Alesund some advice please

Thank you - that is very helpful. I could not find a map of the train route so now I have it I can compare with the bus. I presume the train is also hop on hop off? I would like to visit the viewpoint and Alesund Church and have a general walk around the town. We are not experienced cruisers so this is all new too us! Finding the research time consuming and this is the first port I am researching. I also find the ships tours too expensive so would prefer to do as much on out own.

Thank you - that is very helpful. I could not find a map of the train route so now I have it I can compare with the bus. I presume the train is also hop on hop off? I would like to visit the viewpoint and Alesund Church and have a general walk around the town. We are not experienced cruisers so this is all new too us! Finding the research time consuming and this is the first port I am researching. I also find the ships tours too expensive so would prefer to do as much on out own.

Ships tours are always expensive. We do lots of private tours and find participants on the roll calls to share the costs.

Rehearsing for cruises are half the fun for me. It does take up lots of time but I dont mind:)

The train is not a hop on/off but they do schedule a 10-15 minute stop at the viewpoint.

The church is very easy to get to by walking.

I cant remember if it was on this thread or the thread in my signature that has a walking tour posted...

Happy planning:-)

If it's a lovely day we plan on going to the Sunnmore open-air museum. We will be there on a Wednesday and it looks as though they have family activities in the afternoon. Apart from the Ho-Ho bus what is the best way to get there? Thanks

If it's a lovely day we plan on going to the Sunnmore open-air museum. We will be there on a Wednesday and it looks as though they have family activities in the afternoon. Apart from the Ho-Ho bus what is the best way to get there? Thanks

Either taxi or the bus. The bus runs every 30 minutes from the bus terminal close to the cruise pier.

We just got back from the Land of the Midnight Sun and after copious notes and plans to DIY, discovered that we were at NY Alesund, which is NOT the same port as Alesund!!! Oh my! It was quite a shock when I opened the drapes! :eek:

What I expected to see:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSpOrtiy8oWiQ3ygEarHTrNNLuZ-6RgMvuEFNrNMiJTF_pVwLjfg

What I saw:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB8JT-zPz2u7l1cpGktmMPPHHjaoCAUnHILwWIqcTthyDqFCGJ

It was very interesting and I'm so glad I saw it, but there wasn't a HOHO sight seeing train! :D It is a research station with 35 permanent residents. Everyone that worked there had a rifle strapped to their back to protect from Polar Bears! The NY in front of Alesund made a really big difference!!! It means "New" Alesund.

Moral of the story is, make sure which Alesund you're going to! :o

We just got back from the Land of the Midnight Sun and after copious notes and plans to DIY, discovered that we were at NY Alesund, which is NOT the same port as Alesund!!! Oh my! It was quite a shock when I opened the drapes!

What I expected to see:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSpOrtiy8oWiQ3ygEarHTrNNLuZ-6RgMvuEFNrNMiJTF_pVwLjfg

What I saw:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB8JT-zPz2u7l1cpGktmMPPHHjaoCAUnHILwWIqcTthyDqFCGJ

It was very interesting and I'm so glad I saw it, but there wasn't a HOHO sight seeing train! :D It is a research station with 35 permanent residents. Everyone that worked there had a rifle strapped to their back to protect from Polar Bears! The NY in front of Alesund made a really big difference!!! It means "New" Alesund.

Moral of the story is, make sure which Alesund you're going to! :o

Oh dear:D:D..Sorry but I had to laugh a little. I would love to go to Ny Ålesund so am glad you enjoyed it.

hello just a question as you are the one in norway ,besides alesund do you have any info for cruise passengers wanting to do their own thing in olden and geiranger ? :)

Hi there - yes, there are lots of info on this thread and on the thread in my signature about what to do in Geiranger and Olden.;)

If there is something specific you like to do like maybe hiking/kayaking etc let me know and I will try to answer.

The NY in front of Alesund made a really big difference!!! It means "New" Alesund.
Like "New York" is not the same place as "York".

But anyone can go to Alesund at any time. Ny Alesund is much more difficult to get to and a rather rarer port of call - so you were lucky that you got to see the place. Our two days in Svalbard were one of the real highlights of any of our cruising.

• 4 weeks later...

Other things to do in Alesund is to walk around town and take in the beautiful architecture.

Thanks Lars I for sure will follow your detailed walk.

It's just what I searched for: easy and enough details!

just back from infinity cruise visited alesund ship docks right in centre lovely quaint town there was a market and boat show on with live music at the time ,good range of shops the steps up to mount askla viewpoint are in the park and are great for viewing but not for those with a problem with heights enjoy ,ps if you go to OLDEN you just have to visit briksdal glacier its a fantastic hike up there and back stunning scenery but be prepared to get wet !

