Alesund some advice please

I have cars rented in both Alesund and Geiranger. I was planning on doing the National Tourist Route in Geiranger aka the Golden Route but we are only in port from 7-4. Not sure yet what to do in Alesund with our car as we are there 4 hours longer. My question is should we do the Golden Route as part of the Geiranger stop or break it up into 2 days and do part of the route in Alesund? Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

I think I have overlooked this question. I do apologize. Blame it on a cruise and post traumatic cruise syndrome:D

Remember, if the ship is in port from 7am to 4pm your time ashore would only be from 8 am to 3 pm (time do deliver back car and get the tender back to ship)

This means your time ashore will be 7 hours. To drive from Geiranger to Trollstigen will take you 1.5 hrs one way including the ferry.

If you want to drive Trollstigen itself (up and down) add another hour.

You might want to spend 30 minutes to 1 hour at the Trollstigen viewpoint.

Its doable but with no hick ups and good planning.

If you want to do this route from Alesund you first have to drive for over 2 hours along the fjord the ship cruises to get to Geiranger.

The drive will be much longer by 2-3 hours from Ålesund.

You can drive a circle: from Ålesund to Valldal to Trollstigen then to Andalsnes and the Romsdal fjords over the mountain en route back to Alesund.

I would think this route will take approx 7 hours.

Its a long but beautiful drive.....

Either way you have to stop at Gudrandsjuvet outside Valldal to admire the powerful nature:

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Product/?pid=86415

If you choose to do the route from Alesund you also get to see Trollveggen.

The largest vertical mountain wall in Europe.

http://www.trollveggen.com/

If you can, and time allows, I would suggest to do the route from Alesund. Its a longer drive for sure but you will be able to see and experience more.

It is very easy to drive in Norway and it will not be hard to find the places you want to visit.

In Geiranger since you have a car booked, you could do the sights on your own: The Eagle Road, Flydalsjuvet, Mt. Dalsnibba....Have lunch at Westerås farm overlooking Geiranger and the mountains.

You could also venture into the mountains towards the village of Stryn. The drive from Langvatn/Mt. Dalsnibba would be 1 hour.

I hope this helps a little.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but Ålesund now has a hop on hop off bus.

The bus runs every 60 minutes and the route takes 90 minutes.

The season started May 6 and runs until September 24.

Here is a link to the route:

https://static.city-sightseeing.com/documents/tours/664.pdf

Honestly I cant say if this is a good option or not. It is good if you would like to visit the Sunmøre Museum, the Mt. Aksla viewpoint and Atlanterhavsparken.

The rest of the stops are within a 10 minute walk from the ship.

The price is NOK 200 pp (US$ 37 - €28 - British £ 23) for adults.

One good thing is when you purchase a ticket you get a 10% discount on tickets in other cities.

Edited by I-Cruiser

• 1 month later...
I think you will have a wonderful day cruising the Hjørundfjorden. It a typical Norwegian fjord with high mountains and small settlements. I think its on height with the Geirangerfjord.

When you sail the Borgundfjord you will see all the suburbs to Alesund. Vegsund is actually a very quaint residential area with stunning views to the Norwegian Alps. Your boat might sail under the Vegsund bridge and pass some of the small islands along the way.

Its funny you actually board the boat at Solevag. Solevag is a car ferry stop.

Do you know what kind of boat the tour is using??? Solevag is very close to where we live so I would guess its a 30 minute bus ride from Alesund.

This is a wonderful tour and I am sure you will have a memorable day.:)

In Stavanger I guess you are cruising he Lysefjord??? This fjord is very different.. Its more open and rugged.

I would do both :) but if I had to choose I would choose Hjørundfjord.

I wanted to follow up after our cruise. Norway exceeded our expectations. Lars, thanks so much for your help as we were planning what we would do in several of our ports. We took the excursion posted in post #91. It was outstanding. We had a lovely sunny day and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Alesund as well as the cruise in the Hjorundfjord. We got back to town in the early afternoon and enjoyed walking thru your charming city. The sailaway from Alesund was so much fun. We have wonderful memories of our day there. Thanks again for taking time to answer questions about Norway. Very best wishes!

