Dress Code for Men

FlightMedic555

Got off the Regatta in Lima last week and I had concerns about the dress code prior to the trip. I thought I will pass along my thoughts.

For the Captain's reception about 75% of the men were wearing sport coats and of them, maybe 10% a suit with a tie. Those without sport coats (me) were universally wearing nice pants with a button down shirt.

In the grand dining room about 25% of the men would show up in a sport coat, about 50% with dockers or nicer pants with a button down shirt, and about 25% with dockers and a golf polo shirt.

In Polo and Toscana at least 50% of the men were wearing sport coats and the rest had nice pants and a button down shirt. If you wore a golf type polo shirt you would be the odd man out and might be uncomfortable.

In the Terrace Cafe anything goes. Even at night shorts and any shirt were fairly common although long pants and a collared shirt was worn by 75% of the men.

If I sailed on this ship again I would probably leave the sport coat at home (as I did this time) but I did feel a little uncomfortable without it the evening we were invited to dine with the captain.

Got off the Regatta in Lima last week and I had concerns about the dress code prior to the trip. I thought I will pass along my thoughts.

For the Captain's reception about 75% of the men were wearing sport coats and of them, maybe 10% a suit with a tie. Those without sport coats (me) were universally wearing nice pants with a button down shirt.

In the grand dining room about 25% of the men would show up in a sport coat, about 50% with dockers or nicer pants with a button down shirt, and about 25% with dockers and a golf polo shirt.

In Polo and Toscana at least 50% of the men were wearing sport coats and the rest had nice pants and a button down shirt. If you wore a golf type polo shirt you would be the odd man out and might be uncomfortable.

In the Terrace Cafe anything goes. Even at night shorts and any shirt were fairly common although long pants and a collared shirt was worn by 75% of the men.

If I sailed on this ship again I would probably leave the sport coat at home (as I did this time) but I did feel a little uncomfortable without it the evening we were invited to dine with the captain.

We didn't dine with the captain but we did have a drink on his tab! During the captain's reception, you can get complimentary drinks in most (all?) of the bars, including the Grand Bar. My husband brought his blazer and wore it two or three times in 37 days, when the weather was a little cool. He thinks it is a useful thing to bring for those occasions. He tends to wear an open neck dress shirt. No tie - didn't even bring one.

He does bring dressier shoes though, changing from his sports shoes into leather shoes.

We were on the Marina over Christmas/New Year's and this was our first Oceania cruise. I showed she who must be obeyed the threads on men's dress code and told here I was not taking a jacket and tie - lost most of that argument and ended up with a jacket that I only wore twice in 20 days.

My only complaint is the lack of enforcement of the dress code by the maitre de's - there I am enjoying dinner in Polo or Red Ginger, and I hear the voice across the table saying "see, there is a man wearing a tie; see, there is a man in a suit and tie; look, there is a man in a tuxedo!!!" The clear message is that she thinks I am under-dressed when in fact I meet the dress code exactly. So, I think it is time that the greeters at the door ask men with ties to remove them, and demand that any man wearing a tux go to Waves or order from room service - rules are rules and should be both obeyed and enforced:)

To all you men having this discussion with your spouse, tell them that taking a jacket only takes up valuable suitcase room that she could use for a few more pairs of shoes, or a couple of dresses. You definitely do not need one and I will never repeat my mistake of taking one.

The dress code and the smoking policy drew us to Oceania, and these factors along with the incredible service and food will keep us coming back

We were on the Marina over Christmas/New Year's and this was our first Oceania cruise. I showed she who must be obeyed the threads on men's dress code and told here I was not taking a jacket and tie - lost most of that argument and ended up with a jacket that I only wore twice in 20 days.

My only complaint is the lack of enforcement of the dress code by the maitre de's - there I am enjoying dinner in Polo or Red Ginger, and I hear the voice across the table saying "see, there is a man wearing a tie; see, there is a man in a suit and tie; look, there is a man in a tuxedo!!!" The clear message is that she thinks I am under-dressed when in fact I meet the dress code exactly. So, I think it is time that the greeters at the door ask men with ties to remove them, and demand that any man wearing a tux go to Waves or order from room service - rules are rules and should be both obeyed and enforced:)

To all you men having this discussion with your spouse, tell them that taking a jacket only takes up valuable suitcase room that she could use for a few more pairs of shoes, or a couple of dresses. You definitely do not need one and I will never repeat my mistake of taking one.

The dress code and the smoking policy drew us to Oceania, and these factors along with the incredible service and food will keep us coming back

TOO FUNNY...

DH does take a jacket but this trip he said not to bother

You can always tell the new people to Oceania they are the ones in fancy dresses & Tuxes

Very well put!!! And the percentages are the same as my recollection.

I, too, wore my blazer over a polo shirt maybe 3 times in 18 nights...when i wanted to "dress up." Otherwise, it was khakis and polo shirt and I never felt out of place.

and yes - this is one reason why i love Oceania

TOO FUNNY...

DH does take a jacket but this trip he said not to bother

You can always tell the new people to Oceania they are the ones in fancy dresses & Tuxes

There are those on the cruise who LIKE getting dressed up, and that is absolutely ok if that is what they want.

