2013 WC Part 1.

duct tape

Believe it or not, we gave up picture-taking when the world went digital! Another wonderful day in Melbourne. Went to the National Gallery Victoria (ngv) to see an exhibit on the NeoImpressionists. Some of the other galleries are terrific as well, especially the Rembrandt self-portrait; a personal favorite. Strolled along the South Bank area and had lunch in another Melbourne favorite, Pure South. The restaurant sources all of its wines and ingredients from Tasmania. Refreshing. A very crowded ride on the Tram back to the port. We are next to the Pacific Princess and I think she is full! I am trying to pay more attention to my punctuation since Lynn Truss is aboard, author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. She is very amusing as a lecturer and had a large crowd even on a sunny day. The temp yesterday was in the high 90s in Melbourne and today it is about 65 along the south coast on our way to Adelaide. One thing that has not been consistent on this cruise is the weather. Oh well.

New segment, Sydney to Hong Kong. There are 334+ (lecturers, entertainers, etc.): 228 in-transit, 97 debarked, 106 embarked, 312 Venetians! That leaves only 22 1st timers if my arithmatic is correct. They should probably be introduced @ Venetian Night.

New segment, Sydney to Hong Kong. There are 334+ (lecturers, entertainers, etc.): 228 in-transit, 97 debarked, 106 embarked, 312 Venetians! That leaves only 22 1st timers if my arithmatic is correct. They should probably be introduced @ Venetian Night.

Now that is a good idea! Perhaps you should propose that to the Captain.

I will be joining Whisper in Cape Town. I have read several notes about how cool the desert can be at night. Would a long-sleeved blouse and winter-wool slacks be sufficient? What temps can be expected on this shorex?

Your thoughts and input will be appreciated.

Ruby

stop stop and stop...

you making me green with jealousy

Rojaan guru ;) and i were to have been on this cruise :(

I've booked SB cruise for Russia and are regretting it more and more each day..

Perfect weather here for quire a while... waaaay better than last year

An absolutely beautiful, sunny day in Moorea, one of the most perfect islands on the face of the earth. I forgot how much I loved it. Got to Papette tonight in the rain. Hope it clears tomorrow again!

duct tape,

I wish I had known you were onboard the Whisper. We were there "with you" in Moorea and Papeete onboard the Marina.

Hope to see you on the Wind from CPT in Feb '14.

Paul

Finally. For the last 3 days CC has determined that my password was bogus and I have been unable to log in. All is well today. emtbsam, yes, the Guest Lists keep appearing; sagaruby, it does get chilly in the desert in the evening, I would suggest you take a jacket and/or sweater; paulchili, too bad we missed you, see you in Africa! -

Hard to believe that I haven't posted for so long so here is the abbreviated version: I have determined the pattern. We have had sunny, bright days in the ports in NZ and OZ, days @sea are usually overcast, damp and very windy. The pool is usually filled, or not. If it is filled it is cold. In an attempt to heat it, the steam got out of control and the deck crew actually dumped 4 large trash cans of ice into the pool! Amazing, what a mess the pool situation has been. Melbourne was great, Adelaide was terrific as usual. For us, it is usually a stroll, lunch and then back to hope the pool is usable. The Central Market in Adelaide was just the best place to shop for our picnic on the pooldeck. We had a few gray days rockin' & rollin' across the Great Australian Bight to Albany. A nice old town with great architecture. Most of the excursions have been eco-related and city tours. We are now in day #2 of Freemantle (Freo) and will sail later this afternoon. HOT! Western Australia has been setting records for days over 40 degrees/104+F. We now have 3 days @ sea until Bali. New entertainers and lecturers arrived today. One of the SS singers, Vicki, did her cabaret show the other evening and she is absolutely brilliant! Evidently she was here last year. The food continues to be TOO good and Hari has been doing lots of Indian dinners on demand in the DR. Later.

Hard to believe that I haven't posted for so long so here is the abbreviated version: I have determined the pattern. We have had sunny, bright days in the ports in NZ and OZ, days @sea are usually overcast, damp and very windy. The pool is usually filled, or not. If it is filled it is cold. In an attempt to heat it, the steam got out of control and the deck crew actually dumped 4 large trash cans of ice into the pool! Amazing, what a mess the pool situation has been. Melbourne was great, Adelaide was terrific as usual. For us, it is usually a stroll, lunch and then back to hope the pool is usable. The Central Market in Adelaide was just the best place to shop for our picnic on the pooldeck. We had a few gray days rockin' & rollin' across the Great Australian Bight to Albany. A nice old town with great architecture. Most of the excursions have been eco-related and city tours. We are now in day #2 of Freemantle (Freo) and will sail later this afternoon. HOT! Western Australia has been setting records for days over 40 degrees/104+F. We now have 3 days @ sea until Bali. New entertainers and lecturers arrived today. One of the SS singers, Vicki, did her cabaret show the other evening and she is absolutely brilliant! Evidently she was here last year. The food continues to be TOO good and Hari has been doing lots of Indian dinners on demand in the DR. Later.

Choozi loves your post about Vicki and reposted onto her facebook page today.

A wonderful day in sunny, hot Bali. What else would you expect? Greeted by a Gamla band and dancers on the pier. An all day private excursion for us to the woodcarvers village, one of the intricate temples, a batik factory and a great lunch in a beautiful resort in the hills above Ubud. The island is so exotic and the Balinese Hindus have a different take on their religion than the Indian Hindus. The majority of Indonesia is Muslim and there are temples everywhere for Buddists as well. We had an excellent presentation at the restaurant of Balinese dance and music so we skipped the local show that was brought aboard right before we sailed. The Galley team outdid themselves for an Indonesian dinner in the DR. It was mobbed and everyone seemed to enjoy it. We are back at sea so of course it is overcast and drizzling occasionally. At least the pool is warm. There was new tasting this AM: champagne and caviar. Very enjoyable. As I stated previously, there is a new Wine Guy for SS (Lawrence d'Almeda) and he is aboard, trying new things. Another seaday and then to Sabah, Borneo, for excursions to see Proboscis Monkeys and the Great Orangutans. Later.

I think you'll enjoy the Orangutans and the P. monkeys.

Are you going up the river as well or just locally in Sabah?

We had spent a couple of days in a lodge up the river and saw lots of monkeys, birds and Orangutans in the trees setting up nest for the night. They make a new one every night - I don't think I would like to make and sleep in a new bed every night :D

Enjoying your reports - please keep them coming.

Thanx for the positive feedback, folks. Wes, we were in this area last winter. Our Bali friends were sailing and that was their Christmas gift to us...beans! They are still in the box in the kitchen. Decent day @sea yesterday, the sun came out eventually for a little while. King Neptune arrived to usher us back across the Equator. There is a HK tailor on-board, taking measurements and orders for delivery in HK in a few days. Will let you know how things turn out. He has been doing a booming business. Borneo today, overcast, not too hot, no rain. Ship pretty empty with most people out exploring. Extensive crew drill this AM with lots of folks on the pier watching them assemble those roll-out survival units. BBQ and Liars Club tonight, hmmm.

Is Fernando the CD on this? How is he doing? So great on the Spirit last summer.

He is a ton of fun! Duct Tape, I assume he takes a few months off after the WC...do you know what ship he gets on next and when? Is the Spirit his regular "summer rotation?" Farbster, I agree, he was great on the Spirit in the Med...we last sailed with him in Sept. 2011.

Archived