Noise problem on Solstice cabins 6240 and 6242 and more?

swansnz

Thanks swigso. I am told this is a 30% obstructed view. Did you find this a problem. We were thinking of moving but after your comments we are staying put.

We stayed in 6240 on the Solstice. It is like a 0% obstruction. No problem whatsoever!

Like I mentioned, we loved this cabin and would book it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks swigso. I am told this is a 30% obstructed view. Did you find this a problem. We were thinking of moving but after your comments we are staying put.

Where did you get this information from? Have you even looked at the deck plans?

I am very confused, because there is no obstructed view on 6240 Silhouette. Loved the cabin, and have since booked it again.

Travel agent told us. 6242 is partially obstructed. We didn't choose the cabin. It was a guarantee.

Even this one will have very little obstruction ... mostly if you are looking towards the aft ... more so in front of the cabin next to you but still not as blocked as the 2D category which actually has a tender that reaches up about midway of your balcony. For the 2Cs, there are lifeboats that only reach the height of the floor of your balcony so you really won't have anything blocking your view. I wouldn't worry about the obstruction in either of these cabins. 6240 or 6242. Great location if you ask me.

I think it's not the fact of noise, but the type of noise. You can be unbothered by noise at home because you've become accustomed to it over time... I've slept happily with noises such as traffic and snoring in the background. But the noise I experienced on the Solstice was at a certain, constant pitch, a humming sound that went on and on constantly, an unrelenting whir of sound that left me feeling borderline headachey all the time. It wasn't like a sudden burst of chatter or laughter as someone passed the cabin door, or some talking coming through from the cabin next door, or music outside, it was a never-ending same-pitch hum and it was awful.

I wrote to Celebrity and was informed there IS an issue due to some machinery... they didn't elaborate. I asked which cabins are affected so that if I book again I can be selective. She didn't tell me, she just said when I want to book just phone them and ask about it. That's not how I book... I find great deals online and I jump onto them. So I'm a bit nervous to book on Solstice every again.

Edited by sofmall

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, I am reporting back on my experience on the Solstice. Most nights the noise was steady, constant and comparable to that of in-wall motel a/c units. I found it sleep-friendly; however, on two nights vibrations were quite loud and varied in intensity. It seemed loudest in the bathroom.

The view was only slightly obstructed. We looked down on a small boat, not one of the larger lifeboats, and only a rolled, covered canopy protruded to the bottom of our veranda.

For me, the drawback to the location of this cabin (and others on Deck 6) are the lights from the deck below. Even though starboard side is non-smoking on that deck, there were a few nights when folks gathered there and the noise from them carried to us.

As promised, I am reporting back on my experience on the Solstice. Most nights the noise was steady, constant and comparable to that of in-wall motel a/c units. I found it sleep-friendly; however, on two nights vibrations were quite loud and varied in intensity. It seemed loudest in the bathroom.

This is exactly what our experience was....very loud in the bathroom and you could even notice it in the hallway. If you were in the bathroom, even with the door open, you couldn't hold a conversation with anyone in the bedroom area. I think you described it well, it was like the AC unit in a motel. It was a lot less noticeable in the bedroom area. To us, we love the white noise so this worked out perfectly....lulled us to sleep.

Thanks for reporting back TMLAlalum. We will be in 6240 in October and while I am slightly nervous about the noise I am hoping the bigger balcony and handy mid-ship location will make up for it. Besides, I always travel with earplugs so hopefully won't have a problem sleeping. I am more concerned about noise coming from the deck below when we are trying to relax on the balcony. Did you find it very intrusive? And how was the balcony size compared to a regular one?

Eloise

Thanks for reporting back TMLAlalum. We will be in 6240 in October and while I am slightly nervous about the noise I am hoping the bigger balcony and handy mid-ship location will make up for it. Besides, I always travel with earplugs so hopefully won't have a problem sleeping. I am more concerned about noise coming from the deck below when we are trying to relax on the balcony. Did you find it very intrusive? And how was the balcony size compared to a regular one?

Eloise

We had 6240 on the Solstice up in Alaska -- never any noise from below on our cruise. It could get noisy if everyone decided to use that as their meeting spot ... you know, right below your cabin. This is on the non-smoking side which was a plus as not as many people congregating on our side. The fan noise in the room actually would drown it out a bit if inside. We never heard a thing, though.

The location is perfect and the balcony size is huge. Definitely enough to hold 3 sets of chairs and tables. We were with a party of 8 and never felt crowded when all out on the balcony together. 6242 has a bit smaller balcony and from the sounds in the hallway, I would say very similar to that of 6240.

We had 6240 on the Solstice up in Alaska -- never any noise from below on our cruise. It could get noisy if everyone decided to use that as their meeting spot ... you know, right below your cabin. This is on the non-smoking side which was a plus as not as many people congregating on our side. The fan noise in the room actually would drown it out a bit if inside. We never heard a thing, though.

The location is perfect and the balcony size is huge. Definitely enough to hold 3 sets of chairs and tables. We were with a party of 8 and never felt crowded when all out on the balcony together. 6242 has a bit smaller balcony and from the sounds in the hallway, I would say very similar to that of 6240.

Thanks for reassuring me about the noise from below Cruise Raider. Of course it will vary from cruise to cruise and day to day but I'm confident it won't be an issue.

Wow re the size of the balcony, it sounds enormous :). I don't suppose there's any chance of beng able to get a sun lounger out there! I think Celebrity are quite strict about that kind of thing ;).

