Should I call RCI Australia Direct?

Do you think they could even answer my enquirery?

I just got my latest credit card statement

Final payment was paid $2703 AU to RCI Australia, The cruise was booked through RCI Australia Advertised in Australian dollars payment details were in Australian dollars and yet again I have been charged an overseas transaction fee of $80.10, The money has been paid direct to RCI "Florida" in USA Dollars even though I paid RCI Australia in Australian Dollars?

RCI Australia is supposed to be an Australian arm of RCI North America and charges higher prices than RCI North America because of Australian consumer protection laws? (explained to me by RCI)

This must be an illegal practice under Australian consumer protection laws?

If I am paying an Australian company that has to pay its American parent company then I cannot possibly be liable for the currency conversion fee? they must be?

RCI are guilty of Internet fraud plain and simple!

Den

Let me guess... you bank with NAB or ANZ. :(

Almost right!

This time I used Bankwest!

So far I have used ANZ Visa BankWest Mastercard and Woolies Mastercard,next I will try my Virgin card for the drinks package!

It actually doesnt matter what financial institution I choose to use in the end and I should not need to go "card shopping" for one that suites RCI and thus Australian consumers! I was not allowed to book with RCI North America,s cheaper price because I live in Australia,I was forced to book with RCI Australia and in Australian dollars and then I have to payit to RCI Florida plus exchange fees? I am pretty sure what they are doing is not only immoral but perhaps illegal?

This time it is not about the money,I am buying all sorts online from RCI and looking forward to the new experience!

This time Its purely the principal!

On Bording Guest services will be given a letter from me explaining why I will not be paying "suggested tips"( I have Traditional Dinning)

I will tip onboard cash as I go for service but if it doesnt work to RCI,s liking they can distribute my letter to staff for explanation! And I am quite Firm on it.

Den

Feel sorry for you even though I am a shareholder of RCI. Have you tried 28 degree MasterCard? It is issued by GE money and application is done online. I have used the card in North America, Asia and Europe and received the best exchange rate and without any conversion fees. e.g the exchange rate for sterling pound is £0.64 to AUD$1 a week ago while online shopping on U.K website. No conversion or overseas transaction fees.

A few months ago, I top up the credit card and then withdrew some local currency while visiting Japan and Singapore. Despite the Japanese ATM stating that a fees would be charged for withdrawal, no fees were charged to my account.

Re booking direct with RCI, have you tried booking through America travel agents? They accept Australian bookings, not only cheaper but generous with on board credit.

I am travelling on Celebrity Solstice in 2 weeks times. As a shareholder, I could not get OBC from RCI as they said that I have a group discount bookings with an Australian T/A, yet the agent did not give me any OBC. As a regular customer, I complained and said that I am booking future cruises with North American agents. I was credited the equivalent amount into my credit card which I would have received as a RCI shareholder.

Final payment was paid $2703 AU to RCI Australia, The cruise was booked through RCI Australia Advertised in Australian dollars payment details were in Australian dollars and yet again I have been charged an overseas transaction fee of $80.10, The money has been paid direct to RCI "Florida" in USA Dollars even though I paid RCI Australia in Australian Dollars?

RCI Australia is supposed to be an Australian arm of RCI North America and charges higher prices than RCI North America because of Australian consumer protection laws? (explained to me by RCI)

If I am paying an Australian company that has to pay its American parent company then I cannot possibly be liable for the currency conversion fee? they must be?

Den

if you are allowed to use internet banking saves using your credit card and paying all those fees

Problem is he shouldn't be paying all those fees.

The local operation is domiciled in Australia. The web page is an Australian web page..it's not the US one. The fares are stated in Australian dollars.

I would have also thought it was highly illegal in those cases to then charge in a foreign currency for something that is being purchased in Australia through an Australian registered company. I would suggest the OP maybe take this up with Consumer Affairs and also advise RCI you are doing so.

It's the equivilant of walking into Myer or Coles and them debiting your card for groceries/clothes but doing so in US$ but converting it at the terminal. There is nothing on the website that says the fares are actually in US$ but converted for your convenience by RCI ( as distinct from on board charges). They are either in A$ or not......it's simple.

I ought something from Kogan the other day.....it was there Australian website and in Australian dollars. But the goods are grey imports from Kogans HK subsidiary and come from Hong Kong direct to me via courier. But I wasn't charged in HK$... I was charged in Australian.

