Seabourn Sojourn Food and Service

HappyFeet13

We were in Ushuaia. Argentina today. After we finished our shore excursion we bought huge servings of King Crab to go at a local restaurant and brought it to the ship, but they wouldn't let us board with it! We ate as much as we could while standing on the dock and threw the rest away. It was unseasonably warm so we decided to go to deck 8 and eat outside by the bar. They had surf and turf. It was great. We ordered 3 (instead of the standard 1) prawns and the 8 oz steak. Plus i ordered a rum punch and then another. Plenty to eat and very good. If it's warm enough, I'll eat all my dinners out there. It's amazing how a rum punch or two can change your outlook!

I am starting to wonder about the small portions complaint now!!!!

And I may be in the minority here but I have found the portions of many of the dishes on Seabourn to be too large.( And to my experience I have never seen anyone turned down if they asked for a double portion of something they really enjoyed.) It took me to the end of our last cruise to get a small omelet instead of one made from a dozen eggs, a couple of pancakes instead of a huge stack, and a single instead of double order when I special ordered escargot for my main course.The night we dined at the chophouse on SB my veal chop would have fed a family and I felt bad that i did not have a to go bag or dog to give the rest of it to after I was finished. In the US restaurant portions have gotten so big it is no wonder we are in the middle of an obesity epidemic. I am very much a foodie but do not need a large portion of something good. I'd rather savor it and leave the table with wonderful flavor memories than a too full stomach.

OK...just to clarify. Last night at "surf and turf" you had a choice of small or large steak and prawns. I chose small steak. (And here, small means it is quite thin. Much thinner than you would get if you ordered any kind of steak anywhere in the US). The prawn was a tail of about 3 1/2" by about 1/2" to 3/4". It, when removed from the shell, made 4 very small bite sized pieces. I had the small steak and THREE prawns because I ordered more as soon as I saw what I was being served (as did everyone else at my table). I disagree that one should have to say, "I'll have a double order of shrimp cocktail" when one wants more than TWO shrimp, or "I'd like a triple order of cream cheese", when one wants more than a melon scoop of cream cheese. Of course you can always order more...that's not the point. The point is that there is such a thing as an appetizer-size and a main-portion size. It doesn't have to be huge, but there SHOULD be a discernible difference. If I get two small scallops on a standard appetizer, the person across the table from me who ordered it as their main course should not get THREE small scallops. Remember, you don't know what size you are going to get until they deliver your main course at the same time they deliver everyone else's. That makes it quite clumsy to order more as it throws off the timing of the entire meal for everyone else while you wait for your "extra" portion. By the way, it isn't just quantity...it is also quality that is an issue here. Small portions, mediocre food. I'm going to quit talking about this, as I've made my point and I am not alone on the Sojourn in my opinion. I believe strongly that I am in the majority, based on other people I have spoken with. But I don't want to argue about it or have to constantly defend my position. For what it is worth, it is my opinion. I have been on Seabourn four times before and have never had a single word of criticism, and have never even considered sailing with anyone else. Now, I'm telling you that the food quality and quantity are 2nd rate, the level of service has dropped at least a grade-level overall, and my next cruise will probably not be on Seabourn.

It took me to the end of our last cruise to get a small omelet instead of one made from a dozen eggs, a couple of pancakes instead of a huge stack, and a single instead of double order when I special ordered escargot for my main course.

To clarify, you were delivered 12 escargot and an omelet made of 12 eggs?

Jim in Florida: We will be joining the Seabourn for the reverse of your cruise next Monday. I take it from your comments that we should eat outside early in the cruise while the weather is still warm. Being Platinum Seabourners, I am disturbed by your comments. Did you ever talk to the hotel manager and who is he??? Also, how did you like Patrick's tour to Volunteer point? Thanks for any other suggestions you can make since we are obviously committed to the trip. Maxine

I'm really sorry that I forgot to add to my last post that I am talking about the Sojourn specifically...not Seabourn in general. I have only been on the little sisters and the last time was 3 years ago. My experience on all of them was the same...superb service, great food. :) I have read other threads about Sojourn having food/service problems, but I haven't seen many negative comments about any of the other five Seabourn ships. Some posters on this thread have talked about their previous Seabourn experience. Perhaps they were on a different vessel, or if they were on Sojourn, maybe it wasn't recently. Let's be sure that I started this thread specifically about the Sojourn, not to establish a food and service commentary on 6 different ships.

