Is Oceania Luxury?

stephlovesdogs

Lucky you! How do you manage that?

Our tea is at 4PM and trivia at 4:30 - not really possible to "enjoy" tea without missing trivia. Maybe just a "quickie tea" at best :D

What are your times?

Maybe he does what we did: skip 4:30 PM trivia which attracts people too intense, and therefore not enjoyable during my vacation, and just go to the evening trivia, which is filled with people out for some fun, and perhaps mellow from a few libations.:)

Maybe he does what we did: skip 4:30 PM trivia which attracts people too intense, and therefore not enjoyable during my vacation, and just go to the evening trivia, which is filled with people out for some fun, and perhaps mellow from a few libations.:)

There indeed is a big difference between the two :)

Trivia has been at 10:00 am on sea days and 5:15 on port days so time to spare after tea. Cruise director Nolen Dean keeps it fun. By the way, he performed his comedy and singing act tonight in Horizons at 10:30 and it was a big hit and a lot of fun. I also might add that our group of 6 had our first evening meal of the cruise in the Terrace tonight and everyone came away impressed.

I have been giving this a bit of thought

Luxury for Joy and I would be to wake up around 10 am and have

a full breakfast with real Toast served up in one of the larger suites.

Luxury would be someone doing the Washing / Pressing of clothes

Luxury would be the Butler who was invisible 99.9% of the time.

Luxury would be the bed having 4 really good pillows and a

lightweight Doona or blanket and all that other rubbish on beds

these days out of sight till we leave.

Luxury would be an A/C that works and is adjustable between 18c

and 22c.

Luxury would be all the overpriced rubbish in the bathrooms disapear

as Joy has found the Magic Elixer when it comes to her face :p

Luxury would be able to go tho Red Ginger every night of the week

if we wanted to.

Luxury would be able to turn up the Stereo and listen to Who's Next

at a reasonable level

etc etc

Most of this we do anyway

So what is luxury really ??

Steve

I do have a comment on Oceania's laundry rooms. On Crystal the laundry rooms are free, but that causes them to be overused which can lead to uncomfortable situations with pax competing for washers, removing other people's clothes who leave them too long, leading to disagreements, etc. Oceania, by charging a nominal fee for the washers, results in machines being always available and no uncomfortable, tense situations...brilliant!

In fact, many of the ways that O does things appears designed for low or no stress, from open dining to restricted smoking to casual dress. Your world, your way!

I do have a comment on Oceania's laundry rooms. On Crystal the laundry rooms are free, but that causes them to be overused which can lead to uncomfortable situations with pax competing for washers, removing other people's clothes who leave them too long, leading to disagreements, etc. Oceania, by charging a nominal fee for the washers, results in machines being always available and no uncomfortable, tense situations...brilliant!

In fact, many of the ways that O does things appears designed for low or no stress, from open dining to restricted smoking to casual dress. Your world, your way!

Crystal's laundry rooms are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Therefore, I have never had a problem finding a washer or dryer. Of course the best part is that they are free. Oceania's laundries have restricted hours. In addition you are charged for using their washers and dryers. To me that sounds like nickel and diming on the part of Oceania.

Crystal's laundry rooms are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Therefore, I have never had a problem finding a washer or dryer. Of course the best part is that they are free. Oceania's laundries have restricted hours. In addition you are charged for using their washers and dryers. To me that sounds like nickel and diming on the part of Oceania.

One could look at it that way, obviously, but the cost was nominal and it worked out perfectly for us (meaning my wife, actually).

It's nice that cruisers have the option to do their laundry while on vacation, but since this thread is about luxury I would have to say that doing your own laundry on vacation is not luxury in any universe.

Yet all the "true" luxury lines have free laundry rooms. I can't, for the life of me, understand why. They actually have very reasonable rates for their laundry and the service is excellent.

It's not about money. My wife likes to do laundry when on board, and many people prefer to wash their own delicate clothing rather than send it out to a commercial type laundry. We were entitled to a free pressing of clothing and never used it.

It's not about money. My wife likes to do laundry when on board, and many people prefer to wash their own delicate clothing rather than send it out to a commercial type laundry. We were entitled to a free pressing of clothing and never used it.

Please clarify whether it was the pressing or clothes you never used:D

Rich

Yet all the "true" luxury lines have free laundry rooms. I can't, for the life of me, understand why.

What I cant understand is why they offer (in the case of Oceania) anything lower than Penthouse Suites. :p

Of course the best part is that they are free. Oceania's laundries have restricted hours. In addition you are charged for using their washers and dryers. To me that sounds like nickel and diming on the part of Oceania.

Just remember that "free" is a relative term. You paid for your "free" laundry in Crystal's cruise fare up front (and probably a lot more than a couple of bucks) :D

It's not unlike Oceania's "free air" but here at least you have a choice of taking it or leaving it :)

Just remember that "free" is a relative term. You paid for your "free" laundry in Crystal's cruise fare up front (and probably a lot more than a couple of bucks) :D

It's not unlike Oceania's "free air" but here at least you have a choice of taking it or leaving it :)

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but on the Crystal board I once started a thread called "Tales of the Laundry Room", and you would not believe the variety of stories, many of them bad tales of tension, anger, and misbehavior of passengers competing over the free washers and dryers, opening dryers without re-starting them, leaving laundry in after it is done, removing others' laundry, etc.

As I mentioned before, my wife likes to keep our clothes washed, whether we really need them or not, and it may be surprising, but that little $4 charge on Riviera seemed to cut way down on laundry room use, and caused machines to be readily available with no stress. We would happily pay for it every time rather than have to hope that we can find the free ones on Crystal available at various times, competing with unhappy people for a freebie. Ah....human nature!

What has a waiter or steward asking "where you are from" to do with "Luxury"?? Personally I do not care to have staff ask where I am from - even less do I care to have staff "assume" I am American when I am not!! But I suppose they can tell from my accent that I am not... It is nice when a waiter who serves one often addresses one by name but this is not at all necessary nor expected (and I would faint if they called me by my first name anyway!!) To me the luxury comes in the attentiveness of the service and not in how I am called.

In all our cruises on Regent very very few waiters called us by name. Stewardess and Butler - of course. But aside from the CD and Social Hostess, no one else. And I really would prefer to keep it that way.

We agree wholeheartedly. We do not like the repeated interrogation on where we are from, etcetera, nor faux friendliness. Efficient and pleasant service, with a smile, is all we find necessary.

Archived