Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

I have enjoyed this thread so much! I am kind of shocked no one mentioned "tea time". I have been so upset by the tea snobs I will not attend any more, I love the snack and quiet time but have had several clearly snobbish and nasty inquisitions that I now go to the buffet for my afternoon tea!

Ooooh, what do the Tea Snobs do? I would relish details!

Rick

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be inflamatory. I LOVED your list. If the consensus is that having tapatalk in one's signature is considered boorish, I'd like to know how to turn it off. I did do a search for the thread, but when you search tapatalk, you get every thread that has it in the signature.

It's really hard to not commit what some percieve as "faux pas" and while I'm not trying to please everyone with an opinion...I do like to try to keep up with the general consensus.

I think many of those lines were "tongue in cheek" as are Jeff Foxworthy's redneck lines.

Enjoy the humor and don't try to dissect it or take it seriously!!!:D

Our snob/boor story.

Some background. While born here both my and DW parents were Ukrainian immigrants and we learned the language. Not a very common language and hasn’t been of much use in travelling (except of course in Ukraine) until recently. Last 3 or 4 years seeing a lot more Ukrainian staff on Princess Cruises and we often surprise them by striking up a conversation in Ukrainian.

These employees are often very well educated (including Masters University Degrees in Sciences , Arts etc.) but a Stewards pay on Princess is better than what they can earn in Ukraine.

Recently we were on a T/A. Always take anytime dining table for 2. First several nights we were seated at several different tables. 4th night we were again at a new table. Close to us was a table for 8, and very soon we couldn’t help but notice one woman at that table was exceptionally loud and boorish. Monopolizing the conversation, complaining about the food and service etc.

We were also quite close to the waiter station in that area. The assistant waitresses at both our table and the 8 table were from Ukraine, and we overheard them conversing about the boor, laughingly calling her “The Donkey.”

I asked our assistant waitress to call over the other girl and, in Ukrainian, said something like“I've overheard you talking about that lady, and it’s disrespectful.”

They of course looked shocked, and a little frightened, until I continued “She’s older than you, don’t you know it’s Mrs. Donkey”.

We reserved that table for the rest of the cruise and every night we would greet and converse with the 2 servers in Ukrainian, always inquiring if “Mrs Donkey” had said anything exceptionally stupid that evening. She almost always had, and it became an amusing part of the trip.

Some posters suggest it’s stupid to let the presence of rude or boorish people ruin your trip-actually sometimes they can add to it, although I probably would have felt differently if I had to sit at Mrs. Donkeys table.

Terrific Story! I agree with you that sometimes the entertainment value is priceless!;)

Only up to page 15, but I thought I'd post mine now:

We were seated at a table for eight when the final couple showed up. Her comment, "You'd think they would seat us suite passengers with better people."

Fortunately we got our table for two the next evening. Not sure how the rest of the cruise went for the others.

(In case you think "table for two" is snobby, my husband is very hard of hearing and can't carry on a conversation at a large table. It embarasses him.)

I would say that this thread has taken a turn for the worst, but I don't think there was ever a possibility of a positive outcome for a thread about snobs! :D

Thank you :)

Maybe not everyone knows Foxworthy.

I'm sorry. I guess the smile on my face, and the chuckle in my voice doesn't translate into my posts. My humor sucks, as anyone in my family could tell you...

I WAS trying to be funny about the blingy smartphones. I have one, no bling, I don't like it, but it's necessary.

And...I just downloaded the tapatalk the other day. I think I managed to post with it once, but I don't really know how to find anything with it. It's all accidental at this point.

I know Jeff Foxworthy's comedy very well. I may not be able to tell a joke, but I sure can laugh at one.

The post just brought up a question about tapatalk, that's all...

Its just a very a very British traditional time.

To the Brits its not a snobbish thing to do.

Love the little scones and cream that Princess gives us at that time plus the wee sandwiches

When I viisit UK I have Afternoon Tea in the famous Betty Tea Shop up Northern UK.While in London the famous one as a treat in Fortnum and Masons.

They stick out their pinky when picking up the cup ----- And have their nose so high in the air they could pour the tea into it !!!

They get bent out of shape about milk first or tea first; china; silverware; crusts or no crusts on sandwiches; whether it is pronounced "sconn" or "scowne".

Personally I do not like tea or all the cr*p that goes with it - give me strong coffee and a bacon sandwich anyday! (Does that make a reverse snob?) :rolleyes:

They get bent out of shape about milk first or tea first; china; silverware; crusts or no crusts on sandwiches; whether it is pronounced "sconn" or "scowne".

Personally I do not like tea or all the cr*p that goes with it - give me strong coffee and a bacon sandwich anyday! (Does that make a reverse snob?) :rolleyes:

I also love bacon and tomatoe sandwiches.

We were seated at a table for eight when the final couple showed up. Her comment, "You'd think they would seat us suite passengers with better people."

