Is afternoon tea recommended?

Gig103

Hi all,

I noticed on our first X cruise that afternoon tea was an event in a specialty restaurant for (IIRC) $25 a person. With Tea Forte being included in the drink packages at Cafe Al Bacio, where there are also snacks and table service, is this event really worth the up-charge? It was free on Carnival (and apparently just about every other cruise line) and I'm sure you can tell I am skeptical from my question. I'd love to know your experiences with it.

Edited by Gig103

Hi all,

I noticed on our first X cruise that afternoon tea was an event in a specialty restaurant for (IIRC) $25 a person. With Tea Forte being included in the drink packages at Cafe Al Bacio, where there are also snacks and table service, is this event really worth the up-charge? It was free on Carnival (and apparently just about every other cruise line) and I'm sure you can tell I am skeptical from my question. I'd love to know your experiences with it.

Hi,:) I have not been recently but I have attended that "Specialty

Restaurant Tea" before...trying to think of the last time I went.....

Oh.....Eclipse a few years ago. I went with 3 gals from that

roll call. Champagne...bottomless;)....all sorts of finger sandwiches

and of course lots of nice desserts.....yes, it was held in Murano and

the 4 of us had a good time:)

I don't know what all the other cruiselines offer in comparison but I

enjoyed myself very much. And for me? Yes, it was worth it.

But of course, other people will probably disagree and say it is not,

but that is because we all have different opinions about everything

on here LOL......

Oh I forgot...they have TEA too LOL............:D

And the wait staff is quite dressed up...white glove service and stuff;)

Edited by Lois R

We did tea on Solstice about a year ago. I don't recall bottomless champagne, but there was a lovely pot of tea in a blend that was much different than anything you'd find out of the standard tea box, and it is presented properly. There was the standard tray of finger sandwiches and sweets, along with clotted cream for the scones. Not nearly enough clotted cream, but we were able to secure more.

I can't say whether you'd find it worthwhile. It's not like a cup of tea, it's tea.

Waving Hi to Lois!

We did tea on Solstice about a year ago. I don't recall bottomless champagne, but there was a lovely pot of tea in a blend that was much different than anything you'd find out of the standard tea box, and it is presented properly. There was the standard tray of finger sandwiches and sweets, along with clotted cream for the scones. Not nearly enough clotted cream, but we were able to secure more.

I can't say whether you'd find it worthwhile. It's not like a cup of tea, it's tea.

Waving Hi to Lois!

Hi Janine...waving back:) what ship are sailing on in April?

I thought I might also mention that Celebrity has tea every afternoon at 4 in the Oceanview Cafe. The scones are warm and they also have jam and clotted cream. Small sandwiches and other sweets are available too.

Edited by fgc15527

I thought I might also mention that Celebrity has tea every afternoon at 4 in the Oceanview Cafe. The scones are warm and they also have jam and clotted cream. Small sandwiches and other sweets are available too.

And that Tea is No extra charge;)

Sorry, but it's not "clotted cream"...:D It isn't real strawberry jam, either...;)

It's regular whipped cream and some kind of preserves, but quite nice, and the scones are not bad.

They also have a very nice ( complimentary) selection of sandwiches and cakes in the buffet as well - it's from 16.00 - 17.00 every day.

You are probably right about the cream - but as far as I could tell it is the same cream that they serve at the more formal teas. Jams are pretty good - mostly strawberry but we had a great Blueberry one on our last cruise. We always look forward to their afternoon tea!

Edited by fgc15527

I did the high tea with my Mum in Murano as a pre-lude for her 79th birthday which was next day. We received a glass of champagne and a pot of tea plus the plates tower with sweet and savoury nibbles.

All was really good, but we were not very hungry as had been to the special brunch that morning:rolleyes:.

Next day we had her Birthday dinner in Murano with a glass of champagne and then found that the champagne was $20 per glass. So you could say that for $5 you get the high tea and the special gloved service.;)

Sorry, but it's not "clotted cream"...:D It isn't real strawberry jam, either...;)

It's regular whipped cream and some kind of preserves, but quite nice, and the scones are not bad.

They also have a very nice ( complimentary) selection of sandwiches and cakes in the buffet as well - it's from 16.00 - 17.00 every day.

Interesting that you brought this up!

On Constellation last month, yes, there was the true clotted cream at the buffet (Oceanview cafe) during the 4pm 'tea time' on some days only . However, what has been a disapointment over the last 2 cruises has been the Elite Tea Time in the Dining Room. No clotted cream at all which wouldn't have helped the un-fresh scones in any case. The offerings are not anything particular by any stretch but it is nice to be served. I was asking for cream for my coffee (4x) and it was just not happening. I'm guessing a big surprise was that someone was not drinking tea black or with milk and the staff was ill-prepared. I was so happy to see the cream arrive, I tipped the asst. waiter!! In the past, we have had music by the string trio but this did not happen as well.

