LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Pia --

At least one ship has new Pop Choir material.

I was in the pop choir on the Star, February 12-25/13. We had the new music. It contained a Bee-Gees medley which is very difficult as there is a falsetto men's section and a few other tricky pieces. We were lucky and had a great male singer do it. It also contained the song Blue Bayou, Life is a Highway, Good Times Boogie and Eye of Tiger.

Pia --

At least one ship has new Pop Choir material.

Originally Posted by Canadianturtle#1 viewpost.gif

I was in the pop choir on the Star, February 12-25/13. We had the new music. It contained a Bee-Gees medley which is very difficult as there is a falsetto men's section and a few other tricky pieces. We were lucky and had a great male singer do it. It also contained the song Blue Bayou, Life is a Highway, Good Times Boogie and Eye of Tiger.

This is the music we had on the Grand Dec 1-15, 2012. Lynda and I sat in the IC and listened for a while. Or maybe it was just a sing-along but it was definitely that music.

Oppressive heat and humidity. That’s how the day began. Mike felt it was too hot for him to venture ashore, so we stayed on board for the morning and early afternoon. Then the sun went down and a breeze arrived, so we took the tram and went to look at the vendors. Mike needs to look at “stuff.” Always. Since I had already decided that we weren’t going anywhere, I bit the bullet and bought another bottle of wine from room service. Hey, that’s why they give me all that OBC. In any event, Mike also decided he could live w/o more beer, so we didn’t do the supermarket either. And of course we bought nothing from any vendor. Back to the comfort and A/C of the ship. Makes us happy.

re: pop choir. There may be new songs, but this one doens't have it. Same old; same old

:eek:Pia ,humidity is a tat better then a Nor'easter ,, just got hit again with that sticky white stuff ,,,21 heavy inches fell in our area . So ready to get out of here ,,leaving on the Dawn Princess on the end of the month .Pia U did a most wunderbar job on the " Live from the Grand " ,great info for us all ,,Thank's,,:)

Pia one question: are U sad the cruise is almost ending ???? take care ,,Renate,

.Pia U did a most wunderbar job on the " Live from the Grand " ,great info for us all ,,Thank's,,:)

Pia one question: are U sad the cruise is almost ending ???? take care ,,Renate,

Ditto for Renate's comments. But has the end of the cruise come this quickly. I know there is another week to go bu just in case I miss the chance later, Pia thank you so much for your daily commentary. Even though we had to cancel this cruise and miss all those wonderful days, we have felt that we experienced so much through your tales. Roll on October and 21 days on the Diamond. Cheers.

Welcome to San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua where we had a great tour a few months ago; in November. Nicaragua was founded in 1522 by Spanish explorer Andres Nino who was searching for a sea link between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Nicaragua is the largest country in Central America, San Juan del Sur being on the Pacific side. When we were here in November it was very hot, but I recall a slight breeze so it was not unbearable. Weather today is supposed to be sunny and 90. This is a tender port and the main road is just a short walk from the pier. All your shopping is right there, with vendors selling pottery, wood carvings, shoes, hammocks and other souvenirs. My big purchase was a plate, and Mike got his requisite polo. Most of the tours go to Granada which is 90 minutes away and we went there too. Also to a tobacco plantation and a colonial home where cigars were being made. We also went to Lake Nicaragua and viewed the Mombacho volcano. Since we’ve already just about exhausted all the main venues, I suppose we will just tender over and look around.

UPDATE

The above was written just before we got an announcement by the captain. It is now 6:45 AM and we will not be tendering to this port. Winds are at 35 knots and pilot could not board. Too dangerous. It looks lovely out there, but looks are deceiving.

==============================================

Last night, since we had zero interest in the cabaret entertainer and Mike wasn’t enthusiastic about the movie in Vista; Scapegoat, we again watched one in our cabin. The Odd Life of Timothy Green. It seems that lately we end up seeing all kinds of strange movies. It was OK.

Today on board is the usual nothing for a port day and the afternoon movie will be The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Tonight’s choices are just as good. MUTS has Jiro Dreams of Sushi, the theater has a harmonica player and Vista has a magician. Guess where we will probably end up? ;)

Over and out for now. Time to go exercise. Need to rush, since schedule change will make gym crowded.

