Noro On Equinox

kitty9

There is unfortunately no way a cholera vaccine could prevent a person from catching norovirus. Cholera is a bacteria (in humans) and norovirus is a virus. The diseases themselves happen to cause similar symptoms, but there is no corrolation between them. In the world at large, cholera is one of the diseases most likely to cause stomach symptoms like norovirus so I suspect that is where the high percentages come from. I have also read that the cholera vaccine is not even very useful at protecting humans from cholera. So to each their own in the way of medical decisions, but those are the facts. They are currently testing an actual norovirus vaccine - we can all keep our fingers crossed that it works and is available sooner rather than later.

One more interesting fact for an earlier poster. I read that the Princess cruiseline actually had many more outbreaks, statistically, than any other cruiseline - I believe the statistic was that 50% of all norovirus outbreaks have been on Princess, but not 100% sure of that number. Not sure why that would be, but for the record Celebrity is no worse than most, and certainly better than Princess. Not saying this cuz I am a Celebrity fanatic (although I am:D), but it is true.

I think One of the reasons Princess has problems with Noro is that passengers are charged when they visit the doctor while Celebrity does not charge for treating gastro intestinal symptoms. I think this encourages people to seek treatment as they will not be faced with an unknown amount charged to their account. Also I have heard, maybe someone can confirm, that if you stay in your cabin the required 24-48 hrs as required by the Dr, Celebrity will credit your account a nominal OBC for each day confined. They know if you sneak out:). By doing this, I think Celebrity has a better chance in controlling the spread of the virus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am just curious how they track who has left their stateroom and who has not during quarantine. Also, if one person in the stateroom is ill and the other is not, can the well person leave the stateroom?

There are 3 ways:

1. The no-brainer way: Use of one's seapass card.

2. The low-tech and easy way: The room stewart, assistants and other staff members know who are quarantined and are obligated to report them. If you have crusied before, you know how likely it is that you will run into your room stewart or assistants when you exit/enter your cabin. Or if you are quarantined, and they enter to makeup your room and you are not there! :eek:

3. The high tech way: Face recognition programs (they take your picture when you board the ship). I do NOT know whether Celebrity, the low-tech leader, has this advanced program yet. Nevertheless it is already widely used in all major airports, amusement parks (annual pass processing), etc, etc. What was once fiction in a Jason Bourne movie is now a reality.

There is unfortunately no way a cholera vaccine could prevent a person from catching norovirus. Cholera is a bacteria (in humans) and norovirus is a virus. The diseases themselves happen to cause similar symptoms, but there is no corrolation between them. In the world at large, cholera is one of the diseases most likely to cause stomach symptoms like norovirus so I suspect that is where the high percentages come from. I have also read that the cholera vaccine is not even very useful at protecting humans from cholera. So to each their own in the way of medical decisions, but those are the facts. They are currently testing an actual norovirus vaccine - we can all keep our fingers crossed that it works and is available sooner rather than later.

And the other thing is that every person who gets sick on a cruise ship is said to have "noro". It could be any kind of stomach bug picked up onboard or ashore. As posters have suggested on this thread, don't even go to the medical centre - just phone them and tell them your symptoms. Not sure how you can be accurately diagnosed over the phone (or without proper tests) so all bugs seem to be diagnosed as "noro"... who knows how many people actually have the virus?

Found these statistics on the CDC web site for 2010-11

Setting of 1,518 Confirmed Norovirus Outbreaks, U.S., 2010-2011:

Long-term Care Facility 59%;

Restaurants 8%;

Party & Event 6%;

Hospital 4%;

School 4%;

Cruise Ship 4%;

Other & Unknown 15%

So you probably have a better chance getting the Noro off ship than on.

I did read that the new Sydney Noro is pretty strong and Purell does not work to kill it. They suggest cleaning surfaces with a Bleach & water mixture. It also stated that it is still contagious 3 days after getting better.

