Last cruise for us?

cruzincat50

This is not really a review, but a story of our experience on the Jan 2 cruise of the Golden Princess. We actually are unable to give a good or a bad review of the ship as you will see:

This was going to be our best cruise ever! A 14 day cruise to Hawaii from LA. All we had to do was get to LA in time to get on the ship, so we left the day before. We made it, but now I wish we hadn't.

Left port on Wednesday, and first port day in HI was Monday. Saturday morning I awoke with a drip in the back of my throat and a ticklish cough. It was then that my wife informed me that the woman sitting behind me during the leg from DFW to LAX was coughing all the way. I never heard it, since I was using my noise cancelling headphones.

So, I figured a cold wasn't going to set me back from having a good time. I have had them before. Monday morning arrived and I wasn't getting any better, but we had purchased an excursion that included a Helo ride over the Volcano on the Big Island. I suffered through it, but it was nice. The next day was Oahu. After breakfast on the ship we returned to our cabin where the wife promptly gave up her breakfast. So much for seeing the Arizona Memorial! I managed to get into Honolulu to pick up some needed cold related stuff like Kleenex that didn't fall apart when you try to use it, like the stuff Princess supplies. I also needed to get some Nyquil. All they had in the on board store was the capsules. I needed the coating action the syrup provides. We decided we had better go to the Medical Center on board to get checked out. It didn't open until 4PM at that point. There goes that day.

At the Medical center they tested us for the flu and it showed we had H1N1. We had both had our flu shots in the fall. It didn't help. They gave us Tamiflu and some form of acetaminophen and flagged us to be isolated in our cabin until our fevers were back to normal. I guess once that happens we were no longer a threat to anyone else. They told us the next evening someone would come around to take our temps. The next day was Kauai, which looked pretty nice from our balcony, which was as close to it we would ever get. They never did come by to get our temps, so the next day (Maui) we waited until they opened at 8AM and went down to the Med center. We were released from isolation, and went ashore to get more supplies and a few trinkets from our "memorable cruise". We did get to sample a Hawaiian shaved Ice, which really tasted good and soothed our throats.

So much for seeing Hawaii! I have to say I did not hold Princess in any way responsible for our bad luck, but some things unrelated to our illness made it more difficult to enjoy this cruise, and probably would have been more of an issue otherwise, had we not been so sick. First, our AC in the cabin was totally inadequate. As evidence of this, we had fevers which usually result in chills. We never felt any chill! In fact we were uncomfortably warm most of the time.

Second, this was the first cruise we have been on where they had alternative dining. By that I mean upscale dining where you pay a little extra to go to a restaurant separate from the dining room. After having been on about 7 previous cruises that did not have this option, I feel that alternative dining is a way for the cruiselines to cut costs on the dining, and still have the truly upscale dining experience, as long as the passenger is willing to pay more for it. The quality of the food was not as good as we have previously experienced on Carnival cruises without upscale dining. Also, because some friends were also on this cruise, we opted to change to the anytime dining option, as opposed to scheduled dining times like we had always done in the past. We found that we missed the interaction we had in the past by having the same waitstaff at each meal. I don't know if that also had any effect on the quality of the food.

On the return to LA we had a severe head wind which made the passing a little rough. We were in a cabin the farthest forward possible on the highest deck possible (Golden Princess L202). Whenever the bow crashed into a wave, the balcony door, which had no latching mechanism, cracked open a small amount and the wind loudly whistled through the crack. This went on for about two and a half days. Not that we could get much sleep anyway what with all the coughing we were both doing!

Kudos to Princess, though, for reimbursing us for the excursions we were unable to go on. They even reimbursed us for the excursions on Oahu that actually completed before we could get to the medical center later that day. They also reimbursed us for a cabin credit that our daughter and sil bought for us, for a balcony dinner, served in our cabin. This is normally not a refundable credit. Either you use it or you lose it, but under the circumstances, they refunded it to our account.

We had purchased the cruise through Priceline and bought their trip insurance. I called them and they supposedly will cover us for the two days portion of the overall cruise price that we were isolated in the cabin, as well as the medical center charges. Unfortunately that is two days out of the 14, as opposed to 2 out the 4 days in HI. We’re still waiting on the claim forms to arrive and for them to process them. We will see.

One possible upside to this is that I have been trying to convince my wife that we should get an RV for when I retire in a few years. We are not too keen on flying anymore after this. We are also not too keen on cruises, mainly because of the possibility of becoming imprisoned in our cabin again, especially, but not limited to, flu season. If we ever did go on another cruise, we will without a doubt, never get an inside cabin. I can't imagine how that would have worked!

Sorry to hear that you unfortunately got sick and were unable to fully enjoy your cruise.

Did you report your air-conditioning and door latching problems?

Concerning the flimsy facial tissues the waste disposal system on a ship is not that much different than what you'll have if you purchase an RV and like the toilett paper are designed to disintegrate more easily and thus not as sturdy.

