Bringing wine on board update

billroddy

This is what HAL's web site has to say.

Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages. A 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

That is the same policy we all have seen for several years.

IF there is going to be a change -- remember that HAL isn't always quick to update their site.

I can remember years ago -- probably around 2004 when people were able to bring their own alcohol on board as well as buy the Duty Free alcohol in the shops to take to their cabins for consumption during the cruise. Without notice HAL just started to collect the bottles of alcohol at the gangway embarassing people as they got onto the ship. They of course got their bottles of alcohol back at the end of the cruise.

That is the same policy we all have seen for several years.

IF there is going to be a change -- remember that HAL isn't always quick to update their site.

I can remember years ago -- probably around 2004 when people were able to bring their own alcohol on board as well as buy the Duty Free alcohol in the shops to take to their cabins for consumption during the cruise. Without notice HAL just started to collect the bottles of alcohol at the gangway embarassing people as they got onto the ship. They of course got their bottles of alcohol back at the end of the cruise.

Good point KK, I remeber them doing that.

Seems to me I had that happen to myself.:D

I agree with Melodie and KK....Carnival (as well as HAL) used to allow you to bring alcohol onboard years ago and also the option to purchase it in the shops to take to your room. All of a sudden it stopped and we had a bottle taken from us at embarkation (we didn't know about the change). It was very embarrassing and henceforth we decided to go land touring for awhile and ultimately we switched cruise lines when we wanted to cruise. At least HAL allows you to purchase alcohol online for delivery to your room, and the prices are not too bad either. This is a plus for HAL compared to some other lines. We are not teenagers and don't feel we need to be scolded by the "liquor police" on a cruise line. I hope HAL continues to allow folks to bring on wine as they would like. After all, we are the paying passenger, not in some kind of "detention camp".

Another post stated the wine policy was going to change.

Bilkl

I think that was more along the lines of an advance warning of possible changes, not an already done deal.

Let us hope it is rumor but I suspect change is coming as it is already being implemented on Princess which until now operated under a similar policy to HAL.

As of now, it's just a rumor. On the other thread, someone checked with HAL corp and they did not know of the rumored change. Just because Carnival, Princess, and HAL all are under Carnival Corp doesn't mean they need to have the same policies.

When did Princess allow you to carry on all the wine you wanted? When we sailed with them we were limited to 1 bottle per person of legal drinking age.

As of now, it's just a rumor. On the other thread, someone checked with HAL corp and they did not know of the rumored change. Just because Carnival, Princess, and HAL all are under Carnival Corp doesn't mean they need to have the same policies.

When did Princess allow you to carry on all the wine you wanted? When we sailed with them we were limited to 1 bottle per person of legal drinking age.

We last sailed them about 4 years ago, but I was just reading recent posts on Princess board that said there was no limit , or at least none was being enforced.

Until quite recently there was never any limit specified in the actual Princess cruise contract, although the FAQ document sent to passengers pre-cruise said 1 bottle per person. There was alway much discussion of this on the Princess boards over the years (yes, the discrepancy continued for years) but the consensus was that the contract would trump the FAQ if ever questioned -- which it didn't appear to be.... Just as on HAL, many cruisers openly took on substantial quantities of wine to drink onboard.

Now Princess has changed the wording in their contract and also has printed some new language on the luggage labels. Much discusssion of this on the Princess forums if you should want to follow it.

It is just a rumor and definitely nothing coming from HAL about this and I rather doubt there will be any changes very soon. As for Princess that is very true but the biggest thing with Princess is they have always had this rule but did not strongly enforce it. So for some reason. I believe there may have been a sailing that enforced it so suddenly that is the talk of Princess. Princess has always looked the other way as long as you did not go crazy bringing on cases. If someone brought on three bottles in their carry on for two people, or brought one bottle back in a port I really do not think they will change even though it is their policy. It is just those that try to abuse the system that causes that crack down.

It is just a rumor and definitely nothing coming from HAL about this and I rather doubt there will be any changes very soon. As for Princess that is very true but the biggest thing with Princess is they have always had this rule but did not strongly enforce it. So for some reason. I believe there may have been a sailing that enforced it so suddenly that is the talk of Princess. Princess has always looked the other way as long as you did not go crazy bringing on cases. If someone brought on three bottles in their carry on for two people, or brought one bottle back in a port I really do not think they will change even though it is their policy. It is just those that try to abuse the system that causes that crack down.

Seems Carnival Corp. made trade off policies giving Princess the no smoking on veranda benefit and apparently limiting wine which can brought aboard and HAL got the end of the straw which permits smoking on verandas and unmlimited wine brought on board.

Each got a positive and a negative. Each of us can decide which, to us, is the positive/negative.

You can check it with your luggage or you can carry it on. We have always carried it on ourselves. We sailed with a couple a few years ago that brought on 4 cases - just put a luggage tag on the boxes and they were delivered to their cabin. Mind you they were in the Penthouse for B2B and they hosted a wine tasting for our roll call.

The wines can be checked or carried on? On Disney, passengers can bring anything they want onboard, but it has to be carried on.

and therein lies the rub - and may (?) be part of the problem. Yes, some people do 'check' it. Most of us carry it on. I have this warped idea about not making extra work for the stewards - and, if I can't carry it on - I have too much:rolleyes: No judgements on anyone else - it's just me. Besides, if you have taken the time to choose a nice vintage, the last thing I want is a broken bottle;)

Besides, if you have taken the time to choose a nice vintage, the last thing I want is a broken bottle;)

And how do you think that bottle got from France, or Italy or Australia to Canada in the first place? Let me tell you, in the same box I slap a luggage tag on and hand over to the porters.

And how do you think that bottle got from France, or Italy or Australia to Canada in the first place? Let me tell you, in the same box I slap a luggage tag on and hand over to the porters.

You are braver than I - I have watched how the luggage is tossed around:rolleyes: Glad it works for you:D

You can check it with your luggage or you can carry it on. We have always carried it on ourselves. We sailed with a couple a few years ago that brought on 4 cases - just put a luggage tag on the boxes and they were delivered to their cabin. Mind you they were in the Penthouse for B2B and they hosted a wine tasting for our roll call.

Okay. Who are these people and how do I get them on my ship?!!

:D

If you are going to drink it a public dining area, you are subject to a corkage fee.

Incorrect information: if you take it to a dining area, bar or lounge you are subject to a corkage fee; If you take to any other public area you will be told to take it back to your cabin.

From HAL's website:

Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.

Archived