Let's talk about carry on bags!

sweetpea222

OK folks! I'm heading to Europe next summer with my family. The trip is 35 days total, including a 12 night Med cruise. We've decided to travel with just carry on, and then buy a bag in Paris at the end of the trip for all the stuff we intend to buy along the way. :)

We're flying Air Canada, and then most likely Easy Jet for two short flights while there.

Can you give me some pointers regarding carry on bags? Soft or hard sided? Pockets on the front or streamlined? Duffle or regular? Expensive or just something that will see me through the trip?

Since were in Canada, store recommendations that are Canadian would be appreciated!

Check size a& weight restrictions for Easy Jet it is stricter than AC

Are you backpacking it around before the cruise or having a hotel as a base then doing day trips?

May sure your bag is lightweight & easy to carry

Soft sided are easier to squish into the overheads ..outside pockets are good to stick little things you may need to get at without opening up your suitcase

Check the luggage restrictions and go by the lightest weight. DD had a problem with a codeshare to Europe once. Flew an American airline (forget which one) and connected to Alitalia. Alitalia's luggage allowances were less than the American one. Not sure what DD said but she didn't have to pay extra.

How light do want to go? Wheels add weight. DD has used an ebags convertible carryon. She uses the TLS when flying on RyanAir and it's 1bag-10k carryon policy. She brings a collapsible dufflebag. For the flight home she checks the ebag.

I'm always getting coupons from ebags.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370035

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-20-convertible/242274?productid=10211619

Pacsafe just came out with a rolling 21" that weighs just over 6lbs.

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/toursafe-21-anti-theft-wheeled-carry-on/250570?productid=10233555

Haven't had a problem with our other Pacsafe items.

Be careful with pockets on carry on bags. Lines like EasyJet not only weigh the bags but will make you slide them into a frame at check-in, and often again at the gate, and if they don't fit you will have to gate check them or possibly pay more, but at some airports you won't have the latter option. Also on some budget airlines, certainly in Europe, the carry on bag is ALL you are allowed - so no pocket book / camera / laptop bag / newspaper / carrier with stuff you bought in the departure lounge. That is pretty limiting.

If you can manage to pack for a trip like that into carry ons I would be extremely impressed!

Don't forget about the Rufus Roo vest! It's my new travel friend :)

https://www.rufusroo.com/shop/

(I put a packable shopping bag into one of the pockets, and slip the vest into it on the plane, then put it under my seat or on top of my carryon in the overhead.)

A Scottevest vest or jacket would be another, more stylish suggestion that you could also wear while touring.

If you use the vest, along with a lightweight carryon (I have a rolling bag with hidden backpack straps that weighs less than 3 pounds, and easily holds a week's worth of clothing; I bought it at a small luggage shop here, but I'm sure you could find something similar online) should give you plenty of easily lugged packing space. I love having the option of putting it on my back if I want to keep my hands free. No matter what type of bag you choose, I also vote for soft sided- just take care not to over stuff it.

You might also want to see if you can find a carryon with a zipper that expands the bag. I have one that I use on trips when I know I'll be doing some shopping, and then check the bag on my flight home.

Also, you might want to look into quick drying underwear. Companies like Magellan's carry a selection; I recently spent a week traveling with just 2 pair- the one I was wearing, and a spare. I took a couple of minutes to wash them out every night, and they were dry by morning.

HTH!

(I put a packable shopping bag into one of the pockets, and slip the vest into it on the plane, then put it under my seat or on top of my carryon in the overhead.)

A Scottevest vest or jacket would be another, more stylish suggestion that you could also wear while touring.

If you use the vest, along with a lightweight carryon (I have a rolling bag with hidden backpack straps that weighs less than 3 pounds, and easily holds a week's worth of clothing; I bought it at a small luggage shop here, but I'm sure you could find something similar online) should give you plenty of easily lugged packing space. I love having the option of putting it on my back if I want to keep my hands free. No matter what type of bag you choose, I also vote for soft sided- just take care not to over stuff it.

You might also want to see if you can find a carryon with a zipper that expands the bag. I have one that I use on trips when I know I'll be doing some shopping, and then check the bag on my flight home.

Also, you might want to look into quick drying underwear. Companies like Magellan's carry a selection; I recently spent a week traveling with just 2 pair- the one I was wearing, and a spare. I took a couple of minutes to wash them out every night, and they were dry by morning.

HTH!