My friend uses an electric scooter whenever possible or a walker when she can't use the scooter. Can we get into town easily and if we do the train is it handicapped accessible?

It might be a challenge as some of the streets are laid with cobblestone.

The sidewalks are narrow but most are accessible for walker/wheelchairs/scooters.

The train is not handicapped accessible. There is a small step up to the seating on the train.

It might be a challenge as some of the streets are laid with cobblestone. The sidewalks are narrow but most are accessible for walker/wheelchairs/scooters. The train is not handicapped accessible. There is a small step up to the seating on the train.

This question is difficult to answer, because many people require assistance such as these for a continuum of disability: most common would be lack of stamina for any length of walk or instability or poor balance. My thought is, what does the friend do to get onto the electric scooter or go from a sitting position to assistance from a walker? If there is adequate upper body strength and coordination to stand up and reach a riding position, then there might be enough to step onto a tourist train car with some assistance? The most disabled who use a wheel chair could require a bus that has a platform to move the occupant and wheel chair from street level to bus level. Our recent Norwegian cruise included a couple where the husband tended to his handicapped spouse: longer distances included him pushing a wheel chair, but she was able to transition (with his help) from sitting to standing, as well as stepping up into a van or coach.

An aside, on 1 July we experienced Trollveggen and Trollstigen (and the Valldal river rapids walk) from Alesund with I-Cruiser's recommendation. We went through Nettbuss Alesund (thanks to Arnie, our pleasant, informative, and helpful driver) and even wired funds (a first!): although a first visit to Trollveggen (from the north) was "marred" by low clouds, the subsequent Trollstigen view point with breaks in clouds with their movement, was marvelous! (Although our Nettbuss drive from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba was more of a altitude challenge, our visit at Trollstigen was considerably longer. ) We took a loop from Alesund, never backtracking, and ended at the Alesund viewpoint (some took a walk back, we had a 12-hour port visit there) before an informative drive back to the dock. What a wonderful day! Also enjoyed the strawberry fields and taste of fruit that benefited from 12-hour days. Hope that I-Cruiser has/had a most rewarding summer cruise experience (and that the Russians were no worse in their hospitality and the Estonian's are still smiling and coping with any invasion worries!

DJ:)

An aside, on 1 July we experienced Trollveggen and Trollstigen (and the Valldal river rapids walk) from Alesund with I-Cruiser's recommendation. We went through Nettbuss Alesund (thanks to Arnie, our pleasant, informative, and helpful driver) and even wired funds (a first!): although a first visit to Trollveggen (from the north) was "marred" by low clouds, the subsequent Trollstigen view point with breaks in clouds with their movement, was marvelous! (Although our Nettbuss drive from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba was more of a altitude challenge, our visit at Trollstigen was considerably longer. ) We took a loop from Alesund, never backtracking, and ended at the Alesund viewpoint (some took a walk back, we had a 12-hour port visit there) before an informative drive back to the dock. What a wonderful day!

Do you mind answering a few questions?

How many people were in your group? What type of vehicle did you use? How long was the tour (we only have 9 hours)? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mind answering a few questions?

How many people were in your group? What type of vehicle did you use? How long was the tour (we only have 9 hours)? What was the cost?

Thanks in advance.

(1) Suffice it to say, this was the most successful cruise we have experienced in the last six years.

(2) I am very conservative in planning excursions and most transportation companies are even more conservative. First, your primary objectives should also be available from the ship, so you know you have the time. Our ship offered a visit to Trolstigen from both Molde (800/600) and Alesund (0700/1000) we extended their offerings (visited stave church at Kverness from Molde with return to Molde overlook with travel both north and south on the Atlantic Highway -- unfortunately for us, the Atlantic that day was as smooth as glass! Our adventure from Alesund also included the overlook and option to hike back to the ship -- but then the ship was at the dock til 1000pm!

(3) My objective was to find local drivers with vans -- if you find any, make the information available. I could only find coach services and a variety of online websites that were excellent (Stavanger, Geiranger, Flam) in which these coaches provided many of the options during the season and you could reserve/purchase by the seat. In this way we reached the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and visited the view at the rear of the Stalheim Inn and then on to the dock at Gudvagen (Google the pictures for Gudvagen and Stalheim View -- adding the flower garden at the rear). I'm not quite certain if I'd ever repeat this process again, but quite early on in late winter we developed a list of around 20/30 active/eager companions who provided cabin numbers and email addresses.

