Is Oceania Luxury?

stephlovesdogs

We are booking a cruise for our honeymoon and want a luxury cruise. We were looking at Silversea but don't like all the formal nights; seabourn but don't like the smoking policy (could have smokers in the balcony next to us), and came upon Oceania but are wondering if it is a true luxury experience. We are fine that it isn't all inclusive- we aren't heavy drinkers and can figure out the tips in the overall price before we cruise.

But- is the food as good? Do they cater to special requests like other luxury lines do (for example, one of us is lactose intolerant but loves lates- we want to ask for lactaid at the coffee bar, or if one of us really wants a specific food for a meal- on luxury ships they will go out of there way to get it)? Is the service as good? I see some drawbacks already- seems like poor room service options if you don't have a suite, limited specialty restaurant reservations...

Just curious what folks say who have cruised the "luxury" cruise lines as well.

We haven't really travelled "luxury" lines so cannot compare there.

But those of us who are foodies love Oceania for its excellent food. While O doesn't categorize itself as "luxury" if you are in a top suite (Oceania Suite, Vista Suite or Owner's Suite on Riviera or Marina, Vista or Owners on the older ships) I think you will find the digs quite luxurious.

Yes, they cater to special needs. You just need to let them know in advance.

It sounds like maybe you want a lower cabin on a luxury line. How important are the formal evenings vs smoking, etc., to you?

I think you will find the lower level cabins on O's newer ships more luxurious (certainly larger) than they are on the older ships.

We've always thought the service is wonderful on O, but have seen complaints from others. It's always hard to know if complaints are justified or if someone is expecting too much, or if it was an aberration in service.

Personally, I think O sounds like a good combination of what you are looking for -- little or no smoking, no formal nights, great meals and service.

Good luck on making your decision! O's passengers tend to be older, if that would bother you as honeymooners. (Of course, I realize that honeymooners aren't necessarily 20 somethings! One of our best dinners on an O cruise was with a couple in their 70s who were newly weds ... they met online.)

Hope I helped you at least a little! Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Mura

I wouldn't call it luxury but it is pretty darn nice. As you are aware, it is not all inclusive and the extras are very pricey. Nice cabins and comfy beds. We did Concierge level and found the lounge to be welcomed although the concierge himself was useless. You have a better chance of getting your dinner reservations when you want since you can book them later than the suites but earlier than standard cabins. Suites were too rich for us. We only had 3 dinners in the MDR on a 10 night cruise on the Marina. We had our 4 allotted reservations and, the other nights, we checked for cancellations and got lucky. One night the Maitre 'd said the wait for the MDR was too long and found us a shared table in Toscana. Food was very good as was the service. I am sure Oceania will more than satisfy your needs. And, congratulations on starting your new life together!

You might investigate Regent Cruise Line...same owners as Oceania but usually thought of as luxury. Almost no smoking onboard - no formal nights. Country club casual will be fine at dinner. Drinks, tips and excrusions are included in the price and a hotel one night stay before the departure. We've been on both and we enjoy them both. Can't stand formal nights and neither of these cruise lines have them.

You can't go wrong with either.

We are booking a cruise for our honeymoon and want a luxury cruise. We were looking at Silversea but don't like all the formal nights; seabourn but don't like the smoking policy (could have smokers in the balcony next to us), and came upon Oceania but are wondering if it is a true luxury experience. We are fine that it isn't all inclusive- we aren't heavy drinkers and can figure out the tips in the overall price before we cruise.

But- is the food as good? Do they cater to special requests like other luxury lines do (for example, one of us is lactose intolerant but loves lates- we want to ask for lactaid at the coffee bar, or if one of us really wants a specific food for a meal- on luxury ships they will go out of there way to get it)? Is the service as good? I see some drawbacks already- seems like poor room service options if you don't have a suite, limited specialty restaurant reservations...

Just curious what folks say who have cruised the "luxury" cruise lines as well.

The beauty of an Oceania Cruise is that one may make it as luxurious, or as affordable, as is desired.

That said, there is no free lunch, and if you are looking for service and accommodations similar to Silversea or Seabourne then you'll need to book something larger than a Penthouse on Oceania, and at that level the prices are not so very different.

220605.jpg Aside from a spectacularly larger, lavishly decorated cabin, booking such a Suite will also include virtually limitless access to the Specialty Restaurants, VASTLY improved Room Service, priority boarding, priority tendering, a complimentary In Suite Bar Set up, and the services of a Butler who will make it his business to grease wheels for you on land or at sea, for the duration of your cruise. Absolute Heaven!

Food-wise, ANY cruise Line will accommodate dietary restrictions such as lactose intolerance, particularly if given enough notice, and with the number of Restaurant Choices on the Oceania Class ships, finding a specific food is usually as easy as reading through their various menus. The level of choice is amazing.

Whatever you decide, Congratulations and I'm sure that we all wish you a brilliant Honeymoon!

