Aqua class parents, regular class kids

Avery's mom

When I booked AQ it was represented to me by my T.A that AQ would be child free due to the nature of two-max per cabin. :confused: I am NOT anti-child

BTW. I just thought it was interesting of my T.A. To volunteer that info

There is a common misconception that children are not allowed in AQ cabins and that, as a result, Blu is child free.

The facts are that AQ cabins are limited to two occupants. Because of this it is uncommon to see children in AQ as the majority of young children on board are booked as 3rd/4th passengers in their parents cabin or in a connecting cabin of which there are none in AQ. But children can be AQ passengers sharing a cabin with a single parent or, probably, in an adjoining cabin as well. I did read once on these boards of a couple in an AQ cabin with a baby or toddler in a portable crib - but that seems to be an isolated instance for some reason and I've not heard of another occurrence of that.

"At Least one cabin occupant must be over 21"

Another misconception. In the past it was required to book at least one adult in the cabin but this was a control to avoid the possibility of underage passengers traveling without parents or adults. Our experience, years ago when our kids were young, was that there was no issue swapping kids and adults once on board so the kids, and parents, each had their own cabin. With today's computers I think the cruise lines can monitor this differently so I don't think there is an "adult in each room" requirement any more although we haven't traveled with underage children in years so I can't say for certain.

When I booked AQ it was represented to me by my T.A that AQ would be child free due to the nature of two-max per cabin. :confused: I am NOT anti-child

BTW. I just thought it was interesting of my T.A. To volunteer that info

You TA is wrong, the following is from the Celebrity web site and pertains to dining in Blu however it is self explanatory.

Guests dining in the following Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old: Murano, SS United States, The Olympic, Ocean Liners, The Normandie. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass® staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard our Solstice® Class ships, children that are booked in suites that are at least 12 years old will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability only. Please note that any suite guests that dine in Blu will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest.

The booking engine for RCL/Celebrity will NOT let you book any cabin unless 1 passenger in the cabin is 21. They will be able to swap once on board to have the right access to the right cabin, however, since they are across the hall.

As for Blu, unfortunately you're out of luck there - since that's only for Aqua and for suite on an as available basis.

I agree with the others - let them eat on their own a few times, i'm sure they can handle it - if they are well behaved children generally. :-)

Perhaps the computer will not allow you to book the kids adjacent but I'm sure if you call or go throught a TA there will be no problem. I always booked my kids when they were young in a seperate cabin and they accepted it without any difficulty at all. We usually did an outside and an inside. This was before the prevelence of computers.

There is a common misconception that children are not allowed in AQ cabins and that, as a result, Blu is child free.

The facts are that AQ cabins are limited to two occupants. Because of this it is uncommon to see children in AQ as the majority of young children on board are booked as 3rd/4th passengers in their parents cabin or in a connecting cabin of which there are none in AQ. But children can be AQ passengers sharing a cabin with a single parent or, probably, in an adjoining cabin as well. I did read once on these boards of a couple in an AQ cabin with a baby or toddler in a portable crib - but that seems to be an isolated instance for some reason and I've not heard of another occurrence of that.

Another misconception. In the past it was required to book at least one adult in the cabin but this was a control to avoid the possibility of underage passengers traveling without parents or adults. Our experience, years ago when our kids were young, was that there was no issue swapping kids and adults once on board so the kids, and parents, each had their own cabin. With today's computers I think the cruise lines can monitor this differently so I don't think there is an "adult in each room" requirement any more although we haven't traveled with underage children in years so I can't say for certain.[/

Your response encompasses what I was already thinking. I never even asked the T.A. About the kid thing. Only asked her about the differences between CC and AQ, and it was more regarding the cabin experience and not BLU, since I didn't really know much about BLU to begin with. As an aside, she just happened to say that there wouldn't be kids in AQ. Thank you , LSimon, for your nice and respectful and informative post.

We are a family of 4 and have booked side by side AQ cabins for me, DH and our 2 DD's ages 12 and 16 on our upcoming Silhouette cruise.