Den

I agree with you that in principle that this is not right.

Would it make you feel better if you considered that at present the aussie dollar is higher than the USD and the prices these days are very good.

Back in 2005 the ausside dollar was around 75 cents and therefore it cost approx $1.30 to buy something based on US pricing.

Just a thought !!!!

Den

I agree that this is wrong, any way you look at it, and needs to change.

Re final payment was paid $2703 AU to RCI Australia. What was the amount paid direct to RCI Florida in US dollars? Eg what exchange rate did they use? I would be surprised if it was in your favour.

Just interested, as the Aussie dollar now equals $1.05 US.

Den

My recent experience with HAL

I recently booked with Holland America ringing the Sydney office directly for a cruise that starts and ends in Sydney. The price was quoted in AUD on the website and this is what was quoted on the phone. There were no extra charges for using a credit card. Used Amex and when it showed on bill it said 'HAL Seattle' and was in Australian dollars and no exchange rate.

I would have been confused it if had been charged in USD as that was not what I booked. While the exchange rate may be better at the moment, what about if it goes back the other way:mad:

What does RCIs website or your booking confirmation say?

"Overseas transaction fee" is generated by the bank - not the supplier. The bank would be my first call for sure - something not quite right there - go get 'em.

Absolutely right Liz. I have used my Westpac Visa and Amex to pay my RCI cruise including excursions and dining, all in AUD and no fees.

"Overseas transaction fee" is generated by the bank - not the supplier. The bank would be my first call for sure - something not quite right there - go get 'em.

I realise that "overseas transaction fees" are charged by the bank, however surely the responsibility lies with RCI Australia to advise their client that they are making an overseas transaction, in the first place.

I realise that "overseas transaction fees" are charged by the bank, however surely the responsibility lies with RCI Australia to advise their client that they are making an overseas transaction, in the first place.

No, because they don't know what your bank is going to do, however perhaps something along the lines of 'refer to your financial institution for any fees and charges' could be included in the T&C.

No, because they don't know what your bank is going to do, however perhaps something along the lines of 'refer to your financial institution for any fees and charges' could be included in the T&C.

Don't agree - if the site fully quotes in $AU and payment is in $AU, there should be no overseas fees. I can accept that if on the other hand the site specifies that $AU is for information or comparison and that payment will be effected in $US. This does not seem to be the case.

Den

Were you made aware of the AU Terms and Conditions for direct bookings at the time you booked? also your deposit would have also been affected the same way. ????, pity you hadn't picked it up then.......

1.1 PAYING FOR YOUR CRUISE

http://www.royalcaribbeaninternational.com.au/rcfilelibrary/Files/Pdf4/RCI_2010-12Brochure_Terms&Conditions.pdf

you will also note reference to payments when booking with an Australian travel agency, which i translate to mean your CC is charged in AUD with monies held by local agent in their trust account until they pay RCCL, meaning no oversea's fee for client....

.. I don't have any current Australian bookings, only US, and would like to know if when logged onto the personalizer for the first time and you get to Step 3 - Terms and Conditions,which after you read:rolleyes: you tick, is any mention made there.....cheers Shiona

I recently booked and paid for online a friends cabins for the Voyager this Sunday. When I got to the payment page it had some sort of note saying that althought the price quoted was AUD and would be charged in AUD it was charge by their overseas office and my bank may hit me with charges. Obviously not the exact wording but it did state it clearly. I think it sounds like when you ring and make a payment they aren't giving you this spiel and they should be. I too have a 28 degrees card and can't praise it enough.

A week ago, I booked Voyager of the Seas on line. I was charged a hefty deposit but it was much cheaper in Australia than buying in the US. I was charged in Aus dollars and there were no extra credit card charges. But Fishatco said it was the final payment that was in US dollars with an international fee. I hope I am not in for a nasty surprise when final payment is due. I also saw the clause that I may pay an internatinal fee charged by the bank.

