Alesund some advice please

Hooray for a moving train on ALL days a ship is in port! As far as suggestions for things to do (and obviously there are many), if you're a photographer, you might want to do what I plan to do first thing in the morning: walk slowly along the canal (Brosundet) and hopefully get a nice photo of the reflection of those beautiful art nouveau buildings on the other side in the water! (Would anyone happen to know if there is a better time - morning, afternoon, a time with a little bit of sun (although I'm not counting on that) versus a cloudy day?)

Good idea on photo reflections!! Much will depend on the weather when you are there, plus the exact date. When will you be there in Alesund? Check the sunrise and sunset times via this website.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 30, you will find this data for Alesund in the heart of this great area: a high of 49 °F last year with a low of 42 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 48 °F. During recent history, the high has been 64 °F (2007) and a low of 42 °F (2012) on this date in Alesund. There was no rain on this date last year. Sunrise at 3:58 AM and sunset at 11:09 PM.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,790 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Now I've got to figure out how to insert pictures into the text on Cruise Critic from my computer, as opposed to attachments!

For posting larger photos to these boards, your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Below is an example for how things can look from posting larger pictures. More on my live/blog noted below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,790 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

South of Alesund, as we crossed when coming back from Runde Island, here was a view of a small village with various fishing and other boats in the foreground.:

AlesundCoastalTownBoatsMtn.jpg

You can also insert them from your photo roll on your iphone or ipad ( if that is what you use)....on my pc I use tinypic too , it works well.

A photo from my visit to Copenhagen , looking forward to going back in July!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

916839468_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1366852180.124116.jpg.b55f1071a9c150549040dadd184f6a20.jpg

Hooray for a moving train on ALL days a ship is in port!

As far as suggestions for things to do (and obviously there are many), if you're a photographer, you might want to do what I plan to do first thing in the morning: walk slowly along the canal (Brosundet) and hopefully get a nice photo of the reflection of those beautiful art nouveau buildings on the other side in the water! (Would anyone happen to know if there is a better time - morning, afternoon, a time with a little bit of sun (although I'm not counting on that) versus a cloudy day?)

This shot was taken in the morning, walking through town straight off the ship, on a cloudy day, so your plan should work fine. No post-production involved :)

IMG_2272.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Me, too! The cruise line I'm taking starts its first cruise there in early June. I'm hoping that at least one person on that cruise is a fan of Cruise Critic and can report back!

I'm really looking forward to seeing beautiful Aalesund!

Edited by roothy123

Me, too! The cruise line I'm taking starts its first cruise there in early June. I'm hoping that at least one person on that cruise is a fan of Cruise Critic and can report back!

I'm really looking forward to seeing beautiful Aalesund!

Which cruise line are you sailing with..??

We ended up doing the Hop on Hop off tour so we could see more of the city - it goes all the way from the cruise port to the Sunnmøre Museum, Mt Aksla, and the Aquarium. We got off when it suited and I'd recommend it. We didn't go to the Aquarium but got off to do some walking/hiking - and were pleasantly surprised with the free, fast wi-fi at the Aquarium!

The bus stops:

Stop 1 - Cruise Terminal

Stop 2 - Sunnmøre Museum

Stop 3 - Fjellstua

Stop 4 - Rica Parken Hotel

Stop 5 - Tourist information

Stop 6 - Dronning Sonjas Plass / City Center

Stop 7 - The Art Nouveau Centre / City Center

Stop 8 - Ålesund Fisheries Museum & Clarion Bryggen Hotel

Stop 9 - Ålesund Church

Stop 10 - Ålesund Aquarium / Atlanterhavsparken

We had a discount code for the HoHo bus - MATALAN20 - which saved us 20%. If you're interested, you can book here - http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/norway/alesund.htm#tourlandingposition.

Otherwise we just puttered around and enjoyed the only sunny day on our trip. A lovely city, and we much preferred it to Bergen.

Thank you, callmehalia - that's very useful information! My husband will appreciate the HOHO tour, as the steps up to Fjellstua are probably more than he's up to!

I-cruiser, I am on Oceania's Marina in early August. I looked, and it appears Oceania's visits to Aalesund are later than I thought. One of their ships is there June 25, and I think that's the earliest one. However, based on callmehalia's post, Holland has already started going there! I suppose if we wanted more info, we could check the Aalesund port web site to find out which other cruise lines are going there in June, and see if anyone will be posting a review or comments!

Edited by roothy123

Thank you, callmehalia - that's very useful information! My husband will appreciate the HOHO tour, as the steps up to Fjellstua are probably more than he's up to!

I-cruiser, I am on Oceania's Marina in early August. I looked, and it appears Oceania's visits to Aalesund are later than I thought. One of their ships is there June 25, and I think that's the earliest one. However, based on callmehalia's post, Holland has already started going there! I suppose if we wanted more info, we could check the Aalesund port web site to find out which other cruise lines are going there in June, and see if anyone will be posting a review or comments!

Here is a link to the list of cruise ships visiting Ålesund this summer.

http://cruise.smp.no/services/cruise/Default.aspx

Ok, it went to default.

What you need to do is to choose:

"Alle" from the drop down menu in the column named "måned"

In the column named "Havn" choose "Ålesund" for the port.

In the last column called "Fartøy" choose "alle".