From the Mayo Clinic web site:

Norovirus. With norovirus — the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in adults — you're contagious from the moment you begin to feel ill. Symptoms appear within one to three days of exposure. Although you typically feel better after a day or two, you're contagious for at least three days after you've recovered. Some people may be contagious for up to two weeks after recovery. Also, children are often contagious for a longer period than are adults.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/norovirus-variant-sydney-2012-spreads-around-the-world-20130110-2cii2.html

We sailed on the Solstice two years ago this month and were warned by email that the ship had been through a "special" cleaning demanded by the CDC. The email gave us the option of a full refund if we decided not to sail. Because we had purchased our airfare separately and had booked the time off work, we decided to take our chances and sail with them.

Now we're going to be on the Feb 11/13 cruise on the Equinox and it is happening all over again. In the last two years, we have been on 1 Princess and 2 Carnival cruises and there was absolutely no illness that we know of on any of them. Is it Celebrity or just a coincidence?

This is just a coincidence. Every year we read reports of different ships on all the lines having an outbreak. Friends of ours were ill in November on RCL Adventure along with 30 others. These outbreaks occur everywhere people gather but cruise ships must report them to theCDC- resorts and hotels don't. According to ABC news last week there are millions of cases in the USA- in schools, workplaces, all over. You must be prepared. We use hand sanitizers all the times that we cannot wash with soap and water. I am personally appalled by the lack of personal hygiene I see in public restrooms.

Nikki

We sailed on the Solstice two years ago this month and were warned by email that the ship had been through a "special" cleaning demanded by the CDC. The email gave us the option of a full refund if we decided not to sail. Because we had purchased our airfare separately and had booked the time off work, we decided to take our chances and sail with them.

It impacted us in several ways:

-the library was closed-no books

-the buffets were not "serve yourself"

-the staff were exhausted

-embarkation was delayed and the rooms were not completely stocked until the next day

-we had paid for concierge but were not able to use the "early boarding" aspect-everyone had to wait in one very long line

-there were no pillows, extra fabric, etc shown in the cabin photos-it was very stripped down

-the worst part was they sprayed the room carpet with something instead of vacuuming-they said the CDC demanded it be done this way- as a result we had toenail clippings, sand and food remnants on our carpet when we entered the room for the first time- not good

-the best part was that I did not hear of anyone getting sick on our cruise even though the previous cruises had reportedly been horrific (people waiting in line for adult diapers)

Now we're going to be on the Feb 11/13 cruise on the Equinox and it is happening all over again. In the last two years, we have been on 1 Princess and 2 Carnival cruises and there was absolutely no illness that we know of on any of them. Is it Celebrity or just a coincidence?

Hi Curious Jane! I was on the same Solstice cruise. As a matter of fact I was on the same plane from Toronto and came up to introduce myself because of recognizing your group from Cruise Critic. Told your husbands at the airport in FLL that you didn't realize that you were standing behind Kevin Bacon for an hour or so going through immigration in T.O.

We are flying out od T.O. Feb 8th for a cruise on the Silhouette on the 10th.

We had a great time on the Solstice and I'm sure the Eqinox will be very clean as well. In a way you are better off having an outbreak before you get on because of the deep cleaning plus everyone on your cruise is more aware of the Noro.

Have a great time

Bill

And the other thing is that every person who gets sick on a cruise ship is said to have "noro". It could be any kind of stomach bug picked up onboard or ashore. As posters have suggested on this thread, don't even go to the medical centre - just phone them and tell them your symptoms. Not sure how you can be accurately diagnosed over the phone (or without proper tests) so all bugs seem to be diagnosed as "noro"... who knows how many people actually have the virus?

Your information is incorrect, as you may have misread my post. In the beginning, people were told to report to the medical center, but as the numbers increased, and because they didn't want the sick ones walking about the ship, touching surfaces in the elevator, they changed their policy to have sick ones call and a member of the medical staff came to their cabin. They did NOT diagnose over the phone.

