Kobe beef burger?

kimanjo

We were on the Regatta twice first time in 2007 & again in 2011 & were able to get a burger Med-Rare (pink).. It was wonderful! :D

Have they now done away with Med-Rare burgers?:(

There is a big discussion on the HAL board about their new burgers

since this thread is a year old I doubt the rules have changed

I believe the sign was still up in Jan but we like our burgers well done so never an issue for us

I am surprised you got them "PINK" on purpose ;)

Let's hope so...it is one of our favourite quick lunches...:D

We were on Regatta in February and Waves offered both the Kobe and the Surf & Turf ( at least from the menu's in the cabanas ). I had the Kobe once and wasn't impressed but the surf & turf was incredible.

Same as above except we were on the Regatta in January, Kobe was very very tender, but didn't seem to have much flavor. "but the surf & turf was incredible" ditto.

I had the Kobe burger several times at Waves on Riviera last November. Unremarkable burger, but loved the truffle flavour. It always came perhaps medium-well. I doubt if anyone will do a rare burger these days, although medium-rare might fly, not sure.

Many fine dinning establishments serve steak tartar so why no medium-rare or rare burgers?

I had the Kobe burger several times at Waves on Riviera last November. Unremarkable burger, but loved the truffle flavour. It always came perhaps medium-well. I doubt if anyone will do a rare burger these days, although medium-rare might fly, not sure.

I have had Kobe beef and I think it is the most over rated beef in the world. Too much money for too little gain. Last month on Marina I ordered my burgers med. rare and that is the way they came. Very pink in the center. No problem. :):)

Many fine dinning establishments serve steak tartar so why no medium-rare or rare burgers?

Because there have been problems with e-coli, etc., with rare meat. So in many cities (NY is one) restaurants are not legally permitted to serve rare meat, especially in hamburgers. That doesn't mean you cannot get them!

(I've never had a problem ordering a rare steak in NYC, and in fact just a few nights ago I ordered a rare filet mignon and it came out virtually raw. For once I sent it back. When I reheated the leftovers the next day, it was still very rare ... I think because it was about 2" tall ... but so far I'm fine.)

Some years ago I thought that Oceania was abiding by the "no rare meat" restriction, at least where Waves is concerned. Another problem is that -- I was told, I don't know if it is true -- that they precook the burgers, so it could be nigh impossible to get a rare one.

Mura

...Another problem is that -- I was told, I don't know if it is true -- that they precook the burgers, so it could be nigh impossible to get a rare one...

I think you're correct, I think they're partially precooked in order to save tIme, then finished on the griddle at Waves. My only problem with the burgers is thay arenfinished on a griddle; I much prefer a grill, preferably open flame. I've had burgers at Waves that were a tad too greasy for me, due to the griddle.

Of course, I may be a bit prejudiced since I used to own a store that specialized in BBQ grills...:rolleyes:

I think you're correct, I think they're partially precooked in order to save tIme, then finished on the griddle at Waves. My only problem with the burgers is thay arenfinished on a griddle; I much prefer a grill, preferably open flame. I've had burgers at Waves that were a tad too greasy for me, due to the griddle.

Of course, I may be a bit prejudiced since I used to own a store that specialized in BBQ grills...:rolleyes:

All I have seen are ones raw put on the flat-top. However they do cook up a number of flaoters to fill the gap in a rush... like just before 12. Hence If I am going to get a burger it will be around 10:45 or after 1

Grease is good....has flavor. A 80% burger will always taste better than a 85 or 90% 95% tastes like sawdust

And I do prefer charcoal flame broiled, not gas or propane,, but good old charcoal.

Don ...heres a secret to getting the steak house char on a charcoal grill, paint your meat with plain old mustard and put it on partialy frozen... the outside chars chrunchy ( no mustard taste) and the inside is jucy rare.... yummmm

Gas grills don't work unless they put out 25,000 btus per burner...preferably 36,000

As mentioned by someone earlier in another thread, the "Surf 'n Turf" sandwich had also been "discontinued"...so there were some changes to the Waves menu for sure.

I am sure this was mentioned last year. On Marina in October Surf n Turf sandwich was definitely available (Lobster tail & Filet).

I seem to remember FDR replied last year that is was avaible and there were no plans to remove it from the menu. However, let's see if anyone currently onboard has up to date info.

We got off Marina the end of Feb. and the surf and turf was sure on the menu. I had it more than I would admit to my wife. Some days I would have a burger with a side of lobster. Now I need to go on a major diet. All in all could not imagine any better food on a cruise ship. :):):)