Hi I just paid my final payment the other day so checked my balance...sure enought there is an $18.00 international charge. I also noted though that the payment was referenced " Royal Carribean Miami" so whilst we are charged in aud it is still an international transaction

It is the same with P&O Australia. If you are with the NAB they will charge this fee because they assure you they are billed from the London Account. P&O assure you they bill from a Sydney account. To try to get to the bottom of this back and forth argument between the 2, I requested an actual copy of what was billed. Can't get it of course, a privacy issue. Interestingly, P&O, who are frustrated with NAB and their fees, offer you a refund. Also so interesting, NAB will also offer you a "good customer" refund. It's like they are both wrong but can't fix the problem and so both try to make amends. (When "push comes to shove" that is). On principle it is absolutely wrong and I would love to see this taken up with Fair Trading. Note. NAB have also charged this fee on a shop transaction where the part needed for repair was ordered from overseas yet the total (part and labour) charge on the credit card was made in the Australian shop. Tells ME who's really to blame.

I havnt re visited this thread until now for a reason, the reason is contact with RCI.

Those who have read my previous comments on other threads would know that I begun my RCI (RCCl) booking with RCI USA and was automatically switched to RCI Australia for final booking and payment.

I would also like to explain that since my recent cigarette cessation I tend to type with my feet and not my head:)

OK

My total cruise price paid including taxes was almost $800 Australian more than the original price quoted from Rccl America with "American taxes included"

Email from RCI stated that currency fluctuations and the Australian consumer protection laws caused the base fare to be so much higher than the USA price at payment stage and I must pay through RCI Australia in Australian dollars, a separate arm of the company because of Australian Consumer protection laws, ok No choice for me:(

Then when I pay it goes to an off shore account not to RCI Australia?

This off shore account is only "off Australian shores" because it is paid to RCI Florida? RCI Australia is an Australian company that I paid my money to in Australian dollars and it sends the money at "my" expense to RCI Florida the parent company where I began my first RCI experience and was not allowed to continue!

RCI Florida has now received $800 US more for a cruise that I began to book with them, RCI Australia has received nothing and credit card companies a percentage at my expence?

I fully understand paying bank fees on credit cards for overseas payments and transactions but if RCI Australia is an Australian company charging a premium in Australian Dollars then I should not have pay an off shore conversion fee for my quoted final cost from "RCI Australia."

I am forced to clock this up to experience as it is in RCI T&C.s wrong or right?

So now lets look at the ACC that states all compulsory charges must be shown up front, and remember we are required to pay a premium by RCI USA for falling under the ACC protection laws.

RCI Australia require all cruisers utilizing my time dinning to pay a gratuity along with the cruise price,there is no choice this must be paid. This gratuity is therefore part of the cruise fare for my time dinners according to ACC rules.

Those choosing traditional dinning are "requested" to pay an amount of gratuity equal to the amount charged to those choosing my time dinning,this is not part of the fare under ACC rules and can be omitted from the cruise fare because it is volentary!

If "Suggested" Gratuities are not part of an Australian RCI fare then my time dinners have paid a premium to do so, in essence the same as booking a balcony over an inside,they are paying more for an extra service/product.

RCI cruisers are not required by ACC laws to pay any additional gratuities because all gratuities have been charged at payment stage to RCI Australia.

This is in part along with currency fluctuations and the reason RCI Australian cruise prices are higher than the exact same cruise booked from RCI USA;)

Sorry not ACC Australian consumer protection Law

Den

As it's already covered under the T&Cs, it appears they've covered themselves though of course it's annoying.

"

If you use your credit or debit card to pay us

directly for your cruise, please be aware that we may

process that transaction via a bank in the USA and your

card issuer may choose to charge you a foreign

processing fee. We advise you to check the terms and

conditions of such foreign transactions with your card

issuer in advance of making a payment to us."

Just another example of how when you cruise you're sending your local currency on a holiday as well. The arguments about cruising being a good local travel industry/tax raiser are a load of tosh.

It is the same with P&O Australia. If you are with the NAB they will charge this fee because they assure you they are billed from the London Account. P&O assure you they bill from a Sydney account. To try to get to the bottom of this back and forth argument between the 2, I requested an actual copy of what was billed. Can't get it of course, a privacy issue. Interestingly, P&O, who are frustrated with NAB and their fees, offer you a refund. Also so interesting, NAB will also offer you a "good customer" refund. It's like they are both wrong but can't fix the problem and so both try to make amends. (When "push comes to shove" that is). On principle it is absolutely wrong and I would love to see this taken up with Fair Trading. Note. NAB have also charged this fee on a shop transaction where the part needed for repair was ordered from overseas yet the total (part and labour) charge on the credit card was made in the Australian shop. Tells ME who's really to blame.

I have had an identical thing happen - for a P&O Pacific Pearl cruise. It is the Banks who are doing this.

Barry

Archived