Total Immersion?

cruzincat50

Lets be honest. Doing a cruise to Hawaii and visiting a port for a couple of hours at a time is not total immersion.

Does being on a Mediterranean cruise mean you have seen Europe? I think not. You need to spend at least a couple of weeks in a place to get a real feel for it, not drift around from port to port.

Saying that, I will take Hawaiian music over steel drums any day of the week. If you actually visit and stay on the Islands you can find some very good cd's by excellent local musicians that will be nothing like what you will hear piping through the ship.

I recommend the OP get an iPod or other MP3 player, a really good pair of earbuds that occlude ambient sounds, and load it up with the kind of music HE likes to enjoy while he is out and about on the ship.

Problem solved!!!

Just a suggestion ......

That version of "Over the Rainbow" is by the iconic (and sadly late) Izzy.

I just wonder if you are invited to a school recital' date=' would it bother you to listen to classical pieces you may not be familiar with or other types of music. Maybe you shouldn't see the movie "The Descendants" which is filled with traditional Hawaiian music.[/color']

Search on Itunes and there are lots of versions for Over the Rainbow with a Hawaiian theme. I would NEVER EVER go to a school recital that lasted five days straight. Would you?

I was just at the California Adventure Park (the sister park to Disneyland) a couple of weekends ago as my daughter's band was performing there. I'm not a Disney fan' date=' but I knew I would be hearing a lot of Disney music that day. But even then, the song on the street car was "California, Here I Come," and when some of us were sitting outside the building where the kids were changing out of their band outfits, we were watching the Alice in Wonderland Show, which featured non-Disney songs (eg. "Move Like Jagger"). Later on, we had nearly front row seats at the major light show, which featured, surprise, songs from Disney movies. We were all singing, "A Whole New World." [/color']

I took my kids to the grand opening of Toontown. I was traumatized for life ;)

Ok, so, the OP is not a bad person for not wanting to hear an immersion of Hawaiian music. As they said later on, it would have been easier if they were renditions of music they have heard before. I understand that...it's easier to appreciate something if you have some sort of familiarity. Even a smidgeon. Hawaiian music is very unique.

An analogy would be if you have never eaten anything prepared with curry, and your introduction was a two week long curry feast with almost every meal having curry in it somewhere. If you only had to try some familiar dish with curry in it once, you might want to expand your tastes. If you were only given foods you haven't ever eaten, and had curry every meal, after a few days, you'd probably learn to dislike the taste.

Sorry, I'm only good with food analogies. ;-)

We thought it was very strange to have a Caribbean based band playing for sail away out of Copenhagen for the Baltic cruise.....just sounds very, very odd even though it was July. Also on that same cruise we cracked up laughing when we were in Stockholm. Coming through the building to get to the ship, of course ABBA was playing. We said to the 2 female security guards that they had terrific music to listen to and they looked at us and groaned and said that they only played that 1 CD of ABBA over and over again. I do love ABBA but I can see where it would get very tiring after awhile lol.

Search on Itunes and there are lots of versions for Over the Rainbow with a Hawaiian theme. I would NEVER EVER go to a school recital that lasted five days straight. Would you?

Most likely the versions you see (I don't have any Apple stuff, so I don't go on Itunes) are either Izzy's or inspired by Izzy. Even Elua, when they were performing that song, gave kudos to him.

And I've been to many musical recitals over the years (my daughter took piano and vocal lessons at a music school that would have all the kids performing -- even the little ones) and have helped out at the play production rehearsals when my daughter was in the musicals. So I'm fine with attending them and wouldn't fuss about hearing the same kind of music over and over again.

And as I stated above, was on the holiday sailing (we left the Golden on the same day that you got on), and I'm not into Christmas music (and yes, have sat through many a school holiday concert over the years), but I wouldn't go on a holiday cruise (and we've been on three of them) and complain about the music. To my family (and we all play instruments), music is an important part of a cruise, whether we sit in a lounge and listen to a guitarist, whether we go see a production show in the Princess Theater, whether we check out the navigation channel on the in-cabin TV and hear a jazz tune playing. I just don't see the reason to complain about something like that, IMO. Next time, bring a loaded Ipod and tune out the world. Most of the rest of us will be enjoying the live music.