We booked one adult in each cabin, but others have suggested that it isn't really necessary if the cabins are adjacent. Therefore I wonder if the OP could make it work if she can get 3 adjacent AQ cabins and pay the single supplement (probably 100%) for one cabin. Might be cheaper than trying to get a suite and would mean guaranteed access to Blu. Do you think that would work if the cost is acceptable to the OP?

Sadly misinformed, that TA was. The two person occupancy does not mean two adults, and also children staying in suites with their parents can dine in BLU on a space available basis.

The more I read of misinformation provided by TAs, the more I'm convinced that the new cruiser needs to be aware of sites like Cruise Critic. It is also important for any cruiser to question their prospective TA to try as best as possible to determine if they are well informed about the line. We cannot expect every agent to know everything about every line, but we should expect that they have travel experience on the line that we are planning to use for our cruise. A greta TA is an asset, a poor one is an Albatross.

Another misconception. In the past it was required to book at least one adult in the cabin but this was a control to avoid the possibility of underage passengers traveling without parents or adults. Our experience, years ago when our kids were young, was that there was no issue swapping kids and adults once on board so the kids, and parents, each had their own cabin. With today's computers I think the cruise lines can monitor this differently so I don't think there is an "adult in each room" requirement any more although we haven't traveled with underage children in years so I can't say for certain.

The key to the above is ON BOARD. You CANNOT make a reservation in cruisingpower (their online system) without having 1 occupant be 21 years of age. I know this to be a fact as I am someone who books using their system. I tried to do it last week for a client who wanted 3 kids in a cabin. It yelled at me stating at least one person in the cabin had to be 21 or older. :(

Once on board, you can work with guest relations and if you are within reason, they will swap out as appropriate.

The more I read of misinformation provided by TAs, the more I'm convinced that the new cruiser needs to be aware of sites like Cruise Critic. It is also important for any cruiser to question their prospective TA to try as best as possible to determine if they are well informed about the line. We cannot expect every agent to know everything about every line, but we should expect that they have travel experience on the line that we are planning to use for our cruise. A greta TA is an asset, a poor one is an Albatross.

FYI, my T.A. Happens to be very well informed about cruising. I found her many years ago on the recommendation of many longtime cruisers here on Cruise Critic.:D She has plenty of Celebrity cruises under her belt, BTW. ;)

As stated before, I don't have a problem with kids.

:D. I hope AQ is full of toddlers and teeny boppers!

FYI, my T.A. Happens to be very well informed about cruising. I found her many years ago on the recommendation of many longtime cruisers here on Cruise Critic.:D She has plenty of Celebrity cruises under her belt, BTW. ;)

As stated before, I don't have a problem with kids.

:D. I hope AQ is full of toddlers and teeny boppers!

I started another thread where people can gives tips on what to look for when selecting a TA. In my response to your post I was only indicating that the statement made by your TA was incorrect. I did not say, mean to say, or imply that you had any problems with children. Great that you have confidence in your TA and hope you continue to use her/him.

I agree with the posts that state that there are many traps for new cruisers and that TA may or may not know everything there is to know about a particular cruiseline, ship or cruise. However, it does not help when there is so much misinformation (or contradictory) on the cruiseline s website and when phoning in getting three differing answers from three different people.

As someone said on another thread, if you do not like the answer you get, hang up and try again in two hours.:D

I agree with the posts that state that there are many traps for new cruisers and that TA may or may not know everything there is to know about a particular cruiseline, ship or cruise. However, it does not help when there is so much misinformation (or contradictory) on the cruiseline s website and when phoning in getting three differing answers from three different people.

As someone said on another thread, if you do not like the answer you get, hang up and try again in two hours.:D

You are completely correct. I've had Celebrity Representatives that have confessed after some questioning that they were new and never on a ship. Celebrity needs to make as certain as possible that those answering the phone are fully trained and that training should include shipboard experience. People like Gonzo70, Denny01 ,Host Andy, LSimon, just to name a few, are the best sources of accurate, reliable information.

