ports. It was nice getting back to the ship after a long day and soaking in the hot tub!

I would say land vacation and choose three places and really spend time there without worrying about getting back to the ship on time, transfers, etc.

I want to cruise the Med, but I've already travelled a lot through Europe. But no way you can see Rome in a day and it's probably my favorite city in Italy. :)

I have been 2 times, first, study in France at 20 and the grand travel afterwards..3 back to back land tours one of them with one week on ship to see some Greek Islands and Jerusalem and Cairo. When 26, I went back to just London and Paris, places I really got to know before and loved..with a few days in Caen, Normandy where I studied and a few days in Brussels where the cheap round trip ticket took me...it is great there by the way.

I now long for several Med cruises and a few more place intensive stays when I decide where. I think with good planning a cruise could be better, more relaxing with a family, and more economical than a bus or do it yourself tour unless you are really budgeting with places and food.

People's well planned trips here are fabulous to read and help..and i second Fodors, Frommers, and especially above those 2 Rick Steeve's everything for planning..i lived with them in my dream plans in 30's and 40's and time to do again....whatever you do, have a blast..sarah

PS..all this comments are for seeing several places. Picking one place for day trips is good to...say one big apt in Rome or Paris and many day trips..ahh so hard to decide.

We are going to do both, do the Sunshine 12 Nights with pre in Italy. Already spent a lot of time in Rome, so going to do 4 nights in the Tuscany area, then was thinking of Milan. Has anyone spent time here, is 4 nights a good amount of time to see the area. Any must sees, Lake Como area looks pretty but not sure what there is to do

We did this last year and after traveling around Europe for 2 weeks we were so ready to get on a ship. The cost to eat around Europe is very high, just trying to decide where to go 2 to 3 times a day takes a toll on your nerves and your money. Having to pack and unpack gets old too, a cruise is the best way to go with a pre and post stay at places you really want to spend more time at

[quote name='goofycruiser']We did the Breeze Mediterranean cruise last June and it was fantastic! We sailed from Barcelona and spent two days there first. It was so easy going to all those fantastic ports from the comfort of your cruise ship. We saw Marseilles, Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Dubrovnik, Messina and Majorca and Venice all in 12 days. There were only 3 sea days so we saw alot. There was ample time in the ports as long as you started your day as soon as you were allowed off the ship. Being on the Breeze was just such a relaxing way to travel, you only have to unpack once and no travel between ports. It was nice getting back to the ship after a long day and soaking in the hot tub![/quote]

I agree with this post. We cruise for the comfort and the cost savings. Cruising allows us to see several countries with one vacation and have unique adventures while knowing we have our cabin to call home. The cost savings for a cruise cabin each night versus a hotel is huge, IMHO. We love "living" on the cruise ship versus staying in a hotel, paying for food, finding a place to eat, maybe he's hungry & I'm not or vice versa, having entertainment available basically 24/7 versus having to plan transportation to & from activities, etc. Unpacking once is a huge benefit, too!

Get a copy of [I]Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports[/I]and read up on your possible ports. He tells you what you can see in the time you have, and it might help you decide if a cruise is the way you want to go. EM

[quote name='jakeHOU97']Thanks everyone. I just wanted to see people's past experiences and opinion. I personally want to go on a cruise, while others want to go on a land trip. Hopefully I can talk them into a cruise.;)[/quote]
You are welcome...:). Hope you find the perfect thing..Sarah

[quote name='Essiesmom']Get a copy of [I]Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports[/I]and read up on your possible ports. He tells you what you can see in the time you have, and it might help you decide if a cruise is the way you want to go. EM[/quote]
It has been a while since I have read him...went to his talks in Oregon way back..great that he has a book on actual Ports...thanks...Sarah

[quote name='jakeHOU97']Thanks everyone. I just wanted to see people's past experiences and opinion. I personally want to go on a cruise, while others want to go on a land trip. Hopefully I can talk them into a cruise.;)[/quote]

I do think cruising is definitely the cheapest way to see Europe, especially if you plan well. :) The Greek island cruise I went on was amazing and super port intensive. I felt like I was hardly on the boat at all.

