1st time in a balcony questions

This is my third cruise but my first in a balcony (on the hump). Are there any do's and don'ts with a balcony?? ie: leaving the door open in the evening, etc?

Thanks

Bring binoculars.

Clothespins are also helpful for wet bathing suits on chairs.

If your balcony door is open, and you open the cabin door, be prepared for a wind tunnel that could knock you over.:eek:

This is my third cruise but my first in a balcony (on the hump). Are there any do's and don'ts with a balcony?? ie: leaving the door open in the evening, etc?

Thanks

We love balcony cabins and we just had a hump balcony on the Mariner in December! Absolutely LOVED it!!! :D When we were docked in Falmouth, Jamaica, it was a very warm day and the sun was on our balcony so I decided it was a good time to wash out our bathing suits and hang them on the chairs while we were in port. We left them there all day and after sailing away, I noticed they had blown off the chairs and onto the floor. We didn't loose them but we could have. Lesson learned. :eek:

You are expected to keep the balcony doors closed. Leaving doors open can cause problems with your cabin AC. You will be spoiled once you have cruised with a balcony! I love to sit out there at night and see the stars.

Don't get a balcony!!! Once you do, you will never be able to go back to just a window or porthole. Just kidding; you will love being able to have your morning coffee with the sea air and sound of the waves massaging your senses. In the evening, it is a great place to unwind before bed. Plus, when dressing for the evening, it's a great place to hang out while one's wife is dressing and all those other things she does to intensify her beauty.

To answer your question, if you leave your balcony door open, or even cracked a bit, you can sleep to the sound of the waves as the ship glides through the water. However, a few cautions: the staff highly frowns on this as it does affect the control of the temperature in the cabin and if you open the door to the corridor, it creates a huge flow of air which can cause the corridor to slam with a very noticable bang and damage to any digits that may be between the door and the jamb.

Enjoy!

Captain Ronn

Don't get a balcony!!! Once you do, you will never be able to go back to just a window or porthole. Just kidding; you will love being able to have your morning coffee with the sea air and sound of the waves massaging your senses. In the evening, it is a great place to unwind before bed. Plus, when dressing for the evening, it's a great place to hang out while one's wife is dressing and all those other things she does to intensify her beauty.

To answer your question, if you leave your balcony door open, or even cracked a bit, you can sleep to the sound of the waves as the ship glides through the water. However, a few cautions: the staff highly frowns on this as it does affect the control of the temperature in the cabin and if you open the door to the corridor, it creates a huge flow of air which can cause the corridor to slam with a very noticable bang and damage to any digits that may be between the door and the jamb.

Enjoy!

Captain Ronn

I totally agree with the fact that once you have cruised with a balcony, you will NEVER be able to cruise without one. We could never go back to one of those "closet" cabins..... :)

A friend who was on Oasis told us that they had a problem with the air conditioner in their balcony cabin. They called and complained about how hot it was in the cabin. Turns out that they had left the balcony door closed, but not latched. The newer ships shut off the AC if the balcony door is either open or not latched closed. As soon as they latched the balcony door, the AC turned back on.

Our first cruise, was an inside cabin, wanted to go cheap just because it was our first and we weren't sure if we'd even like cruising. Well of course we LOVED cruising, so they next two we had balconies, and could never go back to inside cabins or cabins without a balcony. I would feel claustrophobic now to be honest. On our second cruise, our honeymoon on the gorgeous Explorer of the seas, we splurged a but, anyway splurged for us, and got a Grand suite. Boy were we spoiled! Our third cruise was in a hump cabin and liked it very much. Although in my opinion a junior suite is not worth it. Its just a glorified regular balcony cabin with no concierge. Just my opinion.

Also, while the balcony door is open the AC will be disabled. We love to be able to hear the sound of the ocean, but the cabin can get pretty stuffy especially as the ship gets farther south.

This was not the case on the Indy. we had the balcony door open a lot and never did it shut down the a/c.....

If you decided to join The Balcony Club make sure that it isn't at a time when your neighbors can peek around the corner and catch you :o!

That's a BIG don't to me, ... DON"T peek around to your neighbors balcony.

It's very rude!!!

Bring binoculars.

Clothespins are also helpful for wet bathing suits on chairs.

If your balcony door is open, and you open the cabin door, be prepared for a wind tunnel that could knock you over.:eek:

Well said on all accounts. The binos have been a wonderful addition. When sailing around Cuba there are some beautiful barrier islands to look at on the western itinerary and the Eastern sailing into Nassau or St Thomas there is great scenery.

I will just add instead of the clothes pins, my wife found some clips made for holding towels to beach chairs. She found them at a dollar store. They are a little stronger than regular clothes pins as it can be windy.

John is right about the wind and doors. Just being aware of it goes a long way. Including if your balcony door is open and someone opens your cabin door to the ship. The pull can be surprising.

That's a BIG don't to me, ... DON"T peek around to your neighbors balcony.

It's very rude!!!

But I heard stumbling, heavy breathing and gasps of what I thought was pain. It was my moral obligation to ensure a violent crime was not occuring. I promise I deleted the evidence once I realized it was voluntary activity.

What is a "hump" cabin?

If you look at the RCI web site under ships /deck plans, you will notice towards the aft (rear) of the ship around where the elevator banks and stairwells are the decks protrude out in a rounded manner. These are the "humps". Other ships have similar, but usually smaller, features forward as well (Oaisis class) or jut in or out along the profile of the ship (Brilliance class). But the hump typically refers to the aft rounded protrusion around the elevator banks.

Archived