bring own musician onboard?

Virga

So we just booked our first Celebrity cruise, mostly thanks to the ability to order MDR food in the cabin for my dad - and the 123 drink package helped!

Since I booked, though, I've been thinking that the promotion (combined with some great prices next winter) would be the PERFECT opportunity to put together something I've been dreaming of for a couple years now. See, we have a pair of truly talented local musicians amongst our friends - even went on a group vacation with them to Ireland with us last year. I'd kill to have them along for a big cruise with the guys!

Would we be able to arrange for a conference room (or better yet, a bar?) for them to play in? How difficult/expensive would that be? I feel like I should say that they play inappropriate bawdy irish folk music, and we get a bit (read: occasionally VERY) loud. We'd likely all have the alcohol package, so I'm not sure the per-person parties I've read about would be worth the cost.

Anyway, I will probably contact the groups department if I can make myself dial the darned phone number, I was just wondering if there were any ideas on how to make this work otherwise.

The cruise lines are contracted to companies to provide entertainment on board the ships, and they do have specific regulations against bringing musical instruments on board. Heck, they don't even allow boom boxes on board. I highly doubt they would allow any kind of personal entertainment on the ship. Maybe in one of their private conference rooms, but like I said, they don't allow passengers to bring their own instruments on board.

As for the other parts of your post, are you being serious? I don't think any cruise line would allow very loud, obnoxious behavior or inappropriate bawdy music on their ships. People have been kicked off ships for less than what you're saying. Remember, cruise lines have a responsibility to all their passengers, and they have to make sure not to anger or insult their passengers. Probably not a good idea to promote inappropriate, bawdy music on any cruise lest you hack off the powers that be and find your group looking for a flight home at the next available port.

sadly, I was being serious but clearly a little silly without knowing it. We are NOT unruly or obnoxious - our group is always VERY well received by the barstaff and locals wherever we go. We're polite and tip well, and really we just loudly sing along to sometimes rather inappropriate songs - think scotsman's kilt. A good piano bar would be a decent comparison, if he tailored his sets to avoid the songs he wouldn't sing to his grandma. It'd still be loud, though.

I really assumed there would be a way to 'rent' a soundproofed area (preferably with bar service) a couple different evenings on the cruise, or perhaps discover that some of the suites are soundproofed - I've heard of having ships musicians play in suites. The entertainment contracts sound like they preclude that, though, because (clearly) no musical instruments would be a dealbreaker. It's too bad, but I appreciate the response.

...and Hopeful - I know! This would be pretty darned cheap compared to the Ireland trip, which was probably the best week of my life. I'm even now considering setting up a couple shows on land, if perhaps the ship would hold their instruments for them.

You realize on celebrity, when playing Bingo, ya can't even yell bingo---have to whisper it!!! :D Those irish sing alongs are always fun--Old town San Diego had a great place--yard stick beer, always had a blast!!

If all you want is a piano look into booking the penthouse suite that has one in it.

The other option is many times on the last night they have a talent show consisting of the passengers or employees. I don't know if they will provide musical intruments if required.

There is also the possiblity of renting out Michaels bar for a private function. I have seen that note many times on that bar and I think it has a piano in it.

If all you want is a piano look into booking the penthouse suite that has one in it.

The other option is many times on the last night they have a talent show consisting of the passengers or employees. I don't know if they will provide musical intruments if required.

There is also the possiblity of renting out Michaels bar for a private function. I have seen that note many times on that bar and I think it has a piano in it.

It's a guitar and a mandolin we'd be needing to bring onboard - I just don't rightly know how to explain an irish singalong except by comparing it to a good piano bar. It's ok, I likely wouldn't be able to pull him away during ski season anyway, it was just a nice thing to mull. Alternate plan was to rent a big house in Key West, shouldn't cost that much more and we can get Guinness on tap =)

I do appreciate the help, though.