I saw my doctor yesterday and asked him about any vaccines and he told me absolutely nothing currently available vaccine-wise prevents Noro at this time. Researchers are working on something, but according to his medical journals, any vaccine is at least 2 years from being tried.

Here is the link to CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program's results. If the "causative agent" is unknown it means they have not rec'd the test results back. What surprised me was the E coli outbreak.:eek: Glad we take Dukorol.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2012

There are 3 ways:

1. The no-brainer way: Use of one's seapass card.

2. The low-tech and easy way: The room stewart, assistants and other staff members know who are quarantined and are obligated to report them. If you have crusied before, you know how likely it is that you will run into your room stewart or assistants when you exit/enter your cabin. Or if you are quarantined, and they enter to makeup your room and you are not there! :eek:

3. The high tech way: Face recognition programs (they take your picture when you board the ship). I do NOT know whether Celebrity, the low-tech leader, has this advanced program yet. Nevertheless it is already widely used in all major airports, amusement parks (annual pass processing), etc, etc. What was once fiction in a Jason Bourne movie is now a reality.

Several years ago, my Mom was quarantined with Noro on RCCL. They used the low-tech way of enforcement. She said they really were very kind to her, and very attentive. But someone from the medical office called her a few times a day to "check" on her, to see how she was feeling (and, she began to suspect, to see if she was indeed in the cabin). Also, her cabin steward checked in on her several times to see if he could bring her soup, jello or anything to make her quarantine more comfortable. They were very attentive, and would definitely have "caught" her if she had sneaked out.

As has been pointed out by others quoting the CDC on this thread, the VAST majority of gastrointestinal illnesses are caused by norovirus. I think if you get a GI bug in winter, it is presumed to be noro unless proven otherwise. If you call the medical center and describe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, you have a diagnosis of noro.

Increasing your vitamin D levels upregulates immune function. I take 5000 iu's of D3 a day. One should have a 25OohD level of around 50 ( a cheap blood test will give you your level )

I board the Equinox in two months for 25 nights....I hope they get it cleaned up and back to normal!

Nope ... ethanol according to the MSDS database.

I am looking at a container of wet ones and it says Benzethonium Chloride.

This is what wikipdia says:

Benzethonium chloride exhibits a broad spectrum of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, mold and viruses. Independent testing shows that benzethonium chloride is highly effective against such pathogens as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, Escherichia coli, Clostridium difficile, hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and norovirus

I am looking at a container of wet ones and it says Benzethonium Chloride.

This is what wikipdia says:

Benzethonium chloride exhibits a broad spectrum of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, mold and viruses. Independent testing shows that benzethonium chloride is highly effective against such pathogens as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, Escherichia coli, Clostridium difficile, hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and norovirus

It may be true, but one should not trust their health to Wikipedia as anyone can enter/change data.

Hi Curious Jane! I was on the same Solstice cruise. As a matter of fact I was on the same plane from Toronto and came up to introduce myself because of recognizing your group from Cruise Critic. Told your husbands at the airport in FLL that you didn't realize that you were standing behind Kevin Bacon for an hour or so going through immigration in T.O.

We are flying out od T.O. Feb 8th for a cruise on the Silhouette on the 10th.

We had a great time on the Solstice and I'm sure the Eqinox will be very clean as well. In a way you are better off having an outbreak before you get on because of the deep cleaning plus everyone on your cruise is more aware of the Noro.

Have a great time

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for your encouraging words. We didn't come back through Toronto so I don't think we've met. Maybe on the next one:) Have a great time on your cruise!

For everyone: After reading the comments about people not washing their hands before they leave the washroom, I was thinking ..... why doesn't the cruiseline post a pleasant person outside of every washroom and have everyone take a quick squirt of hand cleaner before they go on their way. My DH says he often sees men leave without washing their hands. I see women do it as well. If no one is singled out, I don't think anyone should be offended.

