What's your favourite cruise port?

wales4ever

What is the best cruise port you have visited, for the sheer spectacle of it? New York? Sydney?

Not been to either of them unfortunately - not yet anyway...

So for me, sailing in and out of Venice along the canal on a high open deck looking out onto Venice. Also Kotor, Montenegro, saling in past the mountains.

Europe: Kotor, Montenegro (worth getting up before dawn to experience)

USA: New York, NY (hello, Lady Liberty!)

Caribbean: Dominica (lovely mists and mountains)

One of these days I'd like to cruise to South America. I wonder which port is the most spectacular there.

Hands down, Istanbul. A magnificent city, amazing history, lovely and hospitible people and, yes, a great view of the Golden Horn at sail away.

If it is your first experience visiting a primarily Islamic country, you certainly know you're somewhere outside the "western world" when you hear the calls to prayer from the mosques as you move about the city.

Hong Kong....especially at night.

San Francisco...going under the Golden Gate.

Heading into Stockholm.

Of course, every new port is a new discovery of wonderment !!:D

Enjoy Traveling (wherever you go)!

Woody

Sydney was magnificient. And San Francisco as well. I live close to S.F. and it never fails to get that thrill of excitement, even when we drive into the city. Beautiful skyline.

Supported, Sydney Harbour, great, but then I am biased. Glad you enjoyed Sydney.

Yes SF is great also, had a week there last May, did a harbour cruise, lovely.

But so many great harbours in the World, yes the sailaway from Venice, wonderful. 'Time to say goodbye' playing over the ship's p.a. and all.

Istanbul is amazing. But sailing into New York was so memorable. We did it when Celebrity was still docking in Manhattan in the fall of 2004 following a transatlantic....

Joe

We have obviously chosen our first 3 cruises well as we have visited a few of your most popular choices! :)

Istanbul was truly magical as was sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge last year.

And this year we have Venice and Kotor to look forward to.

Venice,Malta and Gibralter for Europe

Quebec and Vancouver - for the US

StThomas for the Caribbean

Sydney- for home- I am baised but it IS magnificent

And my absolute favourite- Halong Bay in Vietnam- magic

=Jennie

Just an FYI, both Quebec and Vancouver are in Canada not the US!

How to decide? Venice, Santorini in Europe for sure! Over here, I would have to pick Dominica and St Thomas at night. But I might have a new favorite after my next cruises, who knows!

Snow bunny

So many to choose from. Currently top of mind is Bruges... okay, technically Zeebrugge is the port.

But I would not want to visit Bruges on a cruise -- not enough time, could spend days there, and Bruges is (IMHO) best experienced in the evening and early morning.

For the sailaway or sail-into:

Europe - Venice - We sailed in on the Soltice and having them play Andrea Boccelli was magnificent. On the way out we were watching the Hot Glass group do their thing after we had just visited Murano.

Europe - a close second - Kotor, Montenegro. What magnificent fjords. Got up before the crack of dawn to sit out on the balcony. Saw WWII submarine bunkers.

USA - Good old NYC - nothing beats my home town Lady Liberty and sailing under the Verrazzano Bridge. The embarkation itself - not so much. Worst ever!!! Just a madhouse.

USA - a close second - Tampa. Really enjoyed the long cruise out to the ocean and the bridges.

USA - a close third - San Diego. Was exciting floating past the aircraft carriers!!

Caribbean - no port warms my heart as much as Aruba. Not a particularly exciting sail into port - I just know I am coming to my home away from home.

Just looked up Sanibel island... So pretty.

Where do you stay when on the island?

Thanks for the tip

Joanne

We live off island about 15-20 minutes away; hence, we do day trips. It is the shelling capital of the western hemisphere. There are a plethora of beachfront condos for rent. As a matter of fact, Captiva is even prettier. Both areas are very high dollar vis-a-vis cost of housing.

Archived