Hope this is helpful and gives you some ideas. My most favorite European cruise has been Barcelona/Venice and I hope to take my two oldest grandsons with us in the next two summers. Using drivers with 8-seat vans, and doing some preparation for locations like the Forum and Pompeii, plan to have a great time (maybe find other 3-generation groups for small buse experiences in Turkey and Greece?).

This question is difficult to answer, because many people require assistance such as these for a continuum of disability: most common would be lack of stamina for any length of walk or instability or poor balance. My thought is, what does the friend do to get onto the electric scooter or go from a sitting position to assistance from a walker? If there is adequate upper body strength and coordination to stand up and reach a riding position, then there might be enough to step onto a tourist train car with some assistance? The most disabled who use a wheel chair could require a bus that has a platform to move the occupant and wheel chair from street level to bus level. Our recent Norwegian cruise included a couple where the husband tended to his handicapped spouse: longer distances included him pushing a wheel chair, but she was able to transition (with his help) from sitting to standing, as well as stepping up into a van or coach.

An aside, on 1 July we experienced Trollveggen and Trollstigen (and the Valldal river rapids walk) from Alesund with I-Cruiser's recommendation. We went through Nettbuss Alesund (thanks to Arnie, our pleasant, informative, and helpful driver) and even wired funds (a first!): although a first visit to Trollveggen (from the north) was "marred" by low clouds, the subsequent Trollstigen view point with breaks in clouds with their movement, was marvelous! (Although our Nettbuss drive from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba was more of a altitude challenge, our visit at Trollstigen was considerably longer. ) We took a loop from Alesund, never backtracking, and ended at the Alesund viewpoint (some took a walk back, we had a 12-hour port visit there) before an informative drive back to the dock. What a wonderful day! Also enjoyed the strawberry fields and taste of fruit that benefited from 12-hour days. Hope that I-Cruiser has/had a most rewarding summer cruise experience (and that the Russians were no worse in their hospitality and the Estonian's are still smiling and coping with any invasion worries!

I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

My summer has been excellent, both here in Norway and in the Baltic. Thank you for asking.

Thanks. She can walk a little with a cane or a rolling walker. So I think we can manage the train or the hop on hop of bus. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I am looking for feedback on a tour company, Norway Excursions. They are offering a bus tour out of Alesund called "From Fjords to Trolls". It is an 8 hour tour that includes lunch for 140 Euros. That is a lot better than HAL who is charging $230 for basically the same tour. I just have not been able to find a lot of info on the tour company so want to make sure I am spending my money wisely.

I am looking for feedback on a tour company, Norway Excursions. They are offering a bus tour out of Alesund called "From Fjords to Trolls". It is an 8 hour tour that includes lunch for 140 Euros. That is a lot better than HAL who is charging $230 for basically the same tour. I just have not been able to find a lot of info on the tour company so want to make sure I am spending my money wisely.

Interesting that after two years CC on a forum with no responses, I receive a response, How wonderful! I assume that you have read my comments regarding our 2014 cruise. We had a wonderful day out of Alesund and I went beyond anything I had ever done to lease a coach and recruit participants. Actually, this year I'm more or less doing several of these things on a repeat British Isles (Princess) cruise with several family members: our travel group now consists of 55 participants in 23 cabins! (So, I'm getting worse?)

My general impression of Norwegians is perhaps even too uniformly positive? I'd ask for the itinerary so you would see where you will be going and what you are seeing? Obviously cruise lines double on-economy retail prices, and if you'd like to pay 1/4 of the cruise line price, you have to become the tour developer and recruit participants!

My best (I'd take the chance, maybe look at promotional materials, or even ask for the names/email addresses of previous customers this or last season).

• 2 months later...

Hi Cincicouple, Have you returned from your cruise; if so I hope you had a terrific time. We will be cruising the Norwegian Fjords in early June 2017 and am wondering how you went with your research into this new company. I note it's now showing on Viator and trip advisor; seems just started up this year. Did you book with them & if so, what are your thoughts? I am unsure that they are offering the Troll tour so early whilst the other company is not; possibly their vehicle is smaller maybe. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Cincicouple, Have you returned from your cruise; if so I hope you had a terrific time. We will be cruising the Norwegian Fjords in early June 2017 and am wondering how you went with your research into this new company. I note it's now showing on Viator and trip advisor; seems just started up this year. Did you book with them & if so, what are your thoughts? I am unsure that they are offering the Troll tour so early whilst the other company is not; possibly their vehicle is smaller maybe. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Suffice it to say, Norway is a wonderful experience and the climate, the geography, and the people all contribute. Found in 2014 that specific ports have developed their own websites where you can purchase seats for your day. A couple of ports required working with Norway Tourism for that port and reserving a coach (driver speak English and our two were quite talkative and had experience with our plans). Often you purchase for yourself, otherwise its useful to go on Roll Call and ask for private email discussions to form a group if that is necessary (sometimes someone else will have started this process). Also found that Norway Tourism was a great source of multiple location-specific booklets? Two fjord locations have each a website where boat and coach experiences are "discounted." We found a great deal was at Stavanger, where a standard fjord cruise was half the cruise rate. My only mistake was posting this on Roll Call (not privately) and I found out subsequently that this specific comment and our Roll Call was being followed by the ship's program director! Beware. We also had a day at Oslo (used a senior's tourist ticket for the day) and Bergen where we have been several times, so took the opportunity to shop for stainless gifts for family on sale and also walk around for the day. Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll look up our 2014 data.

