New Queen Elizabeth review

Cunard Cruiser

A new review, 56 pages, about Queen Elizabeth:

[http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/01/28/cunard-queen-elizabeth-cruise-review/1868859/

What I am not surprised about is the mixture of the comments.

They felt it was oversold, particularly when it came to service, which was "sometimes clunky or nonexistent." The reviewer notes meals were inconsistent, with the main Britannia Restaurant offering "spotty service and middling food" while the ships' upscale Verandah venue was "one of the best specialty restaurants at sea, well worth the surcharge."

Not surprised at the comments. I think many frequent passengers on Cunard, including me, feel the same. Overpriced and in return too many cutbacks such as food and the more pronounced nickel and dime at every opportunity

Well Cunard should take some of the great feedback about this restaurant and roll it out across in the other two ships instead of Todd English. While i have enjoyed Todd English a few times..everything has its day and if the Verandah is that good make a change now for the future.

Just as an aside the alternative dining on QVictoria both times has been superb and well worth the $10 pp (Prime..Coriander both excellent).

The reviewer mentions that there are drawers under the bed. Where, then, do you put your luggage?

There are two drawers under the bed - they pull out from the foot end of the bed. There is still plenty of space for suitcases under the head end. With a little bit of lateral thinking we were still able to store four reasonable sized suitcases under there even after the drawers were fitted. The drawers themselves aren't huge but they will hold a significant amount of clothing items and are a big improvement on the previous drawerless configuration.

J

Thank you very much for posting taht review although I have now found out a soft drinks package will cost me $870 for our cruise. All for a couple of bottles of cordial and some cold water ;)

If you don't specifically want bottled water you can simply go to any bar and ask for a glass of water and they will simply give it to you - I've never been charged. If you take your own cordial on board you can then add to the glass of water back in your stateroom. I usually take a glass of water back to our stateroom before we retire each evening. So, you could save yourself $870.

Thank you :)

Obviously none of us are skin flints but I object to paying for plain old drinking water and I am assuming that what comes out of our taps will be quite drinkable. I may well bring aboard one of those water containers I can put in the fridge as my medication makes me quite thirsty.

I would have loved to have read about the staff reaction if the author had complained about the cleaning equipment left in the dining area. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes but leaving cleaning items in a area where we eat is perhaps not the most hygenic of situations.

It would have been nice to hear how the complaint was dealt with and was this a one off, a genuine mistake or was it poor training, poor supervision or just a lack of pride in their profession?

I do agree about this cultural issue of what we expect from the staff as I personally find this constant fixed smile and 'have a nice day' type attitude condescending. If a waitress, waiter, bar person or anyone else wants to smile then fine, but if they don't then respect to them as long as they are not sour faced or rude, but each to their own. :)

Have a nice day,

Jolly John

A new review, 56 pages, about Queen Elizabeth:

[http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/01/28/cunard-queen-elizabeth-cruise-review/1868859/

What I am not surprised about is the mixture of the comments.

They felt it was oversold, particularly when it came to service, which was "sometimes clunky or nonexistent." The reviewer notes meals were inconsistent, with the main Britannia Restaurant offering "spotty service and middling food" while the ships' upscale Verandah venue was "one of the best specialty restaurants at sea, well worth the surcharge."

Not surprised at the comments. I think many frequent passengers on Cunard, including me, feel the same. Overpriced and in return too many cutbacks such as food and the more pronounced nickel and dime at every opportunity

Not surprised about this review,thankfully Carnival has Seabourn in it's stable for those wanting a luxury line.

Not surprised about this review,thankfully Carnival has Seabourn in it's stable for those wanting a luxury line.

One of the ways we cab strive to improve our business is to listen to constructive observations or criticisms but...

Who are we comparing this company with?

When I booked my cruise the prices being asked were comparable to both P&O and Fred Olsen. Does Cunard offer a better or worse service than these two other lines?

Does Cunard charge a similar price cabin for cabin to Seabourn or Silversea?