Go to Michael's before the piano player arrives and give them a taste of what you got or wait around for him to leave and play it like ya stole it. :D

My .02 and Irish sayings -

1. A lot of the negative posts here are from many folk that do nothing but post here and they live for posts like yours. “You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.”

2. Considering the Celebrity entertainment I've seen you'll be a welcomed change to that venue. "Take the world nice and easy, and the world will take you the same"

3. Nobody has carried a boom box since 1986 . "Don't be breaking your shin on a stool that's not in your way"

Enjoy your cruise!

"Here's to our wives and girlfriends. May they never meet"

Try a different cruise line maybe. I know for a fact that the Atlanta Jimmy Buffet fan club organizes a large group cruise and brings on a JB tribute band. Google and you'll find the info. But they are bringing approx. 400 passengers in their group. They are big enough to reserve an entire pool area for an afternoon. Need I mention this is usually on Carnival? Although they have been known to use other cruise lines as well, AFAIK

Since I booked, though, I've been thinking that the promotion (combined with some great prices next winter) would be the PERFECT opportunity to put together something I've been dreaming of for a couple years now. See, we have a pair of truly talented local musicians amongst our friends - even went on a group vacation with them to Ireland with us last year. I'd kill to have them along for a big cruise with the guys!

Would we be able to arrange for a conference room (or better yet, a bar?) for them to play in? How difficult/expensive would that be? I feel like I should say that they play inappropriate bawdy irish folk music, and we get a bit (read: occasionally VERY) loud. We'd likely all have the alcohol package, so I'm not sure the per-person parties I've read about would be worth the cost.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks you guys sound like a lot of fun. If it works out... post it here and you might get a lot of people book so they can come to the party too!!! :D

The cruise lines are contracted to companies to provide entertainment on board the ships, and they do have specific regulations against bringing musical instruments on board. Heck, they don't even allow boom boxes on board. I highly doubt they would allow any kind of personal entertainment on the ship. Maybe in one of their private conference rooms, but like I said, they don't allow passengers to bring their own instruments on board.

Oddly enough, our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean with a group of bluegrass musicians who not only brought their own instruments along, they encouraged everyone else to also. They also provided instrument rental for folks who didn't want to bring their own. They held jam sessions and classes (group and private) which one could participate in. They used one of the bars for the jam sessions, although they were only letting in the bluegrass cruisers and other cruising guests just had to listen from outside. Great fun.

When I hear how under-utilized Michael's Club is, I think that would be a perfect venue for what you have in mind, particularly if you didn't mind doing your get-togethers during the day when the bar is closed anyways. Most ships also have lots of conference rooms that I guess go unused most of the time, particularly at night, although bar service might be harder to come by in the room like that. If a guitar and a mandolin are all that you need, any room would work, I'm sure.

I've actually played the piano near the coffee bar and our friends sang some songs a few times on the Equinox, and no one ever voiced a problem with it.

My only concern is that you won't be on my next cruise - your group sounds like a hoot and I think a lot of people would love to join you.

I would talk to the CEO of the Hotel Directors. They may have to perform for him/her first. Then you may be able to book say Michael's Club. You may have to book the rooms required to book Michael's Club example 120/seats = 80 rooms. Only they would be allowed in the Club at those times.

Then you sell the rooms you don't need to people wherever you can. Set up your own Travel company with itinerary and times of music. Example 7 day cruise going to Coz, Jamaica, and Private Island. Have the music for the sea days from 1-3 pm & 7-10 pm (arrange practice time in the morning). On port days maybe 7-12 PM. All music will be pre-approved so no problem with inappropriate songs.

It will be like having a conference on board. People will pay you to go to Irish Pub Night Conference. You will have to pay the rates for their Bar Staff plus large tip. You could also order food for it too. IrishIrish pub food.

This way your musicans can bring their own instruments aboard but they will need to sign agreements that they will only use them when allowed by contract. If they need time for set-up, tune-up ect add it on to playing times at the front and put it in the contract.

