Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

when a snob asks me what I do for a living I tell them that I am in the fur trade and I am a seal clubber in the artic and I am on a cruise for some warm weather. I love the look they get on there faces its like they smell something bad.

We can pick fairdinkum people rather quickly.... when they ask what my DH does for a living (Interstate Truck Driver).... if they turn their backs on you (which has happened) no loss..... if they continue with the conversation and we become friends over the course of the cruise.... great! You know they are worth getting to know and not snobs. :D

Does he drive one of those "truck trains" (I think that's what they're called) with 2 or 3 trailers? I was a secretary and my husband worked for our city parks department so those snobby people probably wouldn't have talked to us either.

when a snob asks me what I do for a living I tell them that I am in the fur trade and I am a seal clubber in the artic and I am on a cruise for some warm weather. I love the look they get on there faces its like they smell something bad.

Hey!!! Don't be stealing our Canadian Jobs!!! :D:D

My husband and I had just finished a fantastic 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We were on a shuttle to LAX with another couple. They proceeded to complain about how awful the cruise was. Food, service, cabin, nothing had pleased them! The man then got on his phone and said they'd just gotten into their limo! Right the super shuttle was a limo!

My reponse, if they are from the United States, is "I give your tax money away." (acutally true :eek:) That usually elicits a chuckle but sometimes an angry tea partyesque tirade :rolleyes:.

I completely agree with you Pam. One person on CC springs to mind, always bragging and boasting about who he knows. I know a lot of people at Princess also, as Im sure you do too. :D:D

He drives me crazy. Not sure what he would think if he knew how many emails are sent that say "OMG - look at his lastest thread". You can't help but read them to see what he is now bragging about. The problem is that there are so many posters that comment and say "so glad to hear you had another wonderfu cruise or loved the clip, wonderful article". So, he must have a fan base. He must think people think he is as great as he thinks he is.

And the couple with the Princess pins. Ran into "dad" in the elevator - brag brag brag. He said they were like parents to all the crew. And also saw "mom" - they wear those pins all the time. But the funny thing was that they were always alone - never saw any crew talking to them.

We also ask for tables for two most of the time. Have overheard so many conversations at the next table with people saying "we are elite and have been all over the world" and they went on and on all during diner. We stopped talking and just listened to their converations. Even the waiters roll their eyes. We enjoy talking with the crew and the subject of "elites" comes up all the time. I won't even tell you what the CD on our last cruise said to us about elites. Too funny.

I'm a military officer and proud of it. Sitting at a bar on the Constellation one afternoon this rather loud individual plops himself down next to me and proceeds to tell me he is the best harbour pilot in the port of New Orleans. Then asks what I do so I told him. Proceeds to call me a baby killer, asks when the last time I raped and pillaged innocent people was and how could I ever associate with the decent people of the world that take cruises. Although we are not from the same country I reminded him that it was individuals like me and those that have gone before in our honourable profession that gave him the right to idotic uninformed opinions like his without being sent to some dark and lonely prison cell to rot. Two other individuals at the bar came over, shook my hand and offered me another beer. The harbour pilot left in discust and I made two more friends. Never saw him again thankfully

As regards the 11 year old.....as an older person ( to the child) I would have told him that old people tend to relieve themselves in the hot tubs - the little sod would have never got in a hot tub again....it worked on the last trip I made, cleared all the noisy teenagers out in one foul swoop!

Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced 'bouquet') is from an English comedy series about a social climbing woman who is constantly trying to rise above her own station....."keeping up appearances" from the BBC - early 90's.

We've managed a few cruises, enjoy them immensely and love people watching. I tend to go the other way in the sense that when people start asking personal questions I play it down and say I'm only a manual labourer .

The people being discussed are present in all walks of life, doesn't matter if it's a cruise, country club, supermarket or boozer it's the diversity that makes it all so interesting, just think how boring life would be if everyone was as perfect as you and I...( joke!)

Thank you for your post - I enjoyed every bit of it and we would enjoy a cruise with you I'm sure. We'll be borrowing your hot tub comment - love it!

Do you mean Disneyland? Or do you mean that you were trained the way you were because of Walt Disney's belief in customer service which continues to live in all of the Disney parks today?

Just curious if you worked at Disney during or after Walt Disney was alive. I have the greatest respect for his creativity, determination, and high expectations for customer service and atmosphere. Walt Disney had such a great impact on the entertainment industry, as well as the travel and tourism industry.

Yes, I worked at Disneyland in the very early 60's. I was very young and thought Mr. Disney was very old--he was in his early 60s at the time, which doesn't seem so very old to me now. ;) It was amazing training and I was very fortunate to have had that experience.

There was, BTW, on our last cruise a gentleman who was given a Princess badge that I believe said "Candyman". He wore it all of the time and was very proud of it but didn't come across in the least bit snobbish about it. He could often be found in The Wheelhouse with a large box of candy that he was happy to share with everyone.

It's interesting that the question about one's occupation or former occupation can be a negative for some. My own DH has commented to me a number of times on cruises that he loves to hear how other people make a living. He has wide interests, so he finds their work fascinating. No one so far has been offended that he asks.

Get out of my head...this is my story exactly. ;)

When I'm stuck with an unsufferable boor or snob, I play mind games with them. (mind games don't always work if BOTH parties are well armed) Through a combination of hard work, living below my means, and timing I was able to retire in my early 50s, and thus I still look like I should be employed. When a cruise snob asks "What do you do?" I'll sometimes reply that I just got out of prison and I'm weighing my options. Or I'll say that I've been unemployed for three years and I'm holding out for a management position. Or I'll say that I'm fresh out of rehab and it was overrated....as I raise my glass.

