Sistine or Coloseum

pastyboy

We will be in Rome for one day in April (last sunday in month) we would like to pre book a ticket for either the Sistine or the Coloseum but are not sure which one,Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Pastyboy

I would opt for the coloseum simply because of 'free day' at the vatican musuem. You cannot prebook a ticket to the sistine chapel on free days. :)

As Eurocruiser stated, the vatican museum will be crowded and the sistine chapel will be absolutely packed. Additionally, on 'free days', I have seen queues to enter the museum that stretched from the museum entrance all the way back to the basilica! That wait to enter the museum had to be at least 2 hours. :eek:

jill

The Colosseum does not hold a candle to the Sistine Chapel. The crowd is certainly a factor but the Sistine Chapel is one of those very special places on this earth.

For every opinion, an equal and opposite opinion...;)

In terms of age, historic significance, and state of the art engineering technology of the time, the Colosseum wins on all counts.

The Sistine chapel is a small room with some well-placed daubs of paint on the walls and ceiling. :eek:

Just kidding -- but my point is that what appeals to one person may not appeal to another as much. The only real way to make the decision is to do the research and see what appeals more.

I do agree that the fact of it being a "free Sunday" would put the Sistine chapel even lower in my own calculations.

We will be in Rome for one day in April (last sunday in month) we would like to pre book a ticket for either the Sistine or the Coloseum but are not sure which one,Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Pastyboy

Hi 'son' :) If it's any help here's what I did in the Colosseum

but perhaps you can do both ?

Michelangelo's work in the ceiling of the chapel is one of man's greatest achievements -- as are many of the other masterpieces (such as Raphael's works adorning the Pope's rooms) in the sprawling Vatican museums. Assuming you have not been to Rome, the problem is that you will spend a lot of time getting into the Museum complex and then walking through the corridors to get to the Chapel. (Consider that you would be indoors on what I hope will be a perfect spring day!)

I'd suggest going to the ancient part of Rome and visiting the Colosseum and the various fora near by. From there, you can head north to explore the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi, and Baroque churches galore before finally resting on the Spanish Steps. Then, you can hop on the Metro for a quick ride back to Termini! (The named sites are free to enjoy, and time may dictate which of the spots you have to omit.) Sound exhausting? It will be, but you will see many beautiful things and also experience a bit of Roman life.

Thanks Pastyboy

You can do both. Do the Coloseum in the AM. Do the Vatican at 2:00.

You can do both. Do the Coloseum in the AM. Do the Vatican at 2:00.

Can't do the vatican museum in the afternoon on a "free" Sunday ... the last entry is at 12:30 pm.

From the Vatican website:

Sunday (except the last Sunday of every month, free entrance from 9 am to 12.30 pm; the Museums close at 2 pm unless it coincides with Easter Sunday, the 29th of June (St. Peter and Paul), 25th and 26th of December (Christmas and St. Stephen)

Can't do the vatican museum in the afternoon on a "free" Sunday ... the last entry is at 12:30 pm.

From the Vatican website:

Sunday (except the last Sunday of every month, free entrance from 9 am to 12.30 pm; the Museums close at 2 pm unless it coincides with Easter Sunday, the 29th of June (St. Peter and Paul), 25th and 26th of December (Christmas and St. Stephen)

Then I would do the Vatican first and the Colosseum after. All I am saying is there is no reason not to do both.

I would never recommend going to the Vatican Museums on a free Sunday.

Never was there on a free Sunday so you might be right. I did the Vatican Museums in the evening and that was wonderful. I recommend that to anyone who is in Rome for more than a day. At 7:30pm we were alone in many parts of the museum and when I got to the Sistine Chapel there were about ten of us there. It did start to fill up while we were there. You really need to sit in the chapel on the benches on each side for a while to take it in.

I am so sorry you are arriving on a Free Sunday. I found the Vatican Museum to be absolutely amazing. The one hint I was given was to head straight for and start at the Sistine Chapel and then do the rest of the museum. We had the chapel almost to ourselves. We spent the entire day there and still missed a section.

It is a personal preference and crowds do deter me.

I am not a history buff so saw the Colloseum, and it was just okay.

Can you change your reservations and spend a couple of days in Rome?

Renee

I don't know how one should/could choose do both, we were able to do it. You can't do them at leisure but possible for sure.

I am going to be back there in October for a day and am doing both again because my friend who is coming on the cruise has never been to either. This time will be doing it with RomeinLimo and I am looking forward to being in the museum again. Booking an excursion or independent tour is a way to make sure it happens. Don't know about this Sunday thing though. If they book with RomeinLimo I am sure they will get good advise from them about whether to do the Vatican that day.

Michelangelo's work in the ceiling of the chapel is one of man's greatest achievements -- as are many of the other masterpieces (such as Raphael's works adorning the Pope's rooms) in the sprawling Vatican museums. Assuming you have not been to Rome' date=' the problem is that you will spend a lot of time getting into the Museum complex and then walking through the corridors to get to the Chapel. (Consider that you would be indoors on what I hope will be a perfect spring day!)

I'd suggest going to the ancient part of Rome and visiting the Colosseum and the various fora near by. From there, you can head north to explore the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi, and Baroque churches galore before finally resting on the Spanish Steps. Then, you can hop on the Metro for a quick ride back to Termini! (The named sites are free to enjoy, and time may dictate which of the spots you have to omit.) Sound exhausting? It will be, but you will see many beautiful things and also experience a bit of Roman life.[/quote']

+1! Sounds like a perfect day in Rome!

• 3 weeks later...

On the last Sunday of the Month, unless you arrive super early AM to stand in line, getting into the Vatican Museums will take a long time in line. With the Colosseum visit you can buy the tickets online in advance, and probably the time it would take you just to get into the Vatican Museums....you could have gone into the Colosseum for a nice long visit.

Archived