Ship's time = Local time??

anjoliza

Friends of mine are planning excursions for an upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess and are wondering if the arrival and debarkation times listed would be the local time or not?? Anyone know?

It's almost always local time. I've never had it otherwise on a Princess cruise. The Patter will give you 24-hour notice of a time change and your cabin steward will leave a reminder card on your bed during turn-down the night before the time change.

I realize that once on board they will notify you about changing the clocks. It just that they are wondering if the itinerary on the website says that they are docking Curacao at 8 a.m., could they count on that as being in Curacao time?

Yes. The arrival time is local time. If the ship is docking, allow at least 30 minutes before arranging up meet someone onshore. It takes time to secure the ship, deploy the gangways, board the local officials and receive clearance.

On a couple of Princess cruises, the ship was not on local time (it was an hour off). They made a big deal about it in the patter when it happened. Pay attention to the patter.

I think the question is being asked so the poster can arrange a tour at the proper time. Learning about it in the Patter is too late.

However, there have been plenty of posts that the time on the ship at this port is local time.

I think the question is being asked so the poster can arrange a tour at the proper time. Learning about it in the Patter is too late.

However, there have been plenty of posts that the time on the ship at this port is local time.

You are right.

I have been on cruises to the Caribbean where the ship time was different than the port time. It is always stated clearly in the Patters about the difference and is widely published and announced on the ship including a large sign posted on the gangway as you leave the ship.

You can easily arrange tours because the tour operators know about the time difference. Really all they want to know is the ship you will be on and the date. The ship's arrival and departure time is well known by the tour operators and they will operate on the ship's time. This is their business every week the ship calls on that port.

It's almost always local time. I've never had it otherwise on a Princess cruise. The Patter will give you 24-hour notice of a time change and your cabin steward will leave a reminder card on your bed during turn-down the night before the time change.

I got off of GP this morning. The trip was out of FL and went to Aruba, Curacao and Princess Cays and ships time was moved forward one hour on the first or second night but we did not get that hour back until the last night (after Princess Cays, which should have been the same time as Ft Lauderdale). I'm guessing that in "real" ports they will always make sure ships time is the same as local time or it could be really confusing.

I got off of GP this morning. The trip was out of FL and went to Aruba, Curacao and Princess Cays and ships time was moved forward one hour on the first or second night but we did not get that hour back until the last night (after Princess Cays, which should have been the same time as Ft Lauderdale). I'm guessing that in "real" ports they will always make sure ships time is the same as local time or it could be really confusing.

When they change is up to the Captain and I've had a few cruises when they changed the time twice in one day, but that was on the last sea day so it didn't bother any tours.

I have been on cruises to the Caribbean where the ship time was different than the port time.

I as well. But, I frequently read here that princess always changes to local time.

For instance, I was on Ruby in December. We flipped from Eastern

time to Atlantic time enroute Ft. Lauderdale Princess Cays.

Bahamas is on eastern time, making ship's time one hour off.

I'm guessing that in "real" ports they will always make sure ships time is the same as local time or it could be really confusing.

This is not correct. I have had many real ports where ship time and local time are different.

Archived