Aqua Blu and Main Dinning Room

cruiseonly

You should be able to eat in the MDR without a problem. Ask the Maitre d' in Blu to set it up...or if you want to decide at the last minute, find out how they do it on your cruise. On some ships, they tell you to go to select dining...on others, they prefer you to join early or late seating.

I predict that after on evening meal in the MDR, you'll rush back to Blu and the quiet, smaller venue.

In fact, i have heard that people can order from the mdr menu in blu. But, if you are just wanting to experience the mdr, it is available, just call the mdr reservations number from your stateroom to get a seating....any of the specialty restaurants are also available...reservations required for specialty, too, of course. I personally enjoy the mdr and the fun of meeting so many people. Very reserved atmosphere in blu...but to each his own.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

In fact, i have heard that people can order from the mdr menu in blu. But, if you are just wanting to experience the mdr, it is available, just call the mdr reservations number from your stateroom to get a seating....any of the specialty restaurants are also available...reservations required for specialty, too, of course. I personally enjoy the mdr and the fun of meeting so many people. Very reserved atmosphere in blu...but to each his own.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

It very much depends on which ship whether Blu guests can order on the night from the MDR menu. It is more likely to be offered on M class ships where the galleys are adjacent. On S class ships there is a two floor journey to get the food, so they have to take someone off their other duties to go and get the food. This impacts on the staff and can also impact on customer service. Therefore for requests made during the evening the Blu Maitre D often has to say no as if he judges the impact will be too great - understandable IMHO

We do, because of food allergies sometimes have MDR items in Blu, but always agreed the night before when DH reviews the menu, that way the Blu chef can have the items brought up earlier and finish them off in the Blu galley.

I think it's fairer if we want more than one item, that we move to the MDR for that night. The dinner menus are posted outside Blu and MDR in the morning, so you can make your plans during the day.

On my cruise on the Solstice this past August, I was in AQ (and thus assigned to Blu) but ate in the MDR for dinner several times.

I have read often on this board that AQ guests need to specify a dinner seating time (early or late) even though that Blu is open seating.

We were initially in a Veranda then upgraded to AQ due to a price drop, and in our booking for the Veranda room we were select dining.

This appears to help IMMENSELY in your ability to waffle between Blu and the MDR. You still prepay tips so it doesn't really change anything except a seemingly-miniscule detail on your reservation that allows you to show up at the Select Dining kiosk any night you want and get a table. You don't need to speak with anyone at Blu to do this... just show up.

But you need to make sure you have designated as Select Dining on your reservation.

On my cruise on the Solstice this past August, I was in AQ (and thus assigned to Blu) but ate in the MDR for dinner several times.

I have read often on this board that AQ guests need to specify a dinner seating time (early or late) even though that Blu is open seating.

We were initially in a Veranda then upgraded to AQ due to a price drop, and in our booking for the Veranda room we were select dining.

This appears to help IMMENSELY in your ability to waffle between Blu and the MDR. You still prepay tips so it doesn't really change anything except a seemingly-miniscule detail on your reservation that allows you to show up at the Select Dining kiosk any night you want and get a table. You don't need to speak with anyone at Blu to do this... just show up.

But you need to make sure you have designated as Select Dining on your reservation.

Sorry...but this post is completely wrong!

The selection of early/late/select when you book an aqua class room only effects Celebrity's billling...it has absolutely no effect on the cruise. If you choose early/late, then you are not billed gratuities with your final payment....if you choose select, then you will be billed for gratuities at final payment time.

Irrespective of what you choose, if you are in Aqua Class, you are assigned to Blu. However, if you would prefer to eat in the MDR for a night or two, they can usually arrange it. Some cruises/ships tell you to just to go select dining if you want to eat in the MDR. Other cruises/ships want you to arrange MDR seating through the Blu Maitre d' and you are assigned to eat at early or late seatings, not select.

