Concierge in the Neptune Lounge

angel4daffodil

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on tipping the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge. We normally tip our room steward as well as the dining staff but we are new to suite life and would appreciate some input from more experienced cruisers.

Thank you!

Like most tipping over and above, it is not expected nor required. That being said, yes we tip the concierge normally. How much depends upon what we ask of them and what they have done for us.

Most we have had have been wonderful and we happily tip:D

We always tip the concierge(s) in Neptune at the end of our cruise.

Assuming we have been happy with them and we just about always are, the amount we tip varies according to how much assistance we asked of him/her.

We have tipped them $0 to $100 at the end of the cruise depending on how well they did their job and how much we used them. One cruise, we never used the concierge service at all, and gave nothing additional. Another cruise, we used their services to the fullest extent and probably above and beyond what most people ask them to do and gave them $100 at the end of the cruise. Most of the time, we give them $20 at the end. We are not normally very needy.

Interesting,

I always assumed the concierge was an officer class employee and not part of the crew that shares tips.

Am I wrong?

We've had wonderful experiences with every concierge we've had on multiple HAL ships. If they're not officer class, i'd surely consider tipping appropriatly on our next cruise.

Interesting,

I always assumed the concierge was an officer class employee and not part of the crew that shares tips.

Am I wrong?

We've had wonderful experiences with every concierge we've had on multiple HAL ships. If they're not officer class, i'd surely consider tipping appropriatly on our next cruise.

They are part of the front desk staff - I've never seen an officer staffing it - but I could be wrong too;)

Interesting,

Am I wrong?

Concierges are Front Office Staff and they rotate.

They do some number of weeks working in Neptune Lounge and then either rotate back to Front Office and someone else comes to Neptune..... or they go home for their vacation.

The Conceriges are not Officers and they definitelly appreciate it when tipped. :)

They are part of the front desk staff - I've never seen an officer staffing it - but I could be wrong too;)

Concierges as Front Office Staff work under the direct supervision of Front Office Supervisor who works under the supervision of Guest Relations Manager who works under the supervision of Hotel Manager. :)

GRM is definitely an officer.

Concierges/front office staff are not.

No need to point out that Hotel Manager most assuredly is a four stripe Officer. :)

Interesting,

Am I wrong?

Funny that you think that way. The ship’s Maitre d’ has an officer’s rank, yet we tip him every cruise and I have never had one refuse the tip.

Does it really matter what class or rank they are? If they provide you with good personal service, is it not appropriate to give them a tip if you want to?

Most would not think it appropriate to tip Officers. I can't imagine 'tipping' the Captain. :) We've had conversations here before about tipping or not tipping the Dining Room Manager. His position is something different than Hotel Manager or Captain and as such, I would think there are some guests who wish to say thank you with a tip same as they might in a nice restaurant.

I did have the Maitre d' refuse a tip on Carnival. We had a great cruise with him and he had to accommodate 2 table changes for us. One table was right at the entrance and the other was a table of non-English speaking (or refusing to speak English) table mates. Maybe he shouldn't have put us there in the first place. I only tip them if they actually do something for us, not just coming by on the last day to see how we enjoyed our cruise.

We also tip the Neptune concierge depending on the level we use him/her and how well they follow through.

Funny thing - we had a real dud of a concierge on one cruise and did not tip him. A couple of years later we had him again (on a different ship). I thought "darn!" at first, but he did a great job this second time and we ended up giving him a nice tip. He must have been new and inexperienced the first time (of course they will never tell you that).

DaveOKC

I always appreciate the personalized service I receive from the Neptune Concierges, and tip $50-100 depending on how demanding I've been. I put the tip in one envelope for them both to share, because any request I make is responded to by their TEAM.

Occasionally I'll have a special request from the Pinnacle attendant in the Neptune, and I'll tip $10.

We tipped $50 for the 2 of themin neptune. Didn't need to do much for us (chase a late return from laundry) but they were always pleasant. We also tipped the manager in Pinnacle where we had breakfast most mornings, Don't tip the maitre de, unless he has done something for us, prefer to give extra to the waiters if they are ok.

Most would not think it appropriate to tip Officers. I can't imagine 'tipping' the Captain. :) We've had conversations here before about tipping or not tipping the Dining Room Manager. His position is something different than Hotel Manager or Captain and as such, I would think there are some guests who wish to say thank you with a tip same as they might in a nice restaurant.

Your point is well taken. I guess I just don't have enough room in my brain to store rank and position information for people who work on cruise ships. Its not important enough. ;)

So, I'll just offer a tip to anyone who goes above and beyond to provide good personal service.

We have tipped the Neptune Lounge concierges depending on how much we have used them during the cruise. When we have had a telephone conceirge we have had the same excellent service but haven't tipped because we weren't sure who they were. I feel a little guilty about that since they have been just as helpful and pleasant as those in the Neptune Lounge, in fact I suspect they sometimes work in the Neptune Lounge as past of their rotation. Has anyone tipped the telephone conceirges?

We have tipped the Neptune Lounge concierges depending on how much we have used them during the cruise. When we have had a telephone conceirge we have had the same excellent service but haven't tipped because we weren't sure who they were. I feel a little guilty about that since they have been just as helpful and pleasant as those in the Neptune Lounge, in fact I suspect they sometimes work in the Neptune Lounge as past of their rotation. Has anyone tipped the telephone conceirges?

From observations only in the Neptune Lounge - I think they may handle a fair number of those calls. I was amazed at the number of calls she got one time - so I asked:D

Now, that might have been just that ship - but if I wanted to tip in that category - I would either go to the Neptune Lounge or the front desk with an envelope clearly marked.

Just my opinion though:)

From observations only in the Neptune Lounge - I think they may handle a fair number of those calls. I was amazed at the number of calls she got one time - so I asked:D

Now, that might have been just that ship - but if I wanted to tip in that category - I would either go to the Neptune Lounge or the front desk with an envelope clearly marked.

Just my opinion though:)

People who have telephone concierge service are not using Neptune Lounge.

However, those who use Neptune Lounge and call during hours when Neptune is closed, are assisted by telephone concierges.

I have been 'behind the front office' and have seen the telephone stations where the front office people who are working telephone concierge service work.

As mentioned previously, Neptune Lounge concierges rotate from front office so it is likely at times they are telephone concierge as well as sometimes being Neptune Lounge concierge.

People who have telephone concierge service are not using Neptune Lounge.

However, those who use Neptune Lounge and call during hours when Neptune is closed, are assisted by telephone concierges.

I have been 'behind the front office' and have seen the telephone stations where the front office people who are working telephone concierge service work.

As mentioned previously, Neptune Lounge concierges rotate from front office so it is likely at times they are telephone concierge as well as sometimes being Neptune Lounge concierge.

thanks - I was just reporting what I was told. and with all due respect Judy, I know you have cruised a lot more than I and have a lot more contacts than I - but I was reporting what I was told on that particular ship. You have't been on every ship in the fleet (nearly, but not all) - I'm not trying to give incorrect info - I'm just reporting what a concierge told me.

In any case - no biggie - back to the OP's question - what would you recommend for tipping - front desk envelope clearly marked?

Archived