I would talk to the CEO of the Hotel Directors. They may have to perform for him/her first. Then you may be able to book say Michael's Club. You may have to book the rooms required to book Michael's Club example 120/seats = 80 rooms. Only they would be allowed in the Club at those times.

Then you sell the rooms you don't need to people wherever you can. Set up your own Travel company with itinerary and times of music. Example 7 day cruise going to Coz, Jamaica, and Private Island. Have the music for the sea days from 1-3 pm & 7-10 pm (arrange practice time in the morning). On port days maybe 7-12 PM. All music will be pre-approved so no problem with inappropriate songs.

It will be like having a conference on board. People will pay you to go to Irish Pub Night Conference. You will have to pay the rates for their Bar Staff plus large tip. You could also order food for it too. IrishIrish pub food.

This way your musicans can bring their own instruments aboard but they will need to sign agreements that they will only use them when allowed by contract. If they need time for set-up, tune-up ect add it on to playing times at the front and put it in the contract.

This Gr.Grandma likes bawdy songs,don't leave me out.;)

My husband and written 5 books, he has done book signings and lectures on True Crime during cruises on NCL, X and RCCL.

I know its not the SAME as a band, but they hire people to speak on the ships and they also sell books in the stores, so I know that they have contracts with others who do the same thing we did while aboard.

Never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

As for the other parts of your post, are you being serious? I don't think any cruise line would allow very loud, obnoxious behavior or inappropriate bawdy music on their ships. People have been kicked off ships for less than what you're saying. Remember, cruise lines have a responsibility to all their passengers, and they have to make sure not to anger or insult their passengers. Probably not a good idea to promote inappropriate, bawdy music on any cruise lest you hack off the powers that be and find your group looking for a flight home at the next available port.

Just to correct this...Celebrity does allow you to bring an instrument on board if it is cleared with them...and is not a large instrument, obviously...so I am unsure if a guitar would be allowed, but I would check! A band member that I know, friends with my boyfriend who works on the Reflection, his brother came on board with his trumpet and joined in with the band on a few numbers. These things are really up to their discretion as far as I'm aware. Sounds like a great time to me! Wish I was there ;) Enjoy your cruise!

Try a different cruise line maybe. I know for a fact that the Atlanta Jimmy Buffet fan club organizes a large group cruise and brings on a JB tribute band. Google and you'll find the info. But they are bringing approx. 400 passengers in their group. They are big enough to reserve an entire pool area for an afternoon. Need I mention this is usually on Carnival? Although they have been known to use other cruise lines as well, AFAIK

Holland America hosts a "Blues Cruise" annually, where they hire blues bands to play various venues, and also allow (read: encourage) amateur jam sessions. I've never been on one, but we have friends that go every year. So, it's not just the likes of Carnival that allow such things.

I can't believe that if you had 8+ cabins booked and had a group that X couldn't rent you a conference room or bar for an event or two. I love the idea of making a much larger group for an "Irish pub theme" cruise - sounds like a blast!

Moving away from the speculative and into what I have personally observed on x or rccl:

I have seen people who brought guitars or other "band" instruments. I have no idea where or if they played them.

I have personally been amongst a group of friends who "took over" entertainment in the piano bar for a couple hours late one night (with the full cooperation of the resident artist, who was more than happy to take a break).

So I think "ymmv" but your first step would be to contact the cruise line and see if this is something they'd like to officially sanction. You may have better luck if you have a fistful of cabins to book and an agent to help you navigate.

Good luck?

We went on a RC cruise (sister line of Celebrity) and two of us took guitars but we just played them in our rooms, not in any public or rented area. But what we did do, which was pretty cool, the ship had a string quartet that played around the ship in the afternoons and evenings. We had them come to Chops and play a few songs for us, included happy b'day to my brother in law. We were in a private room off of the main chops dining room. I can't remember what we paid them but it wasn't a crazy amount. It added a lot to the evening.

Archived