Fortunately we got our table for two the next evening. Not sure how the rest of the cruise went for the others.

(In case you think "table for two" is snobby, my husband is very hard of hearing and can't carry on a conversation at a large table. It embarasses him.)

We always get a table for two. My wife and I have such busy lives. We use a cruise to get re-acquainted with each other. We make every dinner a formal DATE! Just as you probably would not invite 8 other people on your first date, we choose to have dinner with ourselves, just as if each dinner is a first date. We always have 7 fun and romantic evenings, especially FORMAL nights, on every cruise and so every cruise is special. I know this does not fit with the "SNOB" theme of this thread, but I thought you would like to know: TABLE FOR TWO IS ROMANTIC! not snobby!

We always get a table for two. My wife and I have such busy lives. We use a cruise to get re-acquainted with each other. We make every dinner a formal DATE! Just as you probably would not invite 8 other people on your first date, we choose to have dinner with ourselves, just as if each dinner is a first date. We always have 7 fun and romantic evenings, especially FORMAL nights, on every cruise and so every cruise is special. I know this does not fit with the "SNOB" theme of this thread, but I thought you would like to know: TABLE FOR TWO IS ROMANTIC! not snobby!

Couldn't agree more!! We do exactly the same thing.

Pre dinner I socialize with the other "bar rats" at Crooners, but dinner is for my wife. Recent cruise, after the head waiter stopped asking if we were willing to share he woud refer to us as "the honeymooners" as we walked up-we have been married almost 37 years.

Seems that this thread went into quarantine or something yesterday afternoon. I attempted to open the thread via a link in an e-mail and a pop-up read that it was an invalid link. Today I received another e-mail and the link worked just fine. Go figure.

I really thought that the CC Moderators had closed it down...:confused:

Seems that this thread went into quarantine or something yesterday afternoon. I attempted to open the thread via a link in an e-mail and a pop-up read that it was an invalid link. Today I received another e-mail and the link worked just fine. Go figure.

I really thought that the CC Moderators had closed it down...:confused:

I contacted the CC moderators today and asked the same question and indeed they had closed it down as it had the "potential " for getting nasty.

They have taken the unusual step and have been agreeable to reopen it for us to add to and enjoy :) but we must make sure we continue to play nice-nice as it, like all the threads, will continue to be monitored.

Couldn't agree more!! We do exactly the same thing.

Pre dinner I socialize with the other "bar rats" at Crooners, but dinner is for my wife. Recent cruise, after the head waiter stopped asking if we were willing to share he woud refer to us as "the honeymooners" as we walked up-we have been married almost 37 years.

We have been married for 30 years. My wife came home with a couple of new dresses for FORMAL NIGHTS on our February cruise...took my breath away when she tried them on for me! Kinda cool after 30 years!

Many of the previous stories have been about people who were uninformed or just plain rude, but this is what I would call being a real snob. :p

They should have at least waited until they had finished dinner and had a chance to get to know you before they decided that they needed "better" dinner partners. :)

Rule #1 is that one must always be polite no matter what they have to do or say. Or, as the Southerners say at the end of every criticism, "Bless her/his heart".

The January / February 2013 edition of Cruise Travel has ten rules for being unsnobish on a cruise:

1) Honor the dress code.

2) Don't reserve seats in the theater for people who have not shown up yet.

3) Don't be a deck chair hog.

4) Treat the crew members like you would want to be treated.

5) Don't let your kids run wild.

6) Don't hog the gym equipment.

7) Obey the smoking rules.

8) Be on time.

9) Don't litter the ocean (don't throw anything overboard).

10) Don't cut in line.

The January / February 2013 edition of Cruise Travel has ten rules for being unsnobish on a cruise:

1) Honor the dress code.

2) Don't reserve seats in the theater for people who have not shown up yet.

3) Don't be a deck chair hog.

4) Treat the crew members like you would want to be treated.

5) Don't let your kids run wild.

6) Don't hog the gym equipment.

7) Obey the smoking rules.

8) Be on time.

9) Don't litter the ocean (don't throw anything overboard).

10) Don't cut in line.

I think I learned most of these rules in Kindergarden......

The snobbish moment I have encountered didn't happen on a ship...but rather her on CC.

We enjoy the MUTS more than just about any other entertainment option. The ability to snuggle up under a warm blanket and enjoy a movie with my wife under the stars after a day of whatever we decided to do that day is our definition of vacation.

We had recently been exploring a Med cruise on Celebrity and I asked on one of their pages if they had a set up similar to MUTS on any of the Celebrity ships as that is a deciding factor for us on picking a cruise...............:eek:..........Oops....Apparently a movie screen on deck is anathema to the Celebrity Cruisers.

Certainly helped to decide which cruise line we would not go with.

1) Honor the dress code.

10) Don't cut in line.

To heck with it - I am DRAWING a "Like" button on my (yes, Tapatalk-equipped) smartphone, under that there post, and Pushing it for all I'm worth!

Rick

Archived