Alesund some advice please

Thanks again I-cruiser for your answers. I made a "virtual walk" using google satellite map, (the school you mentioned is really impressive) and noticed, at the right end of Vannspringdalen, some stairs climbing the hill, probably the way to mount Aksla; but as google maps doesn't represent this path, I was unable to "go further". Sorry if I seem to be too careful, but I had a great problem in Chamonix with a "map shortcut", and finished "hanged" 20 m above the rail tracks, unable to go up or down! Fortunately, the real hiking path was not to far and some hikers could help me, but it was really scaring!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I am sorry to hear about your incident in Chamonix - I can imagine it being scary.

I believe the reason the path is not on google maps is because its in the stages of being made by local patriots on their spare time.

Can you still take the HOHO bus to get to the Aksla viewpoint and then can you walk down from there? Also, is there any public transportation to the Alnes lighthouse? We will be in Alesund on Wed. May 21.

Can you still take the HOHO bus to get to the Aksla viewpoint and then can you walk down from there? Also, is there any public transportation to the Alnes lighthouse? We will be in Alesund on Wed. May 21.

Yes, you can do the bus to the viewpoint then walk back down to the town.

But, you will have to take the detour as the stairs are closed.

There is a public bus from Ålesund to Alnes. It will involve a change of bus at one of the islands.

Alnes is not well connected and there is a bus departing Ålesund (bus no 662)at 0855 am with a bus connection at "Ytterland"(bus no 664) at 0910 am arriving Alnes 0925 am.

Return leaving Alnes 1120 am (bus 664), change bus (bus no 662) at "Ytterland" and return to Ålesund at 1225 pm.

The connection buses should rendez vous at Ytterland. In the rare event this does not happen you would have to wait until the next bus which might take a few hours.

Ålesund - Ytterland

http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/15-194.htm

Ytterland - Alnes

http://www.rutebok.no/nriiisstatictables/tables/ruter/t/15-191.htm

Return route - click "retur"

Thanks for the info. I think we might skip Alnes. It sounds a bit confusing. Do want to go to the viewpoint. Will consider taking the HOHO bus or maybe walking the whole thing. It kind of depends on the weather.

Thanks for the info. I think we might skip Alnes. It sounds a bit confusing. Do want to go to the viewpoint. Will consider taking the HOHO bus or maybe walking the whole thing. It kind of depends on the weather.

The easiest method to get to Alnes would be to rent a car or hire a taxi.

Alnes is no more than 25 minutes from Ålesund.

Like so many things in this area its all about the weather. If you can play it by ear and decided what to do last minute the better. Its not much fun walking in the rain.

Then the option is to take the hoho bus or the choo choo train both up and down the mountain.

Hi I-Cruiser,

Please can you advise me on footwear for Noway in May? I'm visiting Alesund, Bergen, Flam, Geiranger and Stavanger. I'm not a hiker, I'll be exploring the towns and visiting scenic viewpoints by bus and train. Can you tell me if trainers will be adequate or if I'll need to bring boots? Will the snow be cleared from all the places I want to visit?

Thanks for your help, Jennifer

Edited by jennybee

Hi I-Cruiser,

Please can you advise me on footwear for Noway in May? I'm visiting Alesund, Bergen, Flam, Geiranger and Stavanger. I'm not a hiker, I'll be exploring the towns and visiting scenic viewpoints by bus and train. Can you tell me if trainers will be adequate or if I'll need to bring boots? Will the snow be cleared from all the places I want to visit?

Thanks for your help, Jennifer �� �� �� �� ��

Hi Jennifer - I believe you would be fine wearing trainers. It will not be cold (unless you regard temps in 50F-55F to be cold:))

Ideally you should bring both or a change of shoes in case your trainers gets soaking wet.

Thanks for your reply, those temps sound good to me. I'll take your advice and bring 2pairs of trainers.

Jennifer

I have some waterproof trainers --they are actually men's --made by Clarks. You can also get a waterproofing spray that works quite well. There is nothing worse that wandering around with wet feet. Also recommend some socks like these http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Vermont-Womens-Blackberry/dp/B008E1OOYK/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1396626213&sr=1-4&keywords=smartwool+socks+women

I buy a brand called Smartwool.

I have some waterproof trainers --they are actually men's --made by Clarks. You can also get a waterproofing spray that works quite well. There is nothing worse that wandering around with wet feet. Also recommend some socks like these http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Vermont-Womens-Blackberry/dp/B008E1OOYK/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1396626213&sr=1-4&keywords=smartwool+socks+women

I buy a brand called Smartwool.