Giving us a squirt of hand cleaner before we enter the buffet just doesn't wipe out the germs that get spread during the rest of the day. Carnival has a paper dispenser on the way out of the washroom so you don't have to touch the door knob after you've washed your hands. Both of these strategies combined should help to decrease the incidence of infection. What does everyone think? Would you be offended if you had to take a squirt of hand cleaner after you left a washroom?

My sister and brother in law are onboard. Bro in law called mid afternoon Friay and said it was a sea of people with no place to sit. Apparently many people expected to enjoy the afternoon on the ship as usual and boarded at the normal times. My sister did not receive any information from X about delays but I've kept her posted thanks to CC - thanks to everyone who kept this thread updated! She called at 5:15 yesterday to say they were leaving the port but could not access their cabins yet. I'll update if/when she checks in.

Liz

Hi Liz

Any updates on how the ship is doing?

Thanks

Whenever I was using the public bathrooms on Equinox there was an attendant there reminding everyone to wash their hands.

Seriously? :eek: Isn't that pathetic that people have to be told to wash their hands after using the bathroom :rolleyes:....I grew up with that being routine hygiene, but as I mentioned earlier, I've seen women come out of the bathroom stall and right out the door...no handwashing and touching the door handle with unwashed hands. :eek:

We just got off the Equinox on Friday. I won't reiterate what my co-passengers reported here as they did a good job of reporting. I'll just add my additional observations.

So far we are fine both during the cruise and now - no Norovirus symptoms yet.

Regarding observations:

• We were told by a crew member that 50-60 cases were reported as of Wednesday (if it was that many per day as one poster reported - yikes! :eek:) and we also heard "69 cases" from a passenger.

• Many people did what I did. . . I always used a paper towel to press the "handicap" button in public bathrooms to open the door upon exit. If no waste basket by door, I ran it back to the basket and then went out the door while it was still open. When a public bathroom was staffed, the attendant pressed the button for us. I didn't observe anyone not washing and soaping hands after bathroom use although many did this less than the recommended 20+ seconds (started & ended before I did).

• Some people were refusing the hand sanitizer when entering the Ocean View cafe. Crew members stressed it, but couldn't force them. I didn't notice that when entering the MDR or other areas where crew stressed or offered it. We routinely sanitized before entering and after exiting a public area where a sanitizer machine or crew member with sanitizer was available.

• Not everyone was sanitizing a machine in the fitness center before and after use. We do this as a routine "best practice" on and off ships. On the last sea day, attendants were sanitizing machines (inconsistently though) after they saw someone finish with an aerobic machine but not the weight/resistance machines. I stopped using the weight/resistance machines on the last few days of the cruise as I was already taking a chance with the elliptical trainer and bikes even though I sanitized before and after.

• Not everyone was sanitizing the Celebrity Online iLounge keyboards before and after use. Sanitizer wipes were readily available in the iLounge, nearly at every set of two laptops. My observation is only based on the last day when we were printing our boarding passes as we didn't use the iLounge on other days. At this point, we were in level 3 or red alert status.

• I took Wet Ones wipes on the cruise with benzethonium chloride .3% in it. Before the cruise, we used them on the plane for the tray and in the hotel. Upon entry into the cabin, I used 4-5 wipes to wipe down all metal fixtures, racks, and holders in the bathroom plus the toilet; the tv remote control; telephone; safe; all drawers inside & outside; balcony rails and walls where chairs hit; cabin door knobs; light switches; and many other plastic and metal fixtures and objects. I removed the decorative pillows from the bed and when our stateroom attendant came to the door to introduce himself, I told him no decorative pillows were to placed on the bed during the cruise since they are not washed from cruise to cruise and we have no idea whose head or foot was there before us. Of course, he forgot several times during the cruise. I was happy to see the decorative pillows and already dirty (upon arrival) dust ruffle removed near the end of the cruise.