Also on that same cruise we cracked up laughing when we were in Stockholm. Coming through the building to get to the ship, of course ABBA was playing. We said to the 2 female security guards that they had terrific music to listen to and they looked at us and groaned and said that they only played that 1 CD of ABBA over and over again. I do love ABBA but I can see where it would get very tiring after awhile lol.

Think of the deck attendents and bar staff near MUTS who have heard the Tina Turner concert an uncountable number of times.

Golden Princess Hawaiian cruise on 1/2/2013.

How many of us go to Hawaii to become totally immersed in the Hawaiian culture versus just going to Hawaii to enjoy the scenery, the weather and the beaches? Besides being ill on this cruise, I was getting sick of hearing non-stop Hawaiian music being piped throughout the ship. This was constant until we left Hawaii and we were heading back east.

I understand that some people like to get totally involved with the destination, such as taking ukelele lessons, hula lessons and the like. Those situations can be avoided by people who don't care for such things. But the experience of walking through the public areas and hearing non stop music of one style that most, if not all the people on the ship can't recognize, gets old after nine days of it. It was refreshing to me when it changed over to "normal" elevator music.

Wow... this is a first... someone not liking the Hawaiian music... on a Hawaiian cruise.

I've been on Hawaiian cruises where there is very little Hawaiian culture or music. I might as well be in the ocean going in circles, you'd never know there was a destination. One of those cruises was on Cunard... although we completely enjoyed the ship, we missed the Hawaiian atmosphere.

We have been on the Golden four times to Hawaii... and have enjoyed each one. Hawaiian music is beautiful and relaxing, and that's why I'm on vacation... to relax.

AND.. even the Golden, has a great piano player and a quintette that both play in the Piazza... they are not playing Hawaiian music. I would venture to say that most people going to Hawaii, completely enjoy the total experience... the music, UKE classes, Lei making, Hula lessons, and lectures. Keep in mind that many are Europeans that have never been to Hawaii.

Obviously, you don't have to participate. there are tons of places on the ship, inside and out, where you can get away from the activities.

I try not to complain when every cruise in the Caribbean features at least one rendition of HOT, HOT, HOT. I remember when that song first came out in the Caribbean and it was on the radio all the time. It's still a huge hit.

Gee, what would a trip be to the Caribbean without local music and some steel drums thrown in?

But, I do understand some folks would like a change of pace over a steady diet.

Yah just can't please all of the people all of the time. So all you can expect is to please most of the people most of the time. Hope to OP finds happiness on his next sailing.

I'll take Hawaiian music on a cruise to Hawaii any day ...but please don't disturb my quiet early morning with those loud Zumba classes on the pool deck. I thought that was awful and intrusive. (Sapphire, Christmas 2012 Cruise to Hawaii) Are they still doing that?

Maddle

I try not to complain when every cruise in the Caribbean features at least one rendition of HOT, HOT, HOT. I remember when that song first came out in the Caribbean and it was on the radio all the time. It's still a huge hit.

Gee, what would a trip be to the Caribbean without local music and some steel drums thrown in?

But, I do understand some folks would like a change of pace over a steady diet.

Yah just can't please all of the people all of the time. So all you can expect is to please most of the people most of the time. Hope to OP finds happiness on his next sailing.

It seemed like on every Carnival cruise I've been, I'd heard that song zillions of times. I was so sick of that song that by the time I was planning my wedding, I forbade the owner of the reception hall from playing that song on that day (his usual schedule was the conga line to "Hot Hot Hot." So I said Not Not Not...but then I also decided not to use the standard "Here Comes the Bride" and asked the advice of an old family friend who was a music reporter for something more classy and used his pick of "Spring" by Vivaldi).

My husband and I have cruised to Hawaii 8 times, most of the time it was the 14 or 15 day cruises from San Pedro and twice it was a stop over on the 28-29 day cruises. The cruises we have enjoyed the most are the ones they call "The Aloha Experience" on the Golden with ELUA. We enjoyed seeing, talking (sort of), playing uke, learning hula, etc. so much that we did it again. It's also enjoyable just to cruise to Hawaii but for us we wanted to have it all. We've never had piped music into our room. It does seem like you'll hear Hawaiian music in the Horizon Court upstairs. We liked it best when they did the Hawaiian theme both going and coming back to LA.