I wanted to follow up after our cruise. Norway exceeded our expectations. Lars, thanks so much for your help as we were planning what we would do in several of our ports. We took the excursion posted in post #91. It was outstanding. We had a lovely sunny day and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Alesund as well as the cruise in the Hjorundfjord. We got back to town in the early afternoon and enjoyed walking thru your charming city. The sailaway from Alesund was so much fun. We have wonderful memories of our day there. Thanks again for taking time to answer questions about Norway. Very best wishes!

Beth, I am thrilled you had such a wonderful time in Norway. I am happy I could be of help:)

Where do I find the company name for this tour? I think I may have missed it.

Thanks.

I think you will have a wonderful day cruising the Hjørundfjorden. It a typical Norwegian fjord with high mountains and small settlements. I think its on height with the Geirangerfjord.

When you sail the Borgundfjord you will see all the suburbs to Alesund. Vegsund is actually a very quaint residential area with stunning views to the Norwegian Alps. Your boat might sail under the Vegsund bridge and pass some of the small islands along the way.

Its funny you actually board the boat at Solevag. Solevag is a car ferry stop.

Do you know what kind of boat the tour is using??? Solevag is very close to where we live so I would guess its a 30 minute bus ride from Alesund.

This is a wonderful tour and I am sure you will have a memorable day.:)

In Stavanger I guess you are cruising he Lysefjord??? This fjord is very different.. Its more open and rugged.

I would do both :) but if I had to choose I would choose Hjørundfjord.

Hi Cloogs

Just back from Norway. We did the Trollsgaten by coach with the ship. It took 8 hours with plenty of time at the top and bottom of the trolls staircase. We also had an hour stop for lunch. The tight spot is driving down the stairway road but this was due to the number of buses, so if you can get away quickly from the port you will have an easier journey. I can look up the bus route if you want.

Cheers Roger

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, since I'm still subscribed to this thread, I guess I should report what WE did on our day in Aalesund. I was bound and determined to get to see the lighthouse on Godoy, and if I remember correctly it was a Sunday, with the buses running on a terrible schedule for me to do that. Therefore, I used some ship board credit the cruise line gave me to take the expensive ship's excursion that went to Giske and Godoy. Yes, as I-Cruiser says, there is not much on those islands, but I still enjoyed the excursion. I got to see or hear several of the many tunnels around the area (few bridges there, mostly tunnels), a beautiful harbor scene near the church in Giske we visited, a talk about the church, a lighthouse from a distance, the lighthouse on Godoy, and then on the way back the bus let us off at the Aksla viewpoint for maybe 10 minutes or so before taking us back to the pier. I ate lunch on the ship and then walked out to tour the town, walking along the Brosundet, visiting the lighthouse where a small room can be rented (part of Hotel Brosundet), seeing the street discussed above (Molovein or however it is spelled), the Fisherman's Museum (outside only; didn't go inside), the place with the big statue, and the ferry port. I photographed "Gods Buss" and walked around quite a bit. For at least an hour it absolutely poured, and I had to seek shelter a couple times so as not to ruin my camera, although of course, I DID have it in a bag.

My husband took the tourist train and liked the view from Aksla best.

As to puffins and Runde: If you're lucky enough to be going to the Shetland Islands (main island where Lerwick is located) you might see puffins there during the summer from a location near the lighthouse at the bottom of the island.

My pictures of Aalesund are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/norwayaalesund_geiranger_hellesylt

Had a wonderful day in Aalesund!!

Edited by roothy123

Thank you for posting your review of your day. Your photos are wonderful too.

It was especially nice to see them now since its almost dark the entire day.

I don't think I'd like to live somewhere with darkness so much of the day in the winter. At least I see you have some wonderful cruises coming up this year, so you can spend all that indoor time planning what you're going to do in each port. I'm jealous!

I don't think I'd like to live somewhere with darkness so much of the day in the winter. At least I see you have some wonderful cruises coming up this year, so you can spend all that indoor time planning what you're going to do in each port. I'm jealous!

At the moment we have 5-6 hours of daylight so planning the cruises are very welcoming.

We are also leaving for Cuba January 16 for 2 weeks so we are very lucky:)

I would like to go to Cuba some day myself. Do you have to go with one of those educational/cultural groups? I'm hoping the price of those visits goes down a bit, or better yet, that Cuba would allow cruise visits, as it would be a wonderful addition to Caribbean cruises.

I would like to go to Cuba some day myself. Do you have to go with one of those educational/cultural groups? I'm hoping the price of those visits goes down a bit, or better yet, that Cuba would allow cruise visits, as it would be a wonderful addition to Caribbean cruises.