And to reinforce what GHstudio has said, sometimes Blu guests cannot be accommodated in the MDR select as it is fully subscribed

As a further point, they prefer you to work in advance through the Maitre Ds rather than just flip around as you want. This means the Blu MD knows whether you are planning to be there that night or not, when he/she knows you will not be there, this increases the space they can offer to suite guests on that night (remember they cannot automatically go to Blu it is on a by space basis)

The selection of early/late/select when you book an aqua class room only effects Celebrity's billling...it has absolutely no effect on the cruise. If you choose early/late, then you are not billed gratuities with your final payment....if you choose select, then you will be billed for gratuities at final payment time.

Irrespective of what you choose, if you are in Aqua Class, you are assigned to Blu. However, if you would prefer to eat in the MDR for a night or two, they can usually arrange it. Some cruises/ships tell you to just to go select dining if you want to eat in the MDR. Other cruises/ships want you to arrange MDR seating through the Blu Maitre d' and you are assigned to eat at early or late seatings, not select.

Agree completely, as a matter of fact a couple people have reported recently that they were asked for their room keys and referred back to Blu so choosing Select has nothing to do with the ability to get space in the MDR. It is more a function of each individual ship where, when and if you can eat in the MDR.

It should be remembered that when you choose an AQ cabin your default dining room is Blu and no arrangements are made for you in the MDR.

On a recent Silhouette cruise we ate in the MDR 2/3 of the time, because we preferred the menu. On our first night in the MDR we were seated in the assigned time area on the lower level of the MDR and found that we liked our wait staff. The maitre' d told us that any night we wished to come to his area we should come about a half hour late and he would try to seat us with our preferred wait staff. He did, every night, at a table for two.

My apologies. I appear to have been the only person in the history of Celebrity Cruises who was booked in Blu and received a phone call from the Maitre D' of the MDR who told me that the "MDR is my dining room too" and I should come by whenever I want -- no reservations or pre-planning necessary. Of course, everyone else's experience likely differs, and also, of course, my experience was based solely on observation and knowledge of my own booking and speculation (not certainty) about operating procedures. And yes, every ship is different. So I apologize about sharing my experience and I will keep my experiences to myself in the future.

If I am booked in an AQua cabin, we are assigned to the Blu Restaurant.

If I so desire, can I go a few nights to the Main Dinning Room, or do I have to stick to Blu or the Specialty Restaurants.

Thanks

My wife and I travelled AC but our friends travelled CC. We ate with them in MDR every night without any problem. I breakasted in Blu

Johnherm

...So I apologize about sharing my experience and I will keep my experiences to myself in the future.

Why let one poster's opinion bother you so much? Many of us appreciate hearing about the kind of experience you had. The fact is that in spite of what the rules are, many seem to have unique experiences.

For example, we had learned from these forums that while you could not order MDR food in Blu on S-Class ships, you could on M-Class ships becuase of the proximity of the galleys. However, on the Summit, an M-Class ship, the Blu staff told us that we could not order MDR food in Blu. That was our experience. If someone told me I was completely wrong, I think such a comment would reflect more on that poster and not on me. I believe many people would want to know that at on at least one sailing on the Summit, Blu diners were unable to order off the MDR menu.

So please, don't be discouraged by one remark. There are many more of us out there who are receptive to hearing your actual experience, whether it was unique or not.

My apologies. I appear to have been the only person in the history of Celebrity Cruises who was booked in Blu and received a phone call from the Maitre D' of the MDR who told me that the "MDR is my dining room too" and I should come by whenever I want -- no reservations or pre-planning necessary. Of course, everyone else's experience likely differs, and also, of course, my experience was based solely on observation and knowledge of my own booking and speculation (not certainty) about operating procedures. And yes, every ship is different. So I apologize about sharing my experience and I will keep my experiences to myself in the future.

Boston Scientist: I'll back you up! Friends were in AQ and they had Select Dining and they were also advised they were free to go between Blu and the CSD section of the MDR as they wished as they, in effect, had spaces reserved for them in both (his words).

Don't think thats the case, I think that we all run into people who have different interpretations of how things are done and also in the case of a large cruise may depend on procedures on a particular ship. There are also people who just don't want to tell a customer no, you can't do that. If we took everything said by Celebrity customer service as gospel, many would be in deep trouble.