Neither my husband or I played the ukulele but he took the lessons and the next time I took them. We enjoyed that so much, we bought our own ukes and belong to a Hawaiian jam type group that meets in Ventura once a week. Several folks there are from Hawaii and I've even played an song or two in Hawaiian. (not well but you'd be able to recognize them if you knew Hawaiian songs) IF you don't want that much experience there are plenty of other things you can see and do on the ships. On the menu in the dining rooms they have some sort of symbol next to dishes that are polynesian.

Sorry for the gentleman who was sick and "locked up" in his cabin. That had to be awful. I do travel with my Kindle Fire and IPad2 just in case. Last cruise there were about 20 of us that played the uke and brought our own. We'd jam in the mornings in rooms that weren't being used and moved if we disturbed folks. This was a 28 day cruise and we gained more members playing as the cruise progressed and folks bought ukes. One of the perormers on the cruise joined us and then we really grew and did play lots of music (not Hawaiian). That can always happen on one of these cruises but we did try to pick a quiet corner.

Cruisin Oldies

I for one am totally looking forward to the "total immersion" on the Golden on March 27! In fact, I would love to start the musical immersion as soon as possible (helping to give some final clues to DW leading up to the big day). Anyone know where I can get an Elua CD or if their music is available on iTunes or somewhere else? (I would especially like to be listening with DW to Elua's rendition of Izzy's Over the Rainbow.)

All the Hawaiian posts and threads on here rave about Elua. That's wonderful that there is such a fan base. I hope to catch them on a cruise someday!

But...what is the Hawaiian experience like on the other itinerary? I'm not going on the Golden, I'm going on the Grand. Did Princess hire other entertainers for the Grand who aren't good enough for review?

??

I for one am totally looking forward to the "total immersion" on the Golden on March 27! In fact, I would love to start the musical immersion as soon as possible (helping to give some final clues to DW leading up to the big day). Anyone know where I can get an Elua CD or if their music is available on iTunes or somewhere else? (I would especially like to be listening with DW to Elua's rendition of Izzy's Over the Rainbow.)

I checked iTunes and did not see anything from ELUA listed. But here are a few more suggestions (by artist). Go to iTunes and click on a song to listen to the styles.

IZ (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)

Keali'i Reichel

Brothers Cazimero

Makaha Sons of Niihau

Na Leo (girl group)

HAPA

Willie K

Beamer (brothers)

Amy Hanai'ali'i Gilliom

Jake Shimabukuro (Ukulele master)

Raiatea Helm

Tia Correre

Slack Key Masters (title of albums) / Won Grammy Awards

This should give you lots to research.

Good luck.

Yes, I am cruising on the Golden just to be immersed in Hawaiiana, ELUA, and David Cole.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Another source is "It's Aloha Friday no work till Monday" by the Crater Boys which Dave (ELUA) plays in the atrium. It's on Youtube if you want to hear it first. I think it was .$99 on Amazon when I got it for the Kindle.

Real catchy and gets you in the mood.

Cruisisn Oldies

Just be thankful you can hear the MUSIC! I lost my hearing almost 13 yrs ago, and would LOVE to hear ANY music at this point! JUST SAYING!!!

I was on the 14 day Grand Hawaiian Sailing on Dec 5th..Wish I could have heard the music!

I am not critizing the postings, just a reminder to be thankful with what you have because you could loose it anytime!

Here are a couple of internet sites (you could just have it playing on your computer when "she" walks in...

http://www.hawaiian105.com/

http://www.alohajoe.com/

I think what you are doing is so fun.

Renee

Thanks, Renee! Your posts have been a great resource to me throughout this planning process. It's definitely fun -- although I must confess that it has become an obsession.

Thanks also to Cruisin' Oldies for your tips. Now I need to start looking up some of those sites...

Thanks, Renee! Your posts have been a great resource to me throughout this planning process. It's definitely fun -- although I must confess that it has become an obsession.

Thanks also to Cruisin' Oldies for your tips. Now I need to start looking up some of those sites...

I am so glad that I can be a part of this process. Always willing to help (kokua). Hope this makes up for OP's original concerns. There is so much Aloha Spirit out there. Got to share the wealth!

Renee

Here's a link to the blog that Dave does:

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com/

Maybe there's info somewhere on it on how to order their CDs before your cruise:

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com/

They will have the CDs available on board (look in the Patters for "Lei Making with Leialoha" -- Dave will have his CDs there for purchase).

Archived