Alesund some advice please

I'm still subscribed to this thread, and went on here to add my two cents' worth. However, what I was going to say (that you will see the same scenery from the cruise ship coming into Geirangerfjord as you would on the boat trip) was already mentioned, so that's good. I couldn't understand why so many people were interested in that trip when they would be seeing the fjord while going in and out...but as I-cruiser says, at least you'll get a little more information on what you're seeing. In Geiranger, I walked up the road a little bit to see the church and cemetery with gorgeous mountains as a backdrop. If you're a photographer, you might want to do that - very pretty! Pictures are in one of my photo galleries, Islands and Fjords, I believe it's called, on www.pbase.com/roothy123

I did one of the bus trips (Ornesvingen and Flydalsjuvet) - not the one all the way up to Mt. Dalsnibba. I had read that if it's a cloudy day when you're in Geiranger, you may not see much way up top, so I opted for the lower trip. I reserved online before the cruise, and that worked out well, as the lines got long when our ship docked, and also when a ferry came in around the same time. We were there on a day with only our cruise ship and the ferry, but sometimes in summer I hear there are as many as three or four ships in town...As for Trollstigen, I would have loved to have done that, but it was out of my price range, so I just stayed in Aalesund - a very pretty place!

The truth of the matter is when you purchase direct/independent you often pay far less and yet try for the best experience. At Stavanger we will do a fjord cruise (3 hours) also offered through the ship by same company: we pay $57, the ship charges $119! As for bus to Mt. Dalsnibba, there are two 40-seat trips sold each day, morning and noon, we are on noon -- it also stops and one of the two stops on the "Panorama" bus and when purchased, the 1 1/2 hour fjord cruise costs $22/person? We arrive at 7am, to see the whole fjord going in, get up at 5am -- not this guy! Am working on a variety of private and independent port experiences. It appears that Norway excursions through the ship are often twice the cost if you can locate the way to purchase directly.

Just enjoying planning and passing on the information I locate,

DJ:)

I'm still subscribed to this thread, and went on here to add my two cents' worth. However, what I was going to say (that you will see the same scenery from the cruise ship coming into Geirangerfjord as you would on the boat trip) was already mentioned, so that's good. I couldn't understand why so many people were interested in that trip when they would be seeing the fjord while going in and out...but as I-cruiser says, at least you'll get a little more information on what you're seeing.

In Geiranger, I walked up the road a little bit to see the church and cemetery with gorgeous mountains as a backdrop. If you're a photographer, you might want to do that - very pretty! Pictures are in one of my photo galleries, Islands and Fjords, I believe it's called, on http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

I did one of the bus trips (Ornesvingen and Flydalsjuvet) - not the one all the way up to Mt. Dalsnibba. I had read that if it's a cloudy day when you're in Geiranger, you may not see much way up top, so I opted for the lower trip. I reserved online before the cruise, and that worked out well, as the lines got long when our ship docked, and also when a ferry came in around the same time. We were there on a day with only our cruise ship and the ferry, but sometimes in summer I hear there are as many as three or four ships in town...

As for Trollstigen, I would have loved to have done that, but it was out of my price range, so I just stayed in Aalesund - a very pretty place!

Great pictures. I really enjoyed watching them.:)

You just have to come back one day and do Trollstigen.

Hanne Sofie Haset is my shining star! Because of her we have a private tour and more participants than some want! In Geiranger and Flam their is a large website that allows for direct purchase and people there respond to questions right away (we even find mistakes for them to correct) -- starting this early, we may not only be the majority on a certain option, but all of us may have signed up individually but belong to our Roll Call!

Working through the rought points now, including Olden (where the Stryn tourist office can't get Nettbuss to respond and to decide what to do at Alesund (and then either purchase individual seats or rent a bus and driver for the day). Will approach the two people you have named.

As for Tallin, Warnemunde, and Helsinki can be of some help. Good to see if you are active on your Roll Call (how could you not be?). In Germany and Helsinki we put together our own tours; can also advise for Russia and Stockholm as well, but I'll be you have plenty of experience nearby?