Interesting that you brought this up!

On Constellation last month, yes, there was the true clotted cream at the buffet (Oceanview cafe) during the 4pm 'tea time' on some days only . However, what has been a disapointment over the last 2 cruises has been the Elite Tea Time in the Dining Room. No clotted cream at all which wouldn't have helped the un-fresh scones in any case. The offerings are not anything particular by any stretch but it is nice to be served. I was asking for cream for my coffee (4x) and it was just not happening. I'm guessing a big surprise was that someone was not drinking tea black or with milk and the staff was ill-prepared. I was so happy to see the cream arrive, I tipped the asst. waiter!! In the past, we have had music by the string trio but this did not happen as well.

We are Elite but have never done the Elite Tea Time..do they serve champagn or just tea?

When we first started sailing Celebrity about 8 years ago a typical 10 night Celebrity cruise would have two Elegant Teas in the main dining room each cruise. These were great affairs with the waiters all in formal wear, formal table settings and a very nice selection of tea sandwiches and sweets. The waiters gave great service and it was a really nice event at no extra charge. As the years rolled by they've eliminated the open Elegant Tea but still had an Elite Tea for the top tier of Captains Club members and certain other invited guests. At first this was a very nice affair with all the excellent formal service of the prior Elegant Teas and sometimes in the even nicer setting of the specialty restaurants.

But after a couple years the service starting declining rapidly. The waiters no longer dressed formally, the tea food selection declined considerably, and the last two times went the service was just awful. It took 15 minutes to get tea, we almost couldn't get more hot water for a second cup and there were not even seconds on scones. The waiters had no idea of what a nice Tea service should be and did things in the wrong order.

We stopped going at that point, which was a couple years ago, so I don't know if the complimentary Elite Tea remains as poor or if it has improved again. It couldn't go downhill from where it was as the experience really wasn't any better than having tea up in the buffet. The buffet tea food selection had improved while the Elite/Elegant tea service had declined so that the food selections were about the same. I'd rather have self service in the buffet than terrible service in a dining room with waiters!

About the same time that the Elite/Elegant tea events declined I noticed they started the extra-charge Champagne Tea in one of the Specialty restaurants once a cruise. While I've heard very nice things about the extra charge tea it just burns me that you have to pay around $20+/pp to get an experience as nice as what was complimentary just a few years ago and as a result we've had no interest in going.

If what you want is an excellent cup of tea, beyond what is normally served in the dining areas, then head to Cafe al Bacio. For around $5 (included in the beverage packages) they have an excellent high quality tea which is properly served with steaming hot water in a nice china pot. They also have a nice selection of pastries and a small selection of tea sandwiches at certain times in the afternoon. While the service there is far from formal the nice waiters and waitresses at Cafe al Bacio provide much nicer service than the last couple Elite Teas we went to a few years ago. You won't be presented with quite the tea food selection that you'll find at the Champagne Tea but unless you want Tea to be a full meal you'll be happy. The only thing missing is scones and if you'd like those they serve nice scones in the buffet tea from 4 to 5PM on recent cruises.

Edited by Lsimon

When we first started sailing Celebrity about 8 years ago a typical 10 night Celebrity cruise would have two Elegant Teas in the main dining room each cruise. These were great affairs with the waiters all in formal wear, formal table settings and a very nice selection of tea sandwiches and sweets. The waiters gave great service and it was a really nice event at no extra charge. As the years rolled by they've eliminated the open Elegant Tea but still had an Elite Tea for the top tier of Captains Club members and certain other invited guests. At first this was a very nice affair with all the excellent formal service of the prior Elegant Teas and sometimes in the even nicer setting of the specialty restaurants.

But after a couple years the service starting declining rapidly. The waiters no longer dressed formally, the tea food selection declined considerably, and the last two times went the service was just awful. It took 15 minutes to get tea, we almost couldn't get more hot water for a second cup and there were not even seconds on scones. The waiters had no idea of what a nice Tea service should be and did things in the wrong order.

We stopped going at that point, which was a couple years ago, so I don't know if the complimentary Elite Tea remains as poor or if it has improved again. It couldn't go downhill from where it was as the experience really wasn't any better than having tea up in the buffet. The buffet tea food selection had improved while the Elite/Elegant tea service had declined so that the food selections were about the same. I'd rather have self service in the buffet than terrible service in a dining room with waiters!

About the same time that the Elite/Elegant tea events declined I noticed they started the extra-charge Champagne Tea in one of the Specialty restaurants once a cruise. While I've heard very nice things about the extra charge tea it just burns me that you have to pay around $20+/pp to get an experience as nice as what was complimentary just a few years ago and as a result we've had no interest in going.

