Question for retired teachers who used the teacher discount?

SnorkelBoy

Friends we are traveling with booked using the teachers promotion offered last summer but the wife is retired. What paperwork/documentation was required of retired teachers at the pier to show you qualified for this promotion?

Thanks

Dave

We used the teacher discount and are retired. We took our teacher retirement certificate and a pay form that we receive twice a year. We were not asked for any proof when we checked in. We were prepared just in case.

teacher, firefighter, military, over 55 discounts. Have traveled with folks using all of these discounts, they have never been asked to prove their status. Though I am sure others will have different experiences.

Well, over 55 they have your date of birth from your id so can verify, and it's often apparent.

I haven't seen any specific items listed that are required for verification for the teacher discount.

I have a copy of a letter acknowledging my request for service retirement on the school system letterhead and assume that will be enough if they ask for verification. My retirement pension is from the state system so that doesn't indicate I was a teacher.

For poster Dizney: Celebrity had a special offer for a teacher discount of $300 that ran during the summer of 2012. I'm not sure how long it ran but I just happened to see it under Special offers. It was not in the booking pane where you indicate over 55, firefighter, military etc.

In the summer of 2012, there was a Teacher's Discount for a couple of cruise lines. It was for active or retired teachers. For a 7 day cruise on Celebrity, it was $200 off and an additional $100 cruise credit. Not bad. You could not combine this offer with shareholder credits.

Excactly my question Dizney- why the heck to teachers get a discount?? Maybe because they survived a live long career as teacher! Kind of a reward. LOL. Is there anyone out there who get the longest vacation?? LOL! No no- just kidding they should get what they diserve? ( Do they??)

Excactly my question Dizney- why the heck to teachers get a discount?? Maybe because they survived a live long career as teacher! Kind of a reward. LOL. Is there anyone out there who get the longest vacation?? LOL! No no- just kidding they should get what they diserve? ( Do they??)

My daughter is a teacher, and the cruise rates are always significantly higher when the kids are out of school. Teachers have no choice as to when they can take their vacations, so they cannot take advantage of seasonal price reductions. I think a discount for teachers is very fair, as it puts them on a more equal playing field when it comes to cruise pricing.

I hope that was sarcasm! You opened a can of worms there!

I know for me in Texas (NON UNION!), my salary is based on days worked. I work at home planning lessons, grading papers, researching, etc countless hours without pay. Summer is spent in recovery mode or taking classes to keep my skills up-to-date.

My daughter is a teacher, and the cruise rates are always significantly higher when the kids are out of school. Teachers have no choice as to when they can take their vacations, so they cannot take advantage of seasonal price reductions. I think a discount for teachers is very fair, as it puts them on a more equal playing field when it comes to cruise pricing.

Parents taking children on cruises also have no choice but to sail when the prices are higher as well. No discounts for us. Just sayin..... One can rest assured the cruiselines do not do this to be fair. It's a marketing gimmick, just like senior fares and state discounts. Trying to attract certain demographics.

Seriously, do we have to start this same BS as when the teachers discount was announced last summer? I asked a simple question and it was answered. Thanks to those that answered my question.

Dave

Keep Calm And Cruise On!

I hope that was sarcasm! You opened a can of worms there!

I know for me in Texas (NON UNION!), my salary is based on days worked. I work at home planning lessons, grading papers, researching, etc countless hours without pay. Summer is spent in recovery mode or taking classes to keep my skills up-to-date.

Teachers DO NOT GET PAID FOR SUMMER!! WE WORK 10 MONTHS, AND GET PAID FOR THOSE MONTHS!.I SUPPOSE I SHOULDN'T GET STARTED.

Friends we are traveling with booked using the teachers promotion offered last summer but the wife is retired. What paperwork/documentation was required of retired teachers at the pier to show you qualified for this promotion?

Thanks

Dave

I called Celebrity today and spoke to our agent there. He said it is highly unlikely anyone will ask at check-in. However, he said to bring some form of identification that you are or have been a teacher. This could be a pay stub, NEA card, copy of a professional license, etc.

Thanks for the reminder!

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Dave

A retired teacher-:) Just got off the Reflection and nobody asked for any proof.

Archived