avoid being left behind

The mom gave a flippant "Sorry" as she was getting on.

You went all the way down to the boarding deck to talk to her as she got on the ship?

That's dedication to watching late-comers!!!!!

If you mean that from 6-13 decks away you looked down on an ant-sized person and thought you saw her make a hand motion that you then interpreted as "flippant" in nature, then your story holds a lot less water. If I were running late, I wouldn't worry about the people shouting at/whistling at/heckling me from the upper decks, my apologies would be to the staff as I boarded.

If you were down there with them, then I'll buy your term of "flippant" because you would know.

First of all, I don't leave the kids on the ship. Secondly, people with type A personalities and a touch of obsessive compulsiveness are rarely late for anything!;):D

Indeed, my point exactly ;)

You went all the way down to the boarding deck to talk to her as she got on the ship?

If you mean that from 6-13 decks away you looked down on an ant-sized person and thought you saw her make a hand motion that you then interpreted as "flippant" in nature, then your story holds a lot less water. If I were running late, I wouldn't worry about the people shouting at/whistling at/heckling me from the upper decks, my apologies would be to the staff as I boarded.

If you were down there with them, then I'll buy your term of "flippant" because you would know.

Cathep was talking about someone they saw on a TV show. :rolleyes:

If I remember the post correctly, the poster said that they saw this on a TV show or something :confused:

Ha Ha!! very likely. Who would leave their kids onboard? I guess some do this--but, what a chance they are taking.

I would imagine that sometimes a parent wants to do a particular excursion that the child isn't old enough for, and/or the child prefers to spend the day at Adventure Ocean.

If you hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it:eek: I don't cruise on Royal with my kids, ( till now when they are teens) but can you leave the kids in the kids program on port days? I didn't think so, but again, don't have much experience, and the few times I did cruise with the kids when they were little, they always did excursions with us. Come to think about it, even as teens they went on excursions with us;)

Yes, you can. Adventure Ocean is open, in part for the reason stated above- there are port activities that parents may want to take part it but the minimum age is 12 or 16 and little junior is only 10 so he can't go along or he doesn't want to.

My favorite was in Ocho Rios many years ago. We were just backing off the pier (only about 5 ft off) when a guy and his wife were running down the pier. The guy (not a small guy) was about 30 yards ahead of his wife (also not "petite"). She was running, actually waddling fast, with four large shopping bags, 2 in each hand. As they got to the ship they were trying to get the Capt. to return. I began yelling "jump" but my wife saw no humor in that. :) Anyway, some locals kept trying to talk to them but to no avail. Finally as the ship kept pulling away they figured out that the locals were going to ferry them to the ship. But I bet the guy had "hell to pay" for making his wife carry all the bags as he left her in his dust to run to the ship.

A few years ago, scheduled departure time came and went in Curacao, and two passengers' names were called several times over the intercom. After about half an hour or so, we watched a cab arrive. Two women got out and make their way along the pier in no particular hurry. Once they were aboard, the captain announced that "the chlldren were happy to be reunited with their mothers" and away we went!

Cathep was talking about someone they saw on a TV show. :rolleyes:

Thank you!!!

And by the way, both the Oasis and the Epic shows were very interesting - much better than the normal building the ship or sales pitch shows. Lots of behind the scenes info with some insight into operational decisions.

Ah yes... The running of the drunks. Always good for a laugh...

or so we thought until one cruise on Voyager out of Galv. in Cozumel, when we returned, I was a little tipsy and couldn't get my card to ding, I looked for someone, but no crew was around and so Todd said, it's o.k. you pushed it in, come on...and we went to shower and get ready for our first sitting meal. So we go on deck with our friends and procede to giggle and gear at the late comers when the loud speaker says, "Will passenger Rebecca Wells please report to guest services". We and our friends were dumbfounded, we'd been aboard since 2:30. I had to go and tell them that, but darn, I somehow do not think they believed me! It was funny though.:D They issued me a new card.

First of all, I don't leave the kids on the ship. Secondly, people with type A personalities and a touch of obsessive compulsiveness are rarely late for anything!;):D

Except for their own funeral.:D

ROTFL this is hard to believe. What Mother in the wildest of dreams would not plan to be on board the ship at least 1 hour before leaving? Gee whiz was she drinking too much Captain Morgan's at the local bar?

I plan to board the ship way before the stated time which is why I like getting into the port city as soon as we are allowed off. This gives us time for a nice tour and a bite to eat in the city before reboarding.

I wish you videotaped this and put it on YouTube for us to see(:. This is the best entertainment around watching people missing the ship. I can see if the cruise tour was late then they hold the ship but on independent tours and your late then I have no pity for you. This is the reason why you should always negotiate before with the tour guide to be back to the pier at least 90 minutes before the ship leaves.

I wondered if the Mother got back 5 minutes after this her kids would be sailing away. What if this were a trans atlantic cruise and that port was the last port before the crossing? 8 days without Mom. The kids would not notice that Mom was missing until they went to the stateroom and no Mom.

Archived