Wonderful Copenhagen

I know that this question has been asked before, but cannot find the answer :( Is it possible to buy the Copenhagen card at Freeport or at the closest metro station?

There is no metro station near the port (not until 2019 :D ) but Østerport and Nordhavn stations sells the card from the 7-eleven kiosks.

We are here for the best part of a day and seen somewhere there are cycles for free at the port, does anyone have any further details or experiences of these please, ie do you literally just go and get one , ride it and return it then get back on ship or is there more to it?

Many thanks

I have not heard about this service but ask the port at cmport.com and they will answer.

Just got off the Emerald Princess yesterday and it was expensive to ride the taxi from the cruise port to the airport. I thought it would cost 250 DKK instead I ended up paying 378 DKK for a 35 to 40 minute ride. Ouch....

Should have taking the train then the metro to the aipport. It's 12 minutes walk to the train station which you can see the train from the upper deck from the cruise. How do I know that? We checked in early (11:30 AM) on May 23rd and walked to the Little Mermaid from the cruise because when we did the canal cruise we only saw the back of the Little Mermaid. The train station is on the right side after you exited the blue line through the little gate. It takes 40 minutes to walk to the Little Mermaid from the ship. Follow the rail track to exit to the gate is a bit faster then the blue line. Bus # 26 does not stop infront of the gate to the ship. It stopped about 2 blocks before the gate.

If you pay by Euro or USD, taxi driver will charge you another 25 DKK.

We walked off the ship @ 7:45 and most people have already left and there were no lines and was in the cab by 8:00 AM.

Edited by cruise_alot123

Just got off the Emerald Princess yesterday and it was expensive to ride the taxi from the cruise port to the airport. I thought it would cost 250 DKK instead I ended up paying 378 DKK for a 35 to 40 minute ride. Ouch....

How much is a 40 min ride in D.C.?

Europe is expensive especially for gas

We paid 400 DKK in 2010

It's 24 DKK for a 2 zone single ticket.

One additonal question. On our return we are staying in your beautiful city for an additonal day staying at the Hilton Airport Hotel (our flight leaves at 6 am the next morning). We are looking into getting the 24 hrs city pass. Since it only works to access zones 1,2,3 and 4 we were wondering if it would be enough to go from Freeport to the airport then come back to central station and go back to the hotel later in the day.

Thank you so much for all the assitance you provide on this and other threads!

We will be ending our cruise Aug. 14th and wanted to extend our stay in Copenhagen. The question is how long do we need? I have looked on the internet and just get confused. Is it two days, three days, or four to have an itinerary that would cover most things so there would be no regrets if we never returned? My husband is shooting for two of course. :confused:

We will be ending our cruise Aug. 14th and wanted to extend our stay in Copenhagen. The question is how long do we need? I have looked on the internet and just get confused. Is it two days, three days, or four to have an itinerary that would cover most things so there would be no regrets if we never returned? My husband is shooting for two of course. :confused:

We spent 1 1/2 day there pre-cruise and pretty much saw everything. The one hour canal cruise covers most of the highlights and the rest just DIY by foot. We walked 6 hours despited the rain and rain, and rain... when we were there on May 22nd. We put on the ponchos and pretty much walked every where and did the canal tour in the next moring before heading to the cruise port on May 23rd.

Should have taking the train then the metro to the aipport. It's 12 minutes walk to the train station which you can see the train from the upper deck from the cruise. How do I know that? We checked in early (11:30 AM) on May 23rd and walked to the Little Mermaid from the cruise because when we did the canal cruise we only saw the back of the Little Mermaid. The train station is on the right side after you exited the blue line through the little gate. It takes 40 minutes to walk to the Little Mermaid from the ship. Follow the rail track to exit to the gate is a bit faster then the blue line. Bus # 26 does not stop infront of the gate to the ship. It stopped about 2 blocks before the gate.

We walked off the ship @ 7:45 and most people have already left and there were no lines and was in the cab by 8:00 AM.

Which port were you docked at? We disembarked from Norwegian Star on June 2nd at 9am, and we ended up waiting in the taxi line for 2 hours before we were able to get a taxi. The taxi from freeport to airport was 495DKK in a minivan taxi. My parents were in a station wagon taxi that came out to about 400DKK. So the rate seems to be different depending on what size the taxi is.

The taxi lineup was due to the constructions around the port area, and taxis had a hard time getting into the port. According to the taxi driver, during the weekend, there was 6 cruise ships docked at the same time, and they didnt have any problem getting into port because there was no construction during the weekend. Had I known this information, I would have booked a cruise ship transfer to airport instead of standing in taxi line for 2 hours. We didnt consider the metro, because there was 15 adults + 1 baby, and we had a lot of extra luggages to carry.

Which port were you docked at? We disembarked from Norwegian Star on June 2nd at 9am, and we ended up waiting in the taxi line for 2 hours before we were able to get a taxi. The taxi from freeport to airport was 495DKK in a minivan taxi. My parents were in a station wagon taxi that came out to about 400DKK. So the rate seems to be different depending on what size the taxi is.