Wow, that looks like something invented by a shoplifter!;):p:D

I am a frequent Easyjet traveller and actually they are one of the better low cost airlines. You are only allowed 1 item of hand luggage, so if you are travelling also with a laptop, handbag or camera bag these have to be tucked into your suitcase. If you buy duty free at the airport you are allowed to take the carrier bag on board separately. (I tend to tuck my handbag into the carrier bag!)

The hand luggage can weigh anything, so long as you are able to place it in the overhead locker yourself, and they don't weigh it at any point. I must say though I have seen people having their wheelie suitcases taken away from them at the gate because whilst the actual case measurements fit the easyjet regulations, they didn't take into account the wheels on the bottom, therefore it would not fit the sizing crate at the gate. make sure your bag INCLUDING wheels fits the length and width dimensions. Other than that you will be fine! :)

Great tips everyone, thanks!

I did do some research on EasyJet vs. Air Canada's carry on bag restrictions, and interestingly enough, EasyJet is a touch bigger than Air Canada.

In case anyone is interested:

Air Canada allows your bag to be 23 x 40 x 55 cm

Easy Jet allows your ONE item to be 25 x 45 x 56 cm including wheels.

The wheels are the interesting part. I'm so glad I'm doing research first, as I noticed while out browsing that some bags have wheels that stick out well below the bottom of the bag, while others have wheels that are more recessed. Definitely would make a difference of more than a few cm.

It is definitely going to be challenging to pack for that long in such a small bag, but that's our goal. We primarily want to be as mobile as possible as we plan on taking the tube/train and when in Venice, the Vaporetto to our hotel. I am starting to plan a packing list, and yes, the magellan's undies are on it! :)

Now, about weight...do you take along one of those luggage scales with you when you shop for luggage?? I'd like it to be light as possible, but more importantly I need it to hold more than you would think from looking at it. :D

Take the tape measure with you when shopping for a bag

I read some place ...pack your bag then carry around several blocks in your neighbourhood or wheel it & see how it feels

If doing a lot of travelling on the trains or subways take it for a ride here & see if you can manage it for long periods of time.

If you get wheels look for the 360 degree ones much easier to control but on the cobbles of Europe wheels are not so good

Enjoy

I couldn't dream of packing so lightly but applaud those who do.

By the time your trip is over, you may be happy to discard most of the clothing you've worn so much and will have that extra room in your bag for the trip home if you purchase anything along the way.

I use bags by Red Oxx made in Montana USA. No wheels. I can go 7 days with the bag that I have and with hand laundry can make it to about 9 days.

I have done cruises carry on only but that was for hot climates.

Check out the OneBag.com WEB site and the RedOxx.com WEB site for packing ideas and info.

Well it helps you are going in the summer. For at least the land part of your trip you will want something lightweight. I also like something I can carry on my back. We love our Scottevests. They may be hot to touring around, but they are great at airports. Put all the little (and not so little things in it and then take it off for security. You can carry guidebooks, ipads, etc.

Check into Rick Steves site (and his guidebooks).

Yes, I'm starting to feel nervous about the whole idea. That's why I want to find the right bag and then figure out how much I can fit into it!

We're probably crazy, but what the heck. As you say, I will have a good excuse to buy some new things while we're there!

I'll check out the links, but with the cost of shipping, will most likely have to shop locally.

I'll check out the links, but with the cost of shipping, will most likely have to shop locally.

I agree

I checked ebags saw one on sale for $40 by the time it gets here it was closer to $70 & that was with the free shipping

HEYS have some nice bags but not sure if they have soft sided ones

We have the hard case & a half & half

Good luck

Yes, I'm starting to feel nervous about the whole idea. That's why I want to find the right bag and then figure out how much I can fit into it!

We're probably crazy, but what the heck. As you say, I will have a good excuse to buy some new things while we're there!

In Canada look at Mountain Equipment Co-op. (Here in California our first stop is REI, very similar to MEC.)

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

Our experience is that stores have more variety in store than online.

HTH!

It will be FAR too hot to wear something like this in Europe in the summer.

You don't need any special quick dry travel underwear. You can buy underwear of quick dry fabric in any department store.

PS--I would travel with more than two pair--you will likely want to take a shower before dinner most nights, and will need a clean pair afterwards.

I use a TUMI. It's "legal" in any sizer and fully packed weighs 20-25 pounds.

It's got a million miles (air, sear, land) on it, and is still like new except for a few scuff marks on the fabric which in no way affect performance.