Food is very subjective & I think that all cruise lines have had a decline in the quality of their food as they struggle to keep prices low enough for us to be able to afford to cruise. It's been a few years since we sailed Carnival however to me their food was similar to that on Princess & has probably declined also.

Forgot to mention this was our first time on Princess, the first time cruising from the west coast and obviously the first time in Hawaii. A cruise of many firsts and, unfortunately, one big LAST!

I didn't flush the used tissues, although I can see why they might be concerned that some will. The toilet tissue was of better quality in that regard than the facial tissue.

I also went out of my way to make sure they ended up in the trash can so the cabin steward did not have to handle them. During the isolation period they periodically came in with a special team to wipe down the walls with disinfectant, and generally clean the cabin more thoroughly. Funny thing was, they cleaned the walls but never cleaned the large plastic covered artwork in the cabin. If the walls could become tainted, why not the pictures?

We reported the AC issue the second day, before we got sick and the latching issue to our cabin steward. They came and tried to fix the AC twice, but it never got better. The airflow from the vent was barely noticeable. No one came to look at the balcony door.

I agree. Did you report the A/C and door latching problems? I'm surprised that the door wouldn't latch since it's part of the door handle mechanism. There's not a separate lock. People sometimes don't realize that to latch the door, all they have to do is turn the handle down and the door latches.

Hi There

Fully understand the flying thing, can not recall the last time we flew

and one of us did not catch something, lucky for us it has been on return

flights the past few cruises, but not always,

being ill in an inside is not nice,

yours Shogun

Forgot to mention this was our first time on Princess, the first time cruising from the west coast and obviously the first time in Hawaii. A cruise of many firsts and, unfortunately, one big LAST!

I didn't flush the used tissues, although I can see why they might be concerned that some will. The toilet tissue was of better quality in that regard than the facial tissue.

I also went oput of my way to make sure they ended up in the trash can so the cabin steward did not have to handle them. During the isolation period they periodically came in with a special team to wipe down the walls with disinfectant, and generally clean the cabin more thoroughly. Funny thing was, they cleaned the walls but never cleaned the large plastic covered artwork in the cabin. If the walls could become tainted, why not the pictures?

Sorry if you thought that I implied you may have put facial tissue in the toilet which wasn't my intention. :o. It is possible that the facial tissues are more biodegradable like the TP as they seek ways to reduce waste on a ship.

Did you report the air conditioning and doorlock issues?

I agree. Did you report the A/C and door latching problems? I'm surprised that the door wouldn't latch since it's part of the door handle mechanism. There's not a separate lock. People sometimes don't realize that to latch the door, all they have to do is turn the handle down and the door latches.

Down or up the balcony door would crack open. In order to close it I had to open it a little more and slam it shut. I wonder how much sleep the people on L204 got!

The latching issue was on the way back to LA, so, they probably didn't look at it. For the sake of the people on subsequent cruises I hope they fix it.

Sorry to hear about the sickness. On my second cruise to Hawaii we took the kids to Disneyland the day before we left and I ended up with a cold on the way to Hawaii that took some of the fun away. Luckily the cold was on the way out once we got to the island and we had a good time. I did learn to pack all you need for a cold and never to leave home without it.

Sorry if you thought that I implied you may have put facial tissue in the toilet which wasn't my intention. :o. It is possible that the facial tissues are more biodegradable like the TP as they seek ways to reduce waste on a ship.

Did you report the air conditioning and doorlock issues?

I didn't think you were implying that.

I'm so sorry you got ill on your trip! Having ended up spending 3 days in bed on our land trip to Italy last year, I can feel your pain. One thing I can very highly recommend if you are flying is Airborne. It really does help to boost your immune system so that if a germy person is nearby you are at least minimally protected - we take it for two days before we enter the germ can (airplane). And my daughter swears by sucking on zinc lozenges during flights (apparently that's a singer thing).

I'm so sorry you got ill on your trip! Having ended up spending 3 days in bed on our land trip to Italy last year, I can feel your pain. One thing I can very highly recommend if you are flying is Airborne. It really does help to boost your immune system so that if a germy person is nearby you are at least minimally protected - we take it for two days before we enter the germ can (airplane). And my daughter swears by sucking on zinc lozenges during flights (apparently that's a singer thing).

It would be considerate to say the least if people with flu/colds would wear masks during flights. Why infect many of the people around you.

My commiserations for a lousy final(?) cruise. Half the ship had head colds by the end of our last cruise, as it spreads like wildfire in confined spaces.

I had a very close relative who boarded a flight with a very slight cough and shortly after returning home developed pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. While in the hospital she got a drug-resistant staph infection and died much too young.

I'm certainly not an infectious disease expert and don't know the lifecycle which could cause such things. However we've wondered if due to her weakened immune system from her cough she may have caught something from someone on her flight.