The taxi lineup was due to the constructions around the port area, and taxis had a hard time getting into the port. According to the taxi driver, during the weekend, there was 6 cruise ships docked at the same time, and they didnt have any problem getting into port because there was no construction during the weekend. Had I known this information, I would have booked a cruise ship transfer to airport instead of standing in taxi line for 2 hours. We didnt consider the metro, because there was 15 adults + 1 baby, and we had a lot of extra luggages to carry.

We docked right across from the NCL Star at the Freeport cruise port. When we got out there were nobody waiting for the taxi and most of the people were gone. There was only 1 taxi when we came out and did not have to wait for 1 minute. I did notice that when the taxi got on the highway toward the last 10 minutes to the airport, the meter jumps by the second from 200 DKK to 378 DKK in 10 minutes. The meter jumps slower while riding in the city.

Edited by cruise_alot123

One additonal question. On our return we are staying in your beautiful city for an additonal day staying at the Hilton Airport Hotel (our flight leaves at 6 am the next morning). We are looking into getting the 24 hrs city pass. Since it only works to access zones 1,2,3 and 4 we were wondering if it would be enough to go from Freeport to the airport then come back to central station and go back to the hotel later in the day.

Thank you so much for all the assitance you provide on this and other threads!

The airport is in zone 3 and the cruise port is in zone 1 or 2 so they are both covered by the city pass.

I would say that two full days are a minimum but im also biassed :D

A tip that is very usefull is to tell the driver to avoid the freeway because its a 5 kilometres detour.

We docked right across from the NCL Star at the Freeport cruise port. When we got out there were nobody waiting for the taxi and most of the people were gone. There was only 1 taxi when we came out and did not have to wait for 1 minute. I did notice that when the taxi got on the highway toward the last 10 minutes to the airport, the meter jumps by the second from 200 DKK to 378 DKK in 10 minutes. The meter jumps slower while riding in the city.

Looks like you made the right decision to leave early before 8am. The lineup for taxi from 9am on was insane.

Looks like you made the right decision to leave early before 8am. The lineup for taxi from 9am on was insane.

BTW, this is off topic, but we met someone from the Helsinki port who was supposed to be on the Emerald Princess, but missed the ship. Just curious if you know he ever made it back to the ship at the next port?

BTW, this is off topic, but we met someone from the Helsinki port who was supposed to be on the Emerald Princess, but missed the ship. Just curious if you know he ever made it back to the ship at the next port?

He never made it back because they kept paging him for 10 minutes and we saw a Princess agent stood outside with a copy of his passport waiting and waiting then the ship left. Not sure if he came back on the boat in the next port.

Edited by cruise_alot123

He never made it back because they kept paging him for 10 minutes and we saw a Princess agent stood outside with a copy of his passport waiting and waiting then the ship left. Not sure if he came back on the boat in the next port.

He came back in a police car around 4:30pm along with 2 people from the Norwegian Star. Apparently, he couldnt find his way back to the ship, and he joined these 2 other people that were lost, and asked the police for help. Unfortunately by the time they did make it back to the dock, the Princess has sailed. He even tried to ask if he could tag along on the NCL Star until next port, but they wouldn't let him on. Hopefully he made it back safely.

We had a car service meet us after our cruise on the Star. We got picked up at 8:15 and got to the airport around 9:00. The taxi line was already slow by the time we left. And we didn't feel like an early morning walk with luggage after a long cruise to the train station, especially not knowing the weather ahead of time. We had a 12:20 flight so we opted for the car service.

We had a nice day and a half in the city before our May 25 cruise. We stayed at the Hotel Anderson and it was a great location and great hotel. We really enjoyed the canal ride and lunch outside in Nyhaven. We walked a lot! Little Mermaid, Tivoli, changing of the guard, and the Stroget.

DV, thanks for all your help through the years. We visited Copenhagen in 2010 and are coming back for three days prior to our cruise on the Emerald on July 6th. We already have the Copenhagen Cards for pre-cruise, so we are set there. When we return on July 17, I could buy the over-priced Princess transfers, or use the Nordhavn train/Metro to the airport. We have an early flight to Paris, so I guess we won't have to go through the passport control stuff in Copenhagen. My question is, where do we buy tickets for this trip to the airport and how do we pay? We have US cards and Danish paper money left over from earlier. Do the machines take paper Danish bills or do I need coins? I think I saw each ticket is 36 DDK? (at the Nordhavn station) Thanks for your help! Martin

We had a car service meet us after our cruise on the Star. We got picked up at 8:15 and got to the airport around 9:00. The taxi line was already slow by the time we left. And we didn't feel like an early morning walk with luggage after a long cruise to the train station, especially not knowing the weather ahead of time. We had a 12:20 flight so we opted for the car service.

We have an early flight too. Which car service did you use?

I'll be landing at the Copenhagen airport on Jun 20 and wish to go directly to Malmo central station, which is close to the hotel where I'll be staying for a night. What is the best way to get to Malmo central station from CPH? Bus? Train? How much do each of these cost and where can I get tickets?

After a night's stay in Malmo, we'll be taking the train back out to Copenhagen and boarding the cruise whenever it opens. What is the best way via bus or train to get to the cruise terminal (I believe it's Freeport)? If we get back to Copenhagen before we can check in for the cruise, is there anywhere that will store our luggage for the time being?

What service did you use?:)