Jim. ,

It's unfortunate that you were made to feel defensive, a too frequent situation on these boards. I respect your posts/comments and hope that you and the others on board who share them will communicate them to the on board powers as well as to the main office. Paula

Oregon 50...You made me laugh! Weren't the escargot dishes porcelain with 6 indentations?

I have been posting on the other thread re your trip, and will answer your question here, but I'll jump to the other thread in a couple of days to answer questions, and won't address "non-food" stuff here after this. We didn't do Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts. Last I heard, he has stopped going there with Seabourn passengers because Seabourn is only in port for 8 hours and Patrick has great fear of not getting his people back from the tour in time. He (and the other independent tour people we met in Stanley) do not like the Sojourn tour director AT ALL! He has told them that if they do not get Seabourn people back on time, he will leave the passengers behind! They had had some awful rainy weather lately, causing almost all of the tour jeeps to be late. Seabourn's own tour was 2 hours late getting back! But he has scared the independent operators (his competitors). As a result, Patrick says he won't go to Vol Pt with Seabourn people any more. We went with Nyree Heathman, whom Patrick recommended to us. She charged us $180 U.S. each. (Seabourn charges $395). Twelve of us who had met on the CruiseCritic thread all went together in three of Nyree's vehicles. We had a wonderful time. The Kings were spectacular and we saw many, many Gentoo's and Magellanic penguins, too. We were on the first tender at 8:30, ashore and on the way at 9. The ride is rough but worth it! We each took at least 200 pictures. Our CC group has done several independent tours together. Yesterday was Ushuaia with Pira Tours, the only ones that land on the island and let you walk with penguins. We also often have dinner or lunch together. Recommend you form your own group on your trip. It makes things much more fun.

I'm really sorry that I forgot to add to my last post that I am talking about the Sojourn specifically...not Seabourn in general. I have only been on the little sisters and the last time was 3 years ago. My experience on all of them was the same...superb service, great food. :) I have read other threads about Sojourn having food/service problems, but I haven't seen many negative comments about any of the other five Seabourn ships. Some posters on this thread have talked about their previous Seabourn experience. Perhaps they were on a different vessel, or if they were on Sojourn, maybe it wasn't recently. Let's be sure that I started this thread specifically about the Sojourn, not to establish a food and service commentary on 6 different ships.

Well, you did say in your OP that "I don't know if this is a Sojourn problem or a Seabourn problem" so it is not unreasonable for other to talk about their non-Sojourn experience.

You also said a few posts ago that

"Now, I'm telling you that the food quality and quantity are 2nd rate, the level of service has dropped at least a grade-level overall, and my next cruise will probably not be on Seabourn."

This suggests you have a problem with Seabourn and not just Sojourn. My own experience suggests that, while there may well be a problem with Sojourn, there is not really a Seabourn wide problem.

I can well believe, given some of the posts, that there may be a problem with Sojourn - possibly at the management level. It happens and it needs to get fixed. My experience of Seabourn is that it will get fixed.

oregon50,

OK, I admit the omelet comment was an exaggeration( but I do think their normal omelet uses at least 4 eggs). The escargot comment is not an exaggeration( Paula's comment about the dish notwithstanding). Usually when I order it for a main course they bring me two ceramic dishes( 6 holes each) so yes, a dozen escargot. If have started with a salad, as I usually do, this is far too much food( because after all half the point of eating escargot is to dip a piece of bread into the garlic butter). On one cruise when I was ordering it the night before and the Assistant Maitre'd asked if I would like a double order since it was my main course I gave in since it seemed to be too hard to go against the system and said "OK double order will be fine ." I kid you not, the next night FOUR ceramic dishes of escargot showed up at my table!

oregon50,

...and the Assistant Maitre'd asked if I would like a double order since it was my main course I gave in since it seemed to be too hard to go against the system and said "OK double order will be fine ." I kid you not, the next night FOUR ceramic dishes of escargot showed up at my table!

Warren?... Did the same to me.

Just got back from the "Chef Dinner" in the main dining room. It was fantastic! It was a pre-set seven course tastings meal with the only choice being Baked Halibut or Roasted Tenderloin for the main course. Even on special nights like tonight there are always people who want something else and at our table of 8 we had one of those. He was cheerfully accommodated. The meal was successful at every single stage. The portions were small but appropriately so for a meal of so many courses, and the main course was a "main course" sized portion. Everyone at out table ate every morsel that they were served, and we had calls for seconds on the "Pecorino Ravioli" that was out of this world! It was like being on Seabourn of old, and gives great hope that I will have to eat every word of my earlier postings, which I will be very pleased to do. Was tonight an aberration? Or a new trend? Stay tuned.

