Friends of Bill W

cwbabe48

Bill W(ilson) was a co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W

Another group meeting that you may see listed in your daily Explorer is Friends of Dorothy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy

Last couple of HAL cruises I was on they no longer called it Friends of Dorothy. Now called GLBT meetings.

I never understood why they came up with these monikers. AA is a wonderful program that has helped countless people.

At least as far as the "Friends of Bill W" name goes, my understanding is that Alcoholics Anonymous is an official group, and the meetings onboard the ship are not sponsored, or affiliated, with that group. It's my understanding that the ship is not allowed to use the "AA" name.

I never understood why they came up with these monikers. AA is a wonderful program that has helped countless people. And, LGBT is not a disease that needs to be hidden by the "Friends of Dorothy" name.

At least as far as the "Friends of Bill W" name goes, my understanding is that Alcoholics Anonymous is an official group, and the meetings onboard the ship are not sponsored, or affiliated, with that group. It's my understanding that the ship is not allowed to use the "AA" name.

Bill W. was one of the two founders of AA. One of the most important guiding principles of AA is that members retain anonymity for each other. If there was a sign saying "Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting", anyone entering that room would be presumed by others (non-members) to be a member of AA, effectively negating the "anonymity" aspect of it. At least that is my understanding of it. And as far as whether it is an "official" meeting (again, this is JUST my understanding) any time two or more AA members meet to discuss the program IS a meeting.

(You may have seen bumper stickers that say "Friend of Bill W" .... a way of someone identifying themselves as an AA member to other members...)

Bill W. was one of the two founders of AA. One of the most important guiding principles of AA is that members retain anonymity for each other. If there was a sign saying "Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting", anyone entering that room would be presumed by others (non-members) to be a member of AA, effectively negating the "anonymity" aspect of it. At least that is my understanding of it. And as far as whether it is an "official" meeting (again, this is JUST my understanding) any time two or more AA members meet to discuss the program IS a meeting.

(You may have seen bumper stickers that say "Friend of Bill W" .... a way of someone identifying themselves as an AA member to other members...)

Seeing most cruise lines/ships have Friends of Bill W meetings it is far more widely known now what that means. Many of us have seen it scheduled in daily programs and have inquired so we have become more educated about it. The good and bad. It's good the meetings are listed but the bad some of the anonymity may be jeopardized for those who are concerned about that.

I have noticed on a couple of ships over the years that the "Friends of Bill W" meeting were held in strange places.

One ship -- Piano Bar -- S class ship when they had the original Piano Bar.

Amsterdam had the meetings one year in the King's Room --which had been turned into a storage area. There were 5 chairs and a podium set up for the meeting.

Archived