Renate and Lorri: No. It's about time to go home.

Hi Pia,

You saved yourself a miserable tendering with the Captain cancelling this port. In Dec. on the Star, the port had a rule, only one tender at a time could enter the area. Tenders were lined up waiting. For the tours, we sat in the theatre for 3 hours waiting to be called with at least 2,000 passengers. Then we all exploded at once. I ran up and asked for a refund for our tour(lunch and Lake Nicaragua), since it was now after 3:00PM. I was told okay and our whole group of 200 people stood up with me and left. I signalled to our friend Amelia and she and her group waiting for another tour did the same. Most of the theatre empted. We watched from our balcony the tenders waiting to go in and they were bobbing in the water. Those that did decide to go on tours, never got off ship before 4:30PM, saw nothing in the dark and returned to horrendous lines for tenders after 8:30pm. Ship had to leave very late because it took hours to get them on board. By the way, those that went and saw nothing got no refund unless they really complained(some got half, some got nothing) We felt really lucky to be fully refunded and not go at all. Been there several times and really missed nothing.This is not a good port for tendering anymore, although in the past we had no problem.

Hi Pia,

You saved yourself a miserable tendering with the Captain cancelling this port. In Dec. on the Star, the port had a rule, only one tender at a time could enter the area. Tenders were lined up waiting. For the tours, we sat in the theatre for 3 hours waiting to be called with at least 2,000 passengers.

Not the experience we had last March.

Our tour was scheduled for 7:30 AM. I do not remember what time we were put on the tender, but the first photo we took from the tour bus (partly on the way to Lake Nicaragua) was tagged with being taken at 8:30 AM.

Caribill,

Apparently there was some changes made in that Port. We were there the year before and they had several tenders going at one time.This time only one at a time could enter the port.

Our ship arrived late(Noon), and maybe that was part of the problem.

However, to reboard all the passengers at night that did tender, took over three hours waiting in line in the dark.(and we were greatful not us).

I see from the SF Port schedule for 2013 that the Grand is going into drydock on Dec. 10, 2013 for 10 days. Anybody know what they plan to do?

Tom:)

I am hoping they make her all clean and spruced up for my Hawaii cruise that leaves on the Dec 20, 2013. I am hopeful that we wont have any problems given she is coming from dry dock. Also boarding should be quick and easy since no one to get off and the rooms will be already.

Good morning everyone on this Sunday morning at sea with weather forecast of sun and 93 degrees. Sunrise was at 6:00 AM and since we sleep with our drapes open, it definitely woke me earlier than expected. Not so Mike. He can sleep through anything and anywhere.

During dinner last night, Captain made another announcement. This time about Cabo where we were to tender on Wednesday morning. We are now going to arrive late Tuesday afternoon and stay overnight. No mention of whether or not tenders will run all night. We have no intention of getting off on Tuesday anyway. Our entertainment last night was watching Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts in “Larry Crowne.” In our cabin. I know we saw this before, but only remembered teeny bits of it.

On board this morning is a destination lecture on Cabo, the wonderful three hours only $10 sale, a lecture, The Enigma that is Pluto and a shopping show with maps and coupons for Cabo. Hahaha

In the afternoon there’s another Maxtone-Graham lecture; S.S. Normandie, the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild in the theater, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off on MUTS. There is also wine tasting at 3:00; don’t know whether or not we will attend. Did the first one;skipped the second.

Tonight’s MUTS movie is Perks of Being a Wallflower, in Vista, “Motor City” and in the theater, a comedian/impressionist, Joey Van. We choose door number three.

BTW, we know the clocks were changed last night, but not ours. I believe we still have to stay on the current ship’s time until we need to be on Pacific time. Not something I need to be concerned with.

This is going to be a complete copy and paste whenever I can. Internet is completely down this morning. I have been trying to log in off and on since before 7:00.

It is now 3 PM and internet is still shut down. There’s a message we get on the computer that says it’s undergoing maintenance. Just like the elevators I suppose, since every day at least one or more are out of service in each bank.

