Cruise or Land Tour?

Luna'sMom

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, but I am hoping my CC pals will help me out.

Myself, my DH and my 82 year young mother are planning a trip to Italy next April, 2014.

We are very frequent cruisers but have never been to Italy. We want to see Rome, Venice, Florence and the Amalfi coast if possible.

My questions are, do we want to cruise, and if so, what cruise line will take us to all of these places. Or, do we want a land tour? It seems to me that a cruise would be much more expense when you add in all of the shore excursions. Also, any recommendations for a tour company would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

We cruised Italy with my 74 year young Mother and will cruise with her again in Italy this fall. She enjoyed using the ship as hotel, transportation, dining and entertainment base. She unpacked once, rested and ate while the ship took her to the next destination, and enjoyed the down time of a sea day.

I have land toured in Europe several times, but cruising has become my favorite mode of travel. Do your research on these boards and avoid the ships excursions - they are expensive and will not give you the flexibility a private tour company can give. Be sure to join your roll call to find others to share in the expense of these smaller, more flexible tours. A group of 6 or 10 is better than a bus of 50 any day;)

Enjoy your cruise and remember: the key is to do your research.

We cruised Italy with my 74 year young Mother and will cruise with her again in Italy this fall. She enjoyed using the ship as hotel, transportation, dining and entertainment base. She unpacked once, rested and ate while the ship took her to the next destination, and enjoyed the down time of a sea day.

I have land toured in Europe several times, but cruising has become my favorite mode of travel. Do your research on these boards and avoid the ships excursions - they are expensive and will not give you the flexibility a private tour company can give. Be sure to join your roll call to find others to share in the expense of these smaller, more flexible tours. A group of 6 or 10 is better than a bus of 50 any day;)

Enjoy your cruise and remember: the key is to do your research.

I totally agree with dalgirl (except land trips are my preferred mode of travel due to the ability for me to explore with extended stays in Italy). However, for all the reasons mentioned above, I also think the cruise would be the more enjoyable option for your mom.

Absolutely agree with avoiding ship excursions! Join your roll call.

jill

All of these places, with the possible exception of Livorno (for Florence) can be visited in a single regular itinerary offered by Princess, Celebrity, & possibly others.

Typically from Venice to ports in Croatia, Greece, possibly Turkey, Naples (for Amalfi) & Rome. Add a few days at start & finish ports for the best of both worlds. IMHO Naples is also worth a few days, one disadvantage of visiting by cruise ship. But you could return to Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi from Rome after the cruise & fly home from there.

And add my opinion on ships' excursions to those you already have.

JB :)

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this question' date=' but I am hoping my CC pals will help me out. Myself, my DH and my 82 year young mother are planning a trip to Italy next April, 2014. We are very frequent cruisers but have never been to Italy. We want to see Rome, Venice, Florence and the Amalfi coast if possible. My questions are, do we want to cruise, and if so, what cruise line will take us to all of these places. Or, do we want a land tour? It seems to me that a cruise would be much more expense when you add in all of the shore excursions. Also, any recommendations for a tour company would be appreciated. Thank you all![/quote']

We have done BOTH ship and land tours in and around Italy and the Med. There are pro/con factors with either option. Since this is your first trip to Italy, a cruise might be a good introductory way to see and sample the many options in this area. You can see from my live/blog below lots that we did in June 2011. The big plus with a cruise is that you get on the ship once, unpack, relax and let somebody else worry about the "driving" and logistics. While you are moving from location to the next port, you are able to eat, sleep, relax.

By land, there are the challenges with lots of busy travel, getting luggage off, unpacking, packing back up, getting on the bus, etc., etc.

Lots of cruise ship options!! Do you want the smaller ship, more luxury style of cruising at a high price? Celebrity has some nice options operating out of Barcelona, a super charming and historic city that is very enjoyable to see and do. Below are some added notes, pictures to give you ideas on many options. Yes, the shore excursions might add to the cost. BUT, part of the objective is to see so much that is super wonderful there. Time efficiency is important and in many ways a smaller group private tour, especially for Florence, Rome and the Naples/Amalfi area can be so vital.

Reactions and added questions?

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 17,060 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,253 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-in and/or sail-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum in Venice, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting. Lots of such great views can be experienced all over this historic city.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace to board our shuttle back to the ship.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peter’s and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting on June 10, 2011, during our visit and doing the Scavi tour under the Vatican in Rome. This dramatic Cathedral is the world's largest!:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

As we walked from St. Peter’s, we crossed the Tiberi River and saw this view of Castel Sant’Angelo. This castle has great history, starting as a mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian in 139 AD. It later provided security for Popes in times of attack.:

RomeTiberRiverBridgeCastle.jpg

Inside the Pantheon in Rome, this photo with my 10-20mm wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

Generally I would recommend a land tour (or even doing it on your own) for someone who really wants to see just one country. You get to spend evenings in Italy, which is a time when locals are often out and talking a pre- or post-dinner stroll. Plus (with the exception of Rome), many of these areas are completely different once the "day visitors" have packed up and gone back to the ships.

The wild card is your mother. A cruise may be easier for her than a tour. If you think that may be the case, then I would heartily endorse what JB has said above -- look for a cruise that starts in Rome and ends in Venice (or vice versa) and spend a few extra days at each end. You'll be glad you did.

If you opt for a cruise, April is a fine time, but your options are going to be a bit more limited as some ships will just be arriving for the Med season in mid- to late-April. Looking at what is offered this year, Holland America has a cruise that would hit all four ports and several other lines (NCL, Carnival, Celebrity) would visit 3 out of the 4.

Shoulder times are our favorite times to cruise in Europe - May or Sept/Oct have wonderful weather, fewer crowds, and are generally less expensive. A Venice to Rome (or vice versa) would be wonderful if Italy is your only interest. If you have the time, a 2 week cruise Barcelona to Venice (either way) as a "Grand Mediteranean Cruise" would be a really wonderful trip. Several cruiselines have these itineraries year round.

Organized land tours usually involve frequent city/hotel hopping and packing/unpacking. Luggage has to be outside the door at an early hour when changing hotels. The bus rides could be used for napping which would be a plus for some. There may be some time on your own depending on the company you book with.

We've really enjoyed seeing areas of Europe via cruiseship (in combination with a DIY land tour). Sea days are great for relaxing after port days, so consider that in your cruise itinerary.

Although others have recommended private tours arranged with roll call members, I'd caution that the itineraries may be too strenuous for an 82 year old. You could arrange your own at a level that you know your mother would manage & then find others to join in. Also you could look for cruise tours of a shorter length and designated at an activity level of mild.

Archived