There is no excuse for rudeness, nor leaving cleaning materials in areas where we have food on display or food being consumed.

Does Cunard frequent these forums or are we better off posting our observations here and then making sure we write a formal letter of complaint to the cruise line?

My thoughts are forums are a great place to let off steam but perhaps not the best place to perhaps try to get things changed or improved??

Hopefully cunard have read this review and asked their staff some very pertinent questions :)

Just checked Silversea and a 114 day so called World Cruise is practically double the price of a Cunard 118 day full trans globe World cruise.

I feel it unfair to compare an apple with an orange different fruits which might appeal to different folk?

. I may well bring aboard one of those water containers I can put in the fridge as my medication makes me quite thirsty.

Asda sell nice plastic vacuum flasks that fit into the fridge. They are handy to take out on deck or ashore and keep water cool.

David"

When I booked my cruise the prices being asked were comparable to both P&O and Fred Olsen. Does Cunard offer a better or worse service than these two other lines?

I feel it unfair to compare an apple with an orange different fruits which might appeal to different folk?

I am surprised that Fred was a similar price to Cunard, they are being sold dead cheap on many cruises. They certainly do not compare. P&O however offer a service which is as good and often better if you select the ship that suits you. And a sensible tipping policy.

David

I am surprised that Fred was a similar price to Cunard, they are being sold dead cheap on many cruises. They certainly do not compare. P&O however offer a service which is as good and often better if you select the ship that suits you. And a sensible tipping policy.

David

Hi David,

You have hit the nail on the head when you say you did not realise the price structure of these cruises.

P&O are no doubt an excellent line and that might be a better company to compare Cunard with and to me it speaks volumes when the author compares the Queen Elizabeth to the more 'upmarket' cruise companies.

regarding Fred Olsen, the Balmoral is their ship that is doing the World cruise next year. Balcony cabins for this adventure start at £16k+ and surprisingly enough The Queen Elizabeth balcony cabins start at the same price £16k+ (the + being the hundreds)

However the Balmoral is away for just 104 days compared to the 118 of the Queen Elizabeth and no matter how we juggle the figures it works out that Cunard are the cheaper company.

P&O are £14.5k for 109 days which again is cheaper than Fred Olsen

David

Just to prove these things are subjective, I much prefer Fred to P&O. Different to Cunard but, in its own way, just as enjoyable. Recent experiences on P&O (Oriana) were most certainly under par.

Peter

regarding Fred Olsen, the Balmoral is their ship that is doing the World cruise next year. Balcony cabins for this adventure start at £16k+ and surprisingly enough The Queen Elizabeth balcony cabins start at the same price £16k+ (the + being the hundreds)

However the Balmoral is away for just 104 days compared to the 118 of the Queen Elizabeth and no matter how we juggle the figures it works out that Cunard are the cheaper company

The reason that Fred's balconies are more expensive than Cunard's is that they have far fewer of them and they always attract a premium for early booking (the odd deal pops up at the last minute).

You've picked the right line for a world cruise, though, IMHO, though Balmoral is delightful.

Enjoy your trip of a lifetime.

Peter:)

The reason that Fred's balconies are more expensive than Cunard's is that they have far fewer of them and they always attract a premium for early booking (the odd deal pops up at the last minute).

You've picked the right line for a world cruise, though, IMHO, though Balmoral is delightful.

Enjoy your trip of a lifetime.

Peter:)

Thank you Peter and it looks like I am EXTREMELY lucky in having some very nices 'shipmates' who are on that same cruise.

I am not judging what line is better simply becauseI have NO idea, I just query the comparison of comparing Cunard with Silversea or Seabourn, nice though it is. :)

I enjoyed reading the review, I thought it very fair and hopefully Cunard might see it and take any action they feel necessary? :)

Asda sell nice plastic vacuum flasks that fit into the fridge. They are handy to take out on deck or ashore and keep water cool.

Thanks, :)

We have some weird thing that runs the tap water through some sort of filter, I have NO idea why but the container stays in the refridgerator and keeps the water cool. :)

Archived