Security purses

sweetpea222

We'll be in Europe for 35 days next summer, and we're traveling light. I am looking for the perfect purse to take along that will work fore the plane ride, to carry necessities in shore excursions, protect against pickpockets, and still look fashionable during our two weeks in Paris.

Any suggestions? We're in Canada, so shipping is a consideration.

What have you found works for you? Feel free to post links. Is pacsafe the best option?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not a big Pacsafe fan; I don't really think all those security features are needed (and nothing's going to stop someone just grabbing the bag). I've tried out various Pacsafe bags and to me they seem heavy and carry less than you'd think (unless you get one of their larger models).

I really like Kipling bags for travel. They are lightweight, sturdy, impervious to the weather, and have lots of different compartments. They seem to carry much more than their size would indicate. I have a couple of different cross-body styles, which are my favorite. I've carried these on various European/Middle East/Egyptian visits and have not experienced any issues.

Depending on the style I carry, I either keep my wallet (with only what I need for the day) in an inside zippered compartment, or on a "tether" inside the bag.

Kipling has basic colors (I have two black bags in slightly different sizes/styles). I also have a large tote that rolls away into nothing when I don't need it or for packing. And they have some more stylish bags too -- I just spent a week in Paris between Christmas and New Years; I carried a new to me Kipling bag in a color called Silver Glimmer that had a little more pizzazz. http://shoplittleberyl.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/kipling-hb6296-silver-glimmer-adomma-shoulder-bag-shoplittleberyl1.jpg?w=460

I've even looked at more expensive designer travel bags (e.g., Marc Jacobs lightweight cross-body bag, and others). But I really like Kipling the best, all things considered. Oh....and they are washable. And practically indestructable!

I have 3 bags I love for travel - an ameribag healthy back sling bag in nylon, an ebags Piazza Day bag, and a pacsafe citysafe 200. I don't like a lot of zippers & visible pockets (few baggalini appeal to me, for instance) I bought the pacsafe more for its configuration than its stainless mesh, though I consider that an added bonus. I wear all bags cross body; they're all nylon and lightweight. The citysafe is larger and was great all around Paris in November. The ameribag is good if I need layers and want to stuff my jacket in the bag. I always carry a water bottle, small notebook, camera etc, and my trips are never to the beach. These bags fit my different needs really well - and bonus - I got the ebags and the pacsafe super cheap on an email daily deal from ebags.......

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them all out. I also will need to carry a hat, water bottle, phone, sunglasses, wallet, etc. So I'll need it to be large enough but not so large that I become the family pack horse.

So you didn't feel the security features were necessary? We'll be in Rome, Athens, Florence, Barcelona, Paris and many other places. I want to be sure my bag is as safe as it needs to be. But not limiting myself to pacsafe opens up way more options.

So you didn't feel the security features were necessary? We'll be in Rome, Athens, Florence, Barcelona, Paris and many other places. I want to be sure my bag is as safe as it needs to be. But not limiting myself to pacsafe opens up way more options.

Being careful about pickpockets is necessary. Having a Pacsafe bag, in my opinion, isn't.

I never carry more money than I will need on a given day, and only one credit card. I generally leave extra money, a spare credit card, and my passport in the safe. If for some reason I had to carry more than the bare minimum, for example if I was traveling from one city to another on public transportation, my valuables and cash would be in a secret pouch/pocket pinned securely inside my pants or skirt waist.

My small wallet, as already said, is zipped into an interior pocket of my bag or tethered to the bag with a clip. (Some Kipling bags have these.) The purse is carried across my body and under my arm. On a crowded subway or bus, I'd also try to keep my hand over the main zipper.

I've seen a lot of people put their faith into the Pacsafe bags, and I'm sure they are pretty safe. But as I said, they can't protect you from someone who grabs the bag and runs. Plus, you hear fairly often about "snatch and grab" tactics used by young men on scooters. With that steel cable in the Pacsafe bag, I keep envisioning that we'll hear one of these days about someone who got seriously injured from being dragged by her bag strap.