My best,

Suffice it to say, Norway is a wonderful experience and the climate, the geography, and the people all contribute. Found in 2014 that specific ports have developed their own websites where you can purchase seats for your day. A couple of ports required working with Norway Tourism for that port and reserving a coach (driver speak English and our two were quite talkative and had experience with our plans). Often you purchase for yourself, otherwise its useful to go on Roll Call and ask for private email discussions to form a group if that is necessary (sometimes someone else will have started this process). Also found that Norway Tourism was a great source of multiple location-specific booklets? Two fjord locations have each a website where boat and coach experiences are "discounted." We found a great deal was at Stavanger, where a standard fjord cruise was half the cruise rate. My only mistake was posting this on Roll Call (not privately) and I found out subsequently that this specific comment and our Roll Call was being followed by the ship's program director! Beware. We also had a day at Oslo (used a senior's tourist ticket for the day) and Bergen where we have been several times, so took the opportunity to shop for stainless gifts for family on sale and also walk around for the day. Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll look up our 2014 data.

My best,

Thank you In Retirement both for your suggestions and warning. I have never thought that the cruise director would be viewing the information in a roll call; although it may be the best place to find out what passengers honestly like/dislike in a cruise!

Sorry or the delayed response. Unfortunately, I am unable to give you feedback on Alesund. My cruise was delayed for almost 2 days departing Amsterdam due to high winds and waves in the North Sea! As a result, the captain eliminated Alesund as one of our ports of call. I was extremely disappointed, but when we finally left Amsterdam, the seas were still pretty rough so I could understand why our departure was delayed.

Anyhow, I can give feedback on Norway excursions. They are offering mini-group tours now. It is not necessary to charter a bus and try to find fellow passengers to share the costs. Norway Excursions actually contacted me by phone on our originally scheduled departure date to advise me that they were aware of the ship's change of itinerary and that I would be receiving a full refund! They also advised me that they were putting together an alternate excursion for Geiranger if I was interested. I was since the Troll Road excursion I had booked for Alesund was my big splurge and we were doing the other ports on our own. I ending up booking the Eagle Road and Mt. Dalsniba tour in Geiranger with them. The mini van they used was very nice. My recollection is that there were about 10 of us. The tour guide was a local; very knowlegable and interesting. It was a cloudy, overcast day so they said we would drive the Eagle Road first in hopes that the fog over Mt. Dalsniba would lift by the time we reached the summit. Unforutanately, our bad luck continued as not only did the fog NOT lift, but it started snowing about halfway up the mountain! It was almost a white out at the summit! They did make a couple stops on the way down when the visibility cleared a little so we could try to appreciate the scenery!

So in summary, yes I would recommend using the company. Everything was very well organized. I received the promised refund. I cannot fault them for the weather. By the way, our scheduled departure date from Amsterdam was August 7th! So weather there is definitely a roll of the dice!

Thank you Cincicouple for your helpful reply; very much appreciated. You have covered everything that I was wondering about! It's really encouraging to hear how proactive and helpful the company was in accommodating your ship's changed itinerary. We will be cruising from Amsterdam to Norway in early June (I think a week or two after the 'Troll Road' is expected to reopen) and I was wondering what contingencies this company may have. I was surprised to hear that the sea was so rough for you and also that it was snowing in August! That was very unfortunate and must have been so disappointing. I'm not expecting calm seas & clear skies but regardless of the weather, really looking forward to the scenery & experience. I was also looking at both Eagle Road (Herdal Farm tour) & Mt Dalsniba. The company has just replied to my email and are in the process of finalising their 2017 cruise tour dates so I'll see what they have to offer on the day we will be in port at Alesund (interested in the fjords to trolls tour) and also a Geiranger tour. I'm very interested in their smaller sized tour groups but it seems the size of the tour may depend on the number of bookings; indicated in their email that they also run larger bus tours. Given the near whiteout you had, just wondering which tour in Geiranger you think had the better views/scenery?