Sometimes a cruise snob will act like they are close personal friends with the captain and I'll tell them how I remember when he was a cabin boy on freighters out of Hong Kong.

Most cruise snobs are so full of B.S. that they don't recognize when it's being shoveled right back at them.

I find them to be a source of entertainment....

I want to sit at the table with you guys, you sound like fun.

We were waiting to self-disembark on a Carnival ship once and 3 or 4 people butted in line a few people ahead of us. One of the women in the group complained loudly about people getting off the ship before them.

They hadn't even called whatever group, platinum maybe, they were with for pete's sake. They had no luggage so they obviously weren't self-disembarking or whatever Carnival calls it. If I recall correctly she even used the words "these people" as if it was some tragedy that her and her platinum card weren't first off the ship.

We can pick fairdinkum people rather quickly.... when they ask what my DH does for a living (Interstate Truck Driver).... if they turn their backs on you (which has happened) no loss..... if they continue with the conversation and we become friends over the course of the cruise.... great! You know they are worth getting to know and not snobs. :D

I completly agree with you and I think that your Diamond logo is terrific!:)

It's interesting that the question about one's occupation or former occupation can be a negative for some. My own DH has commented to me a number of times on cruises that he loves to hear how other people make a living. He has wide interests, so he finds their work fascinating. No one so far has been offended that he asks.

I agree 100%. I usually find it a good ice breaker. It does not necessarily mean an evening of shop talk, but its often more interesting than "Where are you from?". I will contnue to ask, and am happy to change the subject if the person does not seem interested in going there.

Get out of my head...this is my story exactly. ;)

When I'm stuck with an unsufferable boor or snob, I play mind games with them. (mind games don't always work if BOTH parties are well armed) Through a combination of hard work, living below my means, and timing I was able to retire in my early 50s, and thus I still look like I should be employed. When a cruise snob asks "What do you do?" I'll sometimes reply that I just got out of prison and I'm weighing my options. Or I'll say that I've been unemployed for three years and I'm holding out for a management position. Or I'll say that I'm fresh out of rehab and it was overrated....as I raise my glass.

My favorite response is that DW and I are in the Witness Protection Program.

I've used that one too! :D I never give my real name, occupation or place of residence. When I cruise it's all lies all the time! My favorite lies are about what I paid for airfare, the cabin or the fabulous upgrade I got!

The Magic Kingdom is one of the theme parks in the Walt Disney Resort. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Kingdom

I understand what Magic Kingdom is. I was asking her if she meant Disneyland because Walt Disney died before Magic Kingdom was completed. However, he sometimes refers to Disneyland in old videos as a "Magic Kingdom" - hence the name of the Central Florida theme park.

I understand what Magic Kingdom is. I was asking her if she meant Disneyland because Walt Disney died before Magic Kingdom was completed. However, he sometimes refers to Disneyland in old videos as a "Magic Kingdom" - hence the name of the Central Florida theme park.
Ahhh... you know far more than I do.

Originally Posted by Nomsayin

I've used that one too! :D I never give my real name, occupation or place of residence. When I cruise it's all lies all the time! My favorite lies are about what I paid for airfare, the cabin or the fabulous upgrade I got!

It works well for brushing off ship's photographers, too.

I'm a military officer and proud of it. Sitting at a bar on the Constellation one afternoon this rather loud individual plops himself down next to me and proceeds to tell me he is the best harbour pilot in the port of New Orleans. Then asks what I do so I told him. Proceeds to call me a baby killer, asks when the last time I raped and pillaged innocent people was and how could I ever associate with the decent people of the world that take cruises. Although we are not from the same country I reminded him that it was individuals like me and those that have gone before in our honourable profession that gave him the right to idotic uninformed opinions like his without being sent to some dark and lonely prison cell to rot. Two other individuals at the bar came over, shook my hand and offered me another beer. The harbour pilot left in discust and I made two more friends. Never saw him again thankfully

Man, I thought this was actually a joke for a bit. I guess sometimes I forget that there are some really whacked out people around.

Yea, I'm with you. I mean anything can be said with an obnoxious undertone, but I've considered it part of normal conversations with cruise ship people. I don't typically just ask out of nowhere but sometimes the conversation can relate or someone will tell a story from a work experience that makes me wonder and ask what they do. Of course we aren't really "fancy people" (I rarely wear my monocle and top hat in public) so I don't think we come off as trying to judge someone's status. I don't hang out with annoying people regardless of how much money they make (you know, except for my boss).

I don't understand the purpose of such misinformation unless you want to remain anonymous and not make new friends. It's why we like the small ships. They are more personal and you get to know people. A couple from NZ that we met on an Alaskan small ship cruise came to stay with us for two weeks in Sept. These will be life long friends. So lie if you like. Meanwhile we will enjoy genuine people.

The trouble with the 'witness protection program' line is that if you were really on it you wouldn't say so.....

I'm really looking forward to my next cruise in April, our first with Princess, we are bringing my mother and father in law, and our good friends that so enjoyed our New Years trip on RCCL they had to cruise again.

My mother in law often bears the brunt of my humour, so on this cruise I may have to pretend she's ' someone of note' and me and my mate are minders!

Archived