C&A - HELP with upgrade points!!

skibyrd

AHH - we were offered an upgrade from balcony to Grand suite for $1000 - not insignificant. From all I have been reading on these boards, we should have received double cruise points. Just called C&A and was told that "unless you pay FULL fare of the grand suite you will not receive the double points!"

Even though our NEW fare was that of a JS - which would have gotten double points! Anyone have any different or new information - or idea on where to call next??:confused:

AHH - we were offered an upgrade from balcony to Grand suite for $1000 - not insignificant. From all I have been reading on these boards, we should have received double cruise points. Just called C&A and was told that "unless you pay FULL fare of the grand suite you will not receive the double points!"

Even though our NEW fare was that of a JS - which would have gotten double points! Anyone have any different or new information - or idea on where to call next??:confused:

If you paid for an upgrade to a GS, then you are definitely eligible for those extra points. Problem is when you call C&A you are being connected to the Oregon office and those folks need some serious training.:( This isn't the first time they offered misinformation.

On your other thread I told you to email AGoldstein@rccl.com or call RCI back (not C&A) and ask to speak to the Resolutions Department.

Agree also with calling the resolution department if C & A can't help you - and you definately should get double points as long as there was $ exchanged in the form of an additional charge for the upgrade. We had a GS upgrade once for significantly less than that and recieved the double points.

I think you will find on the C&A website it clearly says that you do not get double points if you get a complimentary upgrade or a reduced cost upgrade. So you were given the correct answer.

The agent who gave you the extra points was wrong...but hey, you got away with it!:cool:

I know because I was offered an upgrade to a JS once for a few hundred £ but as I didn't get the double points I didn't bother.

I think you will find on the C&A website it clearly says that you do not get double points if you get a complimentary upgrade or a reduced cost upgrade. So you were given the correct answer.

The agent who gave you the extra points was wrong...but hey, you got away with it!:cool:

I know because I was offered an upgrade to a JS once for a few hundred £ but as I didn't get the double points I didn't bother.

I've would appreciate a link to that part of the website. Thanks!:)

I've would appreciate a link to that part of the website. Thanks!:)

It's in the small print under the Member Benefits table:

"Cruise points are given for eligible cruises per stateroom category paid. Complimentary, promotional and/or reduced rate upgrades will not receive additional Cruise Points if final berth category is in a suite when moved from a lower stateroom category"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

Please go back and read the first post. The OP was offered an upgrade and paid $1000 for their JS cabin. It was not complimentary. They have been given the double points.

Would double points be earned if the OP upgraded to a GS after final payment because there was a price reduction? Would that not also be considered a reduced rate upgrade?

The phrase is "reduced rate upgrade", not reduced rate cabin price. My understanding is that if you pay the going rate for the cabin, by paying the difference in price, you are paying for that grade of cabin. If you are offered a special upgrade rate, you are not.

Certainly the oft asserted position that if you pay anything at all to upgrade to a suite you get the suite points, is not correct, per the terms ands conditions of C&A.

Maybe those folks in Oregon know something after all ;)

I've would appreciate a link to that part of the website. Thanks!

This is what it says in Footnote 14 on the Member's Benefits Page....

"One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS). Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category".

If it was a "reduced rate upgrade" they were not eligible :)

Would double points be earned if the OP upgraded to a GS after final payment because there was a price reduction? Would that not also be considered a reduced rate upgrade?

The phrase is "reduced rate upgrade", not reduced rate cabin price. My understanding is that if you pay the going rate for the cabin, by paying the difference in price, you are paying for that grade of cabin. If you are offered a special upgrade rate, you are not.

Certainly the oft asserted position that if you pay anything at all to upgrade to a suite you get the suite points, is not correct, per the terms ands conditions of C&A.

Maybe those folks in Oregon know something after all ;)

Or they are slowly learning by what we are telling them.:D

The unfortunate part of the RCI website is all the "gray (grey)" areas. It says one thing, but really means something else.

This is what it says in Footnote 14 on the Member's Benefits Page....

"One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS). Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category". ...

Or they are slowly learning by what we are telling them.:D

The unfortunate part of the RCI website is all the "gray (grey)" areas. It says one thing, but really means something else.

Thanks for the info Patti. I remember that footnote from the website, because it was a change from the pre Jan 2011 policy, and we all discussed it back then. However, as you noted, the verbage leaves much to be desired.

Archived