We are Regent "regulars" who are about to take our first Oceania cruise. Realising that many things that are included in the Regent fare are extra on Oceania we sorted of "concocted" an all-inclusive fare for ourselves by counting the pre-payed tips, buying the larger of two "liquor packages" , adding in what internet will cost us on Oceania vs free internet on Regent and of course pre-paying our excursions (which is not optional!). We also chose a far larger suite than we would have had on the Regent Navigator (an Oceania suite vs a Navigator suite) and, at the end of the day, are not paying all that much more for the very same 10 day itinerary - Western Caribbean. Indeed, according to my spreadsheet, our Oceania cruise is costing us just over $1000 more for the two of us (not pp) for the cruise. I do need to note that we did not get a reduction for having travelled with Oceania before, since this is our first time. And we would get that reduction on Regent. AND were I to compare apples to apples I should compare the Oceania Suite to the Master Suite on the Navigator since it is about the same size. With that comparison Oceania becomes whopping $4k pp cheaper, all in!!

Now the question remains - will it be what I call "luxury". And that I can only answer on 23rd Jan when we leave the ship. I hope it will be!

Jimandstan -- which suite was the photo you used on your post? Looks like a Vista suite to me? ...

Up until '08 when we took our first Oceania cruise, we were Regent regulars (gold). We put a premium on space and always booked larger suites. Our first O cruise was a B2B Valparaiso to Rio in OS. Since then have always booked Vista or OS. In our opinion, O equals or exceeds Regent in service, food and accomodations (in the larger suites). Taking into consideration the inclusive factor, O offers significantly greater value, more casual dress environment, and more variety and interest in itineraries. In the larger suites, O certainly could be described as high value luxury.

To the OP

For true luxury, considering chartering a small yacht -- seriously -- I have done it and depending on the boat you pick and level of cuisine is can been quite affordable.

Luxury is not sailing with 750 or 1000 others -- IMO -- no matter what line you choose.

And for a honeymoon - wow -- I can think of nothing better.

I do need to note that we did not get a reduction for having travelled with Oceania before, since this is our first time.

We have never gotten a reduction other than the $200 coupon that you get when booking a cruise within 45 days of getting home from the last cruise

Maybe suite passengers get better deals ;)

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Up until '08 when we took our first Oceania cruise, we were Regent regulars (gold). We put a premium on space and always booked larger suites. Our first O cruise was a B2B Valparaiso to Rio in OS. Since then have always booked Vista or OS. In our opinion, O equals or exceeds Regent in service, food and accomodations (in the larger suites). Taking into consideration the inclusive factor, O offers significantly greater value, more casual dress environment, and more variety and interest in itineraries. In the larger suites, O certainly could be described as high value luxury.

Oceania to me is Luxury as good as Regent.

It has several aditional luxury, for me, features. The discourage families and kids, The ships are 600 to 1200 pax.

It is a low key casual elegance. Everything you can get on Regent is available if you want. But you get to pick what you want when you want....That to me is luxury.. the ability to go up or down on a daily or hourly baisis as the mood strikes you

But the true benifit of Oceania is the fellow passengers one meets... well mannered, well spoken , well traveled and low key.

That is the gem quality people on a quality ship...

My DH and I have sailed on Regent Seven Seas Navigator. All inclusive. Great service. We were in Princess Grill and Queen's Grill on the Queen Mary 2. Lots of formal nights. Three on a six or seven day crossing. Not all inclusive, but certainly luxurious. Seabourn, all inclusive, very lovely. On all these ships, we had a butler and we loved every one of them. So, on Oceania we go PH3, also with a butler. Excellent space. We love the specialty restaurants, the quality of the food, and the casual elegance. The other passengers are also assets, as they are generally a happy lot. Oceania has a luxury feel. It's nice to have all soft drinks, waters and fancy coffees included. No surprise as Regent is owned by the same company. If you want the all inclusive feel, they now offer beverage packages. With one, a major all inclusive feature is added. After all, on Regent for example, drinks are included in the price. Management knows what liquour, tips, excursions et. al. will cost. They just collect it up front. We certainly expect to enjoy our March 4th Riviera cruise. This is how I see it. Have fun making your choice.

Having sailed on Oceania, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent, our overall choice is Oceania.

IMO, they have the best food at sea, period (especially on the O class ships).

I think the service on Silversea is far more attentive and personal but it comes at a price ($$$$ & formal nights).

Neither Seabourn nor Regent have enough for us to justify the higher price (we do not drink) to cruise on their ships, except for itinerary.

For a special occasion (as this one is) choose a PH or higher cabin on the Riviera cruise - I think you will enjoy it very much.

JMO.

Oceania began with the chosen niche of "Upper Premium", a step above such lines as Celebrity and HAL, but below true Luxury such as Regent, SilverSea, Seabourn or Crystal. As the years unfolded and Oceania began setting standards, the public and travel writers began to call it Luxury, even though Oceania had not made such a claim.

With the advent of Marina, followed by Riviera, the label of "Luxury" became almost ubiquitous, and Oceania began to incorporate it in their promotions.