You are completely correct. I've had Celebrity Representatives that have confessed after some questioning that they were new and never on a ship. Celebrity needs to make as certain as possible that those answering the phone are fully trained and that training should include shipboard experience. People like Gonzo70, Denny01 ,Host Andy, LSimon, just to name a few, are the best sources of accurate, reliable information.

CC is the best source of information. If someone has something wrong, it is generally put right very quickly.:D

The key to the above is ON BOARD. You CANNOT make a reservation in cruisingpower (their online system) without having 1 occupant be 21 years of age. I know this to be a fact as I am someone who books using their system. I tried to do it last week for a client who wanted 3 kids in a cabin. It yelled at me stating at least one person in the cabin had to be 21 or older. :(

Travelers who book directly with Celebrity can do it.

We have a couple of upcoming cruises. When I booked with a TA, they had to split up me & my hubby to put a "kid" with each. (the "kids" are 17 and 20!)

The reservation I booked by phone with Celebrity was able to be booked with me & hubby in one cabin, and the kids in another. This was beneficial to us because the kids aren't eligible for the drink package promo, so we chose drink package for the adult cabin and OBC for the kids cabin.

Just an FYI, the easiest way to manage posters on Cruise Critic whose opinions frankly you have no interest in reading is to put them on your "Ignore" list.

From the main menu, select User CP, then Edit Ignore List, then add their user name to the Add A Member To Your List then Okay and Save Changes.

Once on your list, you will never have to read their postings again. (Unless of course someone quotes them)

I don't believe the OP said what ship or when. If you were talking to me, we'll be on the March 10 Silhouette sailing, which is our Spring Break, so you are warned. ;)

She better get used to kids on cruise ships with so many systems now doing unconventional schedules and with the numbers of kids now being home schooled. I have always said that someone like her should be grateful because without all those kids cruising with their families, Celebrity and quite a few other lines would now be defunct.

I'll go out on a limb here and just state what MANY people think but are afraid to admit ---- yes I am hoping to be cruising with a minimum of children. I don't hate children but I have raised mine and the less I have to interact with yours on a cruise or other vacation, the happier for me. That said I know that there will be children on a cruise - and as long as they stay out of the adults area - then we shall all have a great time. When I want the child free vacation - there is a special resort on Antigua that welcomes me.

This thread is wandering away from the original question. The OP was trying to figure out if she could arrange for 2 adults and 3 kids to eat in Blu. We have been brainstorming various options to see if she can achieve her goal. I hope the OP eventually comes back and lets us know what she decides to do.

I the number of tables seating more than 4 people was very limited. The larger groups had to wait while DH and I could get a 2 top right away. I would be very surprised if their group of 5 would be allowed to take one of the larger tables.

An option is to book everyone nonAQ and buy a restaurant package. That would allow for special meals with or without the entire party.

The booking engine for RCL/Celebrity will NOT let you book any cabin unless 1 passenger in the cabin is 21. They will be able to swap once on board to have the right access to the right cabin, however, since they are across the hall.

As for Blu, unfortunately you're out of luck there - since that's only for Aqua and for suite on an as available basis.

I agree with the others - let them eat on their own a few times, i'm sure they can handle it - if they are well behaved children generally. :-)

On a recent cruise, we dined in Select dining every night. One night 2 teens were at our table on their own. They said their parents were dining elsewhere. They were really fun to talk to, and behaved beautifully. Probably your teens might actually enjoy being on their own for some meals. Good luck.

I the number of tables seating more than 4 people was very limited. The larger groups had to wait while DH and I could get a 2 top right away. I would be very surprised if their group of 5 would be allowed to take one of the larger tables.

An option is to book everyone nonAQ and buy a restaurant package. That would allow for special meals with or without the entire party.

Thank you for this suggestion! I do have a question, once again. In our group, we have 4 people who are older than 12 and my daughter is 10. All well-behaved, young ladies who enjoy fine dining. My daughter watches Chopped, Iron Chef, Top Chef, etc...As those of you who watch Modern Family -these girls are much like Manny - older in their mannerisms than their ages indicates.