Well the escargot just goes to show you that Seabourn does try to please LOL.

Food quality...taste and amount is such an individual matter...no wonder everyone has an different opinion.

As far as the Sojourn goes, we were happy with the ship in Sept, the dinning room parade not withstanding. There are always some little things that aren't just right on any cruise even the little girls. I am just glad to be on a cruise anytime.

Jim, I do hope that your cruise on Sojoun has turn for the better. I know how upsetting continued service problems can be, as we did have that on repeated Regent cruises. Maybe that helped to make our Sojourn so much better. Though I couldn't really tell any different in the Seabourn Experience from the Pride in 2009 and 2012. Except that we like the bigger ship lay out much better.

Jim, I'm very disappointed that your Sojourn cruise is not living up to your expectations (in regards to food and service). You have sailed Seabourn before and know what can be achieved with a good crew. We spent 43 days on the Sojourn Quebec to Buenos Aries late 2011 and we had a fantastic cruise (although we felt the food was not as good as on other seabourn ships). I really appreciate your honesty with regards to the food and service. If you have not taken these issues directly to the HOT man then I would strongly encourage you to be very specific in your comments in the guest review at the end of the cruise. These really do get attention and if enough passengers make similar comments then management have to understand there is a real problem. I know one topic of debate in your posts has been portion size. While some guests like the portion size some do not so perhaps this issue will not be addressed by management. Poor food quality, and bad service are entirely different and if you name names and enough passengers name the same names I feel certain that action will be taken. There is too much competition out there for Seabourn to do nothing about repetitive complaints about the same staff/poor food quality/staff morale on one particular ship.

Thanks Jim in Florida - I am reading this post plus the other one you are doing on the Roll Call. Departing on Sojourn on 3/25 out of Manaus for the Amazon River and Caribbean. Plus my DH and I are going to Patagonia in September for his "big birthday", so I enjoyed reading your write up on the Torres del Paine excursion. Btw, where are in Florida? We are in Jupiter.

I'll post on the Roll Call board for the Sojourn sailing from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires re things unrelated to food/service. As to food and service...I met two couples yesterday at lunch on the shore excursion. We were commenting on the lamb that was served for lunch at Torres del Paine. It was like chunks of stewed lamb on the bones, like mini Osso Bucco's, unlike anything we've had before. That gave me an opening, "What do you think of the food on the Sojourn". They had sailed on Seabourn before, and said, "We used to rave about every meal. It was always delicious, and there were always so many great choices that it was hard to make a selection. Now the food is just OK...not bad...OK. And it is sometimes hard to find something we want, so we are often going to the "Classic" menu page and ordering a filet mignon or something like that". Fellow readers of this forum, they said it best and better than I have. In most cases, the food is not bad enough to complain about, but not good enough to rave about. They had missed the "Chef's Dinner" the night before, and it might have wowed them, as it did us. We told them it was absolutely delicious...all seven courses...and they should give the MDR another chance, and they will. After our 11 hour excursion yesterday, we went up to the "American BBQ" at the outdoor Patio Grill. It was about 60 degrees when we started, but as soon as we left the dock, the wind direction changed and the temp soon dropped to the high 40's. We wrapped in blankets and rushed through our food and got inside asap. In addition to regular BBQ things, they had "Lobster Mac 'n Cheese", and it was really, really good.

Hello all,

I'am also on this cruise and share most of Jim's comments. Although all in all Ive been very happy with the level of service. The portions are indeed tiny! ( and I'm not a big person!). Yes, I know you can ask for seconds ( and our whole table did the night of the lobster, the size was frankly ridiculous), but I dont think that should be the norm.

One observation I have is, why all day do I need to walk on hallways littered with baskets of cleaning utensils, gloves and the like? Sorry , but its gross.

Not sure if Jim commented on this but unfortunately we're undera"noro virus" alert so we're being very vigilant and washing our hands non stop!

The more I read on this thread the more I realise that a little knowledge helps enormously - though this should not be the case. When you are an experienced SB cruiser, you know what to say for the right kind of table on your first night; what dishes are good etc. etc.

It is a bit sad however that this does make a difference to your dining experience. It should all be equally good, both food and service, at all times, for all passengers.

Archived