Thanks,

DJ:)

I love the planning and re searching before a cruise too. Can you tell:D

Another tour that might be interesting for you is to visit Hjorundfjord and Oye (Øye).

Drive from Ålesund to the ferrypoint at Magerholm. ferry across the fjord. Drive to Sykklven across the mountain to Stranda and Hellesylt. Hellesylt is at the mouth of the Geirangerfjord. Drive to Norangsdalen (Norangs valley) This valley never stop to amaze me. The landscape is that bit more rugged..The valley is narrow making the mountians seem taller and more magestic. have lunch at the old and beautiful Hotel Øye.. Drive back to Ålesund via ferries (2) and drive along Hjorundfjorden.

The estimate time round trip Ålesund-Øye is 4 hrs without photostops.

Link to Norangsdalen:

http://www.hjorundfjord.no/?komponent=statisk&statisk_id=16

Hotel Union Øye:

http://www.unionoye.no/?gclid=CJj1pr7TvLwCFaSQcgodWhMA5A

route planner:

https://www.naf.no/tjenester/ruteplanlegger/?saddr=Norangsdalen%2C%20%C3%98rsta%2C%20Norge&daddr=%C3%85lesund

If you click on "ruteforslag" (route suggestion) (on the leftside)

RV60 - You will get the suggested and preferred route TO Øye.

Click on FV65 - you get the suggested and preferred route FROM Øye.

I had difficulties plotting in Øye. So I did Norangsdalen instead. Those to places are only a 10-15 minute drive apart.

The village of Øye is situated in the little side arm or "tap" of Hjorundfjorden.

In Talinn we would like to walk around the the city again also we would like to visit the palace.

In Helsinki we would like to go outside the city to maybe Porvoo.

In Warnemunde we plan on Schwerin.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I love the planning and re searching before a cruise too. Can you tell:D

In Talinn we would like to walk around the the city again also we would like to visit the palace.

In Helsinki we would like to go outside the city to maybe Porvoo.

In Warnemunde we plan on Schwerin.

Hello Lars!

(1) We had a great time in Warnemunde when a guide from Talinn provided the name of a travel company in Rostock that was not discovered after much effort on Goggle: We put together a group with a visit (and on a Sunday as well) to Schwerin, Wismar, and Rostock. We were treated very well and were so amazed when they understood we were giving them a separate tip, they didn't want to take us back to the ship and we spent more time in Rostock and Warnemunde. (2) Our time in Finland included Porvoo, can provide details as well. (3) Do you sign up for 2-day tour with a Russian company? Our time in Russia was quite a surprise for me and I believe that it reflected in part the bias of Cruise Critic participants: that is, if you did it, your memories are indeed fond ones (very, very little reporting of negative experiences!).

Have some details of a proposed 9 hour Alesund/Andalsnes/Trollveggen/Trollstigen/Valldal/Stordal/Alesund adventure. Considering that we will on 1 July have an extended port visit (0700/2200) could start at 0800 and be back in time for dinner? Would like to go over details to confirm and provide what specifics I can for your upcoming cruise as well. DJ:) (balticports@yahoo.com)

I don't think this applies to excursions (ship or private) from Aalesund, but since some people may be going to Geiranger as well, I thought I'd post:

We were on a cruise that stopped in Geiranger for a long half day, and then in Hellesylt. There was a long over-land trip (perhaps Trollstigen?) that was offered as a ship's excursion from Geiranger. The way the itinerary was listed, I originally thought the ship would actually stop in Hellesylt for a few hours. There is not much to do or see there other than the wonderful scenery of the fjord, but of course I wanted to get off and see whatever else I could! Then I learned that the stop was just to pick up people who had taken the long ship excursion that began in Geiranger.

SO - if Hellesylt is on your itinerary, you may want to ask the cruise line if you can get off and on there, or reboard there.

Edited by roothy123

Hello Lars!

