Nicest thing another cruiser has done for you!

Texancruisers

I'm always so happy when other passengers offer to take photos of us. It's such an easy and kind gesture to help a stranger to capture a memory.

We've also met some awesome people through CC. We once attended a nightly wine party in a suite, whereas everyone brought a bottle each night and the hosts provided snacks. Some people have arranged to link reservations to form CC tables. A few people have brought handmade gifts for the rollcall. My favorite gift ever was a personalized totebag with a photo of the ship and my name on it. To those of you who have made our cruises truly special...THANK YOU!:D:):D:)

Hi CC Friends,

8435191065_869c59da9a.jpg

The nicest thing other

cruisers did was host a

fabulous party

in their

Owner's Suite

for our

very large group

of Cruise Critics

a few years

ago on

Pride of America's

inaugural cruise from

San Francisco to Hawaii.

8436277294_5a3d540886.jpg

These kind folks owned

a winery and even brought

along specially labeled

Pride of America

inaugural bottles

as commemorative gifts

for everyone in

our group...

8435198031_247ed76832.jpg

...it was an

amazing party !!

Oh, and you

may also be

familiar with

some of their

other social

escapades...

8436284662_be96bd1512.jpg

Like Paul Harvey

used to say...

8435198783_30abd6b527.jpg

"...And now you know

the rest

of the story !"

Cheers,

Gary and Carol

Oh that cracked me up, we were also a guest of mikalea and tareq on the sapphire princess in 2005, same thing wine supplied. Must have been a tax write off was all we could come up with! We have def been bemused with the antics that have gone on over the years!

A friend had passed away and her funeral was on while we were on our cruise. As a tribute I purchased a red rose and planed to throw it over board, while sitting a lady commented on what a lovely rose. I told her the circumstances and she took a photo. She asked me my room number and the next day I found a photo under my door with a lovely note that she was thinking of me an my loss, it was so very thoughtful and meant so much

8436277294_5a3d540886.jpg

These kind folks owned

a winery and even brought

along specially labeled

Pride of America

inaugural bottles

as commemorative gifts

for everyone in

our group...

8435198031_247ed76832.jpg

...it was an

amazing party !!

Oh, and you

may also be

familiar with

some of their

other social

escapades...

8436284662_be96bd1512.jpg

Like Paul Harvey

used to say...

8435198783_30abd6b527.jpg

"...And now you know

the rest

of the story !"

Cheers,

Gary and Carol

That is awesome. I hope that they are on my cruise!!!

We hear lots of stories about how rude some people are...and I have a few of my own. However, I thought it would be nice to mention the experiences that were memorable and worthy of praise. I remembered something REALLY nice and much appreciated that a couple did on our Alaska cruise.

They invited the entire CC meet and mingle bunch to their Penthouse Suite/balcony for champagne and hor dourves the afternoon we were sailing away from a glacier!! That was such a treat for us and we have appreciated their generosity ever since!! We each received a nice printed invitation that was place in our cabins. It was VERY special.

We hear so much negativity now days, I thought it might be refreshing to discuss just how nice most people are and what they did that impressed you!!!

We also were on a cruise recently. A lovely couple occupying the penthouse invited a few of us to a 40th anniversary party. The penthouse was beautiful and they served wonderful drinks and food to all who attended.

This couple was active on our pre cruise sailing blog.

Some friends who we met on CC were on a cruise a few weeks before ours.

They arranged for an 'Eclipse Teddy Bear' to be left on our son's bed as a present for him.

Even though he was only 8 months old, I will always remember the smile on his face when he picked it up.

Thank you uktog!

Julie Jean

The wife and I were taking a bus from London to Harwich to catch a RCL transatlantic with a bunch of cruise critic members we met on the roll call. We realized we had forgotten our passports and left them in our London hotel.

While I was calling the hotel there were 2 couples on the bus that were traveling with a 3rd couple who had not left London yet - each couple got on their phone and called their friend and his hotel until they got in touch with him.

The hotel found our passports and agreed to give them to our new best friend who stopped and got them and brought them to us in Harwich.

I had to force all three couples to let me at least buy them a drink.

Aren't roll calls great!

I had just lost my Mother, 13 days after 9/11, and although was looking forward to my cruise, even the ship could not lift me from my depression. I was at the pool and an older lady and her husband were sitting on the next 2 lounges, and started a conversation ith me... When they found out I was from NY. Of course the conversation went to 9/11... And I told them about losing my Mom.