Then click "søk"

Then you will get the entire list of cruise ships visiting Ålesund this year.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thanks, I-cruiser. That's a great web site. I checked out the "videos" (webcams) a few hours ago. It looked like a nice day (well, now I guess it's evening) in Aalesund! I was also happy to see that my cruise ship will be the only one in port that day.

I never realized that Norwegian was so close to German. After living in Germany for 4 years as a kid, I know a little German, so I actually could have figured out how to navigate on the port site. However, thanks anyway for the help!

I have cars rented in both Alesund and Geiranger. I was planning on doing the National Tourist Route in Geiranger aka the Golden Route but we are only in port from 7-4. Not sure yet what to do in Alesund with our car as we are there 4 hours longer. My question is should we do the Golden Route as part of the Geiranger stop or break it up into 2 days and do part of the route in Alesund? Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

If you want to walk. you should walk pass the Jugend style museum, follow the road to the right and pass small interesting shops.

Walk past the Sandic hotel all the way through to you get to a small street with only old wooden buildings.

Not many find this place. I love it here.

Its quiet and out of the way. The road have lots of art shops (painting, glass), antique shop, cafe and a museum.

Also, you should walk all the way out to the light house.

From here you will have a very different view of Alesund:)

Oh, the firehouse is actually a hotel room!!

Lars

Hi Lars, I have 2 questions.

1) Does "a small street with only old wooden buildings" have a name?

I look up in google and I couldn't find Sandic hotel, found only Scandic hotel which is not far from the lighthouse. However, I still can't find in google map which street near hotel should be "a small street with only old wooden buildings". Forgive me, I have a terrible sense of direction.

2) Is Sunnmore museum much different from Folk museum in Oslo? From watching the photos, it seems to me that Folk museum might be more interesting. How about your opinions?

Thanks

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/Alesund/Brosjyrer/3%20korr_samlet%20engelsk%20(2)%203.pdf

I am also interested in the spot Lars mentions, so hopefully he will jump back on here when he can and give some more information for navigationally-impaired people like me!

In the mean time, the link above shows a better map than what Google is likely to provide. Maybe that will help us if Lars provides a starting point.

Actually, I think I just found an area with lots of wooden houses, close to the Scandic Hotel. I don't know if you have ever downloaded and used Google Earth (a little different from Google Maps) but if not, and you're a photographer, you might want to check it out. It's a hefty piece of software, but free, and once loaded, you can search for Scandic Hotel, Alesund, Norway and it will pull up the location of the hotel. Then you can make sure the little box on the left hand side for Photos is checked (under Layers). If you go to the left (west) of the Scandic Hotel, starting around where the little breakwater goes out to the lighthouse (and the Fishermen's Museum, you'll see photos that show what appear to be wooden houses. You need to click on the little boxes to see the photos, or at least put your cursor over them to get a title. I've found this to be a wonderful way to scope out what parts of a city or port are most interesting to me when taking pictures!

Oh, also: If you grab the orange man at the top right corner, and drag him towards that main road (Molovegen, I think) certain roads are highlighted with blue. For those, if you release your cursor on one of them, you will get a street view. I've found this helpful in getting previews of where I'll be, and what to look for in navigating. (Lars, what does Molo mean - pier, waterfront?)

Edited by roothy123

Hi Roothy123:

Like the two of you, I'm trying to find the same wooden buildings. Found the Fiskerimuseet, and was "walking along and looking" at the street called Molovegen away from the Scandic, which seems to deadend at some sort of gate. I seem to have missed the wooden houses. Can you tell me the address where you saw them? Is Molovegen the "small street"?

Edited by bearsfolks

OK, it took me a while to find the gate you were talking about, but finally I did - by the water along Molovegen. I did that by using the orange man. But if you go back to the regular Google Earth view, make sure you have "photos" selected, and then ask Google to find Molovegen 6004, Alesund, you'll get in the right vicinity to view the pictures I was viewing. There are not tons of pictures of ancient houses (as all but one ancient house burned down in 1904, I think!!) but there are a few scattered pictures between that point at Molovegen 6004 and the Fisherman's Museum that I believe Lars was probably talking about. There are also a few west of there - in other words, west of where the lighthouse pier juts out next to the museum, which takes you toward the water and gate, and I think, not too far from Alesund's Kirke (church). To see all of the photos, you may need to double click once or twice. There is one that someone has called "Alesund, historic town" and that was one of the ones that led me to believe that this is the area Lars was talking about. In any case, it looks like a nice, peaceful place to walk, with a park to your left at some point and the water at your right at some point.

Hope that helps! By the way, I googled the lighthouse, which houses room 47 of one of the major hotels along the Brosundet (forget the name - sorry). There's a Youtube video that shows the room (very small) and bathroom (very nice) along with the unrestored steps up to the top of the lighthouse. The video is a bit bizarre, as there is a weird orgasmic sound at the end, but I suppose they wanted to convey that you would be quite alone and private if you stayed in room 47 of the hotel!

Anyway, enjoy Alesund! I know I will...

Thank you very much Roothy! I found the street that you mention, I guess it's the right one.

Now, Lars is on a cruise, according to his signature. I think we'll hear from him again next week.

"Legend of the Seas - 7 days Western Med May 25 2013."

You guys are very right; the small street is indeed Moloveien...:) For me this street is the most atmospheric in Ålesund.

Fiskerimuseet is there. Also a glass blower....an antique shop and a cafe.....

The lighthouse or hotel room 47 belongs to Hotel Brosundet.

A Molo is a breakwater structure....I forget the name in English.