Cuba is a well oiled tourist machine. There are all inclusive hotels all along the coast. I would say that Cuba is almost ruined by tourism and the regime.

My partner is originally from Cuba so we are going to visit family.

There are a few European cruise lines offering cruises to Cuba. Also a Canadian company (your Cuba ***********) is offering Cuba cruises this year. Apparently very successful.

Cuba is a well oiled tourist machine. There are all inclusive hotels all along the coast. I would say that Cuba is almost ruined by tourism and the regime.

My partner is originally from Cuba so we are going to visit family.

There are a few European cruise lines offering cruises to Cuba. Also a Canadian company (your Cuba ***********) is offering Cuba cruises this year. Apparently very successful.

Hmm...Americans have to go with an educational/cultural group - can't just go off and see what we want to see, although I suppose it might be different if you have family there. Cuba for Americans sounds worse than Russia, where at least you can get an individual visa and go independently if you want! (Of course, I couldn't quite imagine navigating the Russian language, subway, etc. so we ended up taking a tour there. I normally like to go off on my own, using public transportation and my own research and itinerary, but for Russia, it seemed too difficult.) I don't mind a little "cultural exposure" (which is sometimes construed/reported as propaganda) but I most certainly prefer to see/hear what I want to see/hear, and so far that is difficult in Cuba! Out of curiousity, I'll have to look into the European and Canadian cruise lines that offer Cuba visits - even though I may still be not allowed to go, given that I have a U.S. passport. Big bad Americans....

Hmm...Americans have to go with an educational/cultural group - can't just go off and see what we want to see, although I suppose it might be different if you have family there. Cuba for Americans sounds worse than Russia, where at least you can get an individual visa and go independently if you want! (Of course, I couldn't quite imagine navigating the Russian language, subway, etc. so we ended up taking a tour there. I normally like to go off on my own, using public transportation and my own research and itinerary, but for Russia, it seemed too difficult.) I don't mind a little "cultural exposure" (which is sometimes construed/reported as propaganda) but I most certainly prefer to see/hear what I want to see/hear, and so far that is difficult in Cuba! Out of curiousity, I'll have to look into the European and Canadian cruise lines that offer Cuba visits - even though I may still be not allowed to go, given that I have a U.S. passport. Big bad Americans....

I hope changes will soon come to Cuba.

It sure is a "far cry" from Ålesund to Havana:)

• 1 month later...
At the moment we have 5-6 hours of daylight so planning the cruises are very welcoming.

We are also leaving for Cuba January 16 for 2 weeks so we are very lucky:)

We are planning a month in Northern Europe this summer that concludes with a 12-night RT Amsterdam that i believe offers us the ability to develop several independent (of cruise ship) or private port experiences. Although I want your opinion as to Alesund (Tues 1 July 7am/10pm) where we have a very long port stay, it seems to me that each port choice should be influenced by the activities in the other ports, such as avoiding absolute duplication and providing some balance (here some absolute emphasis on nature). Here are our other ports (before, after) and what is arranged or hoped for (wonder if Seasonal Affective Disorder is reflected in some either limited or absent responses to our emails?):

Before:

Stavanger Sat 28 June 7am/5pm: 3-hr Rodne Fjord Cruise (10/1), see city sight, visit ATM, actually shop.

Olden Sun 29 June 10am/7pm: challenging Nettbuss to return an email; arrange private tour away from 2,000 other passengers to visit glacier location (Norwegian Clacier Center-Faerland, Jostedal National Park Cented?) Very frustrating!

Molde Mon 30 june 8am/6pm: arranged private tour to Bud & Atlantic Hwy.

Alesund Tues 1 July 7am/10pm: ??

Geiranger Wens 2 July 7am/4pm: Fjord cruise and 2 hrs Mt. Dalsnibba

Flam Thurs 3 July 8am/6pm: Cruise to Gudvangen but to Stalheim

Bergen Fri 4 July 8am/5pm: walk/tourist bus

Oslo Sun 6 July 7am/5pm: walk/tourist bus (major stores in city closed?)

I know this is a great deal of information, but we don't want to duplicate or do something like take a cruise one day and repeat from the road on another -- so is Trollstigen a proper land tour on 1 July or do we need to consider other options (I'm perfectly happy with an aquarium, as I'm a fish nut, but I've seen many aquariums and don't want to miss out on mother nature!). Much thanks,

DJ:)

DJ -

You have chosen a very diverse and interesting "port itinerary".