Great advice. Thank you. Never heard about waterproofing spray. But it will take up less space in the suitcase than a second pair of shoes.

When I travel I bring with me a few pairs of the feather lightweight Puma trainers. They look good and are comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

hello there is the aksla viewpoint walkable from the cruise terminal ? and could a possible route take in some of the hilites of the town or would transport be the best way to get to aksla and back leaving time to explore the town ,we only really want to do aksla and wander round the pretty town ,and notdo the HOHO bus .

hello there is the aksla viewpoint walkable from the cruise terminal ? and could a possible route take in some of the hilites of the town or would transport be the best way to get to aksla and back leaving time to explore the town ,we only really want to do aksla and wander round the pretty town ,and notdo the HOHO bus .

Hi there - You can walk to Aksla from the cruise terminal. The usual path is closed until November since the stairs are getting a makeover.

There is an alternative route but it is not a scenic and nice as the stairs.

I enclose a Google map of the alternative walking map. Note: Where is says "Vannspringdalen" - a new path or short cut is being made to Aksla from there.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Nedre+Strandgate,+%C3%85lesund/Aksla+Utsiktspunkt,+6003+%C3%85lesund/Vannspringdalen,+6003+%C3%85lesund/@62.4730819,6.1513221,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da3a28b37ae1:0x4eb8ea8dac947e6!2m2!1d6.1436775!2d62.4699936!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da43e06f7ce5:0xac4e477fec50ff3a!2m2!1d6.164012!2d62.474286!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da437d00da6d:0x1b95cf8781c2d617!2m2!1d6.1698797!2d62.4729045!3e0

I will not recommend these alternative routes as they are not scenic. More a nice Sunday walk for the locals.

Your scenic alternative would be to take the hop on/off bus or the tourist "train".

http://www.bytoget.no/citytrain.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I may have missed this somewhere along the way, but was wondering if there are organized tours to Runde for viewing the birds from Alesund. I will be in port on June 17 and again on July 1. Since I am traveling alone, I am not interested in renting a car. Is there a better port to go to Runde than Alesund?

Edited by eaglewingks

recieved from alesund tourist information re, steps to mount askla viewing point,

Dear Neil,

The steps will be open until the end of August.

Med vennlig hilsen/Best regards,

Mathilde H.Prestbakmo

Turistinformasjonen/Tourist Information

Destinasjon Ålesund & Sunnmøre

www.visitAlesund.com

Thanks Lemon.

Hi Eaglewingks:

Posted in the thread "What to do in Bergen and Alesund" in April 2013, so it may have changed:

Stephanie:

I don't know when you're going to be in Alesunde, but if it is after June 24, 62ºNORD does run a RIB boat from Alesunde to Runde via a seal colony at noon and 6pm--the cruise is subject to cancellation due to weather. If you are in Alesunde before the 24th, they will rent you a boat that seats 12 (and a captain) for about the same price per person. Info is available at

We did this, and, based on our experience, I would recommend it only if this is the only chance you have to see puffins. We only saw them on the water--none were on land. Also, be prepared to get wet and it can also be very bouncy.

Edited by bearsfolks

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Cotswold Eagle,

Thank you for referring to your 2013 Brilliance of the Seas review of Alesund. Very much enjoyed your review and photos. Helpful in my preparing to take Cunard Queen Victoria Geysers and Glaciers from 22 June 2014.

OP - you may find my review from last year useful. We went to several of your ports and Ålesund starts on page 3. I have some info about getting around town, with photos.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653948

Going to be in Alesund in August from 8am to 6pm. Benn looking at HOHO bus and Tourist train and wondered what previous visitors would recommend? or is there any point doing both?

IMO, no point in doing both unless you would like to go to the open air museum, the aquarium and the Ålesund Church (easy to reach by foot as its only a 5 minute walk from Brosundet) which are all stops on the bus.

Ålesund is a very compact town so most of the stops on the bus/train are within a few minutes walking distance from each others.

Both options are great for the viewpoint at Aksla.

Route of the bus:

https://static.city-sightseeing.com/documents/tours/664.pdf

Route of the train:

http://www.bytoget.no/bilder/kartalesund.jpg

Hope this helps.

However, I would also like to hear from someone who has done the bus/train.