Choice Air

crusinpeg

We used CA twice for one way flights to Europe at substantial savings and good results. The first trip went off without a hitch. The second one had several changes. We booked a flight to Barcelona ( BCN) last fall. Once we made the reservation, on Delta, we had a Delta booking number and went through their website to make seat assignments and change to Economy Plus for the long TA flight. We had been warned on our roll call that Delta is known for changing flight schedules so I kept checking Delta's website. There were various little time changes. Sometimes I got e-mails and sometimes not. It got us into BCN a little later but with still enough time to do something that day.

Then there was a big change. Instead of transferring in the U.S. with a direct flight to BCN Delta changed us to transferring in Paris. In less than an hour we were to go through customs and get to the next flight and we were going to arrive in the afternoon, thus losing most of that day in BCN. I did some research on other Delta flight possibilities and called Choice Air. The representative was nice and efficient. She took the information and said she would have someone from the CA Exemptions Dept. call me. She also gave me her name and direct phone number in case there was any problem. After about two weeks I hadn't heard back from the Exemptions Dept. so called the rep. (We were months away from flying.) I soon received a call and an apology from someone in the CA Ex. Dept. They changed our flights for free to fly a day earlier through JFK. Delta made some more minor time changes and on one of those the CA rep called us to make sure we had gotten notification of the change.

Fast forward to less than a week before the flights. We kept hearing about this tropical storm which then became a hurricane - named Sandy. It kept growing and was scheduled to hit the southeast the day before we flew and move up the east coast. I kept checking the weather and Delta's website for possible alternate flights. As soon as Delta allowed free changes to east coast flights I called and had some possible flights ready to request to be changed to. We ended up leaving another day earlier giving us even more time in BCN. We had to change in the Atlanta to Lufthansa and again in Amsterdam with only a 50 minute layover. They held the plane for us and some other passengers with short transfer times.

We were pleased with the service CA gave us, even with the little glitch of needing to make a follow up phone call. Make sure you check ahead of time to see what your options are in case you miss a flight or need to change for other reasons. I did the research for flight alternatives and it really paid off.

But Choice Air tickets are not consolitator type tickets...

Most of the cheapest ones ARE.

But for the record, not every unpublished fare is a consolidator fare; military discounts, corporate discounts, and other specially negotiated fares - such as cruise and package fares - are also considered "unpublished" and are almost never consolidator fares.

True, not every unpublished fare is a consolidator fare, but many of the cheapest tickets sold through Choice Air are. They don't call them that; they use different terminology, but the rules and restrictions make them virtually the same.

I just want to clear up one thing: Choice Air does NOT use Consolidator tickets. Their tickets can also (as much as others) be rerouted, etc, if need be.

Here's my experience on my recent cruise. I booked ChoiceAir as I always do for international cruises. Why? It was about $2,000 less overall. My flight was cancelled. Mechanical issues. Did I go up to the desk? No. I got on my cell and called Choice Air. They called the airlines and had me on another flight within minutes in time to make my cruise.

I also flew with them a few years ago and a whole mess of flights were delayed due to weather. They could not get me out on another flight in time to meet the ship. So instead they put me in a hotel and flew me to the next port. To be fair, this did take me reminding them (a bit forcefully) of their own policy, but they got it done.

I just want to clear up one thing: Choice Air does NOT use Consolidator tickets. Their tickets can also (as much as others) be rerouted, etc, if need be.

Here's my experience on my recent cruise. I booked ChoiceAir as I always do for international cruises. Why? It was about $2,000 less overall. My flight was cancelled. Mechanical issues. Did I go up to the desk? No. I got on my cell and called Choice Air. They called the airlines and had me on another flight within minutes in time to make my cruise.

I also flew with them a few years ago and a whole mess of flights were delayed due to weather. They could not get me out on another flight in time to meet the ship. So instead they put me in a hotel and flew me to the next port. To be fair, this did take me reminding them (a bit forcefully) of their own policy, but they got it done.

Thanks for this info. I think this is an important point that when something goes wrong with a Choice Air flight, we don't have to deal directly with the airline, we deal with Choice Air, and they deal with the airline.