In my opinion the Trollstigen is a must see. To me the last part of the drive from Valldal to the viewpoint at the top of Trollstigen, Trollstigen itself is magical.

Sure, you will drive the same way as the ship will cruise in/out to Geiranger but its so different seeing it from land.

I am not familiar with the Celebrity tour to Trollstigen but I doubt it will back track and do the same route back to Ålesund. If it does a circle only 1 hour of the tour will be duplicated from land. If the tour does a circle drive the return will be along the Romsdalsfjord.

Molde is situated at Romsdalsfjord but the fjord is so wide that it cant be called a duplicate.

I guess the tour is 8-10 hrs long??

You will have time to explore Ålesund when you return from Trollstigen. Ålesund is very compact so it can be easily done in 1-1,5 hours..

If you don't do the Trollstigen your other options are tours to Hjorundfjord, Borgundfjord (both with or without fishing opportunities), do Ålesund and the surrounding islands more in depth.

In Geiranger you have the Mt. Dalsnibba and fjord cruise. The fjord cruise is on the sightseeing boat Mv Geirangerfjord?

Since the cruise ship will cruise in/out of the fjord it will be a duplication.

The sightseeing tour will take you more up-close, give commentaries about the people and how they used to live along the fjord.

I have heard others are having difficulties getting answers from local companies. I am not sure why as the offices should be open all year round.

I know some tourist information offices only keep open during the season but this is not the case here.

Lars

DJ -

You have chosen a very diverse and interesting "port itinerary".

In my opinion the Trollstigen is a must see. To me the last part of the drive from Valldal to the viewpoint at the top of Trollstigen, Trollstigen itself is magical. Sure, you will drive the same way as the ship will cruise in/out to Geiranger but its so different seeing it from land. I am not familiar with the Celebrity tour to Trollstigen but I doubt it will back track and do the same route back to Ålesund. If it does a circle only 1 hour of the tour will be duplicated from land. If the tour does a circle drive the return will be along the Romsdalsfjord. Molde is situated at Romsdalsfjord but the fjord is so wide that it cant be called a duplicate. I guess the tour is 8-10 hrs long??

You will have time to explore Ålesund when you return from Trollstigen. Ålesund is very compact so it can be easily done in 1-1,5 hours..

If you don't do the Trollstigen your other options are tours to Hjorundfjord, Borgundfjord (both with or without fishing opportunities), do Ålesund and the surrounding islands more in depth. In Geiranger you have the Mt. Dalsnibba and fjord cruise. The fjord cruise is on the sightseeing boat Mv Geirangerfjord? Since the cruise ship will cruise in/out of the fjord it will be a duplication. The sightseeing tour will take you more up-close, give commentaries about the people and how they used to live along the fjord.

I have heard others are having difficulties getting answers from local companies. I am not sure why as the offices should be open all year round.

I know some tourist information offices only keep open during the season but this is not the case here. Lars

Thank you so much Lars for the assistance. In the case of the fjordcruise at Geiranger (through Geiranger service) the 1 1/2 hour "cruise" in the morning is only $22 more than the Mr. Dalsnibba climb (which is way less than the same with the cruiseline). My hope is, as in Molde and Olden I come across a tour company that will sell seats or a transport company that will rent some sized bus with English speaking driver for such a loop trip (with camera stops and lunch break). You are right that the cruiseline offers such an option, 8 hours for $175! We are finding when a company sells seats directly to the public, the cost is usually around half the ship "retail" and this really adds up! Any leads (looks like 62Nord is that kind of company, but doesn't offer such an experience) as Visitalesund is currently not responsive (wonder what their backlog is going to be?).

I see you are doing Baltic Cruise RT Amsterdam this spring -- we did this in 2011 and have kept my records. Let me know if I can look anything up, or if you are not familiar with Amsterdam (balticports@yahoo.com). The ship should be looking good as it went through a refurbishment last year?

Thank you so much Lars for the assistance. In the case of the fjordcruise at Geiranger (through Geiranger service) the 1 1/2 hour "cruise" in the morning is only $22 more than the Mr. Dalsnibba climb (which is way less than the same with the cruiseline). My hope is, as in Molde and Olden I come across a tour company that will sell seats or a transport company that will rent some sized bus with English speaking driver for such a loop trip (with camera stops and lunch break). You are right that the cruiseline offers such an option, 8 hours for $175! We are finding when a company sells seats directly to the public, the cost is usually around half the ship "retail" and this really adds up! Any leads (looks like 62Nord is that kind of company, but doesn't offer such an experience) as Visitalesund is currently not responsive (wonder what their backlog is going to be?).