Thanks for reassuring me about the noise from below Cruise Raider. Of course it will vary from cruise to cruise and day to day but I'm confident it won't be an issue.

Wow re the size of the balcony, it sounds enormous :). I don't suppose there's any chance of beng able to get a sun lounger out there! I think Celebrity are quite strict about that kind of thing ;).

I'd ask your cabin attendant if he could arrange a sun lounger for you. On a Royal Caribbean ship we had a huge balcony and I spoke to the cabin attendant and came back a little later to find two sun loungers on our balcony, along with the regular chairs and table.

I was in Cabin 6242 on the Equinox last summer and there was no noise what so ever (OK, couple in the room next door often had their TV a little loud but... :p).

Great cabin location. Yes the view was a little obstructed but still a great cabin. Here are some pictures of the obstruction. The verandah was not that much larger than a normal verandah but there was a difference and I liked the slant.

Would be OK with this cabin again.

IMG_00000338.jpg.49bfbda7ca38fde9e37329e10b9706da.jpg

IMG_00000339.jpg.de4ca013b8dc8a474bad2a428ec5ab96.jpg

IMG_00000340.jpg.b41785e7bbedba4ef4db273bdd6f26dd.jpg

IMG_00000341.jpg.9785b86740d60401fb70eb8c5e4ddd37.jpg

IMG_00000342.jpg.edabe18150400984a82d80acac0802e6.jpg

Edited by RickT

The view was only slightly obstructed. We looked down on a small boat, not one of the larger lifeboats, and only a rolled, covered canopy protruded to the bottom of our veranda.

For me, the drawback to the location of this cabin (and others on Deck 6) are the lights from the deck below. Even though starboard side is non-smoking on that deck, there were a few nights when folks gathered there and the noise from them carried to us.

thanks so much for taking the time to give us some feedback on 6240 Solstice. We are happy to take what comes but so far it sounds all quite positive. The size of the balcony will be a bonus and if the "humming" noise does get on our nerves, I guess an extra nightcap or two will allow us to sleep through it. Again, thanks to all who have commented on this particular cabin.

Just off the Solstice this morning, and we also had 6240. All I can say is that the location and balcony make up for any noise that we heard. As others have said, it was sort of a white noise 99% of the time. Every once in a while there would be some rattling noise, but I hardly noticed it. Absolutely no noise from below.

But during our cruise they were doing some sort of construction somewhere near us. I could never see any going on anywhere, but every morning at 8 am it started up with the power drills and pounding. It sounded like they were building another ship somewhere inside our ship! Since there were no inside cabins in our hallway maybe there is some kind of construction shop behind those walls.

It was still a great cruise with lots of good entertainment and wonderful ports. I can hardly believe I have now been to Australia and New Zealand. We were just in Akaroa last week and now they just had a major earthquake in Christchurch. We felt one when we were there, but this one seems to be more damaging.

thanks so much for taking the time to report on the cabin, we are more than confident that it will be just great. So glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise, poor old NZ just keeps copping it with the earthquakes but I understand no one was hurt.

• 4 weeks later...
We were in cabin 6240 on Reflection in January. It was very quiet and also a great location. We have 6240 booked for Equinox in October from Barcelona.

We are booked in 6240 on the Reflection next January for the Caribbean. Glad to know its quiet, but is it a completely covered balcony? And what exactly is the obstruction? Thanks for your help.

Berni

We are booked in 6240 on the Reflection next January for the Caribbean. Glad to know its quiet, but is it a completely covered balcony? And what exactly is the obstruction? Thanks for your help.

Berni

I wouldn't even call it an obstruction. You are able to see the butt end of one of the little boats if you are right at the railing. I do not remember seeing anything while sitting down on the balcony, which is completely covered. You could get wet if it were raining if you are standing at the railing, otherwise, it is completely private.

Be sure to come back to this thread and let us know if it was quiet or not. I've never sailed on the Reflection but on the Solstice, there was an audible white noise, especially in the bathroom. We loved it as we like white noise....others, maybe not so much. I think it is a certain tone that some people cannot hear.

Just wondering if the noises reported affect cabins above ....like something that goes up a shaft?

Some nice S class humps have air intake noises (discussed on other threads) but we just try and block it out ...a high pitch whirring noise or fan would be a bit more difficult!

The cabin sticky notes are really the best way to get info, altho as mentioned, opnions can vary...

I've never sailed on the Reflection but on the Solstice, there was an audible white noise, especially in the bathroom. We loved it as we like white noise....others, maybe not so much. I think it is a certain tone that some people cannot hear.

Believe it or not - Sometimes that audible white noise in the bathroom is the shower vent in the ceiling not being tight enough. I've had that before in other cabins. Reach up and screw it in a bit more.

As I previously posted way back, 6240 on the Silhouette is quiet. And I'll be in there again in October.

Believe it or not - Sometimes that audible white noise in the bathroom is the shower vent in the ceiling not being tight enough. I've had that before in other cabins. Reach up and screw it in a bit more.

As I previously posted way back, 6240 on the Silhouette is quiet. And I'll be in there again in October.

No, I seriously doubt that is what it is. It is reported as some type of mechanical noise from below....had nothing to do with these types of things in the cabin itself. It is quite loud while in the main hallway and affected a couple of rooms to the aft. It was a droning engine or loud fan type of noise but not like something was loose ... like I said, they are aware of it but it did not bother us at all. You could barely hear it if out on the balcony. If you were in the balcony, you wouldn't really be able to hear someone if they were talking to you. My experience was on the Solstice.