I have had only one experience with choiceair and it worked out only because I was the diligent one. Like a former poster, I had to deal with Sandy. Our connecting flight gave us only a 45 min. window and we were to leave the day before the storm hit the DC area for Rome. Choice air wouldn't help me change my early flight even though there were seats available because the time of my flight was still not changed. The only way I got a last minute change was to call United directly and after about 3 hours of hold, I found an agent who had heard that, yes there was a hurricane coming and yes, they would change the flight. If I had not done that, we would have had at least 2 days shaved off of our time in Rome.

So, I would use choice air only if there was more than $100 pp. difference. Much better to eliminate a noneffective middle man.

Not always, but keep believing it if you like.

And I, and others who post the potential downsides of Choice Air, never say that you will NEVER get help in these situations. Rather, we advise that lack of help is a possibility. There are cases when people have NOT gotten the help you got, so it CAN happen. People simply need to be aware of that possibility.

Thanks for this info. I think this is an important point that when something goes wrong with a Choice Air flight, we don't have to deal directly with the airline, we deal with Choice Air, and they deal with the airline.

Again, there have been stories of people receiving no help from Choice Air, and instead being told by Choice Air, "Talk to the airline." Doesn't mean it always happens, nor does it mean it never happens. Buyer beware.

Again, there have been stories of people receiving no help from Choice Air, and instead being told by Choice Air, "Talk to the airline." Doesn't mean it always happens, nor does it mean it never happens. Buyer beware.

Very good advice for all transactions, including dealing direct with airlines.

Deciding if the is in my best interest for an international flight....anyone had any experience good or bad?

I saw no difference in price when looking at Round Trips. However, for our Transatlantic, the difference in one way fare was incredible. I was able to get a one way fare for under $600 returning from Barcelona, non-stop to Atlanta. I would never book a one-way flight to/From Europe without using Choice air

I saw no difference in price when looking at Round Trips. However, for our Transatlantic, the difference in one way fare was incredible. I was able to get a one way fare for under $600 returning from Barcelona, non-stop to Atlanta. I would never book a one-way flight to/From Europe without using Choice air

I booked an one way to Barcelona from Toronto using Choice Air and the savings were astounding. I also chose Flex fare which means that I do not have to pay until the cruise final payment. I got the flights for $453.83 per person. I then went on the British Airways website and priced out a one way on the exact same flight I am taking. The cost was $1449.00 per person. Since we are going to Barcelona 2 days early I would expect that any issues/delays could be resolved before we miss any days on our T/A.

For those of you who fly Delta, be aware that they have added a new fare code to cover such things as Cruise Air. Folks, it's at the bottom of the heap. If your fare code is listed as "E" read the contract of carriage or the airline restrictions associated with the code.

I don't know about other airlines but it's worth checking out.

Grandgeezer, if you're still around...I hope you know your way around Heathrow. Your connection time 1:15) may not be your best move!

For those of you who fly Delta, be aware that they have added a new fare code to cover such things as Cruise Air. Folks, it's at the bottom of the heap. If your fare code is listed as "E" read the contract of carriage or the airline restrictions associated with the code.

Grandgeezer, if you're still around...I hope you know your way around Heathrow. Your connection time 1:15) may not be your best move!

Where do you see the fare code?

We had a choice of a 1 hr 5 min layover in LHR or a 2hr 55 min layover. I chose the longer layover as I was worried that the shorter one could cause me some grief. Do you have to go through customs in LHR or are we considered in transit.

FCO-LHR-PHX on a BA-BA connection is all within Terminal 5, so 75 minutes should be fine.

As a regular at LHR, I would be slightly nervous about a 75 minute connection. For one, many flights end up in a hold pattern when LHR gets really busy, which is often in the morning between, say, 7am and 10:30am or so. Not sure if it's just my bad luck, but it does seem to happen more often to me when I am on smaller planes (i.e. from within Europe) versus the bigger planes (i.e. from US, India, etc). Maybe they put a priority on the larger planes? Not sure.

