What's your favourite cruise port?

wales4ever

Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa in Ft. Meyers just before the bridge to Sanibel Island is very nice.

My youngest daughter and one grandaughter just spent a few days there. However, we still had to traverse the causeway to visit the beaches. Although not on a beach, this resort is one of the top hotels in SWFL.

Here are my ports for different reasons:-

Santorini to sail into at dawn with the sun breaking over the mountains and no one on deck, just magical. Again leaving Santorini and watching the white houses disappear with the wake behind you (I have that photo on my desk at work).

Villefranche is just so, so pretty.

Venice was amazing to sail out of, breathtaking.

Looking forward to sailing into/out of Caribbean ports in about 7 weeks time on Equinox.

Joanne, it just occurred to me that there is a Holiday Inn right on the beach which might be more efficacious for those who are only going to be staying for a few days. As a matter of fact, if my memory is still intact, they have a nice open bar and eatery area, plus a restaurant. At one time they had a gator pond, but I am not certain if it is still extant.

Barcelona was my favourite port and city; so much to see and enjoy, but since my last cruise Singapore has taken over as my number one. What a fantastic place and beautiful nightime skyline.

Sailing out of Cochin, India was pretty spectacular. What appeared to be the whole of the city came to wave us off - it was Celebrity S class's first visit there and someone onboard told us that their tour guide told them that Cochin local newspapers had reported that a massive cruise ship, full of 'celebrities' and Bollywood stars was visiting LOL! :D

Hands down, Istanbul. A magnificent city, amazing history, lovely and hospitible people and, yes, a great view of the Golden Horn at sail away.

If it is your first experience visiting a primarily Islamic country, you certainly know you're somewhere outside the "western world" when you hear the calls to prayer from the mosques as you move about the city.

Istanbul is the highlight of our cruise, this october, do you have any special recommendations of things to do there?

We stopped in Antwerp, Belgium on our first X cruise on the Century, a few years back. Such a quaint city! Great food and beer. I will always remember that lunch we had on a lovely terrasse on Grote Market Square.

I don't see Antwerp on any itinerary anymore. I wonder why...

In the Caribbean, I have a soft spot for Cozumel. I know it's extremely touristy, but the people there are always so nice in a non-pushy way. Excellent snorkling too.

We are from Antwerp. Not very often we get a big cruiseship in port. A pity since the ships would dock directly near the old town with absolutely no need for any transportation. It s like entering a big medieval town.

And we, Belgians know a bit about great beers and food :-)

Ah well, maybe Antwerp gets picked up again one day as a European cruise port for the big lines.

Sven

Have to agree with UpCountryTraveler, Vancouver is not just spectacular to sail in and out of, for it's combined human and natural beauty; it is the visited city I would most like to live in. And it is gateway to Alaska, God's own country!

Another Canadian gem was St Johns, Newfoundland, with it's spectacular inlet and those ragged coasts. I envy my Canadian neighbors their wonderful, natural beauty. O Canada.

Doug

Istanbul is the highlight of our cruise, this october, do you have any special recommendations of things to do there?

The Hagia Sofia is not to be missed, nor the Blue Mosque. The Spice Market is also great fun, and not too far from the cruise ship pier - wait until you see the "Turkish ******". A cruise up the Bosphorous is also a special experience. Topkapi Palace is also wonderful. Just seeing the immense wealth that once existed there is astonishing. But Topkapi is a day trip of its own.

We were there four days, so depending on your time in port, I've tried to list my favorite places in order of "specialness" to me. There are other places as well. Pretty parks, the Grand Market, oh, I could go on and on.

If you go into the Blue Mosque, take shoes east to remove, and women must wear a head cover. Take time to enjoy a Turkish meal at a good restaurant. It is truly wonderful food. And, yes those pastries in the windows of the bakeries are as good as they look!

Oh, and take some toilet tissue in your purse. There is none in many of the bathrooms.

Go with an open mind and a friendly face, and you may be lucky enough to get to visit with some locals. The Turkish people like Americans, as a rule, and they are wonderful, hospitible people.

Whatever you choose, Istanbul is a heady experience. Enjoy you time, then begin planning your next trip back.

Have fun.

Kay

Not really a "port" but one of my favorite experiences on a cruise ship was doing the full transit of the Panama Canal. Not so much the beauty but the simply amazing feat of building this place. We went through the pacific locks side by side with a freighter and we lucked out and were on the right side to

sit on our balcony and watch everything. Simply amazing.

Looking forward to seeing many of the ports that were mentioned as we sail on the Equinox in the Mediterranean this summer.

Bar Harbor, Maine and Skagway, Alaska. Nice areas without being too commercialized. They aren't overrun with all of the cookie cutter duty free shops. They are safe areas and there are many tours available without going thru the cruise line. You can also just stroll around and enjoy undisturbed nature.

Not really a "port" but one of my favorite experiences on a cruise ship was doing the full transit of the Panama Canal. Not so much the beauty but the simply amazing feat of building this place. We went through the pacific locks side by side with a freighter and we lucked out and were on the right side to

sit on our balcony and watch everything. Simply amazing.

Looking forward to seeing many of the ports that were mentioned as we sail on the Equinox in the Mediterranean this summer.

And on that note, sailing through the Straits of Gibralta. Made me weepy viewing Spain on one side of the ship and Africa on the other. All the while being escourted by dolphins. Heavy sigh.

New York is my favorite! However, I prefer Manhattan to Brooklyn. There's something very special about sailing past the Manhattan skyline, then the Statue of Liberty, and finally under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. Love it! :)

Paula

I was sailing solo on my only sail away from Manhattan. It was a wonderful experience. Can't wait to do it again with my DH.

Our next "special" departure is from San Francisco.

B

Archived