2013 WC Part 1.

duct tape

I am going to scream! I just posted a long report of our great day in Manila and it got erased!! Let's try again.

Fernando, etal will be going on vacation after the WC. I assume he will return to the Spirit but I will ask.

Manila! Moonsoonal rains. It did not matter. There was such joy, happiness and general exuberance that it was contagious! We were greeted by an excellent marching band and a dance troupe. They performed so well in the rain that nobody went inside. The ship was overrun by 100s of Filipinos, parents, children and extended family. There were 2 men on crew that I know of, that saw their sons for the 1st time. Tears all around. Local children put on a show before we sailed. There were more tears when we sailed but everyone enjoyed the day!

@ sea between Manila and Hong Kong. Since we are back to sea the bad weather continues. It is gray, occasional showers, 40-45K winds, 50K gusts and 15-18 ft seas. Rockin' and rollin' one more time. Formal night cancelled, no dance lessons today :) and no crew march:(.

Hong Kong, day #1. Had a fitting with the tailor. Good stuff. Hubby's blazer and trousers perfect! Got lost in the HUGH mall a few times and then hung around the ship. Another perfect dinner in LaTerrazza while we watched the harbor activity and the lazer show. Lots of luggage in the halls!

Hong Kong, day #2. Off to the city and a wonderful lunch @ the Peninsula.

Hong Kong to Singapore, last segment for us. !/2 of the WC comes to an end. This segment we will be only 296+: In-transit 211, disembarking 117, embarking 85, Venetians 252 and 23 1st timers. PLEASE ask the weather gods to do a better job. I just can't go home without a tan!

Hello Duct Tape. Are you able to tell us what time dinner is served from, both in the restrauant and La Terezza. Do they still do the 'always available' menu's?

We have been enjoying your journal. hope the weather picks up. Are there many doing the whole of the world cruise?

Error rectified. In Chan May today, overcast but pool still do-able. I hear the sun will come out later. Shuttle bus to a resort. Lots of all-day excursions to not-to-be-missed sites: Hue, Hoi An and Danang. The DR opens 7:30 with last seating @9:30 and La Terrazza is 7 PM to 10 PM. The "always available menu" continues in the MDR. There are currently 120 on the whole WC, 40 of which are Regent refugees. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Duct Tape for another update, speaking of Regent Refugees--are Bill & Linda on board (spend most of the day at the pool bar), if so pls pass our warm regards along.

Wes do you mean Mike and Linda? Know them well.....actually at table at mutual friend's house at Thanksgiving. Small world of SS.

Yes, my bad, Mike & Linda, pix below of us at a birthday dinner. Believe your friends were on the Spirit crossing with us in Nov 11, they spent time with Mike & Linda, one night they even had dinner at La Terraza on the veranda.

001-8_zps98a7658f.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Wes. Brings back great memories! Mike and Linda cruised with us on Radisson/Regent for several years and we all went to SS together in 2008 because of the Appollo smoking policy change. I knew they were going to Seabourn because of the SS change. We're sticking with the Nov SS cruise to see if I can live with the change. If not, we'll switch to either Seabourn( not really much different than the SS smoking policy ), or Crystal. Maybe even Cunnard. Maybe you'll be able to give us a read after your April Spirit cruise.

You both obviously know how to live well!!!

Thank you for your posts.......

Full moon, smooth seas to you both.

My other half came up with a brilliant idea for dinner last night - the ship was sailing out @ 7PM...hhmmmm...why not have a table set up aft on the Terrazza veranda and sup and dine while sailing out past all the iconic pieces of Sydney, under the Bridge and through the Heads! Sunset over Sydney, doesn't get much better!

Thanks for the pic, Wes. Brings back great memories! Mike and Linda cruised with us on Radisson/Regent for several years and we all went to SS together in 2008 because of the Appollo smoking policy change. I knew they were going to Seabourn because of the SS change. We're sticking with the Nov SS cruise to see if I can live with the change. If not, we'll switch to either Seabourn( not really much different than the SS smoking policy ), or Crystal. Maybe even Cunnard. Maybe you'll be able to give us a read after your April Spirit cruise.

Doug, we were on from Jan. 3 - 17 on the Spirit when the new policy went into effect. Smoking was fine next to the pool bar (at your usual table), outside at the Panorama, and in the Connisseur's Lounge. All your usual spots were fine. I dont think you'll notice a huge difference. Email us if you have specific questions. Hope all is well with you both. Best, Mr. & Mrs. HermanTheCat. :)

2 great days in Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh. It is still vibrant and exciting even tho' it changes every time we come. The trip up the river took some extra time due to all the boats. They seem to be getting bigger all the time. There are 3 overlands to Laos, Angkor Wat and Hue/Hanoi. Excursions to the Mekong Delta, lots of city tours, dinner @ the Majestic with entertainment, Cu Chi Tunnels and an Artist's Village. Had the pool to myself!

Duct tape thank you for the reports on the first half of they world cruise. I have booked a room for next year but would like your or any other wc'er on spending so much time on board. The most we have ever sailed is 33 days but we have many cruises under our belt.

Does the daily change of scenery make you lose track of time? And would you do it again? Would it be better to do different voyages over several years.

I would value all comments

John & Joy

Duct tape, thanks for the running commentary. It has been very informative. I'm so sorry that the weather hasn't been perfect.

Your posts always are concise and positive, and are much appreciated. We will be joining The Whisper in Capetown for the final lap. Always so good to be "coming home". Sorry we will miss sailing with you. Take care, and safe journey home.

John & Joy, will be happy to answer when we get home (soon). As for now, we had 2 days in Bangkok. Since it is usually very hot, the overcast skies and cooler temps were welcome. Lots of excursions, overlands to Myanmar and the River Kwai and WWII memorials. Day trips to Ayutthaya, UNESCO site and ancient capital of Thailand;

Thai Culture and Dinner, Grand Palace, River Cruise and Royal Barge Museum, Temples and Tuk-Tuks (ouch), Jim Thompson and Thai Cuisine and the Prasart Museum. Most people were off all day both days until we sailed @ 4PM. We spent today @ sea, still overcast but the pool is in use. The sun came out about 3 PM, just in time for the show in the Theatre. There have been so many entertainers aboard that the SS Singers have not been able to perform much. On Demand of the guests, a show was arranged this afternoon and, as usual, dynamite presentation! Bye-bye party this evening followed by Marty Henny (sp?), a perennial favorite. We have all day @ sea tomorrow and arrive in Singapore about 6 PM. Just in time to go to the Marina Bay Sands for dinner!

Love keeping up with the reports duct tape.Glad to see one of the tour options was the Prasart museum.One of the hidden gems of Bangkok.We both loved it.And naturally I did a trip report-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/day-bangkok-long-mini-report-42416.html

Evening openings in La Terazza and restaurant are both 7 p.m. Also Hot Rocks.

It is a great quite time for dinner as most do not arrive before 7:30 or later.

One problem noted on this cruise,( WC first half) first time in 19 years was many table reservations held for late diners. Other guests could have enjoyed the tables before the reserves arrived often at 8:30 p.m. We like 7 p.m. as do many others.

Archived