Formal Night Question

themutis

For our last couple of cruises we have done Windstar and enjoyed the casual dress code.

For our upcoming Celebrity Reflection cruise, will my husband be ok on formal nights in khaki's and a blazer? He'd like to avoid bringing a suit, if khaki's and a blazer are acceptable.

For our last couple of cruises we have done Windstar and enjoyed the casual dress code.

For our upcoming Celebrity Reflection cruise, will my husband be ok on formal nights in khaki's and a blazer? He'd like to avoid bringing a suit, if khaki's and a blazer are acceptable.

It is not technically within the dress code but in reality he will not be turned away.

Perfectly acceptable. Enjoy your Cruise.

Thank you all for your replies - I understand that a lot of people love the formal nights and we want to be respective of that. I'll relay the info to my husband and let him decide.

Can't wait to be on the Reflection!

Will he feel out of place among men in tuxedos and business suits? You know your husband best. Khakis and a blazer are more for "smart casual" nights. He won't be turned away from the dining room, but it doesn't fit the definition of formal.

Are tuxedos the norm on formal night? One thing I enjoyed about Azamara night is there were no formal nights...MDR and speciality required nice shirts and pants...no jeans...most of the time I wore a casual dress to MDR and the speciality restaurant.

Do you have to participate in formal nights? Are the meals they serve much better on formal nights? I believe they are held in the MDR...correct? I have nothing against dressing up....I just don't want to bother with the extra weight of formal clothing.

No.

Midwestchick asked

Are tuxedos the norm on formal night?

Not necessarily, but tuxes, business suits and dinner jackets far, far, outnumber other forms of more casual dress for those nights

Do you have to participate in formal nights?

No, you can eat in a specialty restaurant, have pizza at the buffet, or order room service, among other options.

Are the meals they serve much better on formal nights?

Some say yes, some say not so much. There should be some lobster dishes on formal night, and some sort of fancy steak.

I believe they are held in the MDR...correct?

Yes

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I know everyone has their view on this, and I don't want to upset anyone. We respect that people love to dress up and look forward to seeing everyone in all their glory. We will always be appropriately dressed and will never stand out :)

Midwestchick asked

Are tuxedos the norm on formal night?

Not necessarily, but tuxes, business suits and dinner jackets far, far, outnumber other forms of more casual dress for those nights

Do you have to participate in formal nights?

No, you can eat in a specialty restaurant, have pizza at the buffet, or order room service, among other options.

Are the meals they serve much better on formal nights?

Some say yes, some say not so much. There should be some lobster dishes on formal night, and some sort of fancy steak.

I believe they are held in the MDR...correct?

Yes

Okay...now you have my interest perked ;)......lobster is my all time favorite food and good lobster is hard to come by where we are, not to mention cost...$40-$50 a pound, if you're lucky...and that's Maine lobster. Does the Silhouette offer lobster in other restaurants on any given night...say for instance the speciality restaurants.

By the way...thank you for your response. :)

Just FYI Celebrity doesn't serve MAINE lobster. (How would they get it?)

Based on what I've read on CruiseCritic, the lobster served are warm-water rock lobster tails.

How would they get it? The same way other restaurants get it.... Frozen.

Yes, although it does drive the clothes police on these boards wild!;)

Other than the lobster dish prepared tableside in one of the specialty restaurants, I can't say that you should expect wonderful succulent, lobster. Sometimes the lobster tail served in the MDR on formal night is very good, but sometimes it disappoints.

I could always put on a sassy little dress and check out the MDR and leave DH somewhere....chow down the lobster and then find him again. ;) :D In all honesty, I was disappointed with the lobster in the speciality restaurant on Azamara.....very disappointed.

Thank you jackdiamond...I will check out the menu for Blu if I can find it...I'm sure there must be a menu listing somewhere...either here or possibly their website.

Okay...now you have my interest perked ;)......lobster is my all time favorite food and good lobster is hard to come by where we are, not to mention cost...$40-$50 a pound, if you're lucky...and that's Maine lobster. Does the Silhouette offer lobster in other restaurants on any given night...say for instance the speciality restaurants.

By the way...thank you for your response. :)

Mainer here..... Lobster here right now is $4.50 a LB. It was down to $3.25 this summer. Cheaper than hot dogs.T heres a lobster pound exactly one mile down the road. ;)

Yes, although it does drive the clothes police on these boards wild!;)

I think I posted a dress code question on the Celebrity forum a while back...which ever forum it was, it was not real well received....but then....the only "dumb question" is the one you never ask. ;) I'm a true believer that's what forums are for...and so many times I don't have time to search topics and go pages and pages back....it simplifies my life to ask a question...even if it's been asked repeatedly.

Mainer here..... Lobster here right now is $4.50 a LB. It was down to $3.25 this summer. Cheaper than hot dogs.T heres a lobster pound exactly one mile down the road. ;)

I know...I have friends on the East Coast...I've actually looked in to having it shipped to me...again...cost prohibitive....sad, isn't it? :confused: :( :(

I think I posted a dress code question on the Celebrity forum a while back...which ever forum it was, it was not real well received....but then....the only "dumb question" is the one you never ask. ;) I'm a true believer that's what forums are for...and so many times I don't have time to search topics and go pages and pages back....it simplifies my life to ask a question...even if it's been asked repeatedly.

You are so right, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked so please feel free to ask it. The most important thing that has to be remembered with the dress code questions is to distinguish between personal opinions and the actual written dress code.

Unless you buy it at Walmart, where it's the only thing that cost more, and I love that!

(From Maine as well)

As far as the Lobster in Murano, they make it table side with a way overdone sauce. Just asked them to grill it and serve it to you with a little sliced lemon and none of the sauce. It will be good, but nothing like what we get (especially during soft shell season).

Have fun!

Archived