LHR transit security can be a zoo at times. Also, there may be a need for concourse change which, while short, can easily add up to 10 minutes with walking and waiting.

In a perfect world, 75 minutes is fine. As a regular LHR transit passenger (and O&D passenger), I am familiar with LHR being an imperfect world.

We had a choice of a 1 hr 5 min layover in LHR or a 2hr 55 min layover. I chose the longer layover as I was worried that the shorter one could cause me some grief. Do you have to go through customs in LHR or are we considered in transit.

You will not be going through immigration nor customs, but you will be subject to (a) a short passport check, to make sure you have proper documents to go to your destination, and (b) a security screening. Depending on your airline(s), you may have to make a terminal or concourse change, which can add significant time.

Where do you see the fare code?

You may be able to see the T, E, Q, O, H, etc. etc. LETTER of the fare code on Choice Air BUT you cannot generally see the REST of the code which contains the RULES governing your SPECIFIC ticket.

In addition, if you have two or more airlines (including the commuter/feeder airlines used by USA airlines), you may have a mish mash of fare codes and rules. And in all things airline, the most strict rules apply to the entire trip.

You may be able to see the T, E, Q, O, H, etc. etc. LETTER of the fare code on Choice Air BUT you cannot generally see the REST of the code which contains the RULES governing your SPECIFIC ticket.

In addition, if you have two or more airlines (including the commuter/feeder airlines used by USA airlines), you may have a mish mash of fare codes and rules. And in all things airline, the most strict rules apply to the entire trip.

We're booked on Delta this fall, STL->BCN. I see our reservation on Delta's website, but no codes at all. Is this something I have to call Delta and request?

We're booked on Delta this fall, STL->BCN. I see our reservation on Delta's website, but no codes at all. Is this something I have to call Delta and request?

The actual letter fare code does you very little good. You need ALL the numbers and letters which designate the rules.

And calling Delta will not give you much because 95% of the Choice Air tickets have SPECIALLY NEGOTIATED RULES (just like their SPECIALLY NEGOTIATED FARES) which are whatever Choice Air and the airline agree to well over a year BEFORE your flight. The contract negotiations start about 18 months pre flight. And the SPECIALLY NEGOTIATED RULES can be very extensive and VERY different from flight to flight.

Does a Delta agent at the counter have access to the ENTIRE fare rules governing your ticket? Yes, generally. Does the Delta agent on the phone at a call center someplace in the world have access to the ENTIRE fare rules governing your ticket? Very doubtful. And they sure aren't going to read 2-10 pages of rules to you over the phone. And since the rules are SPECIALLY NEGOTIATED, they are generally NOT available on a public website other than possibly Choice Air.

I just did a couple of dummy bookings on Choice Air-one strictly domestic for a San Diego to FLL Panama Canal cruise and one for an international TA from JFK to FCO. The fare rules were mostly available on the domestic trip-click on baggage. The fare rules were VERY scant on the TA. And the conflicts between two tickets, both on Delta, were astounding. The domestic ticket allowed two transfers and NO reroute. And NO endorsement. So you are essentially STUCK on the same airline on the same route WHEN there are seats available.

The international ticket allowed one transfer and a reroute. It also had an endorsement provision. BUT the endorsement provision included a $150 change fee AND uprated air fare. What that means-since the endorsement would only be needed on the day of travel, you would pay the $150 change fee AND the difference between what you paid and a last minute one way walk up ticket.

So in essence, your $500 one way Choice Air TA flight with endorsement would cost $150 + at least another $1000, as that would be the bare minimum a last minute walk up fare would cost less the $500 for your original Choice Air ticket.

Would travel insurance cover the extra money? MAYBE and that is a real big maybe. Since a lot of travel insurance policies REQUIRE trip interruption of at least 5 or 6 hours and you are traveling the day of your cruise, there would most likely not be any coverage. Even if you were traveling a day early, you would have to wait the 5-6 hours, THEN try to rebook your ticket.

Lots of "gotcha's" with SPECIALLY NEGOTIATED FARES.

Choice Air as a general rule will direct you to deal with the airline FIRST. Then, if you get no where, they will instruct you to call them. This very direction is even in their marketing info.