Went Aquaclass from Venice on Silhouette last July and went to Blu on first evening. Didn't care for any of the starters on the menu so asked (politely) for the French Onion Soup which I know to be a standard offering in MDR. Waiter regretted that he couldn't provide this so I waived the first course. Maitre D' then intervened and I was provided with the requested soup. Not greatly impressed by the remaining menu so next night reverted to MDR as we had paid gratuities and had Select Dining status.

MDR Maitre D' seemed flattered that I preferred his menu and venue to Blu and we were well attended to. However, the Maitre D' from Blu then began an intensive campaign to persuade us to return. When we failed to show on the third night I received copies of the forthcoming 10 days of Blu menus with an earnest entreaty to "give us another chance". We did so on two occasions throughout the cruise and were greeted like long lost friends.

As we ate in speciality restaurants and in our cabin on several nights I'm not sure that it mattered to anyone onboard (other than Blu) where we were and the MDR staff were, as always, extremely nice and less fussy or formal than those in Blu.

So,you pay your money -- you take your choice!

Escrit

MDR Maitre D' seemed flattered that I preferred his menu and venue to Blu and we were well attended to. However, the Maitre D' from Blu then began an intensive campaign to persuade us to return. When we failed to show on the third night I received copies of the forthcoming 10 days of Blu menus with an earnest entreaty to "give us another chance". We did so on two occasions throughout the cruise and were greeted like long lost friends.

As we ate in speciality restaurants and in our cabin on several nights I'm not sure that it mattered to anyone onboard (other than Blu) where we were and the MDR staff were, as always, extremely nice and less fussy or formal than those in Blu.

So,you pay your money -- you take your choice!

Escrit

With the exception of receiving 10 days of menus, your experience seems identical to mine!

Thanks for replies.

I am sure that we will like Blu.

I am sure you will too! We are looking forward to enjoying it on the Eclipse T/A in April. But like others here will sample MDR occasionally too - as well as the quirky Qsine.

Fascinating to read the experiences of others who have sailed many more times than us. The common theme seems to be the desire of Celebrity staff (and Maitre Ds in particular) to please.;)

Just wanted to share my experience with Blu on the Eclipse. We travel with a large group of friends and wanted to eat with them part of the time. I tried making arrangements ahead of time for this and was informed I had to wait until I boarded the ship and see the head maitr'd for the arrangements so that's what I did. I went directly to the MDR and asked to be assigned to my friends table along with another couple who was also in Aqua. They were more than happy to accomodate our request. We split our dining time between Blu and the MDR. I might add that my friend requested food from BLU while in the MDR and was happily accomodated.

We would always check out the menus that are posted in front of the MDR and Blu each morning and decide where we wanted to eat.

FYI unless it's changed Blu serves a wonderful filet mignon on the first night.

My post, if you read it again, does not say you didn't get a call from the maitre d' or weren't welcome in the MDR.....it said that your election of "select dining" had no effect on your ability to eat in the MDR. My post was accurate, even in your case. Quite possibly the maitre d' called everyone in Blu to tell them that they were welcome in the MDR...again, it had nothing to do with your choosing Select dining on your reservation.

I wasn't questioning your experience, I was commenting on your interpretation of why it happened....and your suggestion that others choose select dining to facilitate eating in the MDR.

My post, if you read it again, does not say you didn't get a call from the maitre d' or weren't welcome in the MDR.....it said that your election of "select dining" had no effect on your ability to eat in the MDR. My post was accurate, even in your case. Quite possibly the maitre d' called everyone in Blu to tell them that they were welcome in the MDR...again, it had nothing to do with your choosing Select dining on your reservation.

I wasn't questioning your experience, I was commenting on your interpretation of why it happened....and your suggestion that others choose select dining to facilitate eating in the MDR.

Sorry, but if you are in Blu and choose Select Dining it will have nothing to do with whether or not you can eat in the MDR and that is what GH is saying. He is absolutely correct. Actually it used to be that way however they took you out of Blu completely when you chose Select Dining in AQ. That however thank goodness has been changed.

Archived