I see you are doing Baltic Cruise RT Amsterdam this spring -- we did this in 2011 and have kept my records. Let me know if I can look anything up, or if you are not familiar with Amsterdam (balticports@yahoo.com). The ship should be looking good as it went through a refurbishment last year?

I am sorry to hear they are so slow at responding to your emails. Its very frustrating when you want to arrange something ashore.

You might want to try these addresses as they both work at Destination Ålesund.

anita.noring@visitalesund.com

bente.saxon@visitalesund.com

I would think they are able to direct you to the proper company and also who to contact for tours in Geiranger and Molde.

Have you contacted Geiranger Taxi??

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

info@geirangertaxi.no

In Molde you might want to try this address:

hannesofie@visitmolde.com

I am looking forward to cruise the Baltic again. This time it will all be diy.

Thank you for the offer regrading your notes. I will send you an email regarding some of our ports. (Helsinki, Warnemunde, Talinn)

This will be the first time on a M-class ship and I know it will be fantastic:)

We fly direct from Alesund to Amsterdam in less than 2 hours. Its a fantastic city to visit for a weekend. Also, its so convenient to join cruises from there.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I am sorry to hear they are so slow at responding to your emails. Its very frustrating when you want to arrange something ashore. You might want to try these addresses as they both work at Destination Ålesund.

anita.noring@visitalesund.com

bente.saxon@visitalesund.com

I would think they are able to direct you to the proper company and also who to contact for tours in Geiranger and Molde.

Have you contacted Geiranger Taxi??

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

info@geirangertaxi.no

In Molde you might want to try this address:

hannesofie@visitmolde.com

I am looking forward to cruise the Baltic again. This time it will all be diy.

Thank you for the offer regrading your notes. I will send you an email regarding some of our ports. (Helsinki, Warnemunde, Talinn)

This will be the first time on a M-class ship and I know it will be fantastic:)

We fly direct from Alesund to Amsterdam in less than 2 hours. Its a fantastic city to visit for a weekend. Also, its so convenient to join cruises from there.

Hanne Sofie Haset is my shining star! Because of her we have a private tour and more participants than some want! In Geiranger and Flam their is a large website that allows for direct purchase and people there respond to questions right away (we even find mistakes for them to correct) -- starting this early, we may not only be the majority on a certain option, but all of us may have signed up individually but belong to our Roll Call!

Working through the rought points now, including Olden (where the Stryn tourist office can't get Nettbuss to respond and to decide what to do at Alesund (and then either purchase individual seats or rent a bus and driver for the day). Will approach the two people you have named.

As for Tallin, Warnemunde, and Helsinki can be of some help. Good to see if you are active on your Roll Call (how could you not be?). In Germany and Helsinki we put together our own tours; can also advise for Russia and Stockholm as well, but I'll be you have plenty of experience nearby?

Thanks,

I'm still subscribed to this thread, and went on here to add my two cents' worth. However, what I was going to say (that you will see the same scenery from the cruise ship coming into Geirangerfjord as you would on the boat trip) was already mentioned, so that's good. I couldn't understand why so many people were interested in that trip when they would be seeing the fjord while going in and out...but as I-cruiser says, at least you'll get a little more information on what you're seeing.

In Geiranger, I walked up the road a little bit to see the church and cemetery with gorgeous mountains as a backdrop. If you're a photographer, you might want to do that - very pretty! Pictures are in one of my photo galleries, Islands and Fjords, I believe it's called, on http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

I did one of the bus trips (Ornesvingen and Flydalsjuvet) - not the one all the way up to Mt. Dalsnibba. I had read that if it's a cloudy day when you're in Geiranger, you may not see much way up top, so I opted for the lower trip. I reserved online before the cruise, and that worked out well, as the lines got long when our ship docked, and also when a ferry came in around the same time. We were there on a day with only our cruise ship and the ferry, but sometimes in summer I hear there are as many as three or four ships in town...

As for Trollstigen, I would have loved to have done that, but it was out of my price range, so I just stayed in Aalesund - a very pretty place!

Edited by roothy123