News from the Death Star: Nice weather and a weird rumor on the Monarch

Hello everyone. It's been a pretty nice weekend here on the Monarch. I'll be posting up a few pics and a brief review when I get home. I'm posting this now to share an odd rumor I heard today from one of the other cruisers.

I was having a conversation with one of the folks that practically resides onboard the Monarch. He told me that RCI has inked a deal with Carnival Corp. to lease out Coco Cay for CCL (and other lines under their enormous umbrella) to use on the days when an RCI ship is not there.

Of course I tried to run a search of the CC boards, but it's malfunctioning as usual. Google didn't reveal anything either. Has anyone heard about this? Seems odd to me that mortal enemies would share a private island like that. But I supose stranger things have happened.

Cheers for now.

Yeah... I don't see this happening. Carnival already has Half-Moon Cay in the Bahamas and I don't see them needing another destination in the Bahamas. Plus Mickey Arinson has no love for Royal Caribbean and I don't see him as the kind of guy to give ANY money to his rivals.

Course, I could be wrong. :confused:

Princess has their own island, Princess Cays, which is similar to Coco Cays. I would think anyone under the Carnival umbrella brand would use that instead of a Royal Caribbean island.

And HAL has Half Moon Cay which Carnival uses when there are no HAL ship there.

I'm throwing the BS flag ! :) As mentioned, Carnival Corp already has Princess Cays and Half Moon Cays......they're not subleasing Coco Cay !

Edited to say.....RCCL is there a Min. of 4 days a week with the Monarch and Majesty. They sure as heck aren't going to share it on the same day.

The locals need more tourist to spend money, it may not necessarily be a RC decision, they only lease the island. I bet it might help RC pay for the up grades to the island. But when would CCL use it??? All cruises are basically on the same time frames.

I'm throwing the BS flag ! :) As mentioned, Carnival Corp already has Princess Cays and Half Moon Cays......they're not subleasing Coco Cay !

Edited to say.....RCCL is there a Min. of 4 days a week with the Monarch and Majesty. They sure as heck aren't going to share it on the same day.

Not to mention when other ships go there........Freedom,Explorer,Celebrity,et..

Yeah... I don't see this happening. Carnival already has Half-Moon Cay in the Bahamas and I don't see them needing another destination in the Bahamas. Plus Mickey Arinson has no love for Royal Caribbean and I don't see him as the kind of guy to give ANY money to his rivals.

Course, I could be wrong. :confused:

Except the times that one of his ships, hits one of their ships!!:eek:

Hello everyone. It's been a pretty nice weekend here on the Monarch. I'll be posting up a few pics and a brief review when I get home. I'm posting this now to share an odd rumor I heard today from one of the other cruisers.

I was having a conversation with one of the folks that practically resides onboard the Monarch. He told me that RCI has inked a deal with Carnival Corp. to lease out Coco Cay for CCL (and other lines under their enormous umbrella) to use on the days when an RCI ship is not there.

Of course I tried to run a search of the CC boards, but it's malfunctioning as usual. Google didn't reveal anything either. Has anyone heard about this? Seems odd to me that mortal enemies would share a private island like that. But I supose stranger things have happened.

Cheers for now.

If this were the case where RCCL does not have enough ships to visit Coco Cay, then why visit Nassau? They could instead save the passengers a port fee, have a day at Coco Cay (which IMO is 100% nicer) and pocket all the money to their own company.

Doesn't add up and I can not imagine RCCL needing CCl's money.....

Not to mention when other ships go there........Freedom,Explorer,Celebrity,et..

I agree.....that's why I say at a Min. that island is used 4 days a week.

That's interesting to hear MSC goes there.....I wonder how often that happens? I hadn't heard that one before.

Refresh my memory, but isn't the CEO of MSC the former CEO of Celebrity or something like that?(something in my mind says he was employed with Celebrity)

I don't see this happening either because Carnival doesn't even use Princess's private island, Princess Cays. So I would think that Carnival would start using Princess's island first before they rented out RCI's.

But I guess anything is possible. Stranger things have happened...

Also like others have said, Cococay is rarely not used. For example in March, there are only 8 days where it is not being used.

This.

If you want to untangle the rumors, the FACT is that RC already "rents out" CocoCay to MSC.

NOT Carnival.

Exactly!

Carnival has:

Princess Cays (used mainly by Princess and P&O)

Half Moon Cay (used by HAL, Cunard, Carnival and Seabourn)

Catalina Island (used by Costa)

MSC doesn´t have a private island/beach and is using Coco Cay (RCCL) and Great Stirrup Cay (NCL)

steamboats

Okay, so it looks like we'll be filing that rumor in the "highly unlikely" folder and moving on.

On a semi-related note, there was yet another rumor bandied about that the new paperless coupons will be going into effect March 1. I think this one is more likely, I remember seeing that date in the other thread.

We're heading across the Beeline now, I'll be back on later to post up some pics.

Okay, so it looks like we'll be filing that rumor in the "highly unlikely" folder and moving on.

On a semi-related note, there was yet another rumor bandied about that the new paperless coupons will be going into effect March 1. I think this one is more likely, I remember seeing that date in the other thread.

We're heading across the Beeline now, I'll be back on later to post up some pics.:cool:

Please tell me all those new "beach"line signs were not installed in vain.:eek:

Perhaps they meant Celebrity – not Carnival. I’ve heard a few times on ships ( by some “Know it all”) that that RCCL owns Carnival. I often just let it go but once in a while I may say that they are mistaken and that it is Celebrity – not Carnival.

M

Archived