(1) We had a great time in Warnemunde when a guide from Talinn provided the name of a travel company in Rostock that was not discovered after much effort on Goggle: We put together a group with a visit (and on a Sunday as well) to Schwerin, Wismar, and Rostock. We were treated very well and were so amazed when they understood we were giving them a separate tip, they didn't want to take us back to the ship and we spent more time in Rostock and Warnemunde. (2) Our time in Finland included Porvoo, can provide details as well. (3) Do you sign up for 2-day tour with a Russian company? Our time in Russia was quite a surprise for me and I believe that it reflected in part the bias of Cruise Critic participants: that is, if you did it, your memories are indeed fond ones (very, very little reporting of negative experiences!).

Have some details of a proposed 9 hour Alesund/Andalsnes/Trollveggen/Trollstigen/Valldal/Stordal/Alesund adventure. Considering that we will on 1 July have an extended port visit (0700/2200) could start at 0800 and be back in time for dinner? Would like to go over details to confirm and provide what specifics I can for your upcoming cruise as well. DJ:) (balticports@yahoo.com)

Hi DJ,

You have mail.:)

• 3 weeks later...
What other ways are there of getting to the viewpoint?

It will not be an easy task to find the path to Aksla by walking.

I hope this map will describe it more clearly.

As you can see its a big detour but enthusiasts are making a shortcut from "vannspringdalen" (marked with red arrow) to Fjellstua(Mt. Aksla)

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Nedre+Strandgate,+%C3%85lesund/Fjellstua,+Aksla,+6007+%C3%85lesund/Vannspringdalen,+6003+%C3%85lesund/@62.4730819,6.1504886,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da3a28b37ae1:0x4eb8ea8dac947e6!2m2!1d6.1436775!2d62.4699936!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da415dd78835:0x6ab6e0dea08d4e5a!2m2!1d6.164134!2d62.474269!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da437d00da6d:0x1b95cf8781c2d617!2m2!1d6.1698797!2d62.4729045!3e2

I wish I had more detailed information.

Anytime.

To me it seems a bit odd to close the stairs for such a long period of time during the tourist season.

The stairs are in bad shape and needs an upgrade but it would have been better to repair for 3 months from March-June, then August-November. This way the stairs would be open in the peak tourist season.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this applies to excursions (ship or private) from Aalesund, but since some people may be going to Geiranger as well, I thought I'd post:

We were on a cruise that stopped in Geiranger for a long half day, and then in Hellesylt. There was a long over-land trip (perhaps Trollstigen?) that was offered as a ship's excursion from Geiranger. The way the itinerary was listed, I originally thought the ship would actually stop in Hellesylt for a few hours. There is not much to do or see there other than the wonderful scenery of the fjord, but of course I wanted to get off and see whatever else I could! Then I learned that the stop was just to pick up people who had taken the long ship excursion that began in Geiranger.

SO - if Hellesylt is on your itinerary, you may want to ask the cruise line if you can get off and on there, or reboard there.

Thank you for the great information.

It will not be an easy task to find the path to Aksla by walking.

I hope this map will describe it more clearly.

As you can see its a big detour but enthusiasts are making a shortcut from "vannspringdalen" (marked with red arrow) to Fjellstua(Mt. Aksla)

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Nedre+Strandgate,+%C3%85lesund/Fjellstua,+Aksla,+6007+%C3%85lesund/Vannspringdalen,+6003+%C3%85lesund/@62.4730819,6.1504886,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da3a28b37ae1:0x4eb8ea8dac947e6!2m2!1d6.1436775!2d62.4699936!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da415dd78835:0x6ab6e0dea08d4e5a!2m2!1d6.164134!2d62.474269!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da437d00da6d:0x1b95cf8781c2d617!2m2!1d6.1698797!2d62.4729045!3e2

I wish I had more detailed information.

Is there anyway to get these directions in English?

Is there anyway to get these directions in English?

Not sure. I thought if you use google maps in your area the direction would come up in English.

You could put in theses criteria in your search at Google map. I would think you would get the directions in English.

Nedre Strandgate

Vannpringdalen

Fjellstua

Hi, I-cruiser!