At any given time, I carry the following in my Kipling bag when traveling: a small bottle of water, a small wallet, my Kindle, a guidebook/notes, sunglasses, hair brush, lip gloss, a Power Bar, and a relatively large digital camera. I've been known to stuff my lightweight rain jacket in as well!

I think that paying attention is more important than the stainless steel mesh in the strap too, but as I said - that's not why I bought the bag. I really liked the look & the layout of the bag, and the price. In addition to the stainless steel mesh, the zipper clips into position - that feature I really like! Makes it harder for someone to get into your bag without your knowledge. Nothing is fullproof, of course, you just do what you feel you can....

The ebags strap is not so comfortable across my chest - on long days (I wore it in DC over the summer and we walked 8 miles one day) it can rub my clavicle. The pacsafe bag strap was comfortable from the start - no rubbing or irritation.

I also have several lesportsac bags - esp a weekender I usually bring as an extra checked bag for trips where I think I'll be bringing stuff home. I have an extra tote and a small crossbody as well - because of the bright colors, they don't typically match my travel wardrobe so I tend to use that closer to home. It only fits my phone, wallet, maybe a camera & keys...Nice for a day of shopping or a quick day trip but not my preference for travel)

All really good suggestions, thank you.

Has anyone purchased a travelon bag? I've seen a couple that look nice, are the right size for what I need, and seem designed for travelling. Do they hold up well?

The Bay up here in Canada apparently sells Kipling bags, but you're right, they are not cheap. However TB often has really good sales, so there a chance of finding one that way.

I completely agree that it is more important to not carry the world with you in your bag. That way if someone does snatch it you are not completely screwed. I really need to carry water and a hat, as we'll be on the cruise in July and it will be hot during the day. Also a scarf for covering shoulders in churches. Plus a phone/camera and obviously lip balm, comb, etc. When you start to include all of these things for a long hot day, the weight of the bag definitely is an issue. I don't want to be sore when I get back, as this is a very port-intensive cruise and I'll just have to do it all again the next day. :D

Also :D I'll be in San Diego in March with my mom. Any suggestions on where to look down there, for bags or travel accessories? It will be just her and I, so I'll actually be able to shop. I'd like to find a purse/bag that will work as well as (hopefully) a couple of travel type dresses and/or skirts that will be lightweight, not wrinkle, fashionable, and not cost me the moon.

We're packing so light for this trip, I need to be very selective as to what makes it into my bag.

I was thinking of something similar to this design. I very much like the separate zippered pocket for a water bottle and the locking top zipper. Also, the strap looks comfortable.

http://www.magellans.com/vaultpro-gateway-handbag#

We'll be in Europe for 35 days next summer, and we're traveling light. I am looking for the perfect purse to take along that will work fore the plane ride, to carry necessities in shore excursions, protect against pickpockets, and still look fashionable during our two weeks in Paris.

Any suggestions? We're in Canada, so shipping is a consideration.

What have you found works for you? Feel free to post links. Is pacsafe the best option?

I ordered my pac-safe from a company based out of Canada called Jet Setter.

http://www.jet-setter.ca/

I own a couple Kipling and Baggalini bags and we sell Pacsafe in the luggage store. I've been on a quest the last 15 years to find the perfect cross body bag for traveling. We also sell a brand called Hedgren that I look through all the time and think it has great features, but I've never bought one.

The bag that has so far come closest to what I like is this one:

http://www.bricstore.com/brics-collections/x-bag-collection/urban-envelope.html

It's small enough so I'm not weighing myself down while on excursions, yet large enough and has a couple pockets for organization. Mine is black with leather trim, really well made and durable. I can't find it on our luggage site, so the above link is for Brics' directly. I don't even mind carrying this bag on a daily basis.

