How soon can you go ashore from the ship after it docks?

svetas74

Hello everyone,

I am looking for information regarding being able to ashore. If the ship (Norwegian Jade in our case) is scheduled to dock in port at 7:00 am (it will be Athens), can you go ashore right away or do you need to wait for the cruiseline to go through the clearance. I just came back from a Princess cruise and we were able to go out as soon as the gangway was out, which was pretty much instantaneous after docking (or maybe we docked a bit earlier, but the gangways were ready at the SCHEDULED docking time. Is Norwegian different?

Thank you very much,

Svetlana

All ships have to go through clearance before passengers get off.

Every cruise I have been on, they have arrived way before the scheduled (dock) time and they clear fairly quick. The Captain will always announce that they have docked and are just waiting for clearance. Then they will make another announcement that they have cleared customs and you can get off the ship at that time. So I have learn that the time they have listed as "in port"...like 7am-6pm...means that they are usually cleared by that time but you will have to listen for the announcement. :)

Archived