I booked an one way to Barcelona from Toronto using Choice Air and the savings were astounding. I also chose Flex fare which means that I do not have to pay until the cruise final payment. I got the flights for $453.83 per person. I then went on the British Airways website and priced out a one way on the exact same flight I am taking. The cost was $1449.00 per person. Since we are going to Barcelona 2 days early I would expect that any issues/delays could be resolved before we miss any days on our T/A.

Both of you think you are getting a bargain. But what you are REALLY getting is 1/2 of a RT ticket booked AND PAID for by the cruise line well over a year pre flight. And those tickets still come with some HEAVY restrictions.

There are a few airlines that sell TRUE one way tickets to Europe at very, very reasonable prices (generally VERY close to Choice Air prices) and usually offer a bonus of a little extra vacation if you have the time and inclination. AND the real biggie-they are PUBLISHED fare tickets with all the perks and benefits.

Aer Lingus allows stopovers in Ireland up to two weeks free of any airline upcharges. AND if you fly Ireland to the USA, you clear immigration and most of the time Customs in Ireland. So when you arrive USA, NO standing in long lines to either go home or on to your next flight. Just grab your luggage and go.

Icelandair and LOT (Polish airline) offer the same thing in Iceland and Poland. Air India flies daily from JFK to LHR for very cheap prices (I have seen $259 one way recently and I have employees booked at $358 for the 1st of March).

AND a couple of Middle Eastern airlines have what they call "fifth freedom" rights so they can sell tickets from JFK to various places in Europe and not conflict with other rules.

Kuwait airlines VERY often has FIRST CLASS on a one way basis for $1000 from JFK to London. Granted, Kuwait Airlines is NOT BA, Cathay, Singapore or Qantas. But they do have new seats (lie flats) and their food is pretty good and they just redid their IFE. No booze, though.

Etihad is evidently going to reopen their flights from ORD and JFK to Europe with continuation on to the Middle East. They used to fly USA-Dusseldorf and the one way first class tickets were about $1700 (quite a saving over other one way first class tickets). One way business class tickets were about $1200. And Etihad is one of the very, very upscale first class experiences in the world. Completely closed off suites in first class and semi closed off suites in business. Just about as luxurious as Emirates 380 suites.

Please be aware of what you are buying. There is rarely a time when a Choice Air ticket cannot be matched very closely in price with a published fare, full benefit ticket. May have an extra stop but those extra stops in small airports (Dublin, Reykajavik, Warsaw) are generally very pleasant experiences.

...There is rarely a time when a Choice Air ticket cannot be matched very closely in price with a published fare, full benefit ticket. May have an extra stop but those extra stops in small airports (Dublin, Reykajavik, Warsaw) are generally very pleasant experiences.

What website(s) would you suggest to see these published, full benefit fares?

What website(s) would you suggest to see these published, full benefit fares?

Try the airlines themselves. All named in Greatam's post.

There is this urban legend kind of thinking that there is some mystical website where the "cheap flights" can be found. Think of this....why should it be cheaper to buy through a middleman than direct? Especially when the airlines are trying to drive traffic to their own booking facility?

Those cheaper tickets AREN'T the same as what you get from the airline directly.

Try the airlines themselves. All named in Greatam's post.

There is this urban legend kind of thinking that there is some mystical website where the "cheap flights" can be found. Think of this....why should it be cheaper to buy through a middleman than direct? Especially when the airlines are trying to drive traffic to their own booking facility?

Those cheaper tickets AREN'T the same as what you get from the airline directly.

I tried IcelandAir, and they will get me from BOS to BCN for $724. Unfortunately, they will only do this on Friday, so I have to stay in BCN 2 extra days, so that will add a bit. I also have to get from STL to BOS will will add a bit more.

I could not find a flight on Aer Lingus to BCN, so maybe that would work, but I may have to transfer to another airline to get to BCN.

Tried LOT and got $2700 from ORD.

I'd really like to consider reasonable alternatives (that's not a middle eastern airline) to Choice Air. I need to go from STL to BCN, leaving Oct 27.

Archived