I pair it with a Kipling large duffle (which is only the size of a gym bag). I pack my camera gear, make up, medications, one change of clothing, and anything I'll need during the flight into that.

That would be a serious investment piece of luggage! I just looked at the UK TUMI site and their cabin baggage ranges from £295-£1495 (so about $460-$2350) with most around £395-£495 ($620-$778). I'm sure they are fabulous bits of luggage, but I would have to fly an awful lot (as some travellers undoubtedly too, especially through their business) to justify that - and it would be a hefty chunk towards another cruise!

Eagle Creek (or some other brand) packing system. My sister and her husband went to Europe for 2 weeks with a backpack and these packing cubes. We bought some and they are great. Not only can you get three times as much in a suitcase (at least)....shirts, pants etc. are not wrinkled when you get there! Here is a link to them at REI for an example.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Travel/Eagle%20Creek%20Pack%20It?gclid=COiK3oXFpLUCFUKoPAodThkANQ&s_kwcid=TC|13029|eagle%20creek%20packing%20cubes||S|p|22943274125&ef_id=Wt5P7ddIUCIAAE94:20130207154416:s

Easy jets website says their luggage weight restriction is 20kg, about 44 lb. Thats close to most American carriers, not too bad for anyone used to packing light, and fits into the 20inch suitcase handily. When weight is an issue choose travel clothing with lots of pockets - including a rain/windbreaker jacket even for hot weather travelling. These are cheaper than Made-for-travel vests and jackets, but the pockets serve the same function. Especially good if the pockets zipper. I put all my heavier stuff in my pockets if close to weight limit. Once past airport security put it in a packable nylon grocery-sized bag to store under the seat.

I find that I can take any length trip with the same basic stuff - 3 - 4 changes of clothes, my formal wear is a sparkly top that packs easily and weighs almost nothing worn with basic black slacks or skirt. i agree with whoever wrote about packing cubes and sleeves - compresses and organizes - terrific packing tools! I use travel sized products never full sized shampoo,cosmetics, etc. I pack "just in case" first aid and over the counter medicines with just one or two day supply - if I need more I can get it in most of the countries I tend to visit. Prescription meds - ask your pharmacist to print a label for each med, and put it on a plastic baggie - takes much less room than your 3 month supply of meds.

Luggage - wheeled weighs more, but worth it if you are going to be hauling over any distance, including through airports.

Avoid 360 spinner wheels - they always stick out and add an inch or more to length of your suitcase, can not handle cobblestone streets or rough surfaces, and when checked are likely candidates to be damaged.

Backpack, duffel bag or wheel-less luggage weigh the least but are most likely to be damaged by airlines if checked, and take more effort to carry.

The ideal luggage - depends on which feature you value most and how much money you can invest.

I loved my carried on Rick Steves convertible (backpack to shoulder strap) but really want wheeled now I'm in my 60s. I'm now using a TravelPro Maxilite 2 20inch rollaboard http://www.nextag.com/travelpro-maxlite/products-html . Its not one of those bags that will last a lifetime, but its a good carryon that meets my current priorities.

If its your first packing light adventure - tips for wardrobe -

• Basic slacks/skirts in solid colors that can be worn with every top.
  • Wear your heaviest clothing and shoes.
  • Walking shoes can double for gym shoes; a good choice of sandals can do triple duty as evening sandals and pool footwear - mine are from teva.
  • Handwashable tops and underwear - try washing in the sink at home - instead of wringing out as much as possible, wring lightly, then roll in towel and squeeze out as much as possible -rolling in towel produces less wrinkles. Hang to dry and see how it looks next day - thats how I choose what to pack.
  • pack concentrated laundry detergent in 100ml travel bottles (or old travel shampoo bottles) the extra concentrated detergent used for front-loading washing machines takes less detergent to wash your garments. Be sure to put these in your TSA ziplock bag
  • try to live out of your suitcase for a week at home to see if there is anything else you forgot to pack

I've been carry-on traveling for more than a dozen years, usually for 2 to 3 weeks each trip, after having three bad experiences with lost and/or damaged luggage.

LOL! Thanks for the memories. You reminded me of trips to the airport with my uncle, who used to travel a lot years ago before they had all the airport security.

To get around luggage limitations, he would wear his photographer's jacket with all the pockets loaded, and a tool belt strapped around him with all sorts of additional stuff hanging from it, including a flask of his favorite beverage, of course. The poor man would be so loaded down he could barely walk out to the plane. :D

Archived