Booking round trip or oneway each way?

ifuonlyknewme

Hi

I have also ways booked my flights round trip but I was wondering if anyone has ever booked oneway each way and how that worked for them? I have a cruise booked in Oct of 2013 and would love to book with one of my favorite airlines but they don't have the return flight out yet. So I was thinking of booking my flight out and then waiting for the flight home to be posted and then book that.

Any thouhts would be great.

Nellie

You did not mention where you will be flying, but I have found in my research that it usually costs more to book two one-way tickets.

It really depends. Domestically in the US, roundtrips are often just two one-way tickets lumped together with one price, and one way flights are often the same price. Internationally, it's quite different.

You did not mention where you will be flying, but I have found in my research that it usually costs more to book two one-way tickets.

I'm sorry I should have said we are flying to LA California.

Thanks.

Mary, you must fly to Hawaii or International?

I find that for flights in the continental US the RT and two one way costs are the same. You can actually save money sometimes by booking them at different times. The outgoing and returning flights do not always go on sale at the same time. The disadvantage is that you would need to play two change fees if you have to make a change. I have never had to do this. Boston to LAX should fall in this category. You can check it by using some future dates to confirm.

I have found that International and Hawaii flights are almost always more expensive when booked as two one ways. This makes it tough when taking a cruise that starts and ends in different places. I always check the multi city option which works for Hawaii flights.

Good luck.

On my recent purchase (yesterday:) ) of round trip from EWR to HNL the one way to Hawaii was MORE than the round trip. I was looking for an award ticket thus the one way on almost every airline that flies from east coast to Hawaii was checked.

For your trip to Los Angeles, check out one way fares because many of the discount airlines (Southwest, Jet Blue, Air Tran) seem to quote one way and the other airlines try matching -- if you are lucky.

We have done it with both Southwest and Jet Blue when the departure date was available but the return wasn't out yet. The booking window for these airlines is short and often the cruise has been booked long before. It is easier with Southwest because in the travel tools you can find out the exact date (and time) the new block will be released. With Jet Blue this is not a published fact so when I have the departure booked I end up checking their website 5 times a day just in case. The do send an e-mail a day or two before as a member of their FF plan but I can't help checking just in case.

With either of these airlines I wouldn't wait to book departure as it might go up a lot before the return becomes available. And, if you buy the departure and it goes down, they will give you a credit.

My daughter, son-in-law and grandaughter flew RIC-MCO one way on Jet Blue and the other on AirTran a couple of years ago. They were able to save about $75 each by buying 2 one-ways. When we went to MCO in December we tried pricing it out this way and it was much more than a round trip. It seems it is one of those oddities that is part of booking flights.

We booked one-way for both our depart and return. The SW and AirTran release dates fell right between our cruise week. Since I usually book early to get good deals and needed 4 tickets, I booked the outgoing on AirTran for a steel of a rate AND a direct flt. I waited the few months for the return date to be released and found a flt that fit our time schedule on SW. Not a direct flt but a layover without a plane chage. I priced the roundtrip out on both carriers, just to see, and the rates were the same.

:)

I like the SOuthwest Airlines as an option. There are others like SW depending on your location. Also check nearby alternate airports, I.e. the NYC folks can check Westchester,

Long Island, Newark, Philadelphia, Allentown depending on what part of the metro area gives them the best option.

Good luck

Archived