Credit Card Hold

colbe

For each on-line check-in, HAL is clear about the applicable amount for the appropiate cruise. From an upcoming cruise:

Onboard Credit/Debit Card Terms and Conditions

I hereby grant permission to Holland America Line (hereinafter "HAL") to use the credit/debit card(s) I have presented to settle my onboard account and the onboard accounts for guests as designated during my online and/or onboard registration. I understand and agree that HAL may seek multiple authorizations on my credit/debit card(s) to enable HAL to settle the onboard charges. I further understand that the initial authorization will be in an amount equal to US $30.00 per person multiplied by the number of days of the cruise, and that if there are charges in excess of the initial authorization amount, HAL may seek authorizations for those amounts. I also acknowledge that my onboard purchases will be charged to my credit/debit card(s) in U.S. dollars. Any conversion to a currency other than U.S. dollars is at the discretion of the credit/debit card issuing bank. In the event that sufficient credit or fund account balance is not available, or the authorization of such card(s) is (are) rejected, I hereby grant HAL permission to charge any credit/debit card(s) that I have previously submitted for payment.

The bold is mine.

I believe it is $30.

Yup, $30 for cruises over 25 days. Following is a quote from HAL's website:

"Upon embarkation, we will seek an initial authorization on your card(s) for USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise. For cruises longer than 25 days, the hold is USD $30.00 per person, per day."

Mike

But what amount applies if you're only doing a shorter segment of a 64 day cruise? I guess I'll have to do the check-in to find out. ;)

Well, they do say "USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise", so I'm guessing $60.:D

Mike

You are correct. The amount of the hold is NOT $60/day as previously stated. That is only the amount for shorter cruises.

OP did not state how long his/her cruise was to be.

As most people here usually to do not take cruises over 25 days, I answered with the appropriate amount for the cruises under 25 days.

OP did not state how long his/her cruise was to be.

As most people here usually to do not take cruises over 25 days, I answered with the appropriate amount for the cruises under 25 days.

I've learned not to make assumptions. I have NO idea what length of cruise the OP or even "most people here" take. Do you have figures backing up that statement?

If the answer can vary, I find that 'usually is' works better than 'is' alone. KirkNC brought up a valid point, $60/pp/day isn't always the amount of the CC hold and clarity is important. ;)

Well, they do say "USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise", so I'm guessing $60.:D

Mike

I agree it likely is $60 pp per day for that short a segment.

It is $60. What made me start to wonder is that we received a large packet from HAL containing things that should only be going to those on the full GV (a letter from Stein C welcoming us to the GV, instructions on how to do the advance shipment of baggage, and an 80 page hard-copy brochure of all possible excursion) so I thought that maybe they would only hold the $30/p/d. ;)

The OP did not ask how much the hold was so we could also assume that the OP was aware of how much the hold was and just wanted to know when it would take affect. ;)

Good example of how a thread can go off on multiple tangents.:) OP's original question was answered in the second post, went a bit sideways when Krazy Kruizers volunteered a bit of additional information, then took a new direction entirely with cattl331's question. Meantime, Mary Ellen is being grumpy today, adding a new dimension to everything!:D:D:D

Sure do enjoy this board!:rolleyes:

Archived