This would depend on your style of vacation, I think. I know my BIL said that on their first trip to Europe, they'd want to do a land vacation to get a true taste of Europe. However, we decided to do a cruise. Accomodations are cheaper on a cruise, and you will get to see some of what each stop has, and probably more of the country. If you do a land vacation, and you want to see the majority of the must-see sights in each city, you will likely only get to 1 or 2 cities or you will need to spend a much longer time in Italy.

One is probably not better than the other, it just depends on what your expectations and wants are.

I have done three med cruises now and loved them all. They really are an economical way to get a taste of each place. No you can not see it all and I suggest not to even try. I always say do your reserch and make some tough decisions about some ports. There are quite a few ports in the Med with many offerings and you will have to make a choice (Livorno-Cinque Terre or Florance) Naples (Capri, Pompeii or Amalfi Coast), etc. Personally, I hate the break neck tour bus trips. I couldn't imagine doing some of the tours I see people do in places like Rome, etc. Usually, your port times will be pretty long so you will have enough time to get out there and see a lot. On the other hand, they are usually port intensive cruises so consider that. You won't use too much of the ship's facilities as people do on a Caribbean run.

The are other things you should look at to really maximise your trip. Pretty much any departure port is worth a couple days stay (Rome, Barcelona, Venice, etc). Also, if you are using award points for flights some companies will let you do some good things with them. We used Delta miles for one trip. Delta allows multiple city stops for the same amount of points as a typical round trip flight. We flew from Atlanta to Amsterdam (where we stayed for three days) then to Barcelona (caught the cruise) and back to Atlanta for the same amount of points as it would have cost to fly to Barcelona and back.

Med cruises are amazing and a totally different beast then a Caribbean trip. There are hardly any "throw away" ports on a Med run. If you are one that likes to do the reserch beforehand, then you will be in heaven.

[quote name='tiggerman101']I have done three med cruises now and loved them all. They really are an economical way to get a taste of each place. No you can not see it all and I suggest not to even try. I always say do your reserch and make some tough decisions about some ports. There are quite a few ports in the Med with many offerings and you will have to make a choice (Livorno-Cinque Terre or Florance) Naples (Capri, Pompeii or Amalfi Coast), etc. Personally, I hate the break neck tour bus trips. I couldn't imagine doing some of the tours I see people do in places like Rome, etc. Usually, your port times will be pretty long so you will have enough time to get out there and see a lot. On the other hand, they are usually port intensive cruises so consider that. You won't use too much of the ship's facilities as people do on a Caribbean run.

The are other things you should look at to really maximise your trip. Pretty much any departure port is worth a couple days stay (Rome, Barcelona, Venice, etc). Also, if you are using award points for flights some companies will let you do some good things with them. We used Delta miles for one trip. Delta allows multiple city stops for the same amount of points as a typical round trip flight. We flew from Atlanta to Amsterdam (where we stayed for three days) then to Barcelona (caught the cruise) and back to Atlanta for the same amount of points as it would have cost to fly to Barcelona and back.

Med cruises are amazing and a totally different beast then a Caribbean trip. There are hardly any "throw away" ports on a Med run. If you are one that likes to do the reserch beforehand, then you will be in heaven.[/quote]
Very nice post! Right on target.

Land pkgs are expensive while cruises tend to be better bargains. You will just get a taste of Italy with a cruise while you can become immersed on a land trip. Rentng an apartment is econimical for families. For first timers I suggest Rome, Florence, and or Venice or Naples/Sicily/so. Italy.

I think if you were to sit down and price out hotels, meals, transportation between cities (not to mention the time) you can't beat the daily cost of a cruise to visit several places in Europe. Another benefit is the ship moves from port to port in the evening (while you rest & relax). Traveling between cities in Europe, even by train, takes time & money. In my opinion, train travel in Europe isn 't cheap. It is not as expensive as flying, but more than a few ducketts. I also no longer have the energy or patience for a "bag drag." If your excursions are well planned, you can see a lot. I do think private excursions are the best at covering a lot of ground and seeing what YOU want to see, as opposed to the typical "hurry up & wait" for the ship's busload excursion.

Archived