On Royal, we can dine in the alternate restaurants before 7pm with children under 12. However, this doesn't appear to be the case on Celebrity. I hate to be a rule bender - but Qsine seems to be the only restaurant that we'll be able to dine in - is this correct? I am confused also because the Celebrity website says that SS Normandie is onboard Summit - but when I go to look at restaurant packages for the Summit, it lists Murano. What gives?

As to those who have suggested that we let the girls dine as a trio - my sister has requested that they don't dine without us. She asked me - "why bring them if you're not going to dine together?" I agree with her. We will probably do one night as a couple's dinner with the girls in the Fun Factory/Teen Center. As she is letting us take her girls across the country and then OUT of the country - I'm inclined to do as she asks.

Why, oh, why can't there just be a suite that sleeps 5??

Thank you for this suggestion! I do have a question' date=' once again. In our group, we have 4 people who are older than 12 and my daughter is 10. All well-behaved, young ladies who enjoy fine dining. My daughter watches Chopped, Iron Chef, Top Chef, etc...As those of you who watch Modern Family -these girls are much like Manny - older in their mannerisms than their ages indicates.

On Royal, we can dine in the alternate restaurants before 7pm with children under 12. However, this doesn't appear to be the case on Celebrity. I hate to be a rule bender - but Qsine seems to be the only restaurant that we'll be able to dine in - is this correct? I am confused also because the Celebrity website says that SS Normandie is onboard Summit - but when I go to look at restaurant packages for the Summit, it lists Murano. What gives?

As to those who have suggested that we let the girls dine as a trio - my sister has requested that they don't dine without us. She asked me - "why bring them if you're not going to dine together?" I agree with her. We will probably do one night as a couple's dinner with the girls in the Fun Factory/Teen Center. As she is letting us take her girls across the country and then OUT of the country - I'm inclined to do as she asks.

Why, oh, why can't there just be a suite that sleeps 5??[/quote']

I quoted the age policy in post #27 of this thread.

Thank you for this suggestion! I do have a question' date=' once again. In our group, we have 4 people who are older than 12 and my daughter is 10. All well-behaved, young ladies who enjoy fine dining. My daughter watches Chopped, Iron Chef, Top Chef, etc...As those of you who watch Modern Family -these girls are much like Manny - older in their mannerisms than their ages indicates.

Why, oh, why can't there just be a suite that sleeps 5??[/quote']

You can sleep 5 on the Summit in the FV stateroom but that is not a suite nor AQ. The Penthouse has a connecting Sky Suite which is specially decorated to match the penthouse - I'm sure your family of five would fit very comfortably if you booked both:rolleyes:

The Normandy and Muranos are the same. On the Summit and other M class ships this restaurant had a unique name on each ship but each ship had more or less the same menu and style. When they built the S class ships they named all of this type of restaurant Muranos and standardized the menu across the fleet including all the similar M class ships but retained the original names on the M class ship including the Normandy on Summit. Because of this some people erroneously call the restaurants on the M class ships Muranos instead of their correct name since they are more or less the same.

The Normandy/Muranos type restaurants are the only ones that have a minimum age. They are generally pretty strict about this. We've occasionally heard of rare exceptions being made if a booking is available for the semi-private wine room in these restaurants - but I wouldn't count on it and in any event this could not be arraigned before you are on board.

I'll one thing: We did our first AQ cruise last spring and loved Blu but we know quite a few other cruisers who do not like Blu and prefer the MDR, so it is not a slam dunk that your children would prefer Blu in any event. We also cruised last month in a standard room and were disappointed that we were not going to be able to dine in Blu. We were pleasantly surprised that the MDR food was greatly improved over our recent MDR experiences over the past few years making the difference between Blu and the MDR much less apparent. The bottom line is that if you may find that missing out on Blu is not as big of a deal as you think it may be.

Archived