The next day a package was delivered to my cabin... It was a box full of crystal angels .. With the most beautiful note from this couple. I still have it and the note in my curio cabinet until this day!

This isn't a fellow cruiser story, but it is a fellow traveler story. My daughter and I were in Antigua, Guatemala. We went on a volcano tour with a local company. We thought the price we paid for the trip covered everything, so we didn't bring any cash with us. None of us on the trip realized that we would all have to ante up the equivalent of about $15 per person to pay for the parking for the van we were one. There was some argument from others on the tour with the van driver, since none of us had been warned of this extra expense. Eventually, though, we all had to pay. 2 young men from Australia kindly offered to loan us the money, and they didn't know us from adam. We made a point to have them go with us to an ATM as soon as the van got back to town so we could pay them back. Then all 4 of us went together to the tour operators office to complain. (Not that it made a bit of difference, we didn't get reimbursed, but at least we felt that we got it of our chest!)

I think the spirit of this thread is to pass it on! I put the OPs question to myself in the form of "what have I ever done for a fellow cruiser," and I can't really think of anything. I will try to keep this in mind on my next cruise!

I had just lost my Mother, 13 days after 9/11, and although was looking forward to my cruise, even the ship could not lift me from my depression. I was at the pool and an older lady and her husband were sitting on the next 2 lounges, and started a conversation ith me... When they found out I was from NY. Of course the conversation went to 9/11... And I told them about losing my Mom.

The next day a package was delivered to my cabin... It was a box full of crystal angels .. With the most beautiful note from this couple. I still have it and the note in my curio cabinet until this day!

That's so sweet!

Hi Rhonda:)..wow...maybe I am just having one of those moments

but that story made me cry.....

Enjoying all the nice stories!! We RV'd for MANY years. We don't have one friend to show for it!! Probably our fault. :confused: Who knows!! After we sold our RV and went back to cruising, we have met several great couples that we continue to enjoy, especially a couple from Phoenix!! ;) Cruisers are THE BEST!!!!

My congratulations goes to the ship officers themselves - we got married on the beach at a port of call and had not arranged anything with the ship but on the evening as 7 of us turned up for dinner, 2 officers were waiting for us and showed us into the restaurant.

The table was decorated, the band came round to play, they gave us champagne and the head chef had baked a gigantic cake. They sent the photographer and left pictures on our bed. Everything was complimentary and completely unexpected. Then to top it the captain came to say congratulations and stayed for cake and coffee.

we were overwhelmed - hence to say we have sailed with the cruise line may times since.

My first cruise (Alaska) was supposed to be an anniversary trip for my dad and step-mom, but my step-mom passed away unexpectedly before they could get far planning the trip. My dad wanted to scatter her ashes from the ship but there was a lot of concern about sending something overboard and we weren't sure if we would be able to do it. One of the crew members did his best and worked it out for us...he even performed a short ceremony for us as we said goodbye in a private area of the ship. I imagine for him it was just another task on his long list of to-dos, but for us it is an irreplaceable memory and we know that she's in the exact place she wanted to be. Plus, when I want to 'visit' her I get to go on a cruise instead of to a cemetery...what a cool legacy :)

I'm so happy to read the kind things that people have done for others when they saw there was a need. I would like to share a story that involved the kindness of my husband and friends. We were on our second cruise ever. The first one had been about 20 years before. We were traveling with a group of about 20 people. My husband had made fun of me for wanting to play the slot machines daily. I allotted myself $10.00 per day. I know that's not much, but it's what I could afford. After the first day, I won about $30.00, so my husband decided he would play. Every time he pulled the handle, he won. Boy did he rub it in. After about four days, he was up about $500.00. Unfortunately, one of our friends had a massive heart attack while we in Nassau. He had not felt well all week, and finally the doctor on the ship ran some test and confirmed his heart attack. He needed to get to a hospital right away. He and his wife didn't really have much cash, since the cruise was paid for and they planned on using credit cards for other things. He had two minor children still on the ship. The ambulance required $1200.00 immediately to transport him. We also new he would have to pay upfront for the hospital. My husband didn't think twice about opening his wallet and giving my them all the cash he had. Other friends started donating their cash. My friends wife would need to eat and find a place to stay while he was in the hospital. I can not say enough good things about Carnival Cruise lines and how they treated the children and our entire group. The Carnival representatives had all the needed paperwork ready for the mom to sign over temporary custody of her children. One of our friends stepped right up and took responsibility for the children, even though both had medical needs. A representative from Carnival went to the hospital with our friends and kept in constant contact. The children were allowed to use the ships phone to talk to their mom several times a day. A representative from the cruise lines kept us all informed about our friend's medical condition. The room stewards and servers were made aware of the situation and treated the children like royalty. When we returned home, we were allowed to leave the ship first. Even after my friends flew back to the US for heart surgery, the cruise line stayed in contact. (They did have to charter a medical plane.)