Most men on the last cruise we were on were thankful they were able to dress more casually.,,,and that was "ok."

There are those on the cruise who LIKE getting dressed up, and that is absolutely ok if that is what they want.

Most men on the last cruise we were on were thankful they were able to dress more casually.,,,and that was "ok."

Some people dress up but regulars of Oceania do not seem to bring gowns & Tuxes do they???

No one that I have met anyway

It is very confusing for people new to Oceania ...the brochures show men in jackets & TIES & some very dressy looking outfits

So they are surprised that REAL people on the cruise are more relaxed in their dress

But if people like to dress fancy then they should do so

Lyn

We are about to take our first Oceania cruise. Since it is Riviera to Caribbean, I am assuming I have no need for a jacket for warmth in dining rooms, but wanted to check. However, I am also wondering if long or short sleeve button down shirts are most common in dining rooms and whether ship is heavily air conditioned such that one would want a long sleeve shirt or or even jacket...or is it usually quite comfortable in evenings on the ship in short sleeves? Thanks for any advice, especially related to Oceania's newer ships.

We are about to take our first Oceania cruise. Since it is Riviera to Caribbean, I am assuming I have no need for a jacket for warmth in dining rooms, but wanted to check. However, I am also wondering if long or short sleeve button down shirts are most common in dining rooms and whether ship is heavily air conditioned such that one would want a long sleeve shirt or or even jacket...or is it usually quite comfortable in evenings on the ship in short sleeves? Thanks for any advice, especially related to Oceania's newer ships.

It depends

I find the GDR cool then when it fills up it can be warm

DH has his own furnace & finds it warm anytime

Most men on the Caribbean cruises we have been on wear short sleeve shirts & some with jackets

It is a personal choice

I recently completed a similar itinerary on Riviera. I took a blazer but only wore it once and probably would not take one again. I wore long sleeved button downs most evenings but many men are in polo shirts. Sometimes I threw a light sweater on my shoulders but it was never so cool that I put it on. A few men wore jackets, very few wore ties, and some schlepped around in shorts and polo shirts or even tee shirts at night.

Our trip was from Miami to Lima. The button down shirts worn were universally short sleeve like Tommy Bahamas, etc.

BTW, I did see one man in a tux but to each his own.

I only began this thread to pass along my observations. Regardless of what the dress code is many of us want to fit in and knowing what is common helps along those lines.

TOO FUNNY...

Some people enjoy making an effort with their appearance, the dress code is a minimum guideline not an absolute.

My OH likes to wear a suit and actually would not feel totally comfortable, especially at the Captain's reception, in an open neck shirt and slacks.

After all the Officers always make an effort and look very smart on these occasions, isn't it respectful to do likewise?

Why do people seem to pay so much heed to what others are wearing, just because others prefer a different style it doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'newbies'.

Enjoy your cruise wearing what you feel comfortable in but please don't judge others who prefer a different style :)

Hi

What is a button down shirt :confused:

Is it a shirt with buttons (down the front) :)

or

one of those shirts in fashion years ago with button down shirt collar :eek:

Interesting point. I have always referred to button down shirts as long or short sleeved cotton shirts with button down collars. My 20 something sons refer to all pressed cotton shirts with buttons up the front as button down shirts. By the way, button down collars have NEVER gone out of style. Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren button down collar shirts are as popular as ever, either for wear with jackets and suits or more colorful, casual versions. I prefer a button down collar to a spread collar when not wearing a tie because they lay so nicely while spread collars can go flat or fly up.

Some people enjoy making an effort with their appearance, the dress code is a minimum guideline not an absolute.

My OH likes to wear a suit and actually would not feel totally comfortable, especially at the Captain's reception, in an open neck shirt and slacks.

After all the Officers always make an effort and look very smart on these occasions, isn't it respectful to do likewise?

My DH wears his blazer to the specialty restaurants & the 1 time we did have dinner with the Captain

We had a friend from "across the pond" who wore a long sleeve shirt & tie to high school ...he was the only one that did other than the teachers

He even wore his dress shirt in the heat of summer, sans tie

But as you say wear what you feel most comfortable with

It is just NOT required on Oceania

Lyn

I take exception to your comment

Most people DO make an effort in their appearance they just prefer not to wear ballgowns or TUXES

YMMV

I take exception to your comment

Most people DO make an effort in their appearance they just prefer not to wear ballgowns or TUXES

YMMV

Sorry no offence was intended, all I was saying it is guideline for people.

I agree people do dress nicely on Oceania.

No need to shout.

Not this newbie. I'm happy to heed the advice of folks on this board and have no problem leaving extra "dressier" clothes at home where they belong. :D

Why do people seem to pay so much heed to what others are wearing, just because others prefer a different style it doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'newbies'.

Enjoy your cruise wearing what you feel comfortable in but please don't judge others who prefer a different style :)

I am of this mind as well. I am on vacation and as long as I'm in adherence with the spirit and intent of the "guidelines", then I am good to go. I don't care what others wear and couldn't care less if they don't like what I'm wearing.

Actually, no. They are working, on-duty and wearing their prescribed uniforms.

I will be on vacation and will have left my 'uniforms' at home. :p

But, I agree... it is nice to do what pleases you whatever the occasion. ;)

Archived