The OP definitely has my sympathies. I came down with noro symptoms on Christmas day on my Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Princess, and spent about 36 hours in cabin isolation. When you're sick, there's no place like home. But if I had to be sick away from home, I'd rather it was on a cruise ship than in a hotel somewhere. They were great about bringing me room service (albeit all I could manage was stuff like jello and broth) and sending in the "hit squad" to clean the cabin. I had to miss my whale watching tour in Cabo, but at least I could stare out my balcony at the shore. An inside cabin would've been more depressing. Very bad luck indeed that it made you unable to enjoy your port days in Hawaii. Good luck with your insurance claim.

It would be considerate to say the least if people with flu/colds would wear masks during flights. Why infect many of the people around you.

My commiserations for a lousy final(?) cruise. Half the ship had head colds by the end of our last cruise, as it spreads like wildfire in confined spaces.

It a utopian environment, that would be perfect... unfortunately, people with colds fly all the time. I had to laugh on boarding the ship in January - the number of people with the sniffles in the waiting room who you KNOW had just completed that form saying "nope, no colds HERE!" - LOL! They just wanted on the ship!

That's not always possible. I was flying home a few years ago from Santiago and while waiting to board, I felt a possible cold coming on. Ten hours later, by the time we landed in Miami, it was full-blown. I was enroute to CA and had an absolutely miserable flight. I did everything I could to not touch or expose anyone but it was hard. I suppose I could have retrieved my luggage and stayed at a hotel for a day or two but frankly, that didn't occur to me. :(

Both my husband and I have gotten ill on a cruise. I never leave home without cold/flu medicine...just in case. We continue to cruise...but we are a lot more prepared.

Now..as far as an RV...GO FOR IT! Rent one or two...take some trips (hopefully with friends who know how 'things' work), figure out what kind you want and DO IT! We have had an RV for 25 years (4 different ones) and have been retired for 3 years. Between traveling by land (RV) and sea (cruising) we are loving life. Right now we are snowbirding on the banks of the Colorado River in Arizona. What a WONDERFUL life. IMHO.

Next time...drive your RV to CA...park it...take your HI cruise and have a wonderful time. We stay away from airplanes as much as possible.

On the Grand in 2011,our cabin had a latch that the door engaged to lock it when fullly closed.Ours was so crusted over from the salt air that our door would never lock even when the handle was put in the down position.

We have had many a vacation spoiled, or at least interrupted, by colds after flying so now we boost our immune systems with Cold FX a few days prior and after a flight. We also coat the inside of our noses with polysporin anti-bacterial gel (using a Q-Tip) before the flight and on the cruise. Touch wood but it's been five years since the last cold. Of course we also are very careful what we touch and wash, wash our hands often. Found out about the Polysporin trick on a local travel show and swear by it! Sorry your cruise was such a bust and wishing you safe and healthy travels in the future. Gloria

One of the biggest benefits of retirement is all those times we can avoid planes! We are about to slowly make our way to Fort Lauderdale from Canada, stopping along the way. We are saving a fortune in air fare, avoiding the invasive airport security,unconcerned with the weight of our luggage, avoiding the stress of air travel, and of course the germs on the plane. Sometimes planes can't be avoided but its great when they can!

So sorry to hear about your cruise of illness!:(

It just reinforces that fact, of why I take my Clorox wipes on flights, and take airborn the days before flying. (and, my friends laugh at me!) I don't care.

When I hear someone coughing around me, I spray them with Lysol. J/k I wish I could. Ha ha.

I am always worried about the germs that are all over those planes !

We also have an RV, and it's nice to know we are only ones using it all the time, not some strangers like in a hotel ! But, it's still not as fun as a cruise where I get waited on day and night !

I hope you attempt cruising again, and have a trip of a lifetime !

It is miserable to be sick on a cruise. We did a cruise this summer and my mom had bronchitis and I ended up with a cold which felt worse then bronchitis (my mom wanted to go to the dining room - doctor gave her permission), I didn't as I felt miserable and stayed in the cabin. I can't imagine having the real flu on a ship. I had it at home once and it was miserable.

Unfortunately, I have been sick on land trips before :( Though, you are right, going to stores to get meds is a lot cheaper/better selection than what the ship provides! So many people where I live have been sick this past month - it is scary.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do in the future.

Oh how I can sympathize! In 2011 we went on a 14 day river cruise from Bucharest to Vienna to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We first flew into Amsterdam for a week prior. I took precautions for our trans-Atlantic flight (Airborne) and was fine. Then we flew into Bucharest. People were coughing and snuffling through the whole flight.

First our luggage was lost for 36 hrs. Luckily the cruise included 24 hrs in Bucharest before boarding the ship...So our bags could catch up. We got our luggage about 9-10 hours before boarding the river boat. The first day aboard I started to come down with a bad head cold. I self-quarantined myself...not going on the excursion to the Black Sea and choosing a table for two that was isolated from all others. I washed my hands frequently and didn't go to the buffet. Unfortunately after about 6 days, the cold re-energized itself and I went through the cycle again. By this time half the ship was sick so I no longer quarantined myself. I was basically sick through the whole two week trip. The worst part was clearing my ears on the flights home.

So I understand your mixed feelings about your trip. While the company we cruised with did nothing wrong, I'm hesitant to go on another river cruise now.

Archived