Thanks a lot for those informations. Do you know how difficult is the "shortcut" from Vannspringdalen? Easy to find? Really steep? It seems more clever than to take the long long path, but sometimes, what seems clever on a map is not so clever where you are on the real path!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I'm still following this post, and am glad I hadn't stopped, despite the fact that I probably (sadly) won't make it back to Aalesund for a while. I'm glad because I didn't know you could change a google map from another language (and URL ending) to English. So, thanks! I tried it, and it worked perfectly. As for me, if I were going to that wonderful viewpoint, I would have to take that little land "train" up there as an hour of walking, partly uphill, might kill me at my age and physical stage!

Edited by roothy123

I'm still following this post, and am glad I hadn't stopped, despite the fact that I probably (sadly) won't make it back to Aalesund for a while. I'm glad because I didn't know you could change a google map from another language (and URL ending) to English. So, thanks! I tried it, and it worked perfectly. As for me, if I were going to that wonderful viewpoint, I would have to take that little land "train" up there as an hour of walking, partly uphill, might kill me at my age and physical stage!

Hi Roothy: We have decided to do what you did and to take the ship's trip to Godoy etc that includes the ride up to the Aksla viewpoint. We chose the afternoon excursions and will wander around town in the morning.

Hi, I-cruiser!

Thanks a lot for those informations. Do you know how difficult is the "shortcut" from Vannspringdalen? Easy to find? Really steep? It seems more clever than to take the long long path, but sometimes, what seems clever on a map is not so clever where you are on the real path!

To me honest I never walked the new trail..:o...yet..:):D

If you follow the directions and walk towards and pass the "nørvøy skole" (a huge yellow building which houses a school) then you are heading towards vannspringdalen.

The most "difficult" to find would be from Vannspringdalen to the path itself even though its signed.

You will walk through a residential area so you might meet some people to ask.

The path is not as steep as the stairs to Fjellstua it will make for a comfortable walk and I would not call it strenuous.

Hi Roothy: We have decided to do what you did and to take the ship's trip to Godoy etc that includes the ride up to the Aksla viewpoint. We chose the afternoon excursions and will wander around town in the morning.

I think you'll like the excursion. They took us to a church, where we went inside and a tour guide explained the interesting decor inside. I also wandered around out back toward the water for a little while, and found some interesting scenery to photograph. (I live for photography!) Then it was on to the lighthouse, where you have time to climb it, view it from a little ways away, etc. On the bus ride to both islands, there were (I think) 2 tunnels and we heard about the importance of them. Then it was on to Aksla, with some thatch-covered houses pointed out on the way up on right hand side. The excursion, like everything in Norway, was expensive, but it was the only way I could figure out how to see the lighthouse on the weekend with infrequent to no bus service. The lighthouse is beautiful. (I'm a lighthouse nut, too). By the way, if you're a lighthouse nut, you CAN see another one briefly on the bus ride to or from one of the islands, but just for a second if you're looking out the window on the correct side!

The above describes the excursion Oceania offered last year, but I assume it's the same one that other cruise lines might offer.

Aalesund was beautiful, and I enjoyed walking around. I assume you looked at my pics - they give a good overview of what I saw and did.

I-Cruiser, I loved the school you mentioned - and you see it from just about all over town. I first photographed it from the ship, before knowing it was used as a school. So pretty.

Edited by roothy123

Not sure. I thought if you use google maps in your area the direction would come up in English.

You could put in theses criteria in your search at Google map. I would think you would get the directions in English.

Nedre Strandgate

Vannpringdalen

Fjellstua

I put these in my google maps and was able to get the directions in English. I was surprised when I looked on Google Earth that I could not see the old stairs. It sure looks like a long way around. It might be a nice walk if the weather holds out.

Thanks again for all your help and information. I am really excited to visit your city and country.

Thanks again I-cruiser for your answers. I made a "virtual walk" using google satellite map, (the school you mentioned is really impressive) and noticed, at the right end of Vannspringdalen, some stairs climbing the hill, probably the way to mount Aksla; but as google maps doesn't represent this path, I was unable to "go further". Sorry if I seem to be too careful, but I had a great problem in Chamonix with a "map shortcut", and finished "hanged" 20 m above the rail tracks, unable to go up or down! Fortunately, the real hiking path was not to far and some hikers could help me, but it was really scaring!