Now it’s 5:30; still nothing. Internet manager has posted signs stating that there is no reception in this area and he hopes we will have service some time tonight. I realize it might be tomorrow before you read this.

7:45 PM and we have a weak signal. Just saw awful show; Joey Van. Hope this posts. Wish me luck and maybe I can get on tomorrow AM

I see from the SF Port schedule for 2013 that the Grand is going into drydock on Dec. 10, 2013 for 10 days. Anybody know what they plan to do?

Tom:)

If it is only ten days, it is mainly to do maintenance that cannot be done at sea. Scraping the barnecles, painting the hull, maybe engine updates.

No major construction, but possibly new rugs in common areas and common area furniture renewal.

Love reading everyday.

When you have time and internet,

would you please tell me/us about

the Princess Grand.

What you like/dislike.

About the rooms, food ect.

Thank you in advance.

Having been on the Grand Princess the first 19 days (1st segment) of this cruise, I had forgotten how very small the closets were compared to the other princess ships. I was on the ship in 1999 and 2000 but have been on other princess ships with larger closet and a little larger bathroom. I will say I loved the Alfedo Pizza in the Piazza which is not offered on other princess ships.

Having been on the Grand Princess the first 19 days (1st segment) of this cruise, I had forgotten how very small the closets were compared to the other princess ships. I was on the ship in 1999 and 2000 but have been on other princess ships with larger closet and a little larger bathroom. I will say I loved the Alfedo Pizza in the Piazza which is not offered on other princess ships.
The closets are only small in the inside, oceanview and balcony cabins. The mini-suites have the typical closet space of other Grand class ships.

I will say I loved the Alfedo Pizza in the Piazza which is not offered on other princess ships.

I also enjoyed Alfredo's Pizzeria very much however it was on the Sapphire Princess & it will also be on the Royal Princess. And hopefully during future major dry docks of other ships it will also be included in the Piazza.

I don't know how it's set up on the Grand however on the Sapphire I thought they utilized the space very well. They reduced the size of the underutilized Vines space & used that larger space for Alfredo's Pizzeria. :D

Good Morning. I think. Hopefully we have a functioning internet and I’ll be able to post this in a timely fashion. As I mentioned last night, the show was awful. Comic? No. Impressionist? Definitely not. He kept doing Neil Diamond, but not the Neil Diamond we know. Not even close. Oh well. We were back in the cabin quite early and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel showed up on our TV. Not advertised. We’d seen it before, so we saw it again.

Today’s agenda includes:

1. How to Plan a Cruise. Pretty funny considering more than 2000 passengers are either Platinum or Elite.

2. Destination lecture on San Francisco. (Don’t know why, because most people are going home).

3. Lecture on the Australian Gold Rush

4. Afternoon movie in the theater The Scapegoat

5. Afternoon movie on MUTS; Hitch

6. Maxtone-Graham lecture; S.S. France

We get to pick up our passports today. I wonder how much of it will have been stamped. We also have a M & G lunch in DaVinci for those who will be doing the crossing on the Royal. I have no idea how many will show up; we received an invitation a few days ago from someone I don’t know.

Tonight there is basically nothing for us inasmuch as we will pass on a female vocalist in the theater. Vista has Senior Prom Night; 50’s and 60’s R & R. No thanks. I no longer have my poodle skirt, but I do still have my saddle shoes. MUTS is showing Skyfall which we just saw a few days ago.

It’s Déjà vu; no connection, so another copy and paste whenever. I got lucky last night because I understand the signal disappeared just after I posted. And, it hasn’t come back yet. It’s now 9:00 AM and we’ve picked up our passports. Stamps were issues in Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru. Nothing from Uruguay, Ecuador or Costa Rica.

Gotta' get out of here. Don't know how long this connection will last. Hey Cugino, where have you been?

I've sailed the Golden and Star with big

closets. Really liked them. Does the

Grand have the cubboard with shelves

in the closet? Big shelf on top? Hope so.

Did you miss Skywalkers? Was the other

place alright?

Know this ship was built first so the others

got changes as they were built.

I heard Alfredo's Pizza was good and not

busy most times of the day.

Thank you again, if you want to give me

any more information about anything on the Grand

will be glad to read about it.

Archived