I am proud to be friends with all those that helped and prayed for my friend during his medical crisis. I do advise everyone to purchase travel insurance. Even though my friends did eventually get reimbursed for most of their expenses from their insurance company, they had to initially put out almost $20,000.00 out of their pocket.

What great stories. Mine is a lost-and-found story with a happy ending.

On embarkation day on the Carnival Freedom a couple years ago, I took off a diamond ring and put it in my pocket in order to put on sunscreen. A couple hours later, when I remembered it, it was gone. We had been all over the ship by the time I realized it was gone, so there was no way to retrace our steps to where it might have fallen out of my pocket.

Witout much hope, I stopped by guest services on that busy embarkation day and described the ring. The woman I spoke to went into a back office and came back with my ring, carefully wrapped in tissue and labeled with the cabin number of the person who found it. I was amazed that it had been found at all and so grateful that that it was turned in.

I called their cabin to thank them and offered them a steak house dinner on me.

On a celebrity Balkans cruise many years ago, we specifically requested in advance, a table near the door as I am extremely allergic to perfumes and other scented products.

The special services staff paid no attention to the request, and we were assigned to a large table in the middle of the dining room. We made our excuses and were headed to room service when an elderly (about the age we are now) couple we had met at a cruise critic party as we sailed off waived us over and asked why we were leaving so soon. We explained, and they invited us to join them. They were Elite cruisers, and had requested a table for two, but were given a table for 8 right next to the door all to themselves.

They had us reassigned to their table permanently, and we enjoyed their company for the cruise and several years thereafter.

We are not huge fans of Celebrity, but have cruised fairly often on other ships, and some of our dearest friends today are other couples we met cruising.

Some friends who we met on CC were on a cruise a few weeks before ours.

They arranged for an 'Eclipse Teddy Bear' to be left on our son's bed as a present for him.

Even though he was only 8 months old, I will always remember the smile on his face when he picked it up.

Thank you uktog!

Julie Jean

Awwww Julie Jean ... that is lovely! Just wait til your boys come on a NZ cruise :) xxx

This was actually on a Princess (Emerald) Cruise. I was in the pool playing volleyball and was wearing a emerald and white gold pinky ring that was a gift from my partner.

The ring must have come right off from all the suntan lotion and one of my great serves of the volleyball. An hour into the game I realized it was gone. I freaked out and my heart sank. Before you knew it, the entire pool area, if not the Lido Deck, was looking for my ring. Children were diving to the bottom of the pool with masks searching. After 15 minutes, I began to lose all hope. One of the deck attendants offered to keep searching but advised me to report it to the Purser's Desk in case it was found.

As I was leaving two little girls came to me what color is the ring. I described it to them and she opened her hand and there it was. I was thrilled. She said she found it at the bottom of the hot tub she was in. The ring flew all the way over into the hot tub.

I asked the sisters to point out their parents. They brought me to their mother and I told her how grateful I was that her daughters found my ring. I then explained to her that I have to show my appreciation somehow, but her mother kept saying that it wasn't necessary. She also lost a ring and it was found, so we were even.

I thanked the two girls and was able to find out their cabin number and names. I went to the ship store, Calypso Cove, and bought them boxes of chocolates and teddy bears and a bunch of knick knacks I thought two eight-year-old girls would like. I then explained to the shop girl what happened with my ring. She was so nice and offered to make it into a gift basket and said she was off in a half hour. She would personally deliver it to the girls in their stateroom. I added a small thank you note and that was it.

Morale of the story: I will NEVER be one of those people that complain about children in a hot tub.

Archived