All of the above mentioned product lines are well made quality. The price may seem high to some, but you would get your money's worth with any purchase. Kipling pieces do go on sale, usually only the seasonal colors, rarely do the core colors go on sale (black, red, navy, brown)...but I wouldn't be surprised if someone found some on sale. Typically the online prices are the same as in the store, so consider shipping costs and returns if you can't shop in person.

I also think PacSafe is overkill and might lead you to a false sense of security. Because I travel with my DSLR, I just use my camera bag as a general purse/carry all when sightseeing - it is worn cross body like a messanger bag, has pockets for water bottles, maps, and memory cards, etc, but still has a padded box to protect my camera. For some trips I also take my Roots bag as something a little more fashionable, but it doesn't work for a day of sightseeing - it's only big enough for my wallet, iPhone, e-book, and sundries. That's nice for going out for a meal, etc, but not for a day's excursion.

Guest maddycat

I love LeSportsac bags. I have several. They're light weight, wear well and are washable. I've had mine for several years and they still look new. I love all of the compartments..........a place for everything. Macy's, Bloomingdales and Lord & Taylor sell them.

LeSportsac

I use the PacSafe VentureSafe 200 Compact bag. It is very light and has enough room for the essentials -- glasses, phone, small camera, map, money, credit card, keys, even a water bottle. I have used it as a day bag/purse in many European and Asian cities where there are a lot of crowds, subways, buses, etc.

I wear it cross body, and when in a restaurant, I clip it to my chair instead of putting it down or slinging it across the back of the chair.

It may not be a fashion statement, but it is very secure.

image.jpg.d7d4382cccf517e27e820c662bd87a34.jpg

You will find most people in European Cities just carry a normal handbag/shoulderbag (I think you call them purses). Obviously you don't walk about with the zip open etc. i'm sure you won't have any problems!

My travel bag (purse) is different from my daily bag, no matter where I'm traveling (US, Europe, Asia, Africa) For my daily work, I carry a leather bag. I almost never travel with leather as I find it too heavy (and not weather-flexible enough) to carry while sightseeing (or even on business trips, as I end up carrying it far more than I would at home) I also carry different things for travel than I do for my daily work, so I don't think it's really fair to compare what most people in Europe carry daily vs what a sightseeing traveler might find the most useful.

Yes if you are careful you could do like I do I have a small leather bag that I carry across my front with the bag in front not the side, I also Have a folding cotton bag that I put water, camera, sunscreen and suchlike in, that has a sholder strap and I carry that too or my Husband does ! - He carries his main cash in his front trouser pocket with a hanky on top,

Well, I've lived here all my life and never been pickpocketed and I used to

travel to London daily to work, using the Underground and busy Kings Cross Station..... if you just take a sensible approach using the same care you would at home you have nothing to worry about!;)

Well, I've lived here all my life and never been pickpocketed and I used to

travel to London daily to work, using the Underground and busy Kings Cross Station..... if you just take a sensible approach using the same care you would at home you have nothing to worry about!;)

I've read a lot on this subject (and yes, I've been pickpocketed myself, in Barcelona, although a very experienced traveler).

Pickpockets tend to target tourists for two main reasons: 1) they are in unfamiliar surroundings and so are often distracted, e.g., trying to figure out where they are, where they need to be going, taking photos, etc., and 2) they are more likely to be carrying a large amount of cash and/or credit cards.

It's thus not a valid comparison to say that just because you live and commute somewhere and haven't been pickpocketed, the same would apply to a tourist. Trust me, in Barcelona I tried to do everything right. I dressed nicely, not visibly a tourist target (no map, no camera around neck, no tennis shoes, nice leather bag). I kept my shoulder bag zipped and under my arm all day. I still had my wallet stolen. Luckily, I had left a credit card, my passport and extra cash in my room safe.