• Equinox sold the Wet Ones in the liquor store and logo store where they sold aspirin, toothpaste, etc.

• Many people, including us, started using straws even with glasses of water on the last few days of the cruise.

• Around 8 days into the cruise, our stateroom attendant started asking us more often "how we were doing" with more of a concern in his voice versus the usual chipper inquiry. Starting to hear rumors about Norovirus around that time, I realized what he was really asking, so I told him, "We are very well, and you might be happy to hear that we have no Norovirus problems." His responsive tone suggested that he was happy to hear that and it answered what he was really asking us. I repeated this daily during the rest of the cruise.

• Celebrity canceled the brunch in the MDR on the 2nd last sea day due to Norovirus. During the last two full days (starting at lunch time I think) and debarkation day, they served us in all eating locations including the MDR of course, Ocean View cafe, Aqua Spa cafe, and Elite lounge in Tuscan Grille. We couldn't even get our own water, ice tea, coffee, tea, and napkin-wrapped silverware. No bread basket in MDR for last 2 days and no salt & pepper shakers on last/sea day and debarkation day (Thursday & Friday).

• The last sea day they used a different/additional hand sanitizer. They had the normal sanitizer in the machines upon entry into the MDR, but in addition, the crew members stationed at the MDR door squirted a different smelling (not alcohol smell) sanitizer into our hands. We basically avoided the Ocean View cafe, except for tea break, on the last sea day and debarkation day.

• We were able to debark the ship on Friday at 7:20am, with some people leaving at 7:15am or a little before, with Express departure. Our pre-arranged "Welcome Ft. Lauderdale" driver to the airport said they were notified of the likelihood of debarkation/embarkation delays due to an alert of some type, for which we informed him was Norovirus.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Kathy

Regarding observations:

• Some people were refusing the hand sanitizer when entering the Ocean View cafe. Kathy

A very thorough analysis Kathy, just one thing, although I am sure was not the case for many who were ignoring good advice, if I had been on the cruise, I would have been refusing the sanitizer as I am seriously allergic to it on my skin

A very thorough analysis Kathy, just one thing, although I am sure was not the case for many who were ignoring good advice, if I had been on the cruise, I would have been refusing the sanitizer as I am seriously allergic to it on my skin

Do you have something you can bring? Maybe search online or someone here can answer? A few years ago, my chronic hand sanitizing (yes, somewhat of a germo-phobe!) caused chapped hands. Last couple years not so much / no chapped hands. I was enough of a phobe to accept from the crew member doing the squirting and from the machine! Double sanitizing before and after in many cases. And that was even before I knew there was Norovirus half-way through the cruise.

Kathy,

Thank you so much for your excellent post! Did the casino stay open during this red alert? I would think that would be a germ spreader!

Good question. I did not pay attention to the casino. I passed it enough and walked through it, one would think I would notice! Maybe one of my fellow passengers on the cruise can respond. Yes, that would be a germ spreader! Take you sanitizer wipes with "bc." The fitness center was not closed, but attendants on hand for some due but inconsistent diligence. Maybe the casino did the same? Now that I think about it, there were people using the machines on the last night when we were in level 3/red alert status.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so much for your excellent post! Did the casino stay open during this red alert? I would think that would be a germ spreader!

Kathy, thank you for your post. We were also on the Equinox and were healthy throughout the cruise. The casino remained open, and pretty busy throughout the cruise whenever they were out of port.

We received the additional notices about the virus and heard the Captains announcements, as well as noticed the paper goods, decorative pillows, and bed skirt disappear for cleaning, but no one in our group experienced any issues will illness. As you said, if one takes the proper precautions and cleans their hands thoroughly before touching their face or mouth, they stand an excellent chance of remaining healthy.

Other than not being able to serve ourself in the buffet area for lunch, it was pretty much a non event for our group.

Archived