Oceania has always epitomized luxury for me, as I define it as policies, attitude, service, training, attention to details, maintenance and condition of the ships. Throw in things like artwork, fabulous bedding, etc., and it's tough to top it.

If you define luxury as all-inclusiveness, or formal dress-up (costume?) nights, then Oceania is still just under the mark, but those things don't mean luxury to me. Cost-wise, Oceania can be made to be more expensive than some of the so-called luxury lines, especially when those other lines are lowering prices to snag customers.

There are some things that make Regent more luxurious, such as the ability to special order food preparation, and the space ratio. I wouldn't consider any of the other "luxury" lines due to various policies which are unacceptable to me.

As a long time Crystal cruiser who is currently aboard the Riviera for his first O cruise, I can weigh in on this. The ship is beautiful and luxurious and, so far, the food has been excellent. Apart from a couple of venues that we miss like the Bistro and the Avenue Saloon piano bar, the main difference that we have found is service. The FDR video says that you are not a number but "family". On Crystal you actually feel like family as the guys who work the Pool deck and breakfast and lunch buffets take a personal interest in you and remember not only your name, but your wants and desires, what your wife wants, etc.

Although the service in the restaurants is generally pretty good, the staff takes no personal interest in you and hardly interacts. Near the pool there is so little help that no one asks if you want anything from towels to drinks.

So, verdict so far:ship is luxurious, service is not.

We have always felt like family on the R ships. I'm afraid some of that may have been lost on the larger O ships.

"Is it luxury?" For us it is luxury without the name and stuffiness and formality that goes with that title as well as the prepaid drinks and excursions which we would be paying for for others. Great almost all non-smoking

casual atmosphere.

Ii does not get too much better than an Owners Suite, Vista Suite or Oceania Suite on Oceania as far as we're concerned.:D

We have always felt like family on the R ships. <snip>

"Is it luxury?" For us it is luxury without the name and stuffiness and formality that goes with that title as well as the prepaid drinks and excursions which we would be paying for for others. Great almost all non-smoking

casual atmosphere.

I agree

We did not have a problem on Marina with service by the pool... there was always waiters/staff passing if you wanted something

They are not going to keep asking if you want a drink like other lines

I find that annoying

If we want a drink & too lazy to go for a walk to get it I just give the waiter a nod when he passes & he takes our order even if it is just for a glass of water

From what I have read most luxury ships do not have 1200 plus passengers so the staff can learn your name a lot faster/easier

To me it is not a big deal if they know my name or my preferences

Staff remember us from cruise to cruise & we are looking forward to see some friendly familiar faces on our upcoming cruises

Not sure how things work on the Luxury lines as I have never been on one nor have any wish to be on one

Of course we are not demanding passengers that require a lot so that may be the difference

Just plain folk;)

Lyn

Although the service in the restaurants is generally pretty good, the staff takes no personal interest in you and hardly interacts. Near the pool there is so little help that no one asks if you want anything from towels to drinks.

I have to differ as well, although I do realize that these things can change from ship to ship, and crew member to crew member. But we have had lovely interactions from crew members who always seem to remember us from a previous cruise and/or a different ship. Sure, not all do, and maybe you've been encountering those who are more aloof.

Not arguing with your perceptions at all because you are there and I am not. But your experience so far doesn't gibe with my experience on O.

Obviously, it is easier for crew to remember passengers on the "R" ships than the larger new ships.

Mura

I have to differ as well, although I do realize that these things can change from ship to ship, and crew member to crew member. But we have had lovely interactions from crew members who always seem to remember us from a previous cruise and/or a different ship. Sure, not all do, and maybe you've been encountering those who are more aloof.

Not arguing with your perceptions at all because you are there and I am not. But your experience so far doesn't gibe with my experience on O.

Obviously, it is easier for crew to remember passengers on the "R" ships than the larger new ships.

Mura

I tend to agree -- which is why I love those R ships -- but if the poster to whom you responded is a frequent Azamara cruiser that might explain his perception of the service. As described by O cruiser Cinti Pam on another thread who just returned from her first Azamara cruise, the officers and crew are far more "involved" with passengers on Azamara than on O. That seems to be a common standout area for those praising Azamara and the reason Azamara cruisers give A higher marks.

As a long time Crystal cruiser who is currently aboard the Riviera for his first O cruise, I can weigh in on this. The ship is beautiful and luxurious and, so far, the food has been excellent. Apart from a couple of venues that we miss like the Bistro and the Avenue Saloon piano bar, the main difference that we have found is service. The FDR video says that you are not a number but "family". On Crystal you actually feel like family as the guys who work the Pool deck and breakfast and lunch buffets take a personal interest in you and remember not only your name, but your wants and desires, what your wife wants, etc.

We have been on 11 Oceania cruises and what I have noticed over time is that the staff begins the cruise on a more formal and reserved note and they begin to "loosen" up as the cruise progresses, especially if you are very friendly with them. Of course, now with so many O cruises under our belt, we are welcomed as family by some of the staff from the minute we step on board. We must remember that some people, not I, don't care for the more informal treatment and therefore the staff needs to take its direction from us.

Archived