If what you want is an excellent cup of tea, beyond what is normally served in the dining areas, then head to Cafe al Bacio. For around $5 (included in the beverage packages) they have an excellent high quality tea which is properly served with steaming hot water in a nice china pot. They also have a nice selection of pastries and a small selection of tea sandwiches at certain times in the afternoon. While the service there is far from formal the nice waiters and waitresses at Cafe al Bacio provide much nicer service than the last couple Elite Teas we went to a few years ago. You won't be presented with quite the tea food selection that you'll find at the Champagne Tea but unless you want Tea to be a full meal you'll be happy. The only thing missing is scones and if you'd like those they serve nice scones in the buffet tea from 4 to 5PM on recent cruises.

I would like to go off topic here for a quick minute and say thank you to Larry (Lsimon).

My wife and I are not new cruisers as we have been floating since 1991. We started on Carnival, moved over to Royal Caribbean, and now have our first Celebrity cruise booked.

As I travel around the =X= threads looking to have a glimpse of what to expect I always enjoy your interesting, well thought out posts - thank you.

The cruise industry has changed greatly over the past 20+ years, we are no longer in line for every show, sale, or parade on board and I probably know some Caribbean neighborhoods better than our own, we have come to a point where we like to keep it simple, your posts help us do this.

Again, thank you and sorry for the interruption.

Glenn

We are Elite but have never done the Elite Tea Time..do they serve champagn or just tea?

No champagne with Elite High Tea on the last cruises we were on.

When we became Elite we went with great expectations to our first Elite Elegant Tea because - like LSimon has pointed out - we were one of the lucky ones to have experienced the regular (and complimentary )Elegant Tea a few years ago.

Our first Elite Tea it was hilarious - imagine to be served a pot of not too hot water but no second tea bag available - the second time we were punctual but still too late because all the tables and seats were taken. They really tried to accomodate us and bring chairs etc. - but it was impossible for most of the latecomers to get one, and till the end of the hour we lucky ones with chairs didn't get any forks and spoons. The third time ( on "Reflection") was fabulous, though - lovely food, much better than the regular selection in the buffet. So we'll keep on going!

I attended high tea in murano on silhouette in march....we were offered 1 glass of champagne. The sweets and sandwiches were the exact same as the mdr tea a year before...that being said....murano was lovely, service was great, music was very good....IMHO not worth the price

I wouldnt do it again....15 bucks probably do it again

If what you want is an excellent cup of tea, beyond what is normally served in the dining areas, then head to Cafe al Bacio. For around $5 (included in the beverage packages) they have an excellent high quality tea which is properly served with steaming hot water in a nice china pot. They also have a nice selection of pastries and a small selection of tea sandwiches at certain times in the afternoon.

thanks for this point. I was afraid the tea would be a cup of hot water with a tea bag hanging from the side

Like Lois, I also joined some other ladies from the roll call and went to high tea in Murano on Eclipse. It was very nice, and we had bottomless Champagne, lovely finger sandwiches, a string quartet playing for us and white glove service. To me, it was worth it, but I am not sure I'll do it again--been there, done that. :D

• 9 months later...

I'm going to be a first time Celebrity cruiser who has been mostly on Princess. I love the free afternoon tea that Princess offers everyday in the MDR and am hoping to find that option on the Reflection.

I'm just wanting a nice tea, scones, cream and jam. Don't drink alcohol so just curious about the "common" afternoon tea. Is this available on the Reflection? If so, where is it held and at what time?

Thanks for any help. :)

Hi all,

Did it once with DW and a friend. We all thought it was very expensive for what you got, especially when you consider that there are tea sandwiches at this time at the buffet and lots of other choices, not to mention Café Al Bacio which has pastries, coffee, and tea. Free if you have the beverage package. Sparkling wine also available.

For $25 I can get a bucket of beer or close to it. I can also get 5 pots of tea from the coffee cafe. plus the free snacks. Don't know what being dressed properly to serve tea is but I don't know how that affects the taste of the tea.

We went to the tea on other cruise lines as a time killer. Not the high light of our day. We are now Elite on X and haven't attended any yet as there is always something more exciting to do.

I think it is a nice thing for free but $25 is a little crazy.

.🎅🎄

I'm going to be a first time Celebrity cruiser who has been mostly on Princess. I love the free afternoon tea that Princess offers everyday in the MDR and am hoping to find that option on the Reflection.

I'm just wanting a nice tea, scones, cream and jam. Don't drink alcohol so just curious about the "common" afternoon tea. Is this available on the Reflection? If so, where is it held and at what time?

Thanks for any help. :)

"Common" tea items, scones, cream, and jam will be available in the buffet starting around 4:00 p.m. Self service. Do not waste your money or time by attending the Elite tea or the extra charge tea. Same stuff. Tea bags. See the post from L. Simon previously. I absolutely agree with his assessment.