While I would love to carry a leather bag, I also don't think it will work for what I need this trip. I am checking out all your suggestions and (hopefully) will know the perfect bag for me when I see it. :D

Twice this year my Kipling bag was tested in heavy rain. In Provence, it simply poured on us during most of a 2-hour exploration of a Roman site outside St. Remy (Glanum). My bag kept my belongings (particularly my camera and guidebook) completely dry, while others weren't so lucky. At Fiesole, outside Florence, we faced similar weather with similar results.

I think the key is that the Kipling bags are lined on the inside with a waterproof layer. Anything inside the main compartment stays dry. Things put in an exterior pocket may get a little wet.

That bag, and my LL Bean lightweight rain jacket, saved what would otherwise have been two very soggy days...!!

All really good suggestions, thank you.

Has anyone purchased a travelon bag? I've seen a couple that look nice, are the right size for what I need, and seem designed for travelling. Do they hold up well?

The Bay up here in Canada apparently sells Kipling bags, but you're right, they are not cheap. However TB often has really good sales, so there a chance of finding one that way.

I completely agree that it is more important to not carry the world with you in your bag. That way if someone does snatch it you are not completely screwed. I really need to carry water and a hat, as we'll be on the cruise in July and it will be hot during the day. Also a scarf for covering shoulders in churches. Plus a phone/camera and obviously lip balm, comb, etc. When you start to include all of these things for a long hot day, the weight of the bag definitely is an issue. I don't want to be sore when I get back, as this is a very port-intensive cruise and I'll just have to do it all again the next day. :D

I found my travelon bag at my local Winner's for 19.99 - and used it in Barcelona - and of course I only carried what I needed but did like the fact I could 'lock' it up!

Here is what mine looks like (found this on ebay along with many other options - search travelon in women's handbags): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Crossbody-Lightweight-Shoulder-Bag-Travel-Handbag-Hot-Pink-/221086437579?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item3379c750cb

Another vote for a Kipling cross body bag. Mine is black and generic so my husband and I can both use it without it being too feminine. We didn't keep things like passports and credits cards in there, those were in money belts under our clothing--far more secure than anything else.

My Kipling has a vecro tabbed flap. Under that are two small zipped outer pockets and a top zip to the larger inner-pocket. There is yet again another zipped inner pocket which would be almost impossible for a pickpocket to get to as they would have to lift the velcro and unzip two zippers without being caught. The bag is big enough to hold the essentials but small enough to be able to hold it tight against your body with your arm/elbow in crowded, high-risk areas.

I have a Pacsafe waist pack that I took to England last spring and never used it. I'm more likely to use it here in Atlanta when going to art festivals or other crowded events.

I do carry a cross body bag and find that works better for me. When I'm concerned I carry it in the front with money/credit cards/iPhone in an interior pocket. We've traveled extensively throughout Europe and questionable parts of the US and I have found this makes me feel most secure. Of course, as others mentioned, I don't carry everything I own in my bag ---- extra credit cards & passports are kept locked up in the hotel safe.

Unfortunately wearing a cross body bag in the front isn't exactly elegant or cool, but if you carry a black or brown bag you'll melt in with the crowd. For me, that means my Atlanta Falcons bag stays at home!

Thanks for all these tips!! I am going to make sure my husband carries any day money we have as well as one credit card, but safely tucked away in a secure hidden pocket or security waist wallet or similar.

I did see a Travelon bag at Winners for pretty cheap, but I didn't like the colour (eggplant) and it didn't seem to have the features I was looking for.

These Kipling bags seem awesome. I think I'll check out what they have at The Bay and will keep an eye out for a good sale.

We are also getting one of the new Canadian Target stores, opening some time this spring. Do they carry anything decent there??

Thanks for that ebay link. I will have a peek in there as well, for ideas. Hopefully I can find something on ebay.ca though. Shipping from the States is a killer sometimes.

have you checked out the bags at MEC.ca?

I travelled for years with an MEC black crossbody. I now use a black leather crossbody that I bought in Florence.

I don't think you need a security bag, just